As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Hell, it's about time for nerds to rage on the internets

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
Foreword, by CT:
HERE ARE A FEW POINTS, LOOK THEY ARE IN CAPS SO YOU DO NOT MISS THEM

PEOPLE POSTING FAKE NEWS WILL BE CONSIDERED AS TROLLING

PEOPLE POSTING ITSATRAP LINKS WILL BE CONSIDERED AS TROLLING

PEOPLE REPORTING PEOPLE FOR COMPLETELY INNOCUOUS THINGS OVER AND OVER AND OVER WILL HAVE THEIR REPORT BUTTON TAKEN AWAY

I HAVE NO PROBLEM LOCKING THIS THREAD AND FORCING EVERYBODY TO DISCUSS STARCRAFT 2 ELSEWHERE

IF YOU ACT LIKE CHILDREN THAT IS HOW YOU WILL BE TREATED

MY APOLOGIES TO THOSE WHO ARE NOT BEING DICKHEADS

3:00 - FMV sequence in a spaceship - looks Terran - zooming in on a metal door - door opening - reveals a guy with a cigar in chains - prisoner - door shuts behind him - there's so much bass the room is shaking - guy steps into some kind of metallic devicce - legs are strapped in - guy rising toward ceiling - Korean text on screen got people very excited - another part of the machine is dropping metal arms on him - machine whirring - applying armor to his torso - extremly detailed visuals here - now guy is strapping on gloves - armor is molding together - seems like a Terran marine - rockets turn on - zerg now onscreen - Marine delivers a line -

StarCraft 2 officially announced.

3:05 - Morheim says everyone eager to see actual game - going to show actual gameplay - bringing up SC2 lead designer. Dustin Browder.

3:07 - Showing gameplay footage - Looks like protoss ships - floating over asteroid/ base structure - entering protoss ase - similar looking buildings - vespene gas still in the game - character pane shows up on right side - some protoss guy - shifts to terran bases floating on rockets over same type of territory - sill collecting crystals as resources - marines load out. Dustin is actually playing the game - nothing in the game is final.

3:09 - controlling protoss zealots - still has psi blades and personal shield - new charge ability that let him quickly close range on enemies. Siege tanks shown - still the same type of behavior where they can lock down - take out zealots really quickly - new protoss unit - called immortals - have special shield that only activates upon being powerfully attacked - siege tanks could barely do any damage to them.

3:10 - Terran reapers - can hop across unever terrain with jump packs - two types of small pistols that don't activate immortals. Protoss now have the ability to create shields whereever they want. Protoss can now warp in units from manufacturing facilities anything within pylon range. New protoss unit - stalker - can teleport - quadripedal thing - can keep blinking forward - seems to be a shot cooldown on the ability. Zerg start coming in, giant worms pop out of ground unleasing zerglings. Protoss can use phase fields and teleporting abilities to create an army anywhere on the battlefield, according to Blizzard.

3:14 - Protoss colossus - huge unit that can blast out dual lasers and use long legs to traverse differences in terrain height - in the demo two of them obliterate about fifty or so zerglings.

3:15 - Zerglings can mutate into suicidal bomb things thar roll across the ground - very powerful explosions. Colossus using new IK system to move across differences in terraing height. Colossus extremley weak against air strike - New unit for protoss - Pheonix - can overcharge guns for multiple projectile blast - but after blast the ship is rendered inert for a short period.

3:16 - showing space platform environment, land mass floating over planets / nebulae. Showing phoenix units failing to destroy terran battle cruisers - new protoss unit - Warprey - flying unit that does increased damage the longer it hits a target with it's continuous blue laser.

3:18 - warprey also very effective against structures - very vulnerable to small unit fire - shws warpreys getting wiped out by terran marines. Physics system lets debris from warpreys roll down a ramp. Showing one more unit - warped in in a serious of cubes - giant floating base - called a protoss mothership - can only have 1 at a time - cost big resources - special abilities include timebomb that slows all enemy missiles inside - shows terran missle launcher shooting in projectiles that stop in the field before they reach the ship - when field ends missiles drop the ground - planet cracker attack - giant lasers stream from ship to ground - ship can be moved around while planet cracker laser is active - the ship looks like a metallic, triangular sand dollar - mothership can create a black hole anywhere it wannts to - creates distortion that actually sucks ships in and destroys them - in the demo the black hole destroyed four terran battle cruisers in about ten seconds.

3:23 - now showing terran and protoss fight - marines and zealots clashing on the ground - mothership and battle crusers in the air - framerate seems relatively stable as more units stream in - hard to tell - about 100 units on screen right now - a few of the new protoss units just came in - nuclear launch detected warning - every unit on screen destroyed - three nukes were launched at once - then zergs rush in and spell "GG" while turning into suicidal bombs.

Showing another video of "things to come." concept art for SC2 - zerg landscapes - ruined terran structures - freen filds - SC2 looks, at least visually, strikingly similar to SC1 - both in unit and map designs. Now showing a giant rush of zerglings - probably over 100 of them, swarming with no slowdown - mroe character art - finishes with the StarCraft II logo.

Still *very* early in on information, no screenshots or anything yet.

Actually never mind (thanks RayofAsh for finding these):

sc2a.jpg
sc2b.jpg
sc2c.jpg
sc2d.jpg
sc2e.jpg
sc2f.jpg
sc2g.jpg

Urian adds some gameplay screens:
sc2GPa.jpg
sc2GPb.jpg

IGN Screens!

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/imgs_1.html

sc2GPc.jpg
sc2GPd.jpg
sc2GPe.jpg
sc2GPf.jpg

Crayon reports: Video! (Caution may be wanged)

Event Horizon has found a fast-loading mirror, still in Korean This shit looks amazing.

Gameplay video on Youtube

Direct Video gameplay

http://www.gamevideos.com/download?videoId=11667&url=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.gamevideos.com%2f11667%2fvts_01_1.wmv

But lots of discussion. And lots of hope.

BECAUSE WE ARE STARVED FOR INFORMATION
Info on Dustin Browder, lead designer, at Mobygames (thanks Kildorn) : http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,2347/

Brolo on

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    THE VIDEO IS NOW ONLINE.

IT CAN BE VIEWED HERE.

That was fast.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    THERE IS A GOD

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    3:10 - Terran reapers - can hop across unever terrain with jump packs - two types of small pistols that don't activate immortals. Protoss now have the ability to create shields whereever they want. Protoss can now warp in units from manufacturing facilities anything within pylon range. New protoss unit - stalker - can teleport - quadripedal thing - can keep blinking forward - seems to be a shot cooldown on the ability.

Suriko on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thread legendary posting in me.

august on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I look forward to using the new campaign editor.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I bet you will be required to spawn more overlords.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    3:14 - Protoss colossus - huge unit that can blast out dual lasers and use long legs to traverse differences in terrain height - in the demo two of them obliterate about fifty or so zerglings.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    3:10 - Terran reapers - can hop across unever terrain with jump packs - two types of small pistols that don't activate immortals. Protoss now have the ability to create shields whereever they want. Protoss can now warp in units from manufacturing facilities anything within pylon range. New protoss unit - stalker - can teleport - quadripedal thing - can keep blinking forward - seems to be a shot cooldown on the ability. Zerg start coming in, giant worms pop out of ground unleasing zerglings. Protoss can use phase fields and teleporting abilities to create an army anywhere on the battlefield, according to Blizzard.

This is going to be insane.

Smasher on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    STILL SPOOGING FIRST PAGES ZOMG

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    oh shit, gameplay footage.

iowa on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wonder if they'll announce a new race?

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    THE VIDEO IS NOW ONLINE.

IT CAN BE VIEWED HERE.

That was fast.

fie in a dire

august on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I should probably get around to finishing the first one now

...what?

(I've had it since like late '98, but somehow I've never been able to finish the single-player campaign... I get bogged down in the last few Protoss missions.)

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here comes the end of the internets everyone. Grab yo shit and get on going.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    WTB AUTHORS COMMENTS ON THE GRAPHICS ARGH

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I am cumming

Urian on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I for one welcome our new blizzard overlords.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    THE VIDEO IS NOW ONLINE.

IT CAN BE VIEWED HERE.

That was fast.

Well.

Played.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Woooo!!! This is gonna be great!!

urahonky on
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    first page?

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    The Starcraft 2 Wiki page is fun to watch. Some people are having it redirect to the Second Coming wiki page.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    kildornkildorn Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    Thought I would put this in new thread too.

Link to games the SC2 lead designer has been involved with.
    http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,2347/

kildorn on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    OH SHIIIIIIIT

KOREA ASPLODE

Plutonium on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    THE VIDEO IS NOW ONLINE.

IT CAN BE VIEWED HERE.

That was fast.

I've been looking for that song.

rayofash on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    seems like the scale is going to be bigger. awesome. opposite of war3, seems like.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    THE VIDEO IS NOW ONLINE.

IT CAN BE VIEWED HERE.

That was fast.

I hate you.

Taximes on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Woo Woo Woo

Kami on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I <3 SC. God I need the video of this NOW

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    THE VIDEO IS NOW ONLINE.

IT CAN BE VIEWED HERE.

That was fast.

That was not fair. You are a meany.

Langly on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am so sorry guys.

It's just like a more discrete "It's a trap".

You can't just mouseover and go "OH, NOT THIS TIME MUFFIN MAN!"

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    3:15 - Zerglings can mutate into suicidal bomb things thar roll across the ground - very powerful explosions. Colossus using new IK system to move across differences in terraing height. Colossus extremley weak against air strike - New unit for protoss - Pheonix - can overcharge guns for multiple projectile blast - but after blast the ship is rendered inert for a short period.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Let's see how long it takes to fill up this thread. My estimation? 12 hours max.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Whoever posted that "Video" link, should be slowly cremated.

Alive.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    OH MY GOD

Duki on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I man, there is a god!

Paradox Control on