As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain [MARVEL] Vs. The Evil Avengers

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I am really not into Rob's Twitter schtick honestly

He is a huge asshole, not just kind of abraisive, to everyone and after that shit over him getting pissy about PAD making one of his creation's gay he doesn't really have much credit with me.

"As the guy that created, designed and wrote his first dozen appearances, Shatterstar is not gay. Sorry. Can't wait to someday undo this... Shatterstar is akin to Maximus in Gladiator. He's a warrior, a Spartan, and not a gay one." When another commenter added that numerous writers that followed him had developed the character in very different ways, Liefeld responded, "Your opinion doesn't change the fact that it sucks."

With no real walkback or apology that I can find should really get the dude more flack than it has

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i have an incredibly complicated relationship with rob liefeld, but i adore the heck out of the sentiment in that tweet

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I finished up the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine miniseries

Yeah that was definitely a noticable dip in quality, for several reasons

The most immediately obvious is how weirdly dated it felt? Claremont's writing has gotten more...sophisticated isn't really the right word but more complex and nuanced than it was back when he started with UXM #94 (which, oh jesus I'm almost at his 100 issue mark) and this felt like it could have come out in this early days.

The art certainly didn't help, with Paul Smith, JRJR and Sienkienwicz killing it over on the ongoings, Milgrom's work here felt very crude and scratchy whereas a returning Frank Miller or someone could have helped carry the weight of the less than great script a bit more.

Oh well, onto the Legion saga.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Has anyone photoshopped thst Cap pic to move his head over a bit? I feel that would fix the image.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Has anyone photoshopped thst Cap pic to move his head over a bit? I feel that would fix the image.

Any Photoshop I've seen of that pic has not been in attempt to fix it.

Instead makes more hilarious.

I like the one that makes cap from the movie into that frame

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular

Kelly Turnbull, of TPIM and a bunch of animated shows, did a whole drawing thing of how it's basically a body-building shot with the arms in the wrong place.
    9c0mmg57ipla.png

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

Kelly Turnbull, of TPIM and a bunch of animated shows, did a whole drawing thing of how it's basically a body-building shot with the arms in the wrong place.
    9c0mmg57ipla.png

A good effort, but it's been scientifically proven that this is what his body looks like
    w57IAES.jpg

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I am really not into Rob's Twitter schtick honestly

He is a huge asshole, not just kind of abraisive, to everyone and after that shit over him getting pissy about PAD making one of his creation's gay he doesn't really have much credit with me.

"As the guy that created, designed and wrote his first dozen appearances, Shatterstar is not gay. Sorry. Can't wait to someday undo this... Shatterstar is akin to Maximus in Gladiator. He's a warrior, a Spartan, and not a gay one." When another commenter added that numerous writers that followed him had developed the character in very different ways, Liefeld responded, "Your opinion doesn't change the fact that it sucks."

With no real walkback or apology that I can find should really get the dude more flack than it has

“Do you like movies about gladiators?” really pokes a hole in that argument.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »

9c0mmg57ipla.png

A good effort, but it's been scientifically proven that this is what his body looks like
    w57IAES.jpg
    You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    If it's a body building pose his head is also in the wrong place

• Options
    HoX #5 has me

Conflicted
    The core idea of mutants balancing the scales against a world that hates and fears them by making themselves functionally immortal so that humanity can no longer lash out and cull their numbers is something I like a lot

But the way everything is presented gives me suuuuuuper cult-y vibes and Charles is still shady as fuck and I am genuinely unsure whether that is something that is gonna get resolved or if Charles' ends are going to justify the means

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    HoX #5 has me

Conflicted
    The core idea of mutants balancing the scales against a world that hates and fears them by making themselves functionally immortal so that humanity can no longer lash out and cull their numbers is something I like a lot

But the way everything is presented gives me suuuuuuper cult-y vibes and Charles is still shady as fuck and I am genuinely unsure whether that is something that is gonna get resolved or if Charles' ends are going to justify the means
    I feel like the resurrection stuff isn't going to stick around. It's neat, but it's too easy. And as you said, very very cult-y. I expect when shit hits the fan they'll be left with an independent mutant nation on Krakoa but beyond that I'm not sure how much is going to stick. The big question for me is whether Charles is manipulating all of the original mutants directly and then replacing them when they die, or if they're most/all pod people with the original models in storage somewhere (HoX #1 mentions a flower that sprouts "No-Places"

"This non-naturally occurring flower produces a habitat that exists outside the collective consciousness of Krakoa. A place within the island ecosystem that Krakoa doesn't know exists. A Krakoan tumor."

Seems like somewhere you would hide less-pliable original model X-Men to keep them out of the way of more impressionable clones. Seems like the 5 mutants actually creating the clones would need to be the originals though.

The other option is that it's just Xavier (or Xavier and Krakoa) manipulating everyone and the newly reborn X-Men are who they are going forward, which could have implications once the truth is known.

Shit's complicated.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    HoX #5 has me

Conflicted

I feel like the resurrection stuff isn't going to stick around. It's neat, but it's too easy. And as you said, very very cult-y. I expect when shit hits the fan they'll be left with an independent mutant nation on Krakoa but beyond that I'm not sure how much is going to stick. The big question for me is whether Charles is manipulating all of the original mutants directly and then replacing them when they die, or if they're most/all pod people with the original models in storage somewhere (HoX #1 mentions a flower that sprouts "No-Places"

"This non-naturally occurring flower produces a habitat that exists outside the collective consciousness of Krakoa. A place within the island ecosystem that Krakoa doesn't know exists. A Krakoan tumor."

Seems like somewhere you would hide less-pliable original model X-Men to keep them out of the way of more impressionable clones. Seems like the 5 mutants actually creating the clones would need to be the originals though.

The other option is that it's just Xavier (or Xavier and Krakoa) manipulating everyone and the newly reborn X-Men are who they are going forward, which could have implications once the truth is known.

Shit's complicated.
    I think the cloning is gonna stick

Hickman has said this is his favorite HoXPoX issue and the first real look at where he is going with his run, along with writers like Leah Williams (who he has said will be writing a Wave 2 ongoing) going NUTS over the development on Twitter.

It is definitely being treated like something that isn't going to be done away of next issue or what have you

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Jonathan Hickman: clearly we need to innovate a way around racism when direct action fails

• Options
    I genuinely do not see how you can get that take from this
    The previous issue showed the millions of deaths of mutants and how repeated efforts to live in peace through various means have failed

So now the Mutants are leveling the playing field and both taking genocide off of the table while also offering valuable resources to humanity

And then even after that it is shown that mutant racism is alive and well, Frost says that she forcibly manipulated some UN delegates who were super racist to abstain from a vote that would have otherwise sparked a war

They aren't "innovating a way around racism" they are realizing that they can't just fix racism or change enough minds to make the racists not matter and instead establishing themselves as a world power that is ready and willing to combat any mutant hate groups or attacks on their people

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I am submitting another piece of evidence for the "Nightcrawler is the best X-Man" case:

Something about this I really like is it reminds me of how much depth the New Mutants characters have. Rahne is being a jerk in those images. She’s pushing her own issues into Nightcrawler and refusing to believe he is a good person. It’s very understandable for her to do, but is also cruel. But it doesn’t make her any less sympathetic in my eyes. Cause Rahne has had a metric fuckton of trauma and abuse heaped upon her by her former caretakers, and she has trouble finding any value in herself. And it makes her very real. And it isn’t something she just gets trough in a couple of issues. It’s a reoccurring theme for the character for a long time.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Hey so I know that Xavier is in Fantomex's body. Is there a quick way someone could spoiler it for me. Last I read of Fantomex was the Uncanny X-Force run.

edit - I know the whole Shadow King stuff, I meant was it gone into at all the agreement for X to come back via Fantomex?
    Also, he looks so much to me like Maker Reed from Ultimate Universe that helmet especially, are we supposed to be getting that vibe?

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I dont understand how cloning wolverine works

Where wheres the adamatite

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I dont understand how cloning wolverine works

Where wheres the adamatite
    Proteus is a reality warper, he can just slap it on there.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hey so I know that Xavier is in Fantomex's body. Is there a quick way someone could spoiler it for me. Last I read of Fantomex was the Uncanny X-Force run.

edit - I know the whole Shadow King stuff, I meant was it gone into at all the agreement for X to come back via Fantomex?
    Also, he looks so much to me like Maker Reed from Ultimate Universe that helmet especially, are we supposed to be getting that vibe?

Fantomex agreed to do it under the hopes that it would buy him forgiveness for the things he has done to impede the mutant cause. Alternately, he agreed to do it because Xavier is very persuasive.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I'm not a 100% sure I am in for whatever is coming after HoXPoX, but I do mostly dig the work Hickman is doing to reboot things. I loved the Mr. Sinister scenes in the last issue, and I thought the issue that dropped today was solid.

Non-Marvel, and didn't see a generic comic thread, but man, Once and Future is great. Just finished the second issue, and I am hooked.

• Options
    Once and Future ruuuuuules

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I am gonna guess that one of the Wave 2 books for Dawn of X will be
    The Five.

Then database stuff mentions they have become very close, like a family unit, and it is a good mix of characters to have in an ensemble book.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    HoX
    Really curious how Xavier thinks they're going to make vampiric mutants like Selene and Emplate behave in a society.

Notable mutants we have not yet seen on Krakoa: Legion, Cable, Rachel Grey, Nate Grey. Legion especially if he were there would be a more stable alternative to Proteus in the Five.

It definitely feels like a lot of characters are being mind-controlled to some degree.

• Options
    Apparently Bleeding Cool got the December solicits early but then took all their stories down?

Before they did, they revealed that Walt Simonson would be returning for an anniversary Thor one-shot, similar to the other one-shots they have been doing all year.

Also the solicit for X-Men #3 and #4 refers to the team as "the most powerful heroes of the dominant species on the planet" so I guess they're fuckin goin for it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    yo what all ever happened with the age of x-man nonsense

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited September 2019
    yo what all ever happened with the age of x-man nonsense
    Nothing really

There were some good stories in there (X-Tremists was a really good super queer romance that handled Blob like an actual human being with feelings and desires for the first time in ages) but it was, like much of the 2018/Early 2019 X-Men stuff in hindsight, just a stopgap to try and make some sales before Hickman started up and didn't really have much impact

Which isn't a knock on the creative teams, they put in the work, but they were not given much to work with in the first place

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    why they gotta do my boy dirty like that

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Anybody read the Abrams Spider-Man #1?

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Anybody read the Abrams Spider-Man #1?
    Yeah, I enjoyed it.

It ain't, like, mind-blowing but it was well executed and had a good emotional hook. I was not happy that
    they seemingly fridged MJ, but then they reveal she is still alive and being held captive, so that's better

The core hook actually works really well knowing the creative team
    Abrams working on this big father-son Spidey story with his kid is honestly kinda sweet

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda #1 was fine. Not great, but a perfectly competent superhero action book with such a weird cast that it is still fun.

But the final page made me genuinely crack up
    The team is investigating a disturbance in PAWHUSKA, OKLAHOMA (woo!) And get jumped by otherdimensional monsters.
    xeql55nbrcxm.jpg
    f05k8ey8r35g.jpg
    uupmdeohqa9d.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda #1 was fine. Not great, but a perfectly competent superhero action book with such a weird cast that it is still fun.

But the final page made me genuinely crack up
    The team is investigating a disturbance in PAWHUSKA, OKLAHOMA (woo!) And get jumped by otherdimensional monsters.
    xeql55nbrcxm.jpg
    f05k8ey8r35g.jpg
    uupmdeohqa9d.jpg

do we @ him, or would that count as a spoiler?

• Options
    He should sense it, deep in his bones

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    @WeedLordVegeta
    s2z8gbq4lizr.jpg
    More 2099 one-shots are hitting in December including Doom 2099 from Chip Zdarsky

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Alright, that seems like it's worth checking out

• Options
    I will read anything Chip Zdarsky writes.

• Options
    His newsletter is very Chip Zdarsky, btw, and also very short. I enjoy it.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, I am kinda at a point where Zdarsky and Lemire (Black Hammer) are really hitting with me right now. I haven't read enough Gillen yet, but as I mentioned before, Once and Future has me hooked.

Speaking of Zdarsky, I read the first two issues of his Spectacular Spider-Man series... Does it keep the quality throughout?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Yeah, I am kinda at a point where Zdarsky and Lemire (Black Hammer) are really hitting with me right now. I haven't read enough Gillen yet, but as I mentioned before, Once and Future has me hooked.

Speaking of Zdarsky, I read the first to issues of his Spectacular Spider-Man series... Does it keep the quality throughout?
    It actually gets better and his final issue is my favorite single issue of Spider-Man ever.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The Annihilation sequel thing got fully revealed: it's a series of one shots.

The bookend issues, Annihilation Scourge Alpha and Omega are from Matthew Rosenberg and Manuel Garcia

The others are Nova by Rosenberg and Ibraim Roberson, Fantastic Four by Christos Gage and Diego Orlotegui, Beta Ray Bill by Michael Moreci and Alberto Albuquerque and Silver Surfer by Dan Abnett and Paul Davidson.

I think Rosenbnerg is a pretty decent writer, although cosmic shit strikes me as out of his wheelhouse, but why in the world would you do an Annihilation sequel, have Dan Abnett contribute to it and not have him be the lead writer on the thing?

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.