As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spirited [Anime]

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »

True fans already own all the blurays.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    So, I've spent the last 5 or 6 hours reading the first 100 chapters of Beastars...

Were you that eager to see naked bunny?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its a nice bonus but max is mainly a crunchyroll cartoon network vehicle to me

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    azith28 wrote: »
    So, I've spent the last 5 or 6 hours reading the first 100 chapters of Beastars...

I'm no expert in furry stuff

but there must be much more efficient ways to do that

out of curiosity, the contents of chapter 100 of Beastars is one of the side-chapters that turns out to matter to the overarching plot:
    An office worker herbivore who works at a carnivore-dominated sporting goods company rides in the carnivore car on the train daily as a way to commit suicide after being demoted because who cares what an herbivore thinks about sporting goods, and laments that in high school carnivores were honest even if they were sometimes scary, compared to the ones she works with who are condescending dudebros.

In a later chapter, she encounters her coworkers while hanging out with the main character. They start teasing her, MC just showing her basic respect (and being confused that they don't) makes them turn submissive and polite. Which leads to her day-drinking and trying to navigate the complicated frustration of having a well-meaning teenager wield more privilege (in that environment) by virtue of being born a big carnivore than she's earned through a career of hard work.

But it's not all politics and romance and social drama. It's also a series with GTO-esque "let's fight a street gang/serial killer/racism with our FISTS (and maybe GUNS)" arcs.

Beastars is cool.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

True fans already own all the blurays.

True fans own original movie theater film.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    true fans helped work on the film

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    true fans wear miyazaki's skin

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Finished reading "Actually, I Am...", really enjoyed it.
    I was surprised that even though it is technically a harem, he repeatedly and clearly turns down any girl that isn't his main love interest, and then actually ends up in a relationship with the main girl before the manga is even halfway over. Not only that, but they never have any bullshit breakup or anything, and even end up having to deal with a...
    ...high school pregnancy...

...by the end of it.

My only complaints about the ending is that Aizawa kind of got the short end of the stick with it implying she's going to end up as a spinster (aside from a throwaway line saying two random guys have a thing for aliens so maybe she'll end up with them), and that Karen never got her halo back despite several characters knowing where to find it (and especially after the reveal of why Akane hadn't let Karen graduate yet).

We also could have used a little more info on how Youko ended up like she was in the "50 years later..." timeline, even going so far as to abandon her daughter and never talk to any of the rest of the cast for so long. Since for the longest time neither Youko nor Aizawa were shown in the "50 years later..." segments, I was assuming Youko was dead and that Aizawa was what Youko was revealed to be. Instead we never found out what Aizawa was doing at that point.

And I guess Momochi isn't born in the main timeline since it doesn't seem like Shiho will be getting together with that asshole in this timeline?

Great manga overall. It's a shame the anime only covers so little of it and apparently isn't that great. The humor and some of the twists are great, and I'm not sure I could pick a favorite character. Also wanted to reiterate that I love the facial expressions in this.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I was surprised that even though it is technically a harem, he repeatedly and clearly turns down any girl that isn't his main love interest, and then actually ends up in a relationship with the main girl before the manga is even halfway over. Not only that, but they never have any bullshit breakup or anything, and even end up having to deal with a...

...by the end of it.

My only complaints about the ending is that Aizawa kind of got the short end of the stick with it implying she's going to end up as a spinster (aside from a throwaway line saying two random guys have a thing for aliens so maybe she'll end up with them), and that Karen never got her halo back despite several characters knowing where to find it (and especially after the reveal of why Akane hadn't let Karen graduate yet).

We also could have used a little more info on how Youko ended up like she was in the "50 years later..." timeline, even going so far as to abandon her daughter and never talk to any of the rest of the cast for so long. Since for the longest time neither Youko nor Aizawa were shown in the "50 years later..." segments, I was assuming Youko was dead and that Aizawa was what Youko was revealed to be. Instead we never found out what Aizawa was doing at that point.

And I guess Momochi isn't born in the main timeline since it doesn't seem like Shiho will be getting together with that asshole in this timeline?

Great manga overall. It's a shame the anime only covers so little of it and apparently isn't that great. The humor and some of the twists are great, and I'm not sure I could pick a favorite character. Also wanted to reiterate that I love the facial expressions in this.

It's been a few years but I believe:
    Youko abandoned her daughter because her "cool beauty" got turned up to 11 and she couldn't turn off her vampire charm effect? Something like that.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

I'm no expert in furry stuff

but there must be much more efficient ways to do that

out of curiosity, the contents of chapter 100 of Beastars is one of the side-chapters that turns out to matter to the overarching plot:
    An office worker herbivore who works at a carnivore-dominated sporting goods company rides in the carnivore car on the train daily as a way to commit suicide after being demoted because who cares what an herbivore thinks about sporting goods, and laments that in high school carnivores were honest even if they were sometimes scary, compared to the ones she works with who are condescending dudebros.

In a later chapter, she encounters her coworkers while hanging out with the main character. They start teasing her, MC just showing her basic respect (and being confused that they don't) makes them turn submissive and polite. Which leads to her day-drinking and trying to navigate the complicated frustration of having a well-meaning teenager wield more privilege (in that environment) by virtue of being born a big carnivore than she's earned through a career of hard work.

But it's not all politics and romance and social drama. It's also a series with GTO-esque "let's fight a street gang/serial killer/racism with our FISTS (and maybe GUNS)" arcs.

Beastars is cool.

Beastars is kind of really weird, and sometimes it feels like it's written by space aliens, but I still keep up with it because when it's cool, it's very goddamn cool.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

...by the end of it.

It's been a few years but I believe:
    Youko abandoned her daughter because her "cool beauty" got turned up to 11 and she couldn't turn off her vampire charm effect? Something like that.
    All they say is that she lost control of her charm ability as an explanation for how she ended up with the mantle of Charismatic Pervert instead of Shiho, but they don't say anything about why it's okay for her to return now, or anything about why Akane brought the daughter to Asahi.

I suppose you can infer she was afraid her charm ability would effect the child (after all, it is arguably effecting nearly everyone in the world except those in the resistance), but it doesn't explain why she stayed out of contact with everyone. I just would have liked a little more information here since they wrapped up that plot so quickly.

Still a good series, though.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Finished the first part of Carole & Tuesday on Netflix and now I goddamn need Part 2 in my life.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Bookworm is pretty cute but would it kill Crunchyroll to stick with spelling the names the same way as the light novel and manga translations. Especially when they are spelled that way at the request of the author.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    More upcoming fantasy/isekai shows. Sure why not.

"While Killing Slimes for 300 Years, I Became the Max Level Unknowingly"
    Suddenly dying from overwork, salarywoman Azusa Aizawa finds herself before an angel, who allows her to reincarnate into a new world as an immortal witch, where she spends her days killing slimes for money on an otherwise eternal vacation. But even the minimal experience points from slimes will add up after hundreds of years, and Azusa discovers that she accidentally reached the maximum level! Fearing that her strong abilities will attract work and force her back to a life of overexertion, she decides to hide her strength in order to preserve her peaceful lifestyle.

Despite her efforts, tales of the max level "Witch of the Plateau" spread across the land, and a proud dragon named Raika shows up looking to test their strength against her. Even though Azusa defeats and befriends Raika, problems arise as both friends and foes come looking for the secluded witch.

"The Journey of Elaina"
    This is supposedly a bit like "Kino's Journey" but in a fantasy/medieval world.

And lastly "Mushoku Tensei"
    The PV looks pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx01pn9l-6g

Isorn on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    More upcoming fantasy/isekai shows. Sure why not.

"While Killing Slimes for 300 Years, I Became the Max Level Unknowingly"
    Suddenly dying from overwork, salarywoman Azusa Aizawa finds herself before an angel, who allows her to reincarnate into a new world as an immortal witch, where she spends her days killing slimes for money on an otherwise eternal vacation. But even the minimal experience points from slimes will add up after hundreds of years, and Azusa discovers that she accidentally reached the maximum level! Fearing that her strong abilities will attract work and force her back to a life of overexertion, she decides to hide her strength in order to preserve her peaceful lifestyle.

Despite her efforts, tales of the max level "Witch of the Plateau" spread across the land, and a proud dragon named Raika shows up looking to test their strength against her. Even though Azusa defeats and befriends Raika, problems arise as both friends and foes come looking for the secluded witch.

"The Journey of Elaina"
    This is supposedly a bit like "Kino's Journey" but in a fantasy/medieval world.

And lastly "Mushoku Tensei"
    The PV looks pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx01pn9l-6g

The Mushoku Tensei source material (not sure if it was the WN or LN, it's been a while) was a decent read overall, buuuuut it has the MAJOR sketchiness of the MC being reincarnated as an newborn with his memories intact from his (complete shut-in extreme isolation from high-school or middle school forward) adulthood. It never even attempted any of the possible handwaves the writer could have used to make his romantic entanglements as a teenager less sketchy, iirc. It never even brings it up as a thing worth worrying about, even. If I read the WN, maybe the LN was better about it, since rough edges like that tend to be sanded down in the transition.

The version I read had a pretty interesting ending, though.
    He gives the evil God who let him reincarnate a few metaphorical black eyes throughout his young adulthood, and then undermines so many of his plots over the final timeskip that it turns out God gave up and took a break until the MC died of old age. They have a final quasi-amicable conversation about this after he dies as an old man surrounded by his family.

So his descendants with his...three? wives and his various longer-lived allies will have to deal with Round 2 of God Being A Dick, but the MC isn't too worried about it. I dunno if the author did a sequel series or just left it at that.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    My first impressions of No Guns Life are good

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oh is that what Mushoku Tensei was leading to? It moves so slowly in the manga that it only just got t,o I guess from reading that, the halfway point. Maybe not even that.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Oh is that what Mushoku Tensei was leading to? It moves so slowly in the manga that it only just got t,o I guess from reading that, the halfway point. Maybe not even that.

Out of curiosity, I pulled up a random chapter from volume 12 of 24 for the web novel version, which is apparently the one one I read, and the MC's immediate concern is
    that if he goes on an important mission, he may get back late for the birth of his first child.

So, that's the halfway point, if that tells you anything.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Killing Slimes for 300 years is a yuri, just to add some info

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »

Neat.

Here's hoping it doesn't follow in the footsteps of other yuri/yaoi+another genre anime adaptations, and censor itself down to subtext.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

Neat.

Here's hoping it doesn't follow in the footsteps of other yuri/yaoi+another genre anime adaptations, and censor itself down to subtext.

wait, that was my bad, it's a shoujo, not a yuri. there's really no romance going on

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i thought i had missed something in the manga for a minute.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Out of curiosity, I pulled up a random chapter from volume 12 of 24 for the web novel version, which is apparently the one one I read, and the MC's immediate concern is
    that if he goes on an important mission, he may get back late for the birth of his first child.

So, that's the halfway point, if that tells you anything.

Oh so not even close to halfway then.
    Manga just got to initial timeskip where he's attending magic school.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Season 2 of Kaguya-sama announced!

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    about time!

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Oh love me mistaaa

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Today's winners: everyone!

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Kaguya-sama S2 speculation!

Not a spoiler: It will be great.

If it's 13 episodes, I think:
    It will probably get to the Athletics Festival, which dealt with Yu Ishigami's backstory, and is real good.

If by some miracle it's 26 episodes, I think:
    It will get to the School Festival arc, the climax of which spawned the most upvoted chapter discussion post on /r manga of all time. It was a masterpiece. People flipped their goddamn shit.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I am pretty happy with all these new season announcements lately.

"Go read the manga" endings are lame.

Isorn on
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Isn't "go read the manga" the entire point of anime adaptations? To sell more books. Look at what happened with Demon Slayer. It almost outsold One Piece.

silence1186 on
  • Options

Isn't "go read the manga" the entire point of anime adaptations? To sell more books. Look at what happened with Demon Slayer. It almost outsold One Piece.

Sure but it doesn't make me any happier about it. I like seeing things animated.

• Options
    So, Cavalier of the Abyss translation finished. It literally ended on 'now, let's start the climactic arc!'

The actual arc of Cavalier, though I think maybe 150 chapters was too much for it, was
    Nex getting back to something resembling a normal hero instead of being a ruthless tyrant who won't explain why he does or did any the seemingly cruel things he was getting up to.

He and Xix punch out their last frustrations then agree that they both want the same thing, to save the world and their loved ones, and team up.

The real question is where does Nex find an adequate hallmark card for his wife and two of his kids. And maybe his little brother.

I'm just going to write up the actual family backstory for anyone curious who doesn't feel like slogging through this bleak ass series but had some lingering attachment from Immortal Regis AND to help myself put it together:
    • A prophecy makes his wife Serin attack him to stop him from killing his brother, who was possessed by an eldritch abomination but seized control of his body back (Nex thinks this is a ploy). She's pregnant with twins at the time, unknown to everyone.
    • While she's hiding out and waiting for a chance to go back and explain it, yandere princess with a crush on Nex, Iffrita, disguises herself as Serin with magic and attacks Nex's closest ally.
    • Serin stays in hiding after this, eventually going to Iffrita for help so she can give birth safely. This was a very poor decision.
    • Iffrita miscarries her child with her dead fiance, and then steals one of Serin's babies (Ninuurta) to claim as hers and Nex's to force a marriage. Serin is left to be raped and murdered by her goons.
    • Serin escapes and runs into a friendly childish eldritch abomination, who makes a deal to protect her daughter IF she lets him 'become her child'. He throws away his immortality and memories and becomes Xix, the MC of the sequel series.
    • Serin gets caught and locked up indefinitely for all her crimes and betrayal (which she mostly didn't commit).
    • Later, Siana (the daughter) accidentally helps agents of Caladbolg (the eldritch abomination little brother) into town and her father shows up to kill them all to stamp out the infection (not knowing his daughter is in this town or even exists). This gets Xix killed, but she resurrects him with her innate powers. He goes berserk and kills her, but Caladbolg finds her and resurrects her.
    • Xix doesn't remember most of this and thinks 'Oh my god, this Nex guy murdered everyone I know for no reason'.
    • He goes to kill Nex and fails and ends up sort of hanging out because Nex is a weirdo. He seems to have Nex's blood, making people think he's one of the lost children (people know Serin seems to have given birth while she was missing), but that's actually just because he has Siana's blood in his body from his resurrection.
    • Nex, meanwhile, has always kind of figured Iffrita tricked him somehow about his son Ninuurta. He figures he's actually her old fiance's son and her entire clan pulled a fast one somehow. This eventually escalates to her getting executed when he finds out how much dirt she's been up to behind the scenes. Ninuurta dies in all this...and resurrects as an undead, proving he is definitely Nex's son.
    • Ninuurta through this has developed a bit of a connection with this Siana girl and joins her in Caladbolg's crew for his revenge. Hope that, uh, didn't get too weird.
    • Serin escapes and goes with Caladbolg, not as his ally, but to make sure nothing happens to her two children who are with him.
    • Caladbolg continues to insist that throughout all of this, his original self as Nex's little brother has been in control and merely acting in self-defense, even if that self-defense sometimes meant 'all Nex's allies reduced to body horror monstrosities begging for death such that he starts purging entire towns to prevent the spread of that shit when it turns up'.
    • Oh also there's another fake son in here, but he's so blatantly fake no one even sort of believes him except as a political tool for the noble families.
    • And Nex had an actual daughter with Iffrita during the years Serin was sealed, who is very cheerful and happy and doted on but oops her father did have her mother executed as a traitor, hope that's not too traumatic.
    • Nex only finds out about all of this via magic at the very end of the series. He feels very awkward about the whole thing. He seems committed to not being a dick, since it hasn't really been working out for him or the world.
    • His super-fraud fake son just claimed his throne, backed by his eldritch abomination brother (and with his entire estranged actual family in tow)
    • The end

I wonder if the final series of the...series? would maintain the relatively upbeat and hopeful tone of the final chapter and leave Cavalier of the Abyss as the Empire Strikes Back of the trilogy, or continue with the darker tone that most of this series had compared to Immortal Regis?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Dr. Stone (anime) this week had the mother of all twists, and it was kind of awesome?
    The entire reason there's a tribe of people that never turned to stone was because there was 6 astronauts who re-started humanity (such as it is), including the main dude's father.

I'm not going to think about the genetics too hard right now, but it's pretty neat.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Dr. Stone (anime) this week had the mother of all twists, and it was kind of awesome?
    The entire reason there's a tribe of people that never turned to stone was because there was 6 astronauts who re-started humanity (such as it is), including the main dude's father.

I'm not going to think about the genetics too hard right now, but it's pretty neat.

I was most surprised that:
    When the diva sang, the song was in English!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Well, that certainly explains why the tribe speaks the same language as Senku.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    looking forward to the return of chika

dfBXTwz.png

• Options
    I wonder if they'll pay a bunch of money to have a one of ED again, a la:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmrrIIhtY7w

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    looking forward to the return of chika

dfBXTwz.png

the most precious idiot

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

How cute

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
This discussion has been closed.