As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Armor 2.0: Stats All, Folks! Shadowkeep Drops Oct. 1

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    at least for red bars it seems pretty clear that it's a pretty significant buff to non-precision damage and an unknown size nerf to precision damage

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I was about to post wondering wtf was going on with all the PvE buffs and expecting they were a reaction to some unnamed stealth buff to all enemies. And then they post that.

On Reddit they slightly clarify:
    Ultimately, all of the weapon buff numbers you see listed in the TWAB against minor enemies will counteract this global nerf.

I still can't quite parse the patchnote on this but I think it says that red bars took additional precision damage and now they take a smaller amount dependant on the weapon. But maybe they just used to take a standard percentage and now it's per weapon? Who the fuck knows, these patch notes are always terrible.

I do wonder if the weapon-specific crit-damage modifiers will end up as buffs and nerfs to various types of weapons anyway. Hopefully it helps scouts out some.

It also seems like it might be a buff to our damage to majors and the like compared to red bars? Like either red bars will be harder to kill or majors easier?

They made it nearly impossible to know beforehand. Which may be intentional, but that's giving them a lot of credit. We'll have to just experiment when SK comes out and see how all our existing guns feel.

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Oh fuck yes on that Sunshot mag buff

Oh my lawd Crimson might be good now??

Time to use Crimson again soon.

I mean, its been stuck at a pitiful 70.000+ kills for a while.

Sirialis on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Load DIM, flip to D1 to look at SRL and such, immediately become angry seeing all the cool shit I had. You mf'rs, why did you take all my cool shit away holy fuck. See cool void sparrow with actual void engine. Remember it happened twice because I moved to PC before cross play. Waaaaaaaugggghhh!

Hahaha, some of these make me laugh; Trials of Osiris; can't finish that triumph because....trials wasn't a scheduled event that could just run on a regular schedule like any sensible game would have it run. I suppose if it still ran, you'd still have people playing that instead of D2. I wish Dinklebot was a toggle for the missions he was available for at least, I'd go back and play the original missions.

Nosf on
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Load DIM, flip to D1 to look at SRL and such, immediately become angry seeing all the cool shit I had. You mf'rs, why did you take all my cool shit away holy fuck. See cool void sparrow with actual void engine. Remember it happened twice because I moved to PC before cross play. Waaaaaaaugggghhh!

Hahaha, some of these make me laugh; Trials of Osiris; can't finish that triumph because....trials wasn't a scheduled event that could just run on a regular schedule like any sensible game would have it run. I suppose if it still ran, you'd still have people playing that instead of D2. I wish Dinklebot was a toggle for the missions he was available for at least, I'd go back and play the original missions.

I still think one of the greatest failures of Destiny 2 was not having Peter Dinklage as one of the possible voices for Last Wish.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I got perhaps the greatest hate mail of all time in Gambit just now

Except it wasn't hate mail, the guy actually said GG and complemented my aim.

Something in the simulation must be off

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Man the meta outlined in the Twab seems kinda weird

Like they’re buffing everything 30% ish? But they’re halving precision damage

So the next result is everything is worse except for automatic weapons

And scouts are still bad it’s just that pulses and handcannons are being made bad also?

Guess we’ll see how this translates in game

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    Man the meta outlined in the Twab seems kinda weird

Like they’re buffing everything 30% ish? But they’re halving precision damage

So the next result is everything is worse except for automatic weapons

And scouts are still bad it’s just that pulses and handcannons are being made bad also?

Guess we’ll see how this translates in game

only halving precision damage on minor enemies; where precision was already frequently overkill for most base weapon types. But the "halving" is kind of misleading, because the result will depend on your weapon and how much precision damage it happens to do already. The +30% basically across the board damage to pretty much everything should more than compensate for that "nerf" and result in more usefulness of non-special/power weapons against majors and bosses.

Overall the "nerf" shouldn't really make much difference, and the buff should be noticeable. Since they still haven't mentioned addressing major/boss health in the face of pretty large nerfs to buff stacking, I'm guessing this 20-30% increase to most weapon types is their way of offsetting that to not need to go back and fiddle with past numbers? Maybe? Guess we will see.

Anyway, the two things that stuck out to me (three, I guess, with the pretty large crimson buff, though its flinch was part of its fun...so...win/lose) was the small note on Machine Gun damage falloff; which I strongly suspect will dramatically change the usefulness of Machine Guns in Crucible/Gambit, without likely changing them in PvE activities. Wouldn't hurt to have people make harder choices for their power weapons in Crucible/Gambit.

The second was the Scout Rifle buff. It...isn't? I mean, in the face of everything else also getting a pretty similar buff, I don't understand how Scouts getting just a slightly higher (and sometimes not so) buff will change how useful the currently are not. I expected much larger changes, because they need them. Bad.

What we don't need is a scout as a Crucible pinnacle weapon being super powerful and then just assuming scouts are good because that one weapon is good. Recluse might be great (I don't know! I don't have it!); but on console, outside of it, Riskrunner and Huckleberry, SMG's are not good. I know it's a completely different story on PC, but unless a truly absurd amount of players are migrating to PC right now, it will still be a fairly small portion of the playerbase. It just seems that because there are these handful of really good weapons, the whole archtype is just not in conversation about how generally useless they are for a large chunk of the playerbase. If they do something similar to scouts, that would be disappointing, because an 18-36% damage increase when most other weapons are getting 25-30% increases, doesn't place them anywhere close to the realm of usefulness, and leaves them basically where they already are. Which is terrible.

I guess third (fourth), would be no mention of hiking up the damage falloff on Hand Cannons to make space for Scouts; or in a similar vein, something needs to be done about Pulses to also make space for Scouts. Because currently there's no reason to use a scout when you have a HC or Pulse. And there's particularly no reason to use the high range/impact scouts compared to a lot of way better and more effective snipers.

What I'm saying is, these listed changes functionally don't address scout usefulness, so unless they've got more news coming to address that (which...shouldn't that information be in sandbox changes if so?), Shadowkeep isn't going to do anything to move Scouts out of the dustbin.

Which is a huge bummer. Because I miss scouts.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    My interpretation of this is that Bungo is setting up certain weapon types to be Minor sweepers, despite the nerf to precision damage against those targets

For instance, if Trinity Ghoul's precision damage is no longer doubled, but based on some discreet multiplier that is weapon-specific, you may or may not have an easier time getting minor precision kills with that weapon. However, it will not affect major/boss damage, and it will make the activated Trinity arrow hit like a fucking dumptruck.

It also makes precisions vs. minors less important, so if need be, you can just whip out a machine gun and dakka the shit out of a bunch of minors(at a closer range) regardless of whether you're hitting Precisions or not.

On the pessimistic end of things, if damage across the board really ends up being lower, they're probably setting up minors to be more of a threat in things to come--which against the Moon Hive and the invading Vex, seems relevant. What I'm getting from this is that they want minors to be more dangerous than they currently are, while also forcing the player to invest a weapon slot into something that shreds them. I'm A-OK with that. Currently, a lot of the best weapons for killing minors are...the same weapons that are good for killing Majors, and Minor Spec is basically a useless mod when my Hammerhead already pops them like zits.

On the bottom line, though, these patch notes seem to really be obfuscating what they are actually trying to do.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I got perhaps the greatest hate mail of all time in Gambit just now

Except it wasn't hate mail, the guy actually said GG and complemented my aim.

Something in the simulation must be off

Disgusting behaviour, should be against xbox tos.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We just finished my first heroic menagerie run, with the Hydra boss. Everyone I played with is a champion, we got it done, but I don't think I need to do heroic menagerie again.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Peen wrote: »
    We just finished my first heroic menagerie run, with the Hydra boss. Everyone I played with is a champion, we got it done, but I don't think I need to do heroic menagerie again.

Nice. That’s the worst of the heroic bosses, by a mile.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Pretty much exactly right on @The Dude With Herpes. Scouts are still bad. They didn’t one shot crit minors before and now there’s less crit damage.

I think the nerf could end up being pretty noticeable given the huge nerf to HC and pulse range. I don’t disagree their range is probably a bit much right now but ending range AND then buffing enemy health and nerfing damage on top of that sounds dicey. The game being too easy is boring but bullet sponge ads are boring too.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Increased PvE damage is more them moving towards PvE/PvP separation in terms of damage output, although not in functionality.

Redbars no longer taking double crit just seems like a normalization of functionality thing to me, and may give them more choices for what's used as adds/mob in PvE activities (raid etc) without having to worry about the redbar squad composition. Should be noted that this crit removal is coming at the same time as the Vex expansion. Vex are the only redbars that can actively remove their critspot (goblins hunch over, hobgoblins armorlock) so maybe they were starting to feel like quasi-yellowbars in large numbers and Bungie's evening the field and making them more mob-like adds for stuff.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    ah... i couldn't find the mountaintop quest anywhere and i assumed i missed it :arrow:

Mountaintop and Recluse are both tracked through Triumphs but the quest you pick up is at Shaxx. Keep in mind Shaxx has multiple pages and depending on what you have or have not done with him the quest might be on his second page.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    It's pretty hilarious when 2 people quit on your team in Gambit because the first round goes poorly, then it backfills with better players and you go on to win the game

Thanks for quitting guys!

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    It's pretty hilarious when 2 people quit on your team in Gambit because the first round goes poorly, then it backfills with better players and you go on to win the game

I legit want a game to taunt folks like this.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I legit want a game to taunt folks like this.

If you quit a match and then your team wins, the game sends you a message where Shaxx tells you that your team won without you and your poor sportsmanship.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    In case anyone likes really crunchy number stuff, the DPS spreadsheet has been updated with the reload changes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12vF7ckMzN4hex-Tse4HPiVs_d9huFOKlvUoq5V41nxU/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/d3s2lc/the_pve_weapon_dpsdamage_chart_has_been_updated/
    The Post-Mortem

Special grenade launchers have been absolutely murdered
    Shotguns rely almost entirely on Burst DPS. Their sustain is on the lowest end for Special weapons
    Snipers rise into the high-tiers for DPS - With Izanagi being one of the best overall special weapons now.
    Heavy Grenade launchers are still competitive DPS wise, but far from the crown. Prospector is the best overall here.
    Whisper is your new God
    Acrius is extremely high ranked for DPS - Acrius is virtually unaffacted by the luna nerf.
    Rapid fire weapons are higher ranked than most of their counterparts, due to the faster-reload intrinsic they have.

In addition

Darci's power in sustain is drastically reduced.
    TTF Is the best rocket for Sustain DPS, overshadowing Wardcliff
    One Thousand Voices is a high-tier DPS option
    Sleeper (With catalyst) is slightly better off compared to other heavies now.
    Tarrabah becomes one of the highest sustain DPS weapons, outpacing even most special weapons.
    Coldheart is one of the better DPS Specials now, as well.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Whisper + high DPS special or Izanagi + Spike grenades (ideally with auto-loading) are going to be the meta for boss DPS going forward, it seems.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Coldheart coming back as a top option is pretty funny.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Elki wrote: »
    Coldheart coming back as a top option is pretty funny.

https://youtu.be/SRH-Ywpz1_I

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    ICE TO MEET YOU

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Whisper + high DPS special or Izanagi + Spike grenades (ideally with auto-loading) are going to be the meta for boss DPS going forward, it seems.

Wendigo will be pretty good in a short dps window. 6x Supershots, and autoload if you have time to go back.

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular

every time someone quits on the other team in Gambit i'm like "oh fuck they're gonna get a ringer now, aren't they"

We can't go a whole day without a post so here's this tangentially related video
    https://youtu.be/s-7Yya_nmLs

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    You're doing the Traveler's work, there.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Hmm. So since Gun mods will be unlock and NOT use and loose. It's like armor 2.0 has created mods 2.0 or Guns 2.5? Either way, awesome.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I enjoyed how Luke got out there to say that there was no guns 2.0 update coming and then they tossed the mod news in the TW@B. If they can switch to an underpromise/overdeliver model instead of the opposite I know I'd appreciate it.

E: also I hadn't really thought about this but there are some spots where a tractor cannon in Twilight Gap might be absolutely hilarious.

Peen on
    edited September 2019
    I know people have been hammering them with the question on how the weapon mod transfer will work, but have they answered yet? Specifically, there is concern if you only needed one of each in your inventory, and if you had more than one if the rest would remain to be dismantled, be autodismantled, or if they'd just poof away. The simplest thing to do, it seems, is dismantle all but one; but what it they they come out and say "you needed 10!", which while highly unlikely, isn't impossible.

They've got a couple weeks to answer I guess.

Aaanyway, snuck in LFG's for CoS and SotP last night to get the MMXIX title (EDIT: And got a lfg party for Outbreak the night before). Pretty pleased with myself, I didn't think I was going to do it, partially because I hadn't played in so long before Solstice, but also because the people I've been playing with aren't really playing right now (due to monster hunter and now BL3) so I couldn't get them to do the raids, and my anxiety makes using lfg frequently stressful, even if the results typically end well.

Fortunately these LFG experiences were fantastic. I used the PC LFG discord, got sherpa'd and everyone who joined seemed competent enough that we only had a couple of speed bumps (the sparrow part of SotP gave us by far the most difficulty there, CoS was clean the whole way through, except the platforms were a completely expected hilarious disaster), but no egos and no ragequits or anything. Smoother in part than some raids I've done with already existing groups :lol: Unfortunately I don't really tick the "no experience" box anymore, and the general atmosphere of the sherpa channel and the "kwtd 10 clears or gtfo" of the specific raid channels means doing them again might be less likely, until my people come back for Shadowkeep.

Also only two triumphs left in the tribute hall, doing Last Wish with Calus gear and a bit more Nightfall score in Calus Gear, and that'll be done too. I know Last Wish like the back of my hand though so if I did want to LFG it, I wouldn't be hesitant about whats going on at all.

The Dude With Herpes on

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The new mod system for guns isn't really a Gun 2.0 or the like. It's a really minor change. Mostly just keeps all mods working the same.

I can't see any reason why we'd need more then 1 of any mod for the mod unlock either.

edited September 2019
    shryke wrote: »
    The new mod system for guns isn't really a Gun 2.0 or the like. It's a really minor change. Mostly just keeps all mods working the same.

I can't see any reason why we'd need more then 1 of any mod for the mod unlock either.

I can't either, but I saw someone mention it and now I can't get it out of my head. :lol:

EDIT: Also while it's definitely not a gun 2.0 (which I don't think is needed at all btw), the ability to change mods, as someone who will play regularly on both console and PC, is pretty major.

Some mods become pretty useless on PC, when they can be gamechangers on console; and being able to just easily switch that depending on where I'm playing and not needing two versions of a weapon (though, because so many perks function differently, there will be cases this is still desired, but pretty rare, unless you're a crazy min/maxer) is super nice. It was unexpected, but completely welcome.

The Dude With Herpes on

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm putting out this question with regard to a Pen and Paper campaign I'm planning to run for some friends, most of whom are non-Destiny fans. I'm using Monster of the Week as a basis, which itself is an altered version of Powered By the Apocalypse. It uses "Playbooks" instead of Classes(in your traditional D&D sense), which look like this:
    1866d76aa38fc1c33b02293de74532b9.png

So my first hurdle is to settle on what the new Playbooks will be. The obvious choice is to make them just be Hunter, Warlock, and Vanguard, and expand the options to account for all nine element/class alignments. I don't think I'm going to do that, though. What I'm planning currently is to have at most, six traditional class-based Playbooks and three Out There playbooks. I want things like Sunbreaker, which are backed up by lore or a relevant character, but I also want to include ideas like Dredgen, Agent of the Nine, etc. I'm hesitant to make my own shit up, because these are all folks who are interested in getting back into D2 with Shadowkeep/New Light, so I want it to reflect something in-game. Monster also features a playbook centered around a non-powered person who is given other tools to become relevant while also having significant drawbacks. For Destiny, not having a Ghost would be that drawback.

Currently, my locks are Sunbreaker, Golden Gun, Void Warlock, Dredgen, and Lightless. EDIT: I'm aiming for nine playbooks total, for my sanity's sake.

So my questions to the Destiny community are these:

What archetypical "playbook", or character type, do you think absolutely HAS TO be a part of the Destiny lore?

Have I chosen poorly on the ones I've locked in?

And, Should I even bother with the "non-tree" playbooks, or should I just create nine playbooks to represent each element of each class?

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I'm in such a weird place in this game. I'm definitely not "raid ready" by any means. My weapon loadout is limited by the archetypes that I've acquired in the last few weeks since the solstice event. Everything else I have has a power level under 400. Right now I'm rocking a Nameless Midnight and Bad Reputation, with a Zenobia-D in the power slot. I have a lot better gear that I'd like to use, but I find myself holding off on infusing anything sine it's all getting an auto bump to 750 in two weeks anyway.

So I'm working on finishing up some of the post-Forsaken content. I just unlocked the first Black Armor forge last night, but still haven't completed the Awoken Talisman quest yet. I have other quests to complete but either they are tuned for a higher skill or power level than I can assemble, or may not be relevant in the game right now. For example, I've got this Chalice of Opulence item where I'm sitting at like 1/100 tasks completed and I think that becomes irrelevant tomorrow 17 Sept?

I guess I'm learning to be "better" with the oddball weapons I do have, but it still feels strange to be mostly waiting.

26904.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Doing the Awoken Talisman quest is probably the best thing you could do out of the things you listed, since that opens up a whole new area to explore. The Chalice is still relevant as that controls access to this current season's main event.

• DoublySymmetricDoublySymmetric Registered User regular
    I was working on some catalysts this weekend (finished huckleberry and Strum/Drang). Then I took a look at Skyburner. 1,000 Cabal kills!!!

Not sure who thought that was a good idea, but I felt like King Théoden when Aragorn told him that 10,000 orcs were coming.

Steam - DoublySymmetric (43687993)
    Blizz ID - DoublySymm#1758
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I was working on some catalysts this weekend (finished huckleberry and Strum/Drang). Then I took a look at Skyburner. 1,000 Cabal kills!!!

Not sure who thought that was a good idea, but I felt like King Théoden when Aragorn told him that 10,000 orcs were coming.

I don't even think that's really that bad. Run Cabal strikes or Leviathan for a bit. It's nothing compared to Graviton Lance's "Kill 1,000 enemies with the very weak and highly conditional firefly effect and no the one that started it doesn't count."

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular

So like an hour in the Castellum?

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I'm sure designer intent was, "They'll do this over a few weeks." and players saw it as, "Load into the Leviathan and knock it out in a long, horrible single day."

Outside of the ones to kill specific enemy types, you can bang out all the catalysts in an hour or less in Whisper thrall-hell.