Options

Overwatch: Echo Live

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    They need to take 400 health off Sigma's barrier and give it to Winston's.

Winston's my favourite hero, but you're a monster. They lowered it from 1000 to 600 ages ago for a reason (people felt there was no point in shooting it).

Comps have gotten way, way better at busting shields than they were then.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I sort of proposed this earlier as a revision to Torbjorn's turret, but I wonder how the game would be affected if barriers were, rather than being limited in duration or health as independent factors, limited in duration by intrinsic loss of health. Meaning, a barrier, while deployed (even Reinhardt or Sigma's), loses X HP/second. At first glance it makes barriers a lot more "flashy"; they're strongest on the initial deployment and need to be saved for when they will lose the least health to time.

Sadly, I don't think that's an idea I can test in the Workshop...

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Torb's turret does 50% its damage Vs. Enemy HP and 200% Vs shields?

I can dig it.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Rein needs multiple fire strike charges.

It would be hilarious.

Also if you double tap it, it should send out an enhanced fire strike that hits in a cross( but only 100 damage and it would use two charges).

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Just give winstons regular melee a slight knockback

It should also stun

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Give Winston a secondary fire mode that’s single target but 4-10 times as far.
    Same DPS on that single target as his AoE, so it’s not gonna drop anyone so fast that healers couldn’t save them, but give players an option to genuinely pressure through shields.

There are so few attacks that go through shields now any way, and this would not be adding that ability to a character that didn’t have it before. Plus it gives him an option against McCrees plinking from mid range or Reapers charging up the butt.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Give Winston a secondary fire mode that’s single target but 4-10 times as far.
    Same DPS on that single target as his AoE, so it’s not gonna drop anyone so fast that healers couldn’t save them, but give players an option to genuinely pressure through shields.

There are so few attacks that go through shields now any way, and this would not be adding that ability to a character that didn’t have it before. Plus it gives him an option against McCrees plinking from mid range or Reapers charging up the butt.

Let him throw his Tesla cannon to make a Tesla field that increases ammo consumption and reduces healing in its aoe. His punches do 5 more dmg and have a slight knock back.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    change winston's ult so that he drops a bunch of jars of peanut butter that enemies have to stop and eat when they run into them, like hammond's mines

when an enemy eats peanut butter, it gets stuck in their mouth and the player can no longer use voice

• Options
    So many players queueing as tanks and playing them as dps. I’ve had three games in a row when my tanks have refused to play shields and instead go ball/hog, resulting in us getting crushed because we have no space and they’re feeding the whole game.

It’s double shields because it’s stupid strong. Everything else is inferior, plus double shield doesn’t take a ton of coordination (hide behind shields).

It’s close to throwing to not have an Orisa on the field at the very least.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    So many players queueing as tanks and playing them as dps. I’ve had three games in a row when my tanks have refused to play shields and instead go ball/hog, resulting in us getting crushed because we have no space and they’re feeding the whole game.

It’s double shields because it’s stupid strong. Everything else is inferior, plus double shield doesn’t take a ton of coordination (hide behind shields).

People who play like that are going to end up with appropriate tank ratings in Comp and aren't any worse than they would be as 3rd and 4th DPS in QP.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »

People who play like that are going to end up with appropriate tank ratings in Comp and aren't any worse than they would be as 3rd and 4th DPS in QP.

That will be nice....once they get there.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    As a Wrecking Ball main I find the idea that anything other than double shield is throwing super lame and I refuse to play... ball
    hqdefault.jpg

For real though, hard pass. If the other tank isn't going shield, I'll run Orisa, but I ain't here to waste my time constantly playing a character I don't want to play just to chase meta.

O'course I don't play comp, so it's not as important. Although this sort of mindset is the exact reason I won't touch ranked.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    As a Wrecking Ball main I find the idea that anything other than double shield is throwing super lame and I refuse to play... ball
    hqdefault.jpg

For real though, hard pass. If the other tank isn't going shield, I'll run Orisa, but I ain't here to waste my time constantly playing a character I don't want to play just to chase meta.

O'course I don't play comp, so it's not as important. Although this sort of mindset is the exact reason I won't touch ranked.

If you're in QP, then yeah, whatever. Comp is different. You should be trying to win and it's much harder to win without an Orisa.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    hqdefault.jpg

If you're in QP, then yeah, whatever. Comp is different. You should be trying to win and it's much harder to win without an Orisa.

If you are not GM team coordination is much more important.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Unless you're in the top 500, you don't need to follow the meta. Even then, it isn't set in stone.

• Options
    Unless you're in the top 500, you don't need to follow the meta. Even then, it isn't set in stone.

Orisa is objectively stronger in every way than the other main tanks. She's relatively easy to use (place shield, hold down left click, occasionally halt, fortify if you're in danger). It's not a death knell if the main tank picks Rein, but it does lower the chances of victory and requires everyone else to perform better.

It's not about meta, it's about the picks that give you the best chance of winning. With the amount of spam at every choke, without a shield, it's damn near impossible to get through without a teleporter (and that's hit or miss without a shield). Orisa + Sigma simply gets through those situations the best and puts the most pressure on opposing shields at range.

I would bet good money that hog + ball is probably the worst tank combo in the game right now, with the lowest win % at most elos.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    oddly enough at gold and below, rein tank vs orisa is interestin because if the orisa charges into the rein (walk forward shooting) about 75% of the time, the rein won't stop and swing, they'll keep trying to block and die.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    It's not about meta, it's about the picks that give you the best chance of winning

That's what we're saying. At lower levels, whatever heroes are meta may not actually give you a better chance of winning if the players picking them are notably worse at them than others. That includes mechanical ability as well as positioning and ability management.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    oddly enough at gold and below, rein tank vs orisa is interestin because if the orisa charges into the rein (walk forward shooting) about 75% of the time, the rein won't stop and swing, they'll keep trying to block and die.

I do that to Reins all the time >.<

Some good games tonight and some rough, hard fought losses. Placed 2900 on tank >.< so damn close to diamond. Went Ham for practice in QP and lost, but got PotG. Went Ham again on Eich attack and we did poorly - I did terribly - and when the lady said "sixty seconds..." when we hadn't even gotten the payload to the bridge, I swapped to Orisa and we took it in one long sustained push. PotG again ^.^

3 PotGs on Tracer, and after a loss on Oasis the enemy Sigma messages me. Says a friend wants to 1v1 me on Tracer and I'm like "tell your friend I'm a crappy Tracer, but gg." They tell me gg, that I'm good at Tracer and that my team was terrible lol.

Been a long time since I got an unsolicited message that ended up including gg ^.^

• Options
    Hey dps, you can’t beat double shield plus sym with fucking torb and McCree. You’ll never break shields and ours will disappear.

Goddammit, it’s just throwing at the start screen:

• Options
    And one of my teammates pushes up too far and gets picked despite call outs......five times in a row.

What can you even fucking do? ffs people, get out of comp

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    It's not about meta, it's about the picks that give you the best chance of winning

That's what we're saying. At lower levels, whatever heroes are meta may not actually give you a better chance of winning if the players picking them are notably worse at them than others. That includes mechanical ability as well as positioning and ability management.

This is where I find an absolutely stunning lack of player skill, up to and including players trying to shift blame by saying their team should've told them to switch off a character that isn't working. From a total rookie player? Fine, there's a learning curve to just knowing what the characters all do. From players with levels in the multi-hundreds? If you can't figure out on your own that your Genji is getting uselessly trashed by Winston and Sym, you just suck at games. Not suck at Overwatch specifically, but games in general. Because there's just no good excuse for not being able to see for yourself that your endless suicidal deaths are helping nothing.

Being able to recognize when you're countered and knowing good counterpicks is like half the game, at a minimum. Makes me wish "makes good counterpicks" was one of the feedback options, way more than "shot caller" or "good teammate".

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Orisa is objectively stronger in every way than the other main tanks.

She's not the most winning tank on any platform this season. Sigma has a better win rate than she does and Zarya is right around there depending on platform.

(Unrelated but her win rate varies a bunch as you go through skill levels. A weird interaction of how skill varies between Orisa skill against Orisa-counter skills at ranks?)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Yeah I’m going to add to the counter points against “Orisa or GtFO” concept. The best games I’ve had trying to tank (17-1800) are when the other tank and I take who we are happy and comfortable with.

Had a Route 66 defense the other day where I went Zarya and he went hog. One of our defense started pitching an unholy birch fest about how we needed two shields or we were going to lose and he was wasting his time and yards yadda yadda. A few minutes later when we heard stopped them and they never got all the way around the first corner he stopped complaining.

It’s not about meta, it’s not about doing it YOUR way, it’s about doing it the way that works best for everyone on the team. Not to say players can’t sometimes reassess the situation and maybe they should change but the ONLY hard and fast rule is that you now have to go 2-2-2.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

Orisa is objectively stronger in every way than the other main tanks. She's relatively easy to use (place shield, hold down left click, occasionally halt, fortify if you're in danger). It's not a death knell if the main tank picks Rein, but it does lower the chances of victory and requires everyone else to perform better.

It's not about meta, it's about the picks that give you the best chance of winning. With the amount of spam at every choke, without a shield, it's damn near impossible to get through without a teleporter (and that's hit or miss without a shield). Orisa + Sigma simply gets through those situations the best and puts the most pressure on opposing shields at range.

I would bet good money that hog + ball is probably the worst tank combo in the game right now, with the lowest win % at most elos.

None of this matters if the team doesn't stack on Orisa and gets picked and then Orisa gets 6v1ed. Or even 6v3. And if the team does stack it doesn't matter if Hog and Ball is the front line as they roll through a more disorganized team. Games on the ladder are decided by which team best functions as an actual team. Are you focusing targets down, down are you not feeding, etc.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    HamHamJ wrote: »

None of this matters if the team doesn't stack on Orisa and gets picked and then Orisa gets 6v1ed. Or even 6v3. And if the team does stack it doesn't matter if Hog and Ball is the front line as they roll through a more disorganized team. Games on the ladder are decided by which team best functions as an actual team. Are you focusing targets down, down are you not feeding, etc.

I've definitely had Orisa games where I just couldn't help my team and get zero heals, but I find a lot of success with her comes from playing her way, way more dynamically than I tend to see - which doesn't address your team's inability to work with you, but facilitates your ability to assist them. Edit: Orisa should be as mobile as a Rein thumping towards your team, opening up all that space behind them for theirs. End edit. Most Orisas I see will pick a spot, set up their shield and now this is their spot, don't come towards this shield or you'll get shot at. Also heal me.
    She's relatively easy to use (place shield, hold down left click, occasionally halt, fortify if you're in danger).

Yes - just like that.

My shield is handy, but it's for dancing around Reapers and protecting my team - not so much for me. I am constantly moving around on her, keeping an eye on where the reds are going and if any flanks are coming my way, making extreme changes in shield position to address moment-to-moment shifts in the fight, launching the barrier 20 yards away to cover this fleeing DPS, yanking snipers off high ground with Halt.

Also I hate, hate, hate fighting another Orisa on Orisa. The Shield War. Hate it. I'll switch to Monkey, which will force them to switch to Rein or Hog, at which point I switch back to Orisa :P

Chance on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    If you love playing someone then play them (unless it's Bastion), but I've found that since I'm bad, the raw numerical advantage of broken heroes matters even more because I'm too bad to outplay them. But I also deliberately try to play all the heroes so I'm more comfortable on flexing than most

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I wish I could be more flexy, but there are a list of heroes I really shouldn't touch if I'm not just screwing around for practice. I've had awesome moments on all of them, but those moments are outliers at best.
    TANK:
    • Roadhog
    • Ham-Ham
    • I tried a little D.Va last night and like, almost-instantly switched back to the horse. I'm blaming this on her nerfs.

DPS:
    • Ashe
    • Hanzo
    • Widow
    I can do bread-and-butter body shot damage with the occasional headshot or two, but I'm no flick aim trickshotter.

SUPP:
    • Bap
    • Lucio
    • Brig
    Idk why I'm (generally) pretty bad about getting value on Bap when I'm actually fairly confident in my Ana. I hate his ult - it's way too easy to screw up, IMO - and while he's boss at keeping a deathball up, he's total crap at keeping a single high-HP target alive under focus fire unless you burn the lamp. Or another way to put it - he's precisely as good at it as Mercy is (not very), but he's got a way bigger hitbox and frankly shitty survivability outside of lamp's cooldown.

...though I do think lamp is better and easier value than rez... hm.... maybe I should practice him more...

One thing that always surprises me on Bap - I never see folks holding down both his triggers. It's free value when your tanks are in front of you and the reds are past them! Hold down both buttons! It's just free damage!

Chance on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It's the eternal problem of "the meta" in pub games - most players don't actually understand WHY the meta is what it is. They lack the coordination to execute the tactics that the pros are using. So they're just running a cheap imitation of the meta, when actually pretty much anything works in pub games as long as you execute well and coordinate effectively.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    It's the eternal problem of "the meta" in pub games - most players don't actually understand WHY the meta is what it is. They lack the coordination to execute the tactics that the pros are using. So they're just running a cheap imitation of the meta, when actually pretty much anything works in pub games as long as you execute well and coordinate effectively.

Just double-pocket your Reaper or Sym = profit.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

They pick the right heroes and that's where they stop. The meta at high levels is far more than just that. It comes down to tactics and strategy too. Everybody is talking about shield break down in plat when the pros don't even worry about it. They play around the shields because it is so much less costly to reposition than it is to sit and try to break shields that are all but unbreakable. Despite this meta looking like Bunkertown on the surface, it's surprisingly active out of necessity. About the only time anyone sits still is when they're running Bastion but that gets broken up in a matter of seconds unless they have IF or Amp Matrix.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Does that make it imetation?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I had a pretty great Orisa game the other day on Havana that must have been absolutely infuriating for the other team. I don't remember the full comp, but we had a Hog and Mei and the three of us pretty much stuck together the entire time. I'm a fairly aggressive Orisa, so I'm constantly pushing up, halting over barriers, etc. My Hog was doing a great job of hooking folks in, where they would promptly get frozen and I would unload in their face. And they played my barrier really well, so when the enemy would try and pressure us, Mei would just freeze from behind barrier, I'd headshot them into oblivion, rinse and repeat.

It was an absolute massacre and I wouldn't have blamed the enemy team if they never played again.

• Options
    Orisa headshots into a frozen target are massive.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So many games now are steamrolls one way or another.

One game started out okay.... but as it became more and more obvious that we were completely outmatched, the voip channel got more and more toxic. By the end of the match people were yelling over each other.

Next game, nobody says a word. Complete silence. And yet, we proceed to curbstomp the enemy team. We all knew what our jobs were and we just did it.

The moral of the story is: Sure, sometimes you get bad teams, sometimes you get throwers, sometimes you get people that are just wildly incompetent. But occasionally, you just lose, because you were supposed to lose, and there's not much to be done about it except try to learn from your failures and keep going.

Getting all salty in voip isn't going to help anything.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Orisa headshots into a frozen target are massive.

Yeah the enemy was just vaporizing in front of us. Nobody was actually in comms (despite being a comp game) and I don't think I've ever had such a coordinated frontline experience with nobody actually talking before.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Obviously coordination matters. That’s super random and varies team to team (and even moment to moment). The optimal strategy in an uncertain environment is to pick the objectively strongest character for the widest variety of scenarios. That’s Orisa as MT.

Note: the big exception is if your team is playing dive. This is the scenario in which Orisa is not the strongest so pick to synergize.

She puts down more shielding than any other tank main tank (rein and Winston as the others). She puts down the most shield pressure. She is the most durable at close range (fortify). She has the most utility (halt). Her ult is surprisingly strong.

Sure, you can win against disorganized teams as basically anything. Thing is, you would have won that anyway. There are games when your team is so bad that composition doesn’t matter. You would have lost them anyway.

The question is how to get the wins against similarly matched teams, the close games. Essentially, how to raise your win rate as much as possible. That’s where composition really does matter a great deal because suboptimal picks against optimal picks, all else equal, will lose.

Example: I had a match last night when the teams split two close opening rounds of Busan. We were double shield with torb and McCree. They started double shield (won), went dive (lost), then went back to double shield plus sym and reaper for last.

Once I saw double shield, I asked for shield break, referencing the first round (my dps said they couldn’t play dive heroes). They refused. We lost the shield war horribly and the dps complained about no space.

Well yeah, no space. Sym and reaper are doubling or tripling your shield break while turrets are protecting the flanks. Dive wasn’t an option. Picking objectively weaker heroes for the task at hand lost an otherwise winnable scenario.

This isn’t about meta/non-meta. I’m talking about the right tool for the job. If my main tanks go Winston/dva into Orisa/sigma, I’m picking a dive dps to help out and not torb. If my dps goes bastion, I’m picking Baptiste or mercy to keep them up.

Right now, Orisa is the right tool for any tanking job other than dive. As mentioned by others, she can be played passively or aggressively and synergies well with every offtank other than Zarya.

sanstodo on
  • Options

She's not the most winning tank on any platform this season. Sigma has a better win rate than she does and Zarya is right around there depending on platform.

(Unrelated but her win rate varies a bunch as you go through skill levels. A weird interaction of how skill varies between Orisa skill against Orisa-counter skills at ranks?)

https://www.overbuff.com/heroes

I see Orisa as the highest win rate main tank in every rank this month (most recent stats on the patch being most relevant, with the gains generally increasing as the ranks go up (49.93 % in bronze steadily increasing to 57.35% in GM). Lol at bronze cuz MT there is a shitshow, you’re prob better off just playing an offtank to climb.

She also had a crazy high pick rate, so the win rate is even more impressive (mirrors will even out to 50%, so this generally means she is handily beating teams with another MT at high volumes).

Sym is another hero with a high win rate although her pick rate is lower than it prob should be. I mean, her win rate never drops below 53% and is usually around 56-57%. Thats’s actually kinda insane, considering she’s not nearly as situational as before.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I see Orisa as the highest win rate main tank in every rank this month (most recent stats on the patch being most relevant, with the gains generally increasing as the ranks go up (49.93 % in bronze steadily increasing to 57.35% in GM). Lol at bronze cuz MT there is a shitshow, you’re prob better off just playing an offtank to climb.

She also had a crazy high pick rate, so the win rate is even more impressive (mirrors will even out to 50%, so this generally means she is handily beating teams with another MT at high volumes).

Sym is another hero with a high win rate although her pick rate is lower than it prob should be. I mean, her win rate never drops below 53% and is usually around 56-57%. Thats’s actually kinda insane, considering she’s not nearly as situational as before.

Yea, that's where I pulled my data from too. I also, apparently unusually, know when the season started.

That delta implies an interesting fact though. Orisa was dominate in the initial role queue meta but has been losing popularity and win rate as it progresses and people adjust.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Yea, that's where I pulled my data from too. I also, apparently unusually, know when the season started.

That delta implies an interesting fact though. Orisa was dominate in the initial role queue meta but has been losing popularity and win rate as it progresses and people adjust.

Uh, even if you shorten the time to this week, she is still the highest win rate MT, with a general upward progression to a peak of 56.93% at GM.

Sym remains nutty at 57%.