As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It is fun, though it gets a little silly when everyone's doing it, an IDK vs Kruleboyz vs Sylvaneth skirmish is going to leave a right mess!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Make it a four way battle with Blades of Khorne or Khorne Demons using the power of the Blood Tithe to make it rain blood and you've got a recipe for one messed up battlefield.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    They aren’t out this month or early September it looks like :(

At the end of yesterday's Warhammer-Community puff-piece on Gryphs they snuck in a delay announcement:

While we’d previously hoped you’d be poring over pages of gryph-based content in the new Stormcast Eternals battletome this month, not even Sigmar’s chosen are immune to the ongoing global disruption. Rest assured that the Stormcast Eternals and Orruk Warclans battletomes will both be available to pre-order in September.

Kind of shitty not to make a more visible news story focusing on it.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I can assure you GW is not happy about the delays either

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Then they damn well could have made digital ones and sold them.

(I'm aware they will sell the digital ones at the same time as the phyiscal copies.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular

(I'm aware they will sell the digital ones at the same time as the phyiscal copies.)

Have they said anything official about digital versions of the battletomes? I assumed they were killing the epub versions in 3.0 like they have in 9th.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    DocSamson wrote: »

Have they said anything official about digital versions of the battletomes? I assumed they were killing the epub versions in 3.0 like they have in 9th.

I really find it kind of odd they have no issue with the black library books being e books in whatever format
    but the army books is a no go compared to Drive Thru rpg doing watermarked serialized pdf....

• Options

Oh, definitely.

It's still shitty to randomly insert the news that the release has been delayed by a month at the end of an article titled "We Rate Gryphs – A Guide to the Cutest and Most Ferocious Stormcast Eternal Companions".

And not, y'know, an article titled "Pardon, There's Going to be a One Month Delay".

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    DocSamson wrote: »

They stopped doing epubs of 40k codices? I did not know that.

That's even dumber.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's all going to be Warhammer+ exclusive.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    It's all going to be Warhammer+ exclusive.

Well, I wasn't planning on getting WH+ anyway, but this just cemented my decision. No way, no how.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    40k Codex Epubs were converted to PDF and made available to download by pirates usually within a day or two of the release, which is likely why they wanted to move to an app/subscription service.

I still think the idea of selling rules for your game is ridiculous. If the rules were free they'd probably see more income as the majority of nerds take the $50 they were going to spend on a codex and spend it on models instead (items with a significantly better margin for GW).

• Options
    there is a 110% chance that GW has several actuaries on staff that have run the numbers over basically every scenario relating to codices

• Options
    40k Codex Epubs were converted to PDF and made available to download by pirates usually within a day or two of the release, which is likely why they wanted to move to an app/subscription service.

I still think the idea of selling rules for your game is ridiculous. If the rules were free they'd probably see more income as the majority of nerds take the $50 they were going to spend on a codex and spend it on models instead (items with a significantly better margin for GW).

And I'm sure this will stop pirates. 🙄

(Unrelated, is there a code in vanilla to get the emoji I just used?)

• Options
    There's "tell_me_more" and "rotate"

:tell_me_more:
    :rotate:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    BTW, doesn't WH+ only grant access to the 40k app? I undestand that it is a) shit; b) full of errors; and c) only has the rules/listbuilding.

Hardly a replacement for a (digital) copy of the codex.

[Expletive deleted] on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Yeah, you only get access to the rules part of the codices digitally. Everything else is now paper only. I don't know how the app's current state is regarding a) and b)

AoS currently still has its own (pretty good) app, but there's already a Warhammer+ replacement announced.

honovere on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Having the rules for the units you selected for your army is pretty useful.

However, I've noticed for DE that if I have 2500 points selected in units and upgrades out of 2000 total points, the error indicating that I am over the points limit, as well as any other errors, goes away if I just turn my normal Wracks into Haemoxytes, so maybe don't rely on it for list building.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
  • Options
    Odd the bonereaper being so low
    I know eel spam is still the preferred tactic with the indoneth. Kind of curious what were the armies people mostly used for the DoK

On the War Com site they previewed more of the cards in Arena for Warhammer underworlds
    hy6akjruqrr7.png
    vxs0d0iodf4g.png
    A lot of give n take themed cards in this set. now that the vampre warband is back in stock I am highly tempted to get it and some other things but I need a better way to store all the games of underworlds as it's become quite the pile with games and warbands

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Odd the bonereaper being so low
    I know eel spam is still the preferred tactic with the indoneth. Kind of curious what were the armies people mostly used for the DoK

OBR got hit hard in 3.0, being unable to use any of the new command abilities whilst also losing the ability to use their own CAs more than once per phase.
    IDK are actually a little more varied these days, eels are still good, but there's also play in turtles, sharks, and even Namarti Reavers.
    High tier DoK lists at present are basically just Morathi and 15 double-tapping bow snakes, some people throw Gotrek in there too for an extra level of cheese.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular

Not really surprised that Skaven almost have the lowest win rate.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Conversely I am a little surprised to see Skaven that low, powerful shooting, decent monster heroes, mobile screens, potentially big mortal wound output to deal with the current focus on unkillable hero pieces, in my eyes they have all the tools to compete at a high level.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Bummer about OBR as it is my faction and I bought a bunch of stuff specifically for 3.0.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Bummer about OBR as it is my faction and I bought a bunch of stuff specifically for 3.0.

They did get slightly touched with the latest FAQ allowing them to use the same CA more than once per phase, but it's a fairly minor thing. Fingers crossed there's a second model wave on the way with updated rules?

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Of course the Gloomspite are so low on that list. Why do I always pick the worst tournament meta factions.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    I just play my brother with my all hopper squig gloomspite army {the card in the looncruse box} I do want to get some more hoppers {just one more box or 10 more} and a mangler for something different even he gets annoyed at my dok army and the slaanesh demon army

• Options
    edited August 2021
    currently, the big gatekeeper in competitive 3.0 is 'can you deal 35 wounds through a 5+ ward save a turn?'

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    Of course the Gloomspite are so low on that list. Why do I always pick the worst tournament meta factions.

If your playing gloomspite gits to win tournaments your doing it wrong, its all about chaos and fun and seeing how many squigs you can fit into a list .

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Draeven wrote: »
    Koreg wrote: »

If your playing gloomspite gits to win tournaments your doing it wrong, its all about chaos and fun and seeing how many squigs you can fit into a list .

I don't accept that.

Of course some armies will always be stronger or weaker than other armies, and some units perform worse than others. Some players will of course always be better than others. But it's increadibly poor design if some armies might as well not show up.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I enjoy randomness in the game, however your entire mechanic should not be a "Oh bad rolls, your moon disappears beginning of round 2". Turn it into a spell or something that you need a shaman to invoke.

They have a lot of cool units and buffing bonuses, but without the Bad Moon your army is fairly crippled.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    To be fair even when the Bad Moon is switched on it's often not doing much, doubly so when it's only affecting table quarters. It was one of the earlier allegiance abilities and it kinda shows in the design compared to the tomes which came afterwards.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

They did get slightly touched with the latest FAQ allowing them to use the same CA more than once per phase, but it's a fairly minor thing. Fingers crossed there's a second model wave on the way with updated rules?

It might be enough to do it while we wait for a book. We have incredibly strong abilities on our datasheets so being capped at one, alongside the Petrifex Elite nerf probably was enough to push them into tier 4.

As far as new models go, would love to see some kind of Mortek Archer type unit.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Underworlds warband has one; an entire unit like that would be great. A generic version of the leader too.
    Also on the wishlist: a really huge construct/engine thing like the gothizzar harvester but it’s actually one of the bone-forges where new ossiarchs are made and so can add models/units to the army by processing the enemy dead.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    The Harvester kind of already does that though, I guess they could make 'Gothizzar' the prefix for a subset of units which respawn models, but it could end up a little redundant given the heroes can already do that.

An archer unit seems the most obvious addition, and helps fill a hole in the faction as both a second battleline and threat projection without the expensive catapults. I also wouldn't be opposed to some sort of chariot option (possibly with a generic hero variant ala Pusgoyle Blightlords), I think that would fit in with the range visually and be a bit of a nod to their position as kinda Tomb Kings 2.0.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Talking about factions needing a range unit.

I know they can handle it fine without one supposedly, but can Slaves to Darkness take things like Blissbarb Archers?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    S2D can take any of the god-marked factions as allies, yes.

Though both varieties of Blissbarb are paying out the nose to compensate the Hedonite summoning abilities, so they're probably not a very efficient ally points-wise.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Season 5 of Underworlds is coming up
    A preview of the Krewlboys in it
    2c8pjuc6c1k7.png
    I really have bought this season's copy because well I was too busy to play it most of this year nor did I get many of the warbands I want {the lizardmen, the vampire and bonereapers}

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I wonder if the starter set will also be Kruleboyz vs Stormcast?

Also, the art definitely doesn't look like Beastgrave, so I guess that confirms (the natural expectation that) the setting will be moving on.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    The background kinda looks like Shyish to me, but it would be a little strange to shift back to an already visited realm so soon, so my guess is it's probably Ulgu (and with that in mind we might potentially see some of Malerion's elves show up, though my guess would be that's more likely to be in season 6.)

Off the top of my head the factions/subfactions which haven't had underbands as of yet are Cities of Sigmar, Gutbuster Ogors, Spiderfang Grots, Sons of Behemat (Er, unlikely to get one, let's be honest...), most Skaven clans, and any pure demon chaos factions.

Unfortunately I don't think they put out the starter box warbands by themselves anymore? I kinda want to pick up the Slaanesh squad, but I don't care for the Lumineth and I don't really have the space for yet another core box!

This discussion has been closed.