As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077, the Seizure Inducing Videogame, Released December 10

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    i remember when I had to use DOS to start games

I used to feel like some kinda movie hacker loading up games in DOS. My friends all thought it was cool too but the reality was they just had more modern Windows and I was living in the past with the grand-moms PCs.

Real 7331s must assign stuff to HI-Mem in Autoexec.bat and make sure that their Roland MT-32 doesnt have IRQ conflicts with input devices.

i think the craziest ass shit to me is that my parents taught me the basics of this stuff when I was literally 6 years old -- as in, I had just learned to fucking *read* -- because they were tired of me pestering them about "When can I play" [some damned educational game they got freeware slash semi pirated from their weird cyber security buddy] -- they're an actor and a small business owner, they couldn't afford this shit on their own -- so dad was like "eh, they can read uh, letters, if I just tell them what to type they can dir as well as we can

and then the greatest irony is that I completely wasted that early education and didn't go into computer science, mostly because the uphill battle as an AFAB queer weirdo with severe learning disabilities turned out to be an insurmountable obstacle

see, that's still on topic, we're still talking about the ways corporations just fuck us all!

*edit* I got as far as learning how to launch Ultima: Underworld, Might and Magic 1, literally anything on a floppy disk, and uhh I think Wing Commander; in addition to the things dad actually taught me to run (educational games & a basic word processor). He was very careful to not teach me anything else beyond "Change directories" bc I *absolutely* would have accidentally wiped a drive if he had.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Kinda the same. I started leafing through my dad's Computer Shopper and IBM-PC mags in 1st grade and I'd ask questions so he'd start showing me DOS hacks and taught me some BASIC fundamentals. Got me in trouble in 2nd grade.

I'd done a basic tutorial to make the PC-Speaker play La Cuciracha and then edited our classroom 386's Config.sys to play that file anytime the cd/change directory command was used. I had to show the teacher how to disable it, which in turn got me out of detention :)

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    We tried installing Doom on the computer lab computers in middle school but found out they couldn't run it

So we settled for Corridor 7

• Options
    Mr SparklesMr Sparkles Registered User regular
    We tried installing Doom on the computer lab computers in middle school but found out they couldn't run it

So we settled for Corridor 7

Ouch. That's a long way to settle.

When I was in high school, someone installed Doom 2 on the lab computers.

The way I discovered this was one of the guys in class got it running mid-lesson. And because there was no sound he made his own. Loudly. In an otherwise quiet room.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Our small high school computer lab was all Macintosh back in '95, so I installed Marathon on all the computers. Turned our various computer classes and other free periods into multiplayer LAN parties.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

I used to feel like some kinda movie hacker loading up games in DOS. My friends all thought it was cool too but the reality was they just had more modern Windows and I was living in the past with the grand-moms PCs.

Real 7331s must assign stuff to HI-Mem in Autoexec.bat and make sure that their Roland MT-32 doesnt have IRQ conflicts with input devices.

I remember fast forwarding the cassette to a certain index..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    It wasn't until the start of me going to high school in 1994/5 where the school PCs were proper 486s or pentium 1s so they could be used to play proper games.

Before that, the elementary and middle schools were using C64s and Amiga 2s, which yeah they could play games, but it was all the educational stuff. Best game you could play was Where in The World/Time is Carmen Sandiego.

But high school? I quickly found out by exploring a directory called Garbage in the folder where Excel was installed, like this was straight out of the movie Hackers, that someone installed Doom, Wolfenstein, Civilization 1, King of Fighters 94, Curse of Monkey Island and a couple of other games I can't recall.

Made accounting and study periods in the computer lab much more fun than they had any right being.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    c64 had loads and loads of games.. Wikipedia lists 2021

But you would have to bring your own, since of course those wouldn't be installed

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

And having to get the volume level exactly right.

I was loading a game off a cassette last month. :)

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    When I was growing up during the 80’s and 90’s, my schools had the cLassiter educational games: Oregon Trail, all of the Carmen San Diego games, Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, and Math Rabbit and other associated games. However, at one of the schools, I believe in Hawaii, had the first Civilization installed on it by the teacher since they felt it was educational. With the book that came with it at the time outlining the discoveries and inventions and the world wonders and the like I would definitely agree. For the most part, the computers in my classrooms were the Apple IIe with an orange colored output. I can’t recall what type of computer Civ was on, but it was the first time I saw color on a computer.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

And having to get the volume level exactly right.

I was loading a game off a cassette last month. :)

I remember having an audio book that had different tracks on the left/right balance of each tape. You put in a tape and shifted your balance to the left or right side fully and would hear different parts of the book.

It was a huge book.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Old ass computer school lessons back in the day?

BBC Micro with granny’s garden was king. May not have helped that I had one at home so I use sneak in some non-learning games.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Should we temporarily rename this thread to Computers: back in my day? I’m really enjoying this derailment here and want to see where it goes.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    As a computer, I just wanna say stop all the downloadin'.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I want to say yes, I would download a car

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Having bought for a dlc car from forza I guess I would download a car.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Considering i have played GTA Online through steam, i have downloaded like hundreds of cars.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Looks like NCW will be about 9:00 PST (dammit I'll be driving home for lunch!) tomorrow and then afterwards all the folks who got to play the demo can talk about it.

Info on the demo:

Final version of the game

Everything accessible(including full character creation) with some story missions blocked

4 hours from the start of the game to do whatever they wanted

Should be a lot of new info and questions answered.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i just want to know just how cyber these punks are gonna be u dig

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The cyber level is gonna be off the charts

Over 1337

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be ALL the cyber though.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

Over 1337

as cyber as al gore inventing the internet???

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

Over 1337

as cyber as al gore inventing the internet???

as cyber as this

dxw7sv9jpjnc.jpg

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh wait.

I'm WFH tomorrow so I can be watching at the start.

Huzzah!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    So cyber that cyberpsychosis/cyber zombies look like care bears.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    https://www.gog.com/game/cyberpunk_2077_goodies_collection

Some Cyberpunk 2077 goodies for free, for a limited time.
    Get ready for a deep dive into the futuristic, neon-shining universe of Night City. Grab the free Cyberpunk 2077 Goodies Collection on GOG.COM now, before it fades away. This unique content pack compiles for the first time ever the best of previously released CD PROJEKT RED content and adds a juicy portion of fresh, never seen before goodies.

Among the new stuff featured in Cyberpunk 2077 Goodies Collection, you'll find some unique concept arts and ad posters with design styles featured in the game. The previously released content includes printable posters, digital wallpapers, gang graffiti, and steelbook art - all that will give your computer and living room a futuristic, rebel touch. Finally, detailed Cyberpunk 2077 universe goodies, like screenshots and weapon blueprints will make you wait for the game’s premiere on the edge of your seat.

Grab the free Cyberpunk 2077 Goodies Collection while you can! It will be available on GOG.COM until the 4th of July 2020, 5 PM UTC.

Edit: screenshot of the contents:
    ciui16vi9gvw.jpg

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    They're doing a deep dive on new footage and talking about other stuff on CD Projekt Red's Twitch:

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    This anime should be interesting. TRIGGER studios is made up of some of the GAINAX folks so should be interesting.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    TRIGGER made Promare which I loved so I'm intrigued by the anime.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    This stream made the game seem way more light and fun than I was expecting.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I mean that's always a bit part of cyberpunk. The world is bleak and corrupt, but people sometimes still just.. Wanna play

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I only played W3 by CDPR but that game had a ton of humorous shit in it, despite the marketing material seeming heavy.

Which is why when people complain Geralt is "edgy and grimdark" it makes me wonder if I played the game completely differently than they did. Dudes hilarious.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    This anime should be interesting. TRIGGER studios is made up of some of the GAINAX folks so should be interesting.

Basically all the people that worked on Gurren Lagann went on to form TRIGGER.

Studio TRIGGER is fucking amazing and all they do is gold (as long as they are both the creators and animators).

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

I only played W3 by CDPR but that game had a ton of humorous shit in it, despite the marketing material seeming heavy.

Which is why when people complain Geralt is "edgy and grimdark" it makes me wonder if I played the game completely differently than they did. Dudes hilarious.

Geralt is about 80% dad jokes by volume, the rest is I dunno..abs or something

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

Geralt is about 80% dad jokes by volume, the rest is I dunno..abs or something

The snickering during the potestaquisitor "Grasp it firmly, move it around, and the louder it squeals, the closer you are" was an exact mirror of what I was doing.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Yeah Geralt is like an edgy '90s hero in character design and voice, but his actual personality is like a secret big softie with an atrocious love of dad jokes. Also regularly talking to his horse, who he insists that he doesn't love to bits. One of the big pleasures of Witcher 3 is getting to figure out his real personality.

The only time he ever gets actually edgy is in response to like heinous cruelty against innocents, or someone threatening his family.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    This is a man who knows exactly what he is and what he is doing.

4AlTtFTh.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Man, I've been avoiding too much stuff to not get overly hyped, but this Digital Foundry gameplay def got me to a half chub at least
    https://youtu.be/w9-n3_xZnfY

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I was happy with the stream. A bit of new gameplay info, a new gameplay mechanic, but no real spoilers or deep dives.

Enough to whet the appetite, but not enough to spoil the meal.

Now, I just hope that the new Xbox launches before Cyberpunk does, so I can enjoy it in all its glory.

Just 5 months to go. I’m sure it’ll fly by...

This discussion has been closed.