Options

when you were a kid would you rather get sick or go to school

13»

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's nice to skip every once in a while, a light cold is a nice excuse.
    "Police repeatedly tazed a man today when he apparently entered a local school and coughed on several random children."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Please annihilate my husk with the ur-virus, that I might writhe in agony and explode from both ends; such is still a far kinder fate than going to school.
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I faked sick pretty often.

One time I said I was sick just so I could stay home and play Animal Crossing.

In high school I became more honest about things and if I didn't want to go to math class or something I'd just pop my head in, get the assignment off the whiteboard and then leave.

I got a call from the vice principal after I had done this a few times and he was like, "You just walked into your class and then left? Why?"

"I didn't feel like going."

"... Well. You can't do that."

But I kept doing it.

one time one of our vice principals tried to get me to do a Saturday detention because I used swear words in an essay and I just said "no, I'm not gonna do that."

and then he just let it go!

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    High school was okay. Better than elementary by far. If that had gone any differently I might have ended up as a patient in my current workplace rather than an employee.

Mine is the reverse: I was actually fairly popular in elementary school, then less so after middle school (not at all helped by my "born again Christian" phase, which smacked right into my "puberty" phase), and by high school I had marooned myself on the isle of misfit toys (in my head if not exactly in reality)

almost the same exact thing here, the area I grew up in had near a dozen elementary schools, 4 middle schools, and one highschool. I was arguably the most popular kid in my elementary school, but by the time I got to high school I had like 3 people with which we mutually considered eachother friends. in no small part because somewhere along the way I realized I was a big introvert and really didn't have an interest in being around other people (especially teens who are often pretty shitty).

so thoughts of high school doesnt really fill me with happy memories. I did attend a technical school a few years later which was pretty cool though. almost everyone seemed to want to be there, and were willing interact with other people as if those people were also fellow human beings

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I would have rather not gotten sick, school was important and tolerable and being sick sucks.
    zonugal loves high school so much he has dedicated his entire life to never having to leave it

@Rorshach Kringle, I just want to further my progression into becoming Lee Russell.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Please annihilate my husk with the ur-virus, that I might writhe in agony and explode from both ends; such is still a far kinder fate than going to school.
    Zonugal wrote: »
    zonugal loves high school so much he has dedicated his entire life to never having to leave it

"Rorshach Kringle", I just want to further my progression into becoming Lee Russell.

oh yeah you are absolutely ending your career as a creepy cashier at wet seal

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    For about two months in sixth grade I threw up every Wednesday morning from stress. Most of my classmates sucked, and they were mostly the same people from kindergarten through eighth grade.

When I got to high school it took my entire freshman year to unclench and realize in retrospect how awful school had been up to that point. I just expected other kids to be cruel to me, because in my experience that's just how other kids were.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    one time one of our vice principals tried to get me to do a Saturday detention because I used swear words in an essay and I just said "no, I'm not gonna do that."

My vice principal thought my name was Andrew for four years. She started calling me that like we were buddies and like she was really interested in all her students, but since we weren't, and she wasn't, I just...didn't correct her for the duration

Cut to four years later and she's tasked with trying to convince me not to drop out after I've already done so, but she can't stop herself from opening in an icy huff that, "well your name *isn't* Andrew", and its like yeah, no shit lady, good talk

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm just going to call you Andrew from now on. Or probably forget all about it.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

In high school I became more honest about things and if I didn't want to go to math class or something I'd just pop my head in, get the assignment off the whiteboard and then leave.

I got a call from the vice principal after I had done this a few times and he was like, "You just walked into your class and then left? Why?"

But I kept doing it.

Oh fuck me I had a group English assignment where we had to analyze song lyrics where we could choose the songs we wanted to do. We got marked for a 60 flat because "the songs were explicit, which she would have been okay with if we'd talked to her first about it."

The 'explicit' word they had was "hell!" That's not a real fuckin' curse, get over yourself, jesus. Which is more or less what I told her, in more polite terms, but she wouldn't budge. Only failing assignment I had through all high school (well, of the ones I turned in). Still salty.

Weirdly enough, each of the three songs we chose separately had exactly one instant of 'hell.' Mine was Leningrad.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah, that's bullshit!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

But I kept doing it.

Oh fuck me I had a group English assignment where we had to analyze song lyrics where we could choose the songs we wanted to do. We got marked for a 60 flat because "the songs were explicit, which she would have been okay with if we'd talked to her first about it."

The 'explicit' word they had was "hell!" That's not a real fuckin' curse, get over yourself, jesus. Which is more or less what I told her, in more polite terms, but she wouldn't budge. Only failing assignment I had through all high school (well, of the ones I turned in). Still salty.

Weirdly enough, each of the three songs we chose separately had exactly one instant of 'hell.' Mine was Leningrad.

To remove cursing from music is to remove emotion. The entire point of music. What in the fuck!

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    My parents refused to buy any game consoles but would rent one from Blockbuster when we got sick. Kid me was willing to get the plague since that meant getting a SNES or Sega. Eventually my parents gave up and got an N64 when it came out to keep me and my brother from trying to get sick.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

But I kept doing it.

You had both reached the point in your life where you realized you didn't have to play that game. You knew detention was bullshit and he knew trying to force you to do it was more work than it was worth.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig