As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[#MeToo] Comes To Gaming

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    It absolutely matters

Like, as of right now he could gotten banned for anything from sacrificing a cat to Baal to... I don't know, saying negative things about a Rockstar game and their PR department called up twitch to cry.

So, yeah, reason absolutely matters.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Quick, somebody defend Nick Robinson, let's see if we can't get him kicked off of YouTube.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    And Method was just disbanded since everybody left. Is over.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    And Method was just disbanded since everybody left. Is over.

Its going to be like blackwater, they'll just reform same group without the shit rep.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Just a heads up about social media you might see right now. It appears there is some brigading going on from the usual cesspits. This is from the Dota 2 community specifically, but I expect it's not isolated.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Former writer for Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider

Women. So emotional they can be emotional at meetings they did not even attend

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    Just a heads up about social media you might see right now. It appears there is some brigading going on from the usual cesspits. This is from the Dota 2 community specifically, but I expect it's not isolated.
    FYI:

/r/dota2 is being brigaded by people who are not from the DOTA 2 community and have flooded in from hate subs including /r/thedonald, KIA (aka the Gamergate forum) and MGTOW - where men go their own way by constantly hanging around women and being annoying.

Not surprised. They've latched onto the fact some of the specifics of the sexual assualt allegations against Tobi are known to a few people but they are respecting the privacy of the women who made them by not disclosing the details & evidence publicly without their consent. So the standard disingenuous bullshit you can expect from people who don't want consent to exist for women.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Well that was an evening.

I can't help but feel Twitch feels empowered to deal with Dr Disrespect with Mixers death. With Mixer, their only real serious looking competition at the time, dead they can now clean house without any fear. He honestly shouldn't have ever have survived being not permanently banned over the bathroom incident.

Also I don't know if I'm just misremembering, but I'm pretty sure I remember allegations against Tobi going back a while ago. Or was that another famous DotA game caster?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Tobiwan has been saying racist and homophobic slurs on streams for years, but nothing's ever come of it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Aegeri wrote: »

I can't help but feel Twitch feels empowered to deal with Dr Disrespect with Mixers death. With Mixer, their only real serious looking competition at the time, dead they can now clean house without any fear. He honestly shouldn't have ever have survived being not permanently banned over the bathroom incident.

Also I don't know if I'm just misremembering, but I'm pretty sure I remember allegations against Tobi going back a while ago. Or was that another famous DotA game caster?

Twitch has some 61%, Mixer was nothing, 2% of the market and stagnant. Oddly enough the next biggest platform is youtube gaming somehow with 30ish percent then facebook gaming, although that bastion of terrible has somehow managed to double its numbers for the past few years.

Nosf on
  • Options

In march they did a new multi million dollar deal with him. Outside of something really bad there is zero reason to jettison a guy who only made them millions of dollars.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

In march they did a new multi million dollar deal with him. Outside of something really bad there is zero reason to jettison a guy who only made them millions of dollars.

Pretty much. I really wonder what it was. It should come out soon, unless it’s gone straight to the legal system.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Or they realize without Mixer threatening to steal him away, he's not worth the liability and some past violation let's them out of the contract they were only using to avoid him going to Mixer.

Unless someone announces something, we wont know. Though if Beahms not responding, he's probably been advised by lawyers or managers to stay the fuck quiet. Which is rather out of character.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

Twitch has some 61%, Mixer was nothing, 2% of the market and stagnant. Oddly enough the next biggest platform is youtube gaming somehow with 30ish percent then facebook gaming, although that bastion of terrible has somehow managed to double its numbers for the past few years.

Considering how Facebook has a proven record of comically inflating their engagement numbers, I am extremely skeptical that Facebook Gaming is pulling in the numbers they claim it is.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Tobiwan has been saying racist and homophobic slurs on streams for years, but nothing's ever come of it.

Valve has a history of letting things like that go. They even allowed 2GD to host a Dota Major in China which went as well as one could expect when you hire a guy who's known for his narcissistic misogynistic edge lord persona. It bit them in the ass early in the Major, a tournament beset with technical issues, and they had to fire him.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    As someone who has been on Facebook since 2003, what the hell is Facebook gaming?

Is that like all the FarmVille and Candy Crush garbage?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    As someone who has been on Facebook since 2003, what the hell is Facebook gaming?

Is that like all the FarmVille and Candy Crush garbage?

It's their streaming platform trying to compete with Twitch.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I’ve literally never heard of it. Interesting.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    danx wrote: »
    FYI:

/r/dota2 is being brigaded by people who are not from the DOTA 2 community and have flooded in from hate subs including /r/thedonald, KIA (aka the Gamergate forum) and MGTOW - where men go their own way by constantly hanging around women and being annoying.

Not surprised. They've latched onto the fact some of the specifics of the sexual assualt allegations against Tobi are known to a few people but they are respecting the privacy of the women who made them by not disclosing the details & evidence publicly without their consent. So the standard disingenuous bullshit you can expect from people who don't want consent to exist for women.

The thing I'm seeing a lot more of is actually about the accusations against Zyori, which is much more of an ambiguously consensual power dynamics thing. It's easy to get upvoted doubting that, not quite as much with Tobi since other casters seem to believe Tobi is a shithead.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I just realized my previous post seems to be dismissive that Beahm has done something recently or done something criminal that came to light.

I totally expect he might have. I just don't think Twitch gets the benefit of praise for doing the right thing when there's no evidence they did it for the right reasons.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I honestly thought Youtube gaming had been wound down. I didn't know it was still going.

I know what twitch is because I have amazon prime and that gives me twitch who give me free stuff in games.

Word is it wasn't DMCA that got him banned, I mean, that wouldn't result in a perm. He was apparently amplifying some 5g conspiracy bullshit recently, I'm not sure if that's going to do it either.

Nosf on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Circling back around to Tabletop news, FFG put out a statement about Noah Bradley today. I assume this is all of Asmodee's stance, hence the delays in releasing it.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/6/26/a-statement-on-noah-bradley/
    In every product from Fantasy Flight Games, we pride ourselves on bringing tabletop games to life with a vast assortment of best-in-class art, created by outstanding artists working independently from around the world. Tabletop games exist to bring people closer together, and everyone at FFG is dedicated to creating a safe and enjoyable community that’s free from harassment or abusive behavior.

It was recently revealed that an artist we have worked with, Noah Bradley, engaged in inappropriate sexual conduct with members of the tabletop gaming and artist communities. Fantasy Flight Games does not tolerate these actions that are so abhorrent to our values, and as of today, we are cutting all ties with Noah Bradley, including no longer commissioning new artwork and stripping his art from reprints of affected products.

Regrettably, because of the long production timeline between the original commissioning of art and the arrival of that product on the market, some of his artwork will still appear in a limited number of upcoming products.

I must admit, I don't know what art he did for Fantasy Flight Games, and searching is mostly turning up MtG Related stuff.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    He's also got booted from ArtStation.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    I honestly thought Youtube gaming had been wound down. I didn't know it was still going.

I know what twitch is because I have amazon prime and that gives me twitch who give me free stuff in games.

Word is it wasn't DMCA that got him banned, I mean, that wouldn't result in a perm. He was apparently amplifying some 5g conspiracy bullshit recently, I'm not sure if that's going to do it either.

If it was DMCA stuff he'd be out tweeting about the bullshit of it and other content creators would be stomping and spitting. But nothing, I haven't seen anything from any of the shooter guys I follow on twitter who had previously tweeted @ been the @ of tweets featuring Doc. So whatever this is, people are being quiet on it to the point of "how fucking bad can it be?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

Didn't r/the_donald die?

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    cckerberos wrote: »

Didn't r/the_donald die?

No. It just got put in a hole.

Basically it was "quarantined", meaning it doesn't show up in popular trending pages on the site, it's harder to navigate to, and advertisers won't touch that part of the site. But it still exists, can be accessed, and has a festering community like it always has.

The admins did everything the could to avoid doing anything about it.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Didn't r/the_donald die?

Basically it was "quarantined", meaning it doesn't show up in popular trending pages on the site, it's harder to navigate to, and advertisers won't touch that part of the site. But it still exists, can be accessed, and has a festering community like it always has.

This is untrue. T_D functionally doesn't exist on Reddit anymore, as the Reddit admins strategy of "continuously force rules changes on them until they leave so we don't get the backlash of a full ban" worked. T_D now exists as an independent site, but the sub, while not banned, is completely inactive. Aside from a single post made about Trump's EO on social media, the last post on T_D was three months ago.

In the context of the "brigading" tweet, what is likely happening is that the mods are using a combination of masstagger (tags people posting to specific subreddits) with mod tools that show how much a user has posted on the subreddit, when their first post is, and how much karma they have, and noticing a lot of ex T_D accounts that swim in similar waters showing up for their first posts recently.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    milski wrote: »

Didn't r/the_donald die?

This is untrue. It does not exist on Reddit anymore, as the Reddit admins strategy of "continuously force rules changes on them until they leave so we don't get the backlash of a full ban" worked. It now exists as an independent site, but does not exist in any meaningful way on Reddit.

Huh, well. Good to know.

A bit late, but still a good thing that they finally purged it. At least symbolically, if it still exists elsewhere.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

Didn't r/the_donald die?

No, I just double-checked. It's dead.

The newest post is 29 days old and that is the only post that is less than three months old.

The mods claimed the admins were going to take over the sub and set up a different site off of reddit.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    This Dr. Disrespect thing is wild. I've heard everything from statutory rape to him defrauding twitch for a -lot - of money. Whatever it is it was bad enough that twitch wanted him deadass gone so it must be serious

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Is it weird to be bugged by the silence about this when every victim usually has their life combed thru to see if "they were asking for it"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Is it weird to be bugged by the silence about this when every victim usually has their life combed thru to see if "they were asking for it"

Which is why I think whatever happened is in court or with police.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I find it funny that 2 pages after people were defending the guy who filmed in a public restroom, we find out Twitch has banned him permanently for something so heinous nobody will say what it is.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I find it funny that 2 pages after people were defending the guy who filmed in a public restroom, we find out Twitch has banned him permanently for something so heinous nobody will say what it is.

I think it's funny you think anyone was defending him for doing so.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    People were bending over backwards to blame it on the camera operator, saying he didn’t mean to film minors, etc.

Minimizing is defending in my book.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    People were bending over backwards to blame it on the camera operator, saying he didn’t mean to film minors, etc.

They weren't.

They were saying that comparing filming the backs of people in a men's room to the sexual assaults in the MeToo movement (the thing this thread is about) is anywhere from pretty to utterly fucking ridiculous

Because, well, it is.

On a personal note as a victim of sexual assault I also find it pretty fucking offensive!

That doesn't make what Dr.WannabeMaddox did ok, because it's not and he's still a garbage excuse for a human being, but no one was defending that piece of shit.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    With the level of silence I'll take a guess and say that the good Dr has probably already been talked to by a state or federal agency

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

AKA "If you're not with us, you're against us"

E: Really it's not even that. It's more "If you're only 80% with us, you're against us!" Minimizing my ass.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

They weren't.

They were saying that comparing filming the backs of people in a men's room to the sexual assaults in the MeToo movement (the thing this thread is about) is anywhere from pretty to utterly fucking ridiculous

Because, well, it is.

On a personal note as a victim of sexual assault I also find it pretty fucking offensive!

That doesn't make what Dr.WannabeMaddox did ok, because it's not and he's still a garbage excuse for a human being, but no one was defending that piece of shit.

To be clear on my position, as someone who has been raped, I also don't think filming in a bathroom is on the same level as sexual assault.

But me too is about more than just physical attacks, and if we say only people who were physically abused have a voice in me too, that's fucked. Sometimes the "only" thing a me too victim has to complain about is having a business relationship treated sexually, and having everyone tell her, "oh, men can't even FLIRT now, God women are so sensitive!" So she keeps her mouth shut until, surprise! A lot of stuff comes out about the guy that he wasn't just being creepy to her, he was actually doing much worse things all around but everyone wanted to give "the poor guy' the benefit of the doubt, because talking about his penis size at work is "just words."

That, to me, is the danger of looking at someone do something like filming in a bathroom and saying, "it's not that bad, he shouldn't have been banned for it, he just made a mistake.". Most people understand why you don't make that "mistake", just like most people understand why you don't talk about genitals at work. If someone pretends not to understand social contracts like that, then there are other things they will pretend not to understand.

Rethinking how we allow men massive, unearned leeway is part of this whole thing about "what do we do with men who do this stuff?" We were discussing earlier. What you do with them is start creating a society where men are universally treated like adults who are responsible for their own actions, and not little boys who can't possibly know any better.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
This discussion has been closed.