Options

[Astral Chain] Anime cyberpunk action cop game where you CAN pet the dog.

14567810»

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    File 09
    Bang, bang, bang,

Pull my Legion trigger

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm up to file 10, and I'm really going back and forth on this game. Sometimes it just works, and combat feels like it makes sense and I know what I'm doing, and the side missions are fun and interesting. And then I'm just measuring distances for some dope, and I start feeling like I'm carrying a peashooter into combat against enemies who can freeze me to the ground that I can't do anything about. I'm sure that there's some ability I can assign to a legion to prevent freezing/stun/burning, but that is a level of micromanaging that I do NOT want to have to get into for each enemy I encounter, especially when it's a different set per legion.

Considering all of the early level stuff that's gated behind the later legions, and how so many sidequests can't be retried, it feels like they really expect you to play through pretty much the entire game, because doing things the first time is just impossible. Like they're taking the mentality of NES hard games and applying it to mundane tasks. It feels really annoying to me!

Also the camera is still bad, I can't believe action games still have bad cameras in 2019, I feel like we should have been able to figure this out. The camera should not get blocked and go haywire when I get near a wall!

There's just a ton of little annoyances all throughout, and I'm starting to not enjoy the core gameplay enough to cover for it.

edit:: I feel like I remember someone saying earlier that there wasn't a big difference between casual and standard other than the number of lives you get, but I think they are pretty different. I forgot I had set mine to standard while I was redoing an earlier mission, and once I put it back on casual I beat those fights I had trouble with pretty easily.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea casual is definitely way easier. I don't know why someone would say that it isn't.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Beat the final boss, first try, Pt. Standard.

Had to blow through most or all of my battery recharge items, but at my age that's not gonna get me down.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Beat it on casual, because I decided I wasn't in the mood to really try hard on this. I think the big thing about the combat in this game, is that compared to something like Bayonetta, there's not really a single skill you can hone. Like in Bayonetta, just about everything flows from the dodge, it's a basic skill, it's always useful, and sets up a lot of other things you do in combat. In this, there is no real foundational skill, your strategy can change a lot depending on which weapon you want to use, which legion you are using, which abilities you have equipped to it, and which skills it has assigned. I think a lot of the problem I was having was that I kept trying to just hone my basics, when I should have been focusing more on the later stuff - I rarely used any of the legion abilities until the last level.

It's also hard to know at first glance how to use the different legions, and how much you should switch between them. Does an xp imbalance outweigh any situational advantages? It's hard to know until you just try it out over and over. I think that the system does seem good and rewarding, but a steep learning curve. I really wish they had given you more incentive to focus on learning the ins and outs of particular legions.

In terms of story, I think Anime Confusion Ending is its own style at this point. I shouldn't have to read the codex to make sense of your plot. Speaking of which, how do you read the deep plot entries after the fact? I don't see anywhere to read them other than when it popped them up between files.

sig.gif