[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

12021222426

Posts

  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I have the black legion dice. And like the black legion they will always disappoint you at the most important moment. I love them though and they work as general chaos dice. I only use them in friendly games. I have really nice dice for tourneys.

    03x29di.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have a question. If I have the gobbos that came in Looncurse. If I were to get the Xmas box of the gobbos is that a playable army?

  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I have the Space Wolves dice (two sets by accident) and the Skaven dice.

    The Space Wolves dice are probably my favorite because they don't have rounded edges but they can be a pain in the ass to read sometimes.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 7
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have a question. If I have the gobbos that came in Looncurse. If I were to get the Xmas box of the gobbos is that a playable army?

    I know offhand the xmas box is unplayable by itself. So if you have enough valid battlelines (I think that was the issue), and points to add, then yes?

    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the squig dice are a neat over-costed gimmick that are HORRIBLE to actually use

    I love them a bunch though

    I saw someone add legs from squig herd to make them into playable squigs, which kind of rules.

    BrainleechStragintMazzyxH3KnucklesBurnageKhraultzeentchlingpardzhArch
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have a question. If I have the gobbos that came in Looncurse. If I were to get the Xmas box of the gobbos is that a playable army?

    I know offhand the xmas box is unplayable by itself. So if you have enough valid battlelines (I think that was the issue), and points to add, then yes?

    I know that or could guess it since most of the Aos xmas deals needed a figure or such to be playable. I just have what came in Looncurse. As my brother was making fun of what the Arch revenant goes for. He has come around on playing the sylvaneth {basically he plays with his dryads and treemen from his wood elf army of old} I was curious since it's the joke of how through various means you end up with armies.

  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I have the Deathguard dice and besides being weird to read, they're also terribly weighted. It's hollow plastic with a squishy rubber "core" for the pus boils.

    Khraul
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have a question. If I have the gobbos that came in Looncurse. If I were to get the Xmas box of the gobbos is that a playable army?

    I know offhand the xmas box is unplayable by itself. So if you have enough valid battlelines (I think that was the issue), and points to add, then yes?

    I know that or could guess it since most of the Aos xmas deals needed a figure or such to be playable. I just have what came in Looncurse. As my brother was making fun of what the Arch revenant goes for. He has come around on playing the sylvaneth {basically he plays with his dryads and treemen from his wood elf army of old} I was curious since it's the joke of how through various means you end up with armies.

    Ehhhh, sort of.

    So the way that goblins work, is they don’t have subfactions. Instead they’re very much four smaller armies that can ally together if you want.

    Moonclan grots
    Squigs
    Trogs
    Spiders.

    The buffs/spells/items they get are very focused on those smaller armies. Looncurse is a great example. All the squigs in the box, are buffed by the hero, but his buff is useless on anything else. Likewise a normal loonboss does nothing for the squigs.

    The Christmas box would be wonky. You could play the mangler easily enough, he buffs the looncurse stuff fine, and whilst you could include the trolls and the loonboss they wouldn’t be anywhere near peak effectiveness. The trolls would be eh, and the loonboss would be a rubbish hero. The fanatics are unusable with the models in the two boxes, unless you build them as Sporesplatta, who again, buff nothing.

    You’re much better off narrowing in on one goblin subarmy to start with.

  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have a question. If I have the gobbos that came in Looncurse. If I were to get the Xmas box of the gobbos is that a playable army?

    I know offhand the xmas box is unplayable by itself. So if you have enough valid battlelines (I think that was the issue), and points to add, then yes?

    I know that or could guess it since most of the Aos xmas deals needed a figure or such to be playable. I just have what came in Looncurse. As my brother was making fun of what the Arch revenant goes for. He has come around on playing the sylvaneth {basically he plays with his dryads and treemen from his wood elf army of old} I was curious since it's the joke of how through various means you end up with armies.

    Ehhhh, sort of.

    So the way that goblins work, is they don’t have subfactions. Instead they’re very much four smaller armies that can ally together if you want.

    Moonclan grots
    Squigs
    Trogs
    Spiders.

    The buffs/spells/items they get are very focused on those smaller armies. Looncurse is a great example. All the squigs in the box, are buffed by the hero, but his buff is useless on anything else. Likewise a normal loonboss does nothing for the squigs.

    The Christmas box would be wonky. You could play the mangler easily enough, he buffs the looncurse stuff fine, and whilst you could include the trolls and the loonboss they wouldn’t be anywhere near peak effectiveness. The trolls would be eh, and the loonboss would be a rubbish hero. The fanatics are unusable with the models in the two boxes, unless you build them as Sporesplatta, who again, buff nothing.

    You’re much better off narrowing in on one goblin subarmy to start with.

    I was looking at getting more stuff to go with the loonboss {I don't have the army book I was just using the warscrolls that came in Looncurse to play my brother} I think I am just going to get the book and a few squigs since I feel this will be a side army. Still I find it funny I found I got a lizardman army years ago it's not put together. But it too will be just a tiny army to play with

  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Mortal Realms magazine is landing (in UK and Spain). Getting in on that sweet, sweet, issue one introductory price for a ludicrous 88% discount on a couple of sprues of Chainrasps. A few Stormcast and some dice etc thrown in as a bonus.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
    DiannaoChong
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    I think that thing would work pretty well in the US too, hopefully they expand it sometime in 2020.

    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Lil Sisyphus

    Just spit it disgusting young'n, and hold ya nuts while you gunnin'
    DiannaoChongBrainleech
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Mortal Realms magazine is landing (in UK and Spain). Getting in on that sweet, sweet, issue one introductory price for a ludicrous 88% discount on a couple of sprues of Chainrasps. A few Stormcast and some dice etc thrown in as a bonus.

    Hope stores learn their lesson from last time. People were buying ten issues each.

    DiannaoChong
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I've ordered two online from Forbidden Planet. You have to pay some postage but it's still a massive discount and no racing the scalpers to grub around the magazine section of Tesco.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I've ordered two online from Forbidden Planet. You have to pay some postage but it's still a massive discount and no racing the scalpers to grub around the magazine section of Tesco.

    Did you recieve yours yet?

    I was just checking their site, it states specifically that the magazine is bound to a cardboard board, which is bent in half to ship. That sounds hazardous to pack in sprues... It's still exceptionally cheap for chainrasps though.

    steam_sig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Not yet. Had shipping notice and warning of the fold, but they claim it will be fine. We shall see...

    MhCw7nZ.gif
    DiannaoChong
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Shambler FuckerRegistered User regular
    I sent an order in hoping that they would ship internationally. The way they do international shipping is they take your order but don't charge you, and then someone contacts you with a postage quote. If you're ok with the price they ship it.

    I made the order on the evening of the 7th, but haven't heard anything yet though.

    gRAhjXV.gif
    DiannaoChong
  • PerduraboPerdurabo Leeds, UKRegistered User regular
    I play 40k and LOTR, and have just signed up to the premium mortal realms subscription on a whim. This is after telling myself I'd catch up on my painting in 2020...

  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    Played a three-player game with my 1k Bone Bros allied with 1k Nighthaunts vs 2k Sylvaneth last weekend, and Necropolis Stalkers sure can alpha-strike. Pop Hunt and Kill and just walk through terrain (the rule is very explicit, you don't get Fly, just the same effect, because reasons) and say hello to something.

    I charged a Treelord Ancient with my three stalkers, and the one with the falchions did nine wounds by itself. Then the other two chopped it to sawdust.

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    H3KnucklesExtreaminatusHalos Nach TariffNo-QuarterNips
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited January 11
    I've built one box of plague monks and painted the hole portion of 3 gnawholes.

    I made 2 woe bringers, 4 banners, 4 instruments, and 10 foetid blades.

    I'm very torn on doing another 4 banners and 4 instruments since I'm gonna run two 40 model squads of blade and staves and one just blades.

    Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    H3Knuckles
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    One of my gaming club mates saw Mortal Realms in Asda and missed that I had mail ordered some so got a couple for me. All the spooks!

    MhCw7nZ.gif
    BrainleechH3KnucklesHalos Nach TariffDiannaoChongSmokeStacks
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    How do attacks work for the plague monk standard bearer and harbinger?

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    How do attacks work for the plague monk standard bearer and harbinger?

    Any special units count as how you armed the rest of the unit. So if the unit has blades, stuff with instruments and banners count as having dual blades.

    steam_sig.png
    Stragint
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    How do attacks work for the plague monk standard bearer and harbinger?

    Any special units count as how you armed the rest of the unit. So if the unit has blades, stuff with instruments and banners count as having dual blades.

    Tight, I was so confused on how that all worked.

    I'm also regretting building my plague monks fully. Some of these spaces seem like they will suck to get into. I guess it is somewhat good that I'll be doing a lot of airbrushing for most of the model.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is there a good alternative for Skryre Acolytes? Seems like 15 is a good spot for them but that is $225 before tax and shipping for the GW ones.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I certainly wouldn't pay GW prices for them. You can sometimes find them on Ebay for fairly cheap.

    Alternatively you could get some suitably sized ball bearings and have clanrats/plague monk bodies holding them. Functionally a Skyre acolyte is just a clanrat with a short range gun, so anything that looks like that works, I've seen people use ad-mech rayguns and stuff.



    BrainleechDiannaoChong
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I've ordered two online from Forbidden Planet. You have to pay some postage but it's still a massive discount and no racing the scalpers to grub around the magazine section of Tesco.

    Did you recieve yours yet?

    I was just checking their site, it states specifically that the magazine is bound to a cardboard board, which is bent in half to ship. That sounds hazardous to pack in sprues... It's still exceptionally cheap for chainrasps though.

    The postal ones arrived. In a box such that the magazine but was slightly bent, but that was going straight in the bin anyway. Minis were well packed and are fine.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
    DiannaoChong
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I certainly wouldn't pay GW prices for them. You can sometimes find them on Ebay for fairly cheap.

    Alternatively you could get some suitably sized ball bearings and have clanrats/plague monk bodies holding them. Functionally a Skyre acolyte is just a clanrat with a short range gun, so anything that looks like that works, I've seen people use ad-mech rayguns and stuff.

    I'll definitely try either ebay or just making some. I can probably make resin casts of the orb of resurrection from my Necrons for that part, heads will be rough though maybe the plague furnace has something usable.

    Doing a lot of conversions here, also trying to make jezzails and then I need to practice with green stuff to make the two headed three armed verminlord corruptor.

    I have 40 of my 80 plague monks built and my friend got me a box of clanrats so I have 100 of those to build.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited January 13
    Long time AOS lurker here... My primary wargaming buddy is kicking tires on getting into AOS this year which has me pretty excited. I've looked at it for ages, but don't know anyone locally who plays. He's thinking Orks.

    Based exclusively on "what looks cool" I've been looking at Nighthaunts, Seraphon, Skaven, beasts of Chaos, and Sylvaneth. I know basically nothing about any of them, so this might be a bit of a high maintenance request, but can anyone do a quick TLDR for me on those armies?

    Are they horde/elite/moderate?
    What's they're playstyle like?
    Are they up to date? (I've heard some armies don't have current rules or battletomes?)
    Do I have this completely wrong and I'm supposed to be looking at choosing Order/chaos/Destruction/Death?

    I also don't really know how army composition works compared to 40k but I assume soup is a thing, cuz armies like vampire counts and others don't really seem to have many models at all.

    Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Nighthaunt are spooky

    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    EchoNo-Quarter
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Long time AOS lurker here... My primary wargaming buddy is kicking tires on getting into AOS this year which has me pretty excited. I've looked at it for ages, but don't know anyone locally who plays. He's thinking Orks.

    Based exclusively on "what looks cool" I've been looking at Nighthaunts, Seraphon, Skaven, beasts of Chaos, and Sylvaneth. I know basically nothing about any of them, so this might be a bit of a high maintenance request, but can anyone do a quick TLDR for me on those armies?

    Are they horde/elite/moderate?
    What's they're playstyle like?
    Are they up to date? (I've heard some armies don't have current rules or battletomes?)
    Do I have this completely wrong and I'm supposed to be looking at choosing Order/chaos/Destruction/Death?

    I also don't really know how army composition works compared to 40k but I assume soup is a thing, cuz armies like vampire counts and others don't really seem to have many models at all.

    Nighthaunts and Skaven are mostly horde while the others lean heavily on elite. Seraphon are actually kind of flexible in that regard since you can deploy a veritable cloud of skinks or nothing but stegadons and carnosaurs if you really want. Skaven can do that a little too but really need their massed troops to support bigger monsters. Nighthaunt are basically pure horde on the other hand with their biggest hitter still being a dead lady wearing a bedsheet. Unless you bring Nagash. Or some Bone Bros, but that’s an alliance so meh. Beasts of Chaos are, somewhat ironically, Skaven but less random and more elite.

    Nighthaunt like to do the unstoppable wave thing and are actually quite good at it with the whole ignoring rend thing they do.
    Sylvaneth would very much prefer you to stay over there while they distract you with arrows long enough for their trees to walk up and smash you into next Tuesday.
    Seraphon can do anything but nothing super-awesomely; skinks are fast, fragile, and numerous, dinos are big, bitty and tough, and saurischians are bang in the middle. No ‘second edition’ army book though means no special terrain, nor endless spells, nor subfaction allegiance abilities so they don’t have any surprises to pull.
    Skaven are either an unstoppable wave of plague carriers or an inexhaustible wave of chittering fangs, supported by artillery and insane gribblies. They are fast and hit hard but melt like butter under a blowtorch if focused pressure is applied.
    Beasts want to be Sylvaneth but they have much weaker shooting which they replace with much better sneaking, and faster trees.

    Don’t worry about grand alliances; they’re sort of a hangover of the edition/setting change, as well as the CEO change at GW. Everyone there is up to date except Seraphon and that might be changing soon. As for ‘soup’ - that’s the grand alliances. You will lose a lot of faction bonuses if you do that and the newer books make it very much not worthwhile. Except for Cities of Sigmar which is human/dwarf/elf/sigmarine soup all on its own with factions and crazy awesome but still would lose a bunch of stuff if it was stuffed into a GA list. Units with tiny sub factions like Ogres (firebellies are literally a faction of one) are getting rolled into newer army books with new super-faction keywords.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    DiannaoChongKhraul
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    In fairness to the bedsheet, Lady Olynder is a gorgous model

    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    BrainleechNipsKhraulDiannaoChongH3KnucklesEchoExtreaminatusNo-Quarter
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Jack of all interests... ...master of noneRegistered User regular
    edited January 14
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Long time AOS lurker here... My primary wargaming buddy is kicking tires on getting into AOS this year which has me pretty excited. I've looked at it for ages, but don't know anyone locally who plays. He's thinking Orks.

    Based exclusively on "what looks cool" I've been looking at Nighthaunts, Seraphon, Skaven, beasts of Chaos, and Sylvaneth. I know basically nothing about any of them, so this might be a bit of a high maintenance request, but can anyone do a quick TLDR for me on those armies?

    Are they horde/elite/moderate?
    What's they're playstyle like?
    Are they up to date? (I've heard some armies don't have current rules or battletomes?)
    Do I have this completely wrong and I'm supposed to be looking at choosing Order/chaos/Destruction/Death?

    I also don't really know how army composition works compared to 40k but I assume soup is a thing, cuz armies like vampire counts and others don't really seem to have many models at all.

    Nighthaunts and Skaven are mostly horde while the others lean heavily on elite. Seraphon are actually kind of flexible in that regard since you can deploy a veritable cloud of skinks or nothing but stegadons and carnosaurs if you really want. Skaven can do that a little too but really need their massed troops to support bigger monsters. Nighthaunt are basically pure horde on the other hand with their biggest hitter still being a dead lady wearing a bedsheet. Unless you bring Nagash. Or some Bone Bros, but that’s an alliance so meh. Beasts of Chaos are, somewhat ironically, Skaven but less random and more elite.

    Nighthaunt like to do the unstoppable wave thing and are actually quite good at it with the whole ignoring rend thing they do.
    Sylvaneth would very much prefer you to stay over there while they distract you with arrows long enough for their trees to walk up and smash you into next Tuesday.
    Seraphon can do anything but nothing super-awesomely; skinks are fast, fragile, and numerous, dinos are big, bitty and tough, and saurischians are bang in the middle. No ‘second edition’ army book though means no special terrain, nor endless spells, nor subfaction allegiance abilities so they don’t have any surprises to pull.
    Skaven are either an unstoppable wave of plague carriers or an inexhaustible wave of chittering fangs, supported by artillery and insane gribblies. They are fast and hit hard but melt like butter under a blowtorch if focused pressure is applied.
    Beasts want to be Sylvaneth but they have much weaker shooting which they replace with much better sneaking, and faster trees.

    Don’t worry about grand alliances; they’re sort of a hangover of the edition/setting change, as well as the CEO change at GW. Everyone there is up to date except Seraphon and that might be changing soon. As for ‘soup’ - that’s the grand alliances. You will lose a lot of faction bonuses if you do that and the newer books make it very much not worthwhile. Except for Cities of Sigmar which is human/dwarf/elf/sigmarine soup all on its own with factions and crazy awesome but still would lose a bunch of stuff if it was stuffed into a GA list. Units with tiny sub factions like Ogres (firebellies are literally a faction of one) are getting rolled into newer army books with new super-faction keywords.

    That's a shame they aren't trying to balance grand alliances and monofaction. I realize that's a tough undertaking, but I really like the idea of a game where you can choose between taking the best units from a couple different armies, or commit to one army warts & all but gain specialty rules to make it effective. Nighthaunt/skelemen/classic vampires (basically all the less-gross undead) would've been a fun army to make.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Balancing that seems impossible

    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Long time AOS lurker here... My primary wargaming buddy is kicking tires on getting into AOS this year which has me pretty excited. I've looked at it for ages, but don't know anyone locally who plays. He's thinking Orks.

    Based exclusively on "what looks cool" I've been looking at Nighthaunts, Seraphon, Skaven, beasts of Chaos, and Sylvaneth. I know basically nothing about any of them, so this might be a bit of a high maintenance request, but can anyone do a quick TLDR for me on those armies?

    Are they horde/elite/moderate?
    What's they're playstyle like?
    Are they up to date? (I've heard some armies don't have current rules or battletomes?)
    Do I have this completely wrong and I'm supposed to be looking at choosing Order/chaos/Destruction/Death?

    I also don't really know how army composition works compared to 40k but I assume soup is a thing, cuz armies like vampire counts and others don't really seem to have many models at all.

    Nighthaunts and Skaven are mostly horde while the others lean heavily on elite. Seraphon are actually kind of flexible in that regard since you can deploy a veritable cloud of skinks or nothing but stegadons and carnosaurs if you really want. Skaven can do that a little too but really need their massed troops to support bigger monsters. Nighthaunt are basically pure horde on the other hand with their biggest hitter still being a dead lady wearing a bedsheet. Unless you bring Nagash. Or some Bone Bros, but that’s an alliance so meh. Beasts of Chaos are, somewhat ironically, Skaven but less random and more elite.

    Nighthaunt like to do the unstoppable wave thing and are actually quite good at it with the whole ignoring rend thing they do.
    Sylvaneth would very much prefer you to stay over there while they distract you with arrows long enough for their trees to walk up and smash you into next Tuesday.
    Seraphon can do anything but nothing super-awesomely; skinks are fast, fragile, and numerous, dinos are big, bitty and tough, and saurischians are bang in the middle. No ‘second edition’ army book though means no special terrain, nor endless spells, nor subfaction allegiance abilities so they don’t have any surprises to pull.
    Skaven are either an unstoppable wave of plague carriers or an inexhaustible wave of chittering fangs, supported by artillery and insane gribblies. They are fast and hit hard but melt like butter under a blowtorch if focused pressure is applied.
    Beasts want to be Sylvaneth but they have much weaker shooting which they replace with much better sneaking, and faster trees.

    Don’t worry about grand alliances; they’re sort of a hangover of the edition/setting change, as well as the CEO change at GW. Everyone there is up to date except Seraphon and that might be changing soon. As for ‘soup’ - that’s the grand alliances. You will lose a lot of faction bonuses if you do that and the newer books make it very much not worthwhile. Except for Cities of Sigmar which is human/dwarf/elf/sigmarine soup all on its own with factions and crazy awesome but still would lose a bunch of stuff if it was stuffed into a GA list. Units with tiny sub factions like Ogres (firebellies are literally a faction of one) are getting rolled into newer army books with new super-faction keywords.

    That's a shame they aren't trying to balance grand alliances and monofaction. I realize that's a tough undertaking, but I really like the idea of a game where you can choose between taking the best units from a couple different armies, or commit to one army warts & all but gain specialty rules to make it effective. Nighthaunt/skelemen/classic vampires (basically all the less-gross undead) would've been a fun army to make.

    That army exists. It's called Legions of Nagash.


    No-Quarter
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Jack of all interests... ...master of noneRegistered User regular
    edited January 14
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Long time AOS lurker here... My primary wargaming buddy is kicking tires on getting into AOS this year which has me pretty excited. I've looked at it for ages, but don't know anyone locally who plays. He's thinking Orks.

    Based exclusively on "what looks cool" I've been looking at Nighthaunts, Seraphon, Skaven, beasts of Chaos, and Sylvaneth. I know basically nothing about any of them, so this might be a bit of a high maintenance request, but can anyone do a quick TLDR for me on those armies?

    Are they horde/elite/moderate?
    What's they're playstyle like?
    Are they up to date? (I've heard some armies don't have current rules or battletomes?)
    Do I have this completely wrong and I'm supposed to be looking at choosing Order/chaos/Destruction/Death?

    I also don't really know how army composition works compared to 40k but I assume soup is a thing, cuz armies like vampire counts and others don't really seem to have many models at all.

    Nighthaunts and Skaven are mostly horde while the others lean heavily on elite. Seraphon are actually kind of flexible in that regard since you can deploy a veritable cloud of skinks or nothing but stegadons and carnosaurs if you really want. Skaven can do that a little too but really need their massed troops to support bigger monsters. Nighthaunt are basically pure horde on the other hand with their biggest hitter still being a dead lady wearing a bedsheet. Unless you bring Nagash. Or some Bone Bros, but that’s an alliance so meh. Beasts of Chaos are, somewhat ironically, Skaven but less random and more elite.

    Nighthaunt like to do the unstoppable wave thing and are actually quite good at it with the whole ignoring rend thing they do.
    Sylvaneth would very much prefer you to stay over there while they distract you with arrows long enough for their trees to walk up and smash you into next Tuesday.
    Seraphon can do anything but nothing super-awesomely; skinks are fast, fragile, and numerous, dinos are big, bitty and tough, and saurischians are bang in the middle. No ‘second edition’ army book though means no special terrain, nor endless spells, nor subfaction allegiance abilities so they don’t have any surprises to pull.
    Skaven are either an unstoppable wave of plague carriers or an inexhaustible wave of chittering fangs, supported by artillery and insane gribblies. They are fast and hit hard but melt like butter under a blowtorch if focused pressure is applied.
    Beasts want to be Sylvaneth but they have much weaker shooting which they replace with much better sneaking, and faster trees.

    Don’t worry about grand alliances; they’re sort of a hangover of the edition/setting change, as well as the CEO change at GW. Everyone there is up to date except Seraphon and that might be changing soon. As for ‘soup’ - that’s the grand alliances. You will lose a lot of faction bonuses if you do that and the newer books make it very much not worthwhile. Except for Cities of Sigmar which is human/dwarf/elf/sigmarine soup all on its own with factions and crazy awesome but still would lose a bunch of stuff if it was stuffed into a GA list. Units with tiny sub factions like Ogres (firebellies are literally a faction of one) are getting rolled into newer army books with new super-faction keywords.

    That's a shame they aren't trying to balance grand alliances and monofaction. I realize that's a tough undertaking, but I really like the idea of a game where you can choose between taking the best units from a couple different armies, or commit to one army warts & all but gain specialty rules to make it effective. Nighthaunt/skelemen/classic vampires (basically all the less-gross undead) would've been a fun army to make.

    That army exists. It's called Legions of Nagash.

    Oh yeah, I forgot that was a distinct thing from GA-Death. Cool.

    Even so, I still think it's a good game design goal.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Cities of Sigmar, Orruk warclans and Skaven too, to a degree

  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    In fairness I think the GA armies are quite good for beginner-level games, allowing players to just put their models down alongside some simple but thematic army-wide rules compared to some of the more focussed battletomes.

    As a new player I would perhaps steer clear of Seraphon for the time being, they're the only major faction yet to receive an updated book, so whilst they are technically playable (and some builds are even quite competitive!) they are saddled with some unintuitive rules and abilities. I suspect they'll be seeing an update sometime this year.



    Khraul
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    This is all good info. Thanks everyone.

    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Cities of Sigmar, Orruk warclans and Skaven too, to a degree

    To be fair skaven just added the other skaven clans. The way they used to be in fantasy.


  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    This is all good info. Thanks everyone.

    I play Nighthaunt and own several thousand points.

    They aren't SUPER competitive right now, but are fun, thematic, and have terrific models. It's just that they were an early 2nd edition book, and came out the gate a little week. Similar to Deathguard, GW seemed to overestimate how resilient Nighthaunt were.

    A Vampire Lord helps out IMMENSELY with keeping their units healthy, and a Mournghul also gives them a good shot in the arm.

    ExtreaminatusDiannaoChong
Sign In or Register to comment.