As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overwatch: Echo Live

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »
    They should just make the queues 'preferences' rather than guaranteed selections. Support/tank queues would basically function as is, but the DPS queue players would randomly be assigned to support or tank as needed. Or give players the option to guarantee their choice, but at the cost of longer queue times.

That sounds like a great way to get shitty throwing don't wanna be tanks AND supports in every game. The one thing about role queue is that my experience playing tank and support have become much much more pleasant. Part of that is that it is a choice instead feeling obligated and part of it is that people generally want to play the roles they signed up for.

Yeah, that's a fair concern. My hope with giving players the option to guarantee a role if they're willing to wait longer is to accommodate those adamant DPS players and not force them into tank/support roles. Maybe that would alleviate the problem. Don't know how else to lower queue times.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The important thing is that the next patch increases all of Doomfist's cooldowns by 2 seconds

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yilias wrote: »
    Doesn't that already happen when you select multiple roles?

Kind of, but I think queuing for multiple roles just fills you into whatever one comes open first. Being able to prioritize may be more appealing to DPS players.

Edit: I guess just flipping that, so players queued into multiple roles by default would help greatly.

Slortex on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    I actually think they should have a 2-3-1 and increase all healers output. Let Zen put on two harmonies, etc. Then you reduce wait time and don't force your people that want to play dps to be terrible healers just to get a game.

• Options
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    I actually think they should have a 2-3-1 and increase all healers output. Let Zen put on two harmonies, etc. Then you reduce wait time and don't force your people that want to play dps to be terrible healers just to get a game.

I am all for shitty DPS players being forced through the gauntlet of playing as a healer if they're vapid enough to pick healer just to up their queue speed, because some of them might learn some fucking empathy for once

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    On that note...now that 222
    soylenth wrote: »
    It's kind of weird/funny that the comp most people want to play, mostly dps, tends to not actually be that effective at winning games (in my experience anyway). Outside of comp I think people want to play the role they want more than they want to win. They keep balancing things around a balanced comp that increases the odds of winning but I'm not sure a lot of casual play reflects that as something people want. So is the problem basically tanks/heals are less fun to play than dps? Or that the rewards for winning aren't really compelling? Both? Neither?

Honestly I think it's a lot of factors.

1. Yeah, dinging heads and getting Play of the Game will generally be more fun for most people.

2. While tank and supports are the more important roles they also have less playmaking potential and playing good tank/support with really bad DPS can feel like you're just slowly losing at times. (Especially if the enemy team picks Reaper to counter your tanks).

3. As far as tank goes, speaking as a tank main, you'll spend a lot of time getting hit in the face. It's your job. That requires a bit of masochist streak not every player has.

4. On that note being a good support usually means being a good team player which the average Call of Duty kid isn't.

5. Because DPS isn't as vital to the team's core it also gives them more freedom to do what they want as long as they don't fuck up.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how true it really is, but it definitely feels like you can carry as a dps but as a tank or support you are dependent on the whole team.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I'm not sure how true it really is, but it definitely feels like you can carry as a dps but as a tank or support you are dependent on the whole team.

yeah i've seen a great genji, doomfist, tracer, etc. just shred the enemy team and it seems like without that one person we'd easily win. in fact, if i can convince everyone to focus that all-star its usually how we do end up winning.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Like...there are some Tanks/Support that have more carry potential than others so it isn't impossible.

Its just that in a game where man advantage is a big deal the class that is built to get eliminations will have the easier time of it.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »

yeah i've seen a great genji, doomfist, tracer, etc. just shred the enemy team and it seems like without that one person we'd easily win. in fact, if i can convince everyone to focus that all-star its usually how we do end up winning.

Diagnosing and addressing the carry is absolutely The Solution to a lot of games. I've spent games doing nothing but distracting and not-quite-dying to an enemy Ashe or Widowmaker, and my team'll win just because she was such a colossal value that I moved off the board. And if you get the pick and actually remove her, it's like you just killed both supports and clean-up is free.

It's Ashe a lot lately.

Last night it was a Tracer/Pharah. We were defending Eichenwald, I'm on Tracer and the reds are running Tracer and Sombra - which ain't great for me, but we had a Sym who kept them at bay while I ran amok in their backline, wrecking supports and picking off the DPS when they were retreating from my team.

Eventually they take point A in OT, and they can't get the cart even under the overpass so Tracer switches to Pharah (they had a Mercy) and they just wrecked us right up to the castle and took the second point. It happened so fast I was only able to switch to Soldier for about thirty seconds before they hit the castle doors, then decided Tracer'll be just as good V. Pharah inside the castle and switched back. They didn't move the payload another inch, and the enemy Moira sent me a message to let me know I "got bodied" and should "get that trash Tracer out of here." (PotG was their Pharah, damage-buffed by Mercy, barraging me as I waited, hopefully, that our Ana might turn around and heal me lol.)

I think she was salty because I killed her and the Mercy so often. Even stuck her with the Pulse bomb twice lol. Whenever I hear the sound of a Moira fading I start salivating like Pavlov's Tracer.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    I hate when I'm the carry as tank cause then the enemy team just picks Reaper and its sad times ahead for me.

• Options
    I usta think D.Va was the best Reaper answer - just matrixing him when he tried to jump my buds was enough to get him focused down - but now I think I'm most confident on Orisa against him. D.Va just dies too quick nowadays.

Fortify is big, halt can yank him back behind your shield or back around a corner when he tries to bail, and her gun is excellent against him.

• Options
    I do feel like something needs be done with D.Va...I kind of feel the DM knobs have been turned a little bit too far.

Its so unwieldly to use atm.

Not that I think she's weak...just weird feeling.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I do feel like something needs be done with D.Va...I kind of feel the DM knobs have been turned a little bit too far.

Its so unwieldly to use atm.

Not that I think she's weak...just weird feeling.

I think she's kinda' weak. The anti goats nerfs left her undertuned.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Tanks can definitely "carry" because having a good tank is a huge advantage over the team that doesn't have one. It does require a base level of competence on your team to actually utilize that advantage, but most players aren't totally hopeless. Part of the skill of playing tank is to work with your team and choose a tank that works with their picks. So I think most of the time a tank player has a lot of opportunity to win the game for their team.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    Tanks can definitely "carry" because having a good tank is a huge advantage over the team that doesn't have one. It does require a base level of competence on your team to actually utilize that advantage, but most players aren't totally hopeless. Part of the skill of playing tank is to work with your team and choose a tank that works with their picks. So I think most of the time a tank player has a lot of opportunity to win the game for their team.

100% true. A hard-working tank with a hard-working support attached will carry a game, albeit, usually silently. I think you rarely notice, but the effect is profound because your DPS can happily just run rampant against a disrupted enemy team, with a nice, safe backline they can return to when need be. When you do notice a carry tank it's like they're a different species.

I met a Rein once who hard carried us on Oasis, of all maps. He was aggressive as hell but was awesome at fading back at just the right moment before going all-in with a crazy play that would always turn out perfectly for us. "Are you afraid to fight me???"

• Options
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    That music sounds like it's pulled directly from the Sims.

• Options
    Idk if that skin is wonderful or if they've really stopped trying.

• Options
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    blizzard wrote:
    Ground targeted abilities (Reaper’s Shadowstep, Mei’s Icewall, Synnetra’s Teleporter, etc) will now more heavily prefer edges over placing as far away as possible.

This is huge, but I suspect I'm going to have to retrain myself a bit. This will certainly result in a few bad walls before I get used to it.

But I strongly approve.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Chance wrote: »

100% true. A hard-working tank with a hard-working support attached will carry a game, albeit, usually silently. I think you rarely notice, but the effect is profound because your DPS can happily just run rampant against a disrupted enemy team, with a nice, safe backline they can return to when need be. When you do notice a carry tank it's like they're a different species.

I met a Rein once who hard carried us on Oasis, of all maps. He was aggressive as hell but was awesome at fading back at just the right moment before going all-in with a crazy play that would always turn out perfectly for us. "Are you afraid to fight me???"

this tank talk reminded me of a game i had a few weeks back with the PA crew

we all played well this round but our sixth, a rando Winston, stood out to me enough that i had to compliment his tank play afterward

https://youtu.be/jdvL8Wqu060

looking back over the footage, he really wasn't doing anything flashy and rarely showed on the kill feed, but was just playing so dependably and consistently, jumping in and out like clockwork and knowing where to be at all times, even without any communication between us his winston was so reliable that my zen play could just sync up naturally

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I love that skin. Though that's not what the actual Lego Bastion looks like.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Okay, the brick skin is pretty great. Machine gun sounds more plasticky, and when you shoot it has a lego flame piece effect on the barrel. 10/10

• Options
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I don't see Baptiste. Substandard El Presidente comp!

• Options
    The map: Horizon Lunar Colony.

The round: defense.

The role: tank.

I was playing Orisa with my brother on Torb - which is often pretty solid - but our healers were so all-over-the-place that we got blown off point A no problem. I immediately switch to Winston to address their Sym, Moira, Lucio and Sigma and point B becomes an absolute brick wall for them. It was one of those incredible Winston games when you can clearly tell, just by how the reds shrink back at the sight of you, that you are doing Monkey God's Work.

With about ninety seconds to go before the end of the round, I spy the enemy Widow way back in the botanical area, kinda' near the mega, taking potshots at my team so I fling myself out of the choke into her, ult her and bounce her off the walls to her doom. She immediately quits the game, and I get added to a chat group. Ech.

"Solo ult xD" she writes.

I write back:
    "K 3 things. Well ok 4.
    1. Because you're worth it (with an emoji of Chloe from Uncharted giving a thumbs-up)
    2. I'm just glad my rusty Winston worked out so well.
    3. We lost the round (the Widow's replacement was a Solider who did not miss)
    4. Gg :)"

Widow writes back : "gg XD"

Nice.

• Options
    Guy and I ran Rein/Winston against Sigma/Orisa and it worked surprisingly well.

Kind of made me thing folks might be on to something with the Reaper/Mei nerfs.

Cause that combo is very dive-able and those two serving as bodyguard is usually the biggest threat.

• Options
    Yeah I like Rein Vs. double shield too, just because once he closes distance Orisa and Sig aren't a match for how quickly he can shift from defense to offense, whipping that shield around as fast as you can spin a mouse. I hate just mirroring double shield and trying to shield break it.

Don't try to go through it. Go around.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular

I was playing Orisa with my brother on Torb - which is often pretty solid - but our healers were so all-over-the-place that we got blown off point A no problem. I immediately switch to Winston to address their Sym, Moira, Lucio and Sigma and point B becomes an absolute brick wall for them. It was one of those incredible Winston games when you can clearly tell, just by how the reds shrink back at the sight of you, that you are doing Monkey God's Work.

With about ninety seconds to go before the end of the round, I spy the enemy Widow way back in the botanical area, kinda' near the mega, taking potshots at my team so I fling myself out of the choke into her, ult her and bounce her off the walls to her doom. She immediately quits the game, and I get added to a chat group. Ech.

I write back:
    "K 3 things. Well ok 4.
    1. Because you're worth it (with an emoji of Chloe from Uncharted giving a thumbs-up)

Nice.

Thank you for being sugar in a salt, salt world.

• Options

I write back:
    "K 3 things. Well ok 4.

Nice.

The Widow reaped the good manners she sewed ^.^ it's always Widows who send chill messages post-game.

No idea why o.o

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I write back:
    "K 3 things. Well ok 4.

Nice.

The Widow reaped the good manners she sewed ^.^ it's always Widows who send chill messages post-game.

No idea why o.o

I assume toxic widows get inevitably banned for shit that everybody else gets away with but they can't because of the mountain of anti-widow reports.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »
    I don't really care about that. But honestly once she's brought down folks will just find the next thing to complain about so *shrug*.

If you don’t care that a hero is doing 20% more dmg than intended, then I have no idea why you’re commenting about balance.

Anyway, OWL playoffs continue to be interesting. NYXL v Vancouver tonight is gonna be hype.

I don't care that the she's getting changed. It seems fair enough.

But honestly a lot of the characters(Symmetra aside if I need to make that clear) folks complain about have been the way they are for a while.

It was just people started to realize they were good, and started crying for nerfs, when pro players used them.

Which is silly and reactionary to me.

Well when the popular picks change, someone's heroes that weren't OP against, say, Ball are now very good against multiple static shields. Balance changes with the meta, that's how it works.

Assuming that the meta represents the new reality of the game though and not a passing trend, you still have to adjust for it. That's what caused probably most of the balance changes over the life of the game.

Oh I agree, I'm saying that the argument of "well they weren't OP before" is a weak argument.
    Yeah I like Rein Vs. double shield too, just because once he closes distance Orisa and Sig aren't a match for how quickly he can shift from defense to offense, whipping that shield around as fast as you can spin a mouse. I hate just mirroring double shield and trying to shield break it.

Don't try to go through it. Go around.

Yeah shield breaking is not what you should do in double shield wars. It's all about getting the better position. Sometimes that is done by standing where they are and hitting them with a big heavy thing.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Subbed in for my wife the other night in comp. She usually plays Zarya, and is good at using her. Someone else that queued tank asked if he could take Zarya as it's the only tank he knows, she said fine and went D.Va. They lost point 1 of Oasis and the team asked if someone could go shield tank. She tossed me the controller and told me to run Orisa... stand out of the match was when i threw a shield trying to block enemy D.Va ult, and it actually went past the ult, I fortified and lived and realised that my shield placement actually saved the rest of my team because only I took the hit and they all got spared the damage. I was praised and didn't dispel it by saying I fucked up. Haha.

I haven't seen many Widows in comp since this role queue thing started though, maybe people don't want to be flamed for potentially wasting a dps slot? You'd have to be a pretty confident widow to take up a dps slot in comp imo.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm betting the dedicated Widow players that constantly bomb matches on their unachievable path to pro status have gotten sorted down in ranking a fair ways, seeing as they can't depend on extra DPS or tanks to prop up a mediocre performance anymore. Now a Widow player actually has to be reliably good to be a worthwhile pick, which takes a huge portion of Widow players out of the running.

I think Ashe has soaked up a lot of mediocre Widow players as well. She's a lot more forgiving, has no charge up to worry about, all of her abilities deal damage in some way, her dynamite is (too) useful for dropping damage behind shields, and her ult is a big easy damage-dealing distraction. It's a lot easier to believe you're doing something as Ashe when you're uselessly plinking off a lot more shots against shields with the odd dynamite thrown in, simply because you can pop off a lot more shots and get more hits through sheer volume of fire.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    My last set of games as Mercy I decided to try to pay attention to who would benefit from a damage boost as well as healing. Usually a Bastion who’s in a good position, an Orisa trying to break a shield or flanker I’m near who is about to get to work.

I’m assuming I’ve been boosting the right people because all of a sudden I’m getting a bunch of Shot Caller commendations each game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular

Oh yeah. For a rather lopsided example, last night my otherwise high plat / low diamond QP match had a GM Rein on the enemy team (Horizon, me on attack). We got stopped hard on point B, this guy was everywhere, we just couldn't deal.

It was the only time I've regretted 2-2-2, because I was a healer (Lucio, frantically trying to help our team to out-position the Rein) and I really wanted to switch to Rein and play some Reingame, aka the one true OW.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Do you suppose Brick Bastion will later be available for purchase?

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Do you suppose Brick Bastion will later be available for purchase?

I do not. Win thou must these games of nine, e'er the Brick Bastion should be thine.