As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overwatch: Echo Live

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I guess I'm an outlier as a tank main but all these ideas about making 3-2-1 work sound abysmal. I can't imagine the game would continue to hold my attention.

Admittedly the entire point is to make the game better for DPS mains with shorter queues. But as a tank main, what don't you like about 3-2-1 as Jeff proposed it? i.e. just one tank slot and it's always a main tank. I'd think people who are big into tanking would enjoy it because it means they are the anchor of their team and get the most healing attention.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Zarya's bubbles would like a word with you if you think it's a crippling problem for a tank to power up by effectively shielding.

now that's an interesting idea! What if other tanks got a different benefit from using shields. Yes, it blocks damage but also it does something for the Tank, maybe passive regen, or slight damage increase. I don't want to duplicate Zarya but maybe make people be more thoughtful about aiming. Maybe punish that bastion that just destroys shields by making the tank able to one shot him! (i kid!)

anyhow, there are a ton of things they "could" try.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Zek wrote: »
    I guess I'm an outlier as a tank main but all these ideas about making 3-2-1 work sound abysmal. I can't imagine the game would continue to hold my attention.

Admittedly the entire point is to make the game better for DPS mains with shorter queues. But as a tank main, what don't you like about 3-2-1 as Jeff proposed it? i.e. just one tank slot and it's always a main tank. I'd think people who are big into tanking would enjoy it because it means they are the anchor of their team and get the most healing attention.

Essentially being a built-in scapegoat for a loss on a team where no one else has chosen a character who can can contest a point sounds like a real bad time.

And it leads to questions about WB, Winston, and Hog. Do you essentially nerf them into more standard DPS characters (this is awful)?

Do you just move them to DPS without any alterations (potentially terrible to run up against because a character like WB can potentially main tank, giving that team two mains)?

Edit: Honestly what if the game went to 7 player teams with 3 DPS?

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I come from a Team Fortress 2 background which is a 12v12 game and I think a lot of the social problems with this game comes down to the small team sizes. It is incredibly late in the game's lifecycle to be talking about this though... it certainly isn't going to happen. But I always wished they'd release a 12v12 mode with giant maps.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    leaks are out for the lunar new year costumes if you want to see them, link in spoiler

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    leaks are out for the lunar new year costumes if you want to see them, link in spoiler

oooh, that's a weak selection this time

Moira's is the only one that stands out, Lucio looks so much like McCree I wonder if you could skin them both in new year and mess with the other team.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Oh no I mostly play Reinhardt and all I can think is how with another opposing DPS and no off tank to peel for me I'll get stunlocked even more.

• Options

Essentially being a built-in scapegoat for a loss on a team where no one else has chosen a character who can can contest a point sounds like a real bad time.

And it leads to questions about WB, Winston, and Hog. Do you essentially nerf them into more standard DPS characters (this is awful)?

Do you just move them to DPS without any alterations (potentially terrible to run up against because a character like WB can potentially main tank, giving that team two mains)?

Edit: Honestly what if the game went to 7 player teams with 3 DPS?

WB, Winston and Dva can be main tanks (for dive obviously) with some tweaks. Roadhog and Zarya probably become DPS, but that doesn't mean nerfs, just redesigns. Maybe all of the tanks will need buffs to feel tankier so they can do it alone. You're right the social aspect of people nagging you about your pick would suck, but you should always mute or report those people the instant they open their mouths.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    year of the rat

no junkrat skin
    31onocoqpdwi.png

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Canis_AnubisCanis_Anubis Registered User regular
    I see the 3/2/1 change as being unequivocally good. It means they can buff tanks so they're less of a giant pinata, and also fix some of the supply-side issues of DPS roles. I don't have a problem with some reworks that make Roadhog, D.va, or Ball into solo tanks. In fact, 3/2/1 has the potential to restore D.va to her original ability set, since without a second tank to trade off damage negation duty with, the high armor and matrix isn't so completely oppressive.

Also, something the nay-sayers might consider: Your DPS now have to perform to give your supports an edge. As it is now, DPS are basically relegated to spamming damage to charge their ultimates, because the neutral game is so sluggish, and healing/tanking is so strong. With only one tank, the ability to get entry picks with strong play becomes a factor again.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I mean weakening shields and increasing ult charge time has had that effect already.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    That said I'm not completely opposed to 1-3-2.

Just know that if they go forward with it there will need to be a lot of work done.

And Blizzard is already slow with the updates.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I see the 3/2/1 change as being unequivocally good. It means they can buff tanks so they're less of a giant pinata, and also fix some of the supply-side issues of DPS roles. I don't have a problem with some reworks that make Roadhog, D.va, or Ball into solo tanks. In fact, 3/2/1 has the potential to restore D.va to her original ability set, since without a second tank to trade off damage negation duty with, the high armor and matrix isn't so completely oppressive.

Also, something the nay-sayers might consider: Your DPS now have to perform to give your supports an edge. As it is now, DPS are basically relegated to spamming damage to charge their ultimates, because the neutral game is so sluggish, and healing/tanking is so strong. With only one tank, the ability to get entry picks with strong play becomes a factor again.

I mean, it would scare tanks away from the game, and buffing them so that they could run solo would render MH and QP Classic unplayable. Reinhardt, who is already a feast or famine character, would be chosen only by utter madmen.

I still think upping the game to 7v7 with 3 DPS is a much more reasonable option, even though of course that would come with its own problems.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    year of the rat

no junkrat skin
    31onocoqpdwi.png

I fully expected there would be one and I'm kind of shocked there isn't. Reaper got a better year of the rat skin in the winter event...Reaper!

soylenth on
  • Options

I mean, it would scare tanks away from the game, and buffing them so that they could run solo would render MH and QP Classic unplayable. Reinhardt, who is already a feast or famine character, would be chosen only by utter madmen.

I still think upping the game to 7v7 with 3 DPS is a much more reasonable option, even though of course that would come with its own problems.

I actually agree with this, 1 of tank or healer seems too little, but something has to be done considering how fun and over-represented the dps roster is, and providing more spots for dps proportionally has generally been the answer in games with the trinity. I will accept 1-3-2, or at least I would try it, but if technical hurdles could be overcome, I'd be more interested in 2-3-2.

• Options
    Role queue has only been in the game since August - before that, a game with 3-2-1 would have been seen as a perfectly respectable comp. There was no community consensus at the time that 2-2-2 or 3-3 were the only good comps.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas

We thought of it first!

As a quick pass, engine-level way to make solo Tanks viable, here's what I'd do:

- For any Tank with Armor, shift 100 normal health to Armor.
    - Pushes, pulls, stuns, boops, yoinks, freezes, sleeps, and any other disruption to full control of your character no longer affect any character with Armor. By this I mean if the character currently has Armor health, CC doesn't work on them.
    - Roadhog's chain now has a 6-second cooldown and centers enemies directly in front of his muzzle, the way it used to.
    - Zarya loses 100 shields and is now a Damage character.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    What's awful is the obvious answer is 2-3-2, or even 2-4-2 to help with cue times, and the whole game's been built and optimized around 6v6.

Maybe in Overwatch 2?

Nah. That's just Patch 1.50.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    This is why announcements are better than leaks.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas

We thought of it first!

As a quick pass, engine-level way to make solo Tanks viable, here's what I'd do:

- For any Tank with Armor, shift 100 normal health to Armor.
    - Pushes, pulls, stuns, boops, yoinks, freezes, sleeps, and any other disruption to full control of your character no longer affect any character with Armor. By this I mean if the character currently has Armor health, CC doesn't work on them.
    - Roadhog's chain now has a 6-second cooldown and centers enemies directly in front of his muzzle, the way it used to.
    - Zarya loses 100 shields and is now a Damage character.

Also making what is in other cases a major CD skill (fortify) a passive for any armored tank is way OP with no further changes to any tankiness.

Zarya at 300HP with those 2 bubbles remains a hero designed around powerful defensive abilities, and teams would be pressured to play Main Tank in the tank slot, with Zarya always taking a DPS slot just for how much more tanky their comp would become - just as Reaper and Mei stepped up after Goats. And she's still got grav.

It's a sticky wicket, I'll give you that.

• Options
    Canis_AnubisCanis_Anubis Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    What's awful is the obvious answer is 2-3-2, or even 2-4-2 to help with cue times, and the whole game's been built and optimized around 6v6.

Maybe in Overwatch 2?

Nah. That's just Patch 1.50.

Disagree on raising the player count. Those come with even worse problems, making network performance and matchmaking that much more difficult. 6v6 is already approaching the top-end of what a good quality dedicated server can handle at low latency, raising the player count must come at the cost of added input lag, sloppier hit detection, and just generally turning the game into Battlefield.

The problems facing a solo tank in Overwatch are either fixable or imaginary, as it's entirely possible to play and have fun even in a 6 stack of DPS players. I know because I've had plenty of fun in some pretty junky rando quick play matches where nobody was making an optimized comp. It's only when the reductive force of the SR climb asserts itself when people are compelled to resort to the zestiest cheese available in the game, which ultimately led us to the dumpster-fire of the G.O.A.T.S. comp. 3/2/1 would let the devs make tanks truly impressive, without having to worry about teams stacking 3 or more and turning every bout into a pillowfight adjudicated by ult management.

• Options
    Anyway, nothing is going to change for a while, so for now we're just stuck with the DPS queue. In the meantime I really do recommend custom games while queueing. I think they've gotten more popular since that feature was added, you can search for any of the major modes and always find games open. Here are some popular ones I can recommend:
    • Aim Arena: Just a big box arena with instant respawns, precision heroes only. Good for low stakes aim practice. (press F to change hero)
    • Infection: Deathmatch where anyone you kill becomes your hero and joins your team. Objective is to turn everyone else into your hero.
    • Genji Dodgeball: FFA Genjis where a "ball" bounces around the stage, homing in on a Genji who has to deflect it towards another Genji to survive. Picture the LttP Ganon fight.
    • Car Dodge: Basically Frogger. Make it from one end of the highway to the other with every hero in turn.
    • Parkour: Platforming gauntlet with various characters.
    • Mercy Boxing: 6v6 elim, Mercy melee only, with fast ults and unlimited rezzing. Works better than you'd think.
    • Sigma Dodgeball: Two teams of Sigmas throw rocks at eachother from across the center line. Team elimination.
    • 12 Hogs One Hole: Bunch of Roadhogs around the Oasis well with only hooks. Dumb as hell. If you land a kill then you get your ult which can propel you back out of the hole one time.
    • Reinkart: Reinhardt deathmatch, charge only, everything is super speed. Fucking dumb.

• Options
    beavisofsmokebeavisofsmoke Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just can't get behind the idea of one tank per team. I mean, I'm biased as a tank main, but 3-2-1 has nothing but downsides for the tanks. It requires changes to basically every tank, could limit options if some tanks get moved to dps, and places the burden of making space on one player. I don't see the incentive for playing tank in such a scenario. I could just pick dps and play mei if I want to make space.
    Then there's the tank synergies we would lose. Like, moving Zarya to dps does not ensure the Rein/Zaraya combo survives, imo. Zarya would be changed to compete with the dps while Rein would be changed so he could solo tank effectively, reducing his need to rely on an off-tank. They'd be moving in opposite directions: Zarya to a damage role, Rein to a solo tank role. I would also predict issues with dive comps, since the 3 dps players will be either choosing from the 5 flankers or picking something else (like sniper) while only 1 of the 3 dive tanks would be in play. It would change dive from the comp we all know and pretended to play for like five seasons into something else entirely.
    In the end, 3-2-1 simply does not offer tanks anything. Tanks have the shortest queue time right now, not the longest. Why would tanks want something that changes their playstyle so drastically while only offering benefits to another role? Quite frankly, before 2-2-2, I never really liked playing tank into 3-2-1: it always seemed like the only reason we had that comp was not that it was most optimal or the most fun, but that we ended up with three dps simply because three people wanted to play dps, and nothing else.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

I can't see it not being an even more enormous balancing nightmare than what we currently have.

The only glimmer of hope I see is that having off-tanks be in the DPS category would give us something fairly similar to what we have right now but with a built in flex mechanic. So you could still run some version of Rein/Zarya but if you wanted to swap to a 3rd true DPS, you could. The downside there is that if the "off-tanks" don't get balanced down enough then we just end up with triple and quad tank lineups again and we're back to the same problems as before. If they are undertuned then even more of the cast becomes non-viable.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I extremely doubt that 1-3-2 would actually work. And I mean not work mathematically, because limiting it down to one tank is definitely going to lower the tank population even further, triply if they remove the off-tanks, while increasing the DPS population. The queue times already suggest that DPS outnumber tanks and support massively. Even if they halve the queue time for DPS, it would still be Long, and almost certainly waiting on tanks.

I also expect it would be absolutely miserable for the tank for... all the reasons. It's also a hard pill to swallow to have the official position be that the smallest and most important (in the in-game sense) subset of players are the ones who are being told they have to radically change and shit's going to be getting a lot worse for them. Maybe there are ways to mitigate that without them becoming a giant shining beacon for all the toxic shit imaginable, but I'm not sure I can think of any.

Relatedly, something I kind they'd done (and could still do), is switch their stance on one-tricking. Not just no longer shrug and go "X mains are playing the way they want, deal with it", make switching outright mandatory. You won the first round? Every character your team used is now locked out for the rest of the match. You took point A? Okay, next time you die, you're switching characters and you won't be using whoever you used before. You want to see people using the whole cast like you envisioned? Fucking make them. Would address a bunch of issues about stale meta stuff too.

I also wouldn't mind at all if you couldn't select a role for competitive, full stop. Unless you're in OWL, you play what you're given. It's a fucking team game. Learn how to play more than one role, jackass. That would solve the queue time issues right quick, not to mention very readily weed out a lot of assholes and trolls from comp... after at least a short period of them being mass reported for tantrums and throwing.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Those two suggestions would literally kill the game.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, I just can't get behind the idea of one tank per team. I mean, I'm biased as a tank main, but 3-2-1 has nothing but downsides for the tanks. It requires changes to basically every tank, could limit options if some tanks get moved to dps, and places the burden of making space on one player. I don't see the incentive for playing tank in such a scenario. I could just pick dps and play mei if I want to make space.
    Then there's the tank synergies we would lose. Like, moving Zarya to dps does not ensure the Rein/Zaraya combo survives, imo. Zarya would be changed to compete with the dps while Rein would be changed so he could solo tank effectively, reducing his need to rely on an off-tank. They'd be moving in opposite directions: Zarya to a damage role, Rein to a solo tank role. I would also predict issues with dive comps, since the 3 dps players will be either choosing from the 5 flankers or picking something else (like sniper) while only 1 of the 3 dive tanks would be in play. It would change dive from the comp we all know and pretended to play for like five seasons into something else entirely.
    In the end, 3-2-1 simply does not offer tanks anything. Tanks have the shortest queue time right now, not the longest. Why would tanks want something that changes their playstyle so drastically while only offering benefits to another role? Quite frankly, before 2-2-2, I never really liked playing tank into 3-2-1: it always seemed like the only reason we had that comp was not that it was most optimal or the most fun, but that we ended up with three dps simply because three people wanted to play dps, and nothing else.

lol...wait I forgot they were talking about moving like half the tanks to DPS.

Yeah...that is a pretty great idea. Take the role that already has the fewest number of options(and hell 2 of those options are pretty much unplayable at this point), give that role even fewer options...and take those options and move them into the group with the most options.

Yeah...not gonna lie as a tank main that already feels like the DPS category gets coddled as is...yeah I don't really get anything from this arrangement and it would definitely make me play way less tank if I still played at all.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I really want to see them try adding another dps slot, at least on the ptr or as an arcade mode or something

3-2-1 feels like punishing tanks to escape dps queue time complaints

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Just keep 222 and dump the extra dps players into 6 v 6 dps only games.

Instant queues!

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i would 100% take this
    especially if htere was a way to only play the 6dps games

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    or go 4v4 where the composition is 1-2-1

you've double the dps numbers.

• Options
    I think if they made TDM DPS only heroes it would really help things.

It's a mode that has so much potential but 4-stack scumbags will run riot with cheap ass Moira/Hog/Bridget/Reaper or Mei and like Mystery Heroes you just nope out of the mode completely. Making it all DPS would really let people get their bloodlust taken care of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joSS3W3rYWY

• Options
    Maybe they could merge some or all arcade modes into QP as optional modes that you can additionally queue for. So for example when I DPS queue I can choose to be matched for any of regular QP, 3-2-1 QP, or TDM - whichever comes first.

• Options
    Page is up: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/events/lunar-new-year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLnET-0CI4M
    CAPTURE THE FLAG BLITZ
    The stakes have been raised in this new way to play Capture the Flag. With both teams’ flags much closer together, six captures are now needed to win the match instead of the traditional three. Launch an all-out offensive against the enemy to snatch their flag as many times as possible—may fortune favor your team!

PTR patch is live as well: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/patch-notes/pc

• Options
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Take my tokens and get out of here

• Options
    It's a very nice skin, but I feel like that should be free to the players as a thank you for putting up with goats.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It's a very nice skin, but I feel like that should be free to the players as a thank you for putting up with goats.

It's actually a stealth announcement that the new team comp is 3-3. DPS players can only play deathmatch amongst themselves.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Brigoatte! I stan.

soylenth on
  • Options
    If you want to play DPS jump on it right now, queue times under 5 minutes.

Quick patch thoughts:

-Baptiste is a still a basic bitch but he can now be punished because he's not saving his team so consistently, and the ult build nerf really makes a difference so you can't just drop the matrix and finish off stalled fights. Immortality field is a set-up ability now, not a saving grace.
    -Mei's nerfs did nothing, she still needs to lose something, probably just her icicle damage amount or let us break her out of stasis
    -DvA's boost is way too good, she is Sanic fast but still a nice easy target to shoot at when she flees, but all that needs to change is she needs to lose the jet bump damage (keep the boop factor though)
    -Doomfist's live patch is only 0.35s delay on uppercut instead of 0.5s, which isn't enough to really change him, at least make him have a delay on his ult launch and don't make him invulnerable when it happens. I still think straight up removing shield gain on slam or uppercut will stop him from being effective without actual teamwork while still being strong for people who know how to pick at an enemy's weaknesses
    -Can't tell a difference with Hamzo