As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain [MARVEL] Vs. The Evil Avengers

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I see all over Twitter AntMan 3 has been confirmed but I haven’t seen anyone actually post a source...

Kind of surprised! I figured he’d still be around but his days of holding a movie alone (well, with Wasp) were over.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I am glad to see the only family friendly MCU property continuing

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It isn't confirmed, a leaker just says it is happening

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    BREAKING: ANONYMOUS SOURCE SAYS "ANTMAN 3 NOT CONFIRMED"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Boo this post!

Booo!

sig.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

But what about Half Life 3, oh all-knowing Anonymous Source?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    half-life 3 is obviously not being made because it's not a profitable thing for them to make

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    half-life 3 is obviously not being made because it's not a profitable thing for them to make

Gabe Newell holds a press conference, shows up with a box labeled "Do Not Open Until Artifact Makes A Billion Dollars"

Wordlessly, he rips it open, revealing a disk with "Half-Life 3" written on it, and dropping the disk into a blender

"Shouldn't have been so ungrateful."

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    beep beep beep beep beep boo boo boo boo boop breaking news from the tal report

was I right about thanos being the disciple of the red skull or what

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    No, you weren't!

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    beep beep beep beep beep boo boo boo boo boop breaking news from the tal report

was I right about thanos being the disciple of the red skull or what

yes

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Newsarama has an interview with Ben Percy, Ed Brisson and Tini Howard about their Dawn of X books and the new era.

Howard says that she got word when everyone else did, last October, via an email from Jonathan Hickman titled "X-Men Ideas" that was a giant block of text pitching his status quo. She didn't read who it was from and wondered who the hell this lunatic was and then checked and realized she had loved this lunatic's work for years!

She says Excalibur started out as an Apocalypse focused book but gradually shifted to focusing on Betsy as its central figure. Apocalypse will still be very prominent, but the heart and soul of the book is Betsy as Captain Britain. Howard also said that Brian isn't just getting shoved off to the side, he will be part of the book and will provide an interesting viewpoint as the human brother to a mutant in the middle of their upheaval, as well as Captain Britain being a citizen of Krakoa as well as Britain.

Brisson confirmed that the first arc of New Mutants is basically all Hickman, focusing on the original NM. They go to space to find Cannonball and tell him about Krakoa, but because they hitched a ride with the Starjammers they get inadvertently caught up in space pirate bullshit. Once that arc is done the book will take a wider approach to its cast and focus on how the younger generation is adapting to Krakoa as well as spreading the word to all the Mutants they can. He also confirmed that he isn't looking to create many new characters as they now have basically all of the Characters ever created to play with and there are so many underused ones.

Percy reiterated his earlier comments on X-Force, with it being led by Wolverine and Beast in charge of operations and intelligence. He pointed to the fact that X-Force is now an arm of Krakoa's government as a major difference from the previous "off the books" versions of the team. He also teased that X-Force #1 ends with a huge development for Krakoa as a whole which will be reflected across the entire line of books.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options
    I really shouldn't be surprised that Ewing writes an outstanding Mephisto

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I really shouldn't be surprised that Ewing writes outstanding

• Options
    I decided to take a quick break from the Claremont run as I near the end, I'm about to hit X-Tinction Agenda, and read Mike Carey's X-Men, since it is suddenly very relevant again.

What a weird team line-up, I absolutely love it. Rogue leading Cable, Mystique, Iceman, Cannonball and, on a literal leash at times, Sabretooth is such a bananas team roster and a great collection of personalities to bump up against each other.

It is also really neat to see Cannonball in contrast to reading the nearly 100 issues of ye olde New Mutants. Obviously I've read plenty of modern Cannonball stuff, he's my favorite blasty boy, but it is really satisfying to see Sam treated like an equal of Rogue and Iceman and Cyclops after following his younger days of wondering if he is cut out to lead or be a hero. Character development!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I like the friendship that Sam and Bobby develop in that run, it's unexpected and cool.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I'm powering through the end of The Claremont Era and jesus christ does New Mutants just fall off a cliff, quality wise, once Liefeld and Cable show up.

Simonson is clearly checked out (likely due to, per reports I read having Liefeld really take control) and then once she steps back to just plotting and Nicieza scripting it is just straight up bad.

Action scenes are poorly paced, characters are making jokes they wouldn't have before (Rictor, a 16 year old teenager in the 90s, calls Cable "Mahatma Patton") and the whole thing is just sloppy as hell. There is a page where Cable tells the team to "stay on their toes" and then says "I didn't mean that literally, Warlock". But Warlock isn't even in the panel! There is no gag here!

Huge bummer of a way for a bunch of folks I love to go out

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't understand how Liefeld broke into the comics industry
    is it just that he worked fast? or what

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    People love(d) his art

Like he still sells books, Major X came out earlier this year and sold 43k and was in the top 20 books

I think he is crap, but he has a following of folks who genuinely enjoy his work and that was a pretty large group back in the 90s

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    On a positive note, I read this issue:
    csemxla5x5h2.jpg

After seeing that covered homaged a billion times

That issue rules! One of my favorites of Claremont's whole run! Logan and Steve Rogers up to Indiana Jones ass pulp shenanigans as the B story to Black Widow and Wolverine, Jubilee and Psylocke's A story was a blast and Wolverine being Natasha's "Little Uncle" is something I haven't really seen anyone touch on which is a fun angle I would like to see more of.

What a rad, out of nowhere, done-in-one as things are all coming to a head

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    People love(d) his art

Like he still sells books, Major X came out earlier this year and sold 43k and was in the top 20 books

I think he is crap, but he has a following of folks who genuinely enjoy his work and that was a pretty large group back in the 90s

Liefeld was in the same school of art as Marc Silvestri, Jim Lee, Art Adams, and JRJR's early work, all of which were exploding in popularity at the time, and the idea was growing that artists drove sales, and so they should drive the storytelling too, which was in hindsight very dumb.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    There is a page where Cable tells the team to "stay on their toes" and then says "I didn't mean that literally, Warlock". But Warlock isn't even in the panel! There is no gag here!
    Isn't that like Tony going "That guy's playing Galaga" in the first Avengers? I don't think you need to show the action for the joke to be funny.

Actually, I think the joke is at its funniest if they show Warlock and he isnt on his toes, because Cable and the reader both know how Warlock is likely to interpret the statement and Cable preempts the goofy behavior. But if we can't reach this lofty height, I am ok with the off-screen gag (although admittedly it only works when part of a rapid-fire series of statements, and might not read as well as it sounds aloud).

God, look at me defending Liefeld over here. What am I become?

• Options
    Yeah I think the joke might play okay in a movie in the same manner but doesn't work in comics because it isn't an auditory medium

The Galaga joke lands because of RDJ's delivery and the context (and also because of the much funnier delayed punchline at the end of the scene where you DO see it)

Comics are a strictly visual medium so line reads don't work. Either your dialogue has to be funny as written or you gotta have some sort of visual accompaniment that makes it work together. Like if Warlock, while everyone else is super serious and armed to the teeth, is in the back shifted into Elmer Fudd and tip toeing.

It bad

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm going to be honest, a Liefeld book with the line "stay on your toes" is hilarious; I'm assuming nobody had feet drawn on that page, let alone toes.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Oddly enough, I kind of like Liefeld in X-Force? Though that is also where Nicieza is scripting and co-plotting, and seems to mesh with Liefeld very well. The book isn’t good, but it’s not bad either? It’s very action movie and kind of fun that way.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    There’s no general comics thread, so:

I can’t figure out how to @ geebs, I think his name changed

But I can’t wait! The authors have been talking about this for a few years now and a while back various artists had to draw audition pieces for a graphic novel. Sounds like it’s finally happening or at least too far along to not happen

Jimothy on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    unfortunately I have not been considered for either project

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2019
    #268 is one of my favourite X-Men issues ever, along with Annual #11 and X-Factor #86. Just a fantastic issue, and a really good depiction of a young Cap from Claremont. Some amazing panels, like Wolverine kicking through the car windscreen and some great Jubilee expressions.

ofbu170ppxgm.jpeg

Such motion in that panel! I fucking love Jim Lee when he’s at the top of his game like that.

I read X-Men #1 and it was pretty good but boy howdy Yu can’t quite get someone smiling contentedly right. In the panel he’s supposed to be smiling Cyclops looks like someone has his nuts in a vice and he’s just powering through it.

Bogart on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    A textless preview of Iron Man 2020 has come out, showing off the first threat Arno will be dealing with as the new Iron Man.
    9ufqANuh.jpge3tLlzDh.jpg

It turns out there's also gonna be new side-series connected to Arno's time in the armor as this checklist shows.

t8Q86COh.jpg

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    SHIELD managed to "lose" a six-pack of Furybots LMDs, huh?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    In the panel he’s supposed to be smiling Cyclops looks like someone has his nuts in a vice and he’s just powering through it.
    Yeah, that's what "smiling contentedly" is for Cyclops.

• Options
    A new Ironheart series, nice!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    A textless preview of Iron Man 2020 has come out, showing off the first threat Arno will be dealing with as the new Iron Man.
    9ufqANuh.jpge3tLlzDh.jpg

It turns out there's also gonna be new side-series connected to Arno's time in the armor as this checklist shows.

t8Q86COh.jpg

That suit does not butter my croissants to say the least

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    9ufqANuh.jpge3tLlzDh.jpg

t8Q86COh.jpg

Getting rid of the shoulder gears would fix about 90% of it too.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    [[/img]

Getting rid of the shoulder gears would fix about 90% of it too.

Just reducing them in size by about half would be a start.

weapon.exe is a good title though, gj whoever did that

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Is that fucking Clock King is that what Clock King looks like these days pretty radical departure for Clock King

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    arno stark looks like you tried to recreate arno stark in the city of heroes character creator and no this is not a bad thing

This discussion has been closed.