Options

[Astral Chain] Anime cyberpunk action cop game where you CAN pet the dog.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm so bad at the platforming sections it's embarrassing.

I have an ability on my Sword Legion that gives it an extra lunging attack if I flick the right stick. This has caused me to fall off cliffs countless times when I try to adjust the Legion's position for a chain jump only to send it and myself hurtling in a completely different direction. Though now that I have a second Legion I can use for platforming it shouldn't be an issue any more.

Yeah I could've replaced the ability with something else but it's such a good attack!

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    In case anyone didn’t try it yet, control type C is something a bit more Bayo-ish.

It's less this and more getting use to the way dodge works. After practicing a bit more in training it looks like dodge needs you to start it up ahead of time (since you're physically jumping out of the way instead of turning into a cloud of incorporeal bats) and if I really want to pin point dodge I have to unsummon the legion and immediately point block using the summon, netting me a counter as a reward.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    If you have played Bloodborne, the initial control mapping is a bit like that, rather than like Bayonetta. Attack on R2, quickstep dodge on a face button. If you use the Blade Mode for a counter, it’s even a bit like that game’s parry, at least in terms of where the button is.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I have a hard time with most Platinum games. I just don't do the twitch action well. Wonderful 101 gave me a hard time and reminded me constantly how bad I am at it. I finally beat Transformers and died constantly.

Not sure what it is about Astral Chain though. I am in love with this game and the action seems to be gelling with me more than any of their previous games. I also love the investigation stuff. So far it is hitting all of the right buttons and if it stays this strong all throughout, I might have my GOTY front runner.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    So I started Chapter 4, [Siege].
    Bow Legion looks like a fun option. Especially with my new Charge attack being used with the Gun. I gave Bow a heal-on-sync-attack, and Sword a ramming attack. Seemed appropriate.

So, Gendo Yosef really didn't waste time becoming an obvious villain, did he? Talking to a bunch of people with sin-related titles in a room dominated by a giant white cross on a black wall, and saying that humanity can "become as gods". I don't think I've seen a dude project Obvious Villain Energy this hard since Lysandre

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm so bad at the platforming sections it's embarrassing.

they also control a bit poorly and are overly punishing.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    So I started Chapter 4, [Siege].
    Bow Legion looks like a fun option. Especially with my new Charge attack being used with the Gun. I gave Bow a heal-on-sync-attack, and Sword a ramming attack. Seemed appropriate.

So, Gendo Yosef really didn't waste time becoming an obvious villain, did he? Talking to a bunch of people with sin-related titles in a room dominated by a giant white cross on a black wall, and saying that humanity can "become as gods". I don't think I've seen a dude project Obvious Villain Energy this hard since Lysandre

BECOME AS GODS
    BECOME AS GODS
    WE WILL BECOME AS GODS

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Does the actress who plays Avery not know how to pronounce cocoa or is it an Avery character quirk?
    IRIS does not have the information.

• Options
    Chapter 7
    The traffic mini game brings back old memories. I'm not sure how much I want to play traffic in my platinum fighter...

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Getting through file 2 made me think the game was going for a slightly more simplistic combat than say Bayonetta. Then the game drops Chain jump attacks, Slash counters, On the fly weapon switching and Legion abilities on me. Hoo boy that got a bit more involved than I expected.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Getting through file 2 made me think the game was going for a slightly more simplistic combat than say Bayonetta. Then the game drops Chain jump attacks, Slash counters, On the fly weapon switching and Legion abilities on me. Hoo boy that got a bit more involved than I expected.

To be fair you can ignore 90% of it. The only real required thing is specific legion abilities (e.g. using slash to disable certain enemy things). The rest is optional... and Bayonetta has a lot of optional weapon specific tricks, to be fair (such as immunity to fire/lightning floors with the claws).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Road Block wrote: »

To be fair you can ignore 90% of it. The only real required thing is specific legion abilities (e.g. using slash to disable certain enemy things). The rest is optional... and Bayonetta has a lot of optional weapon specific tricks, to be fair (such as immunity to fire/lightning floors with the claws).

Oh it's not a complaint and I realize you don't really need all the fancy tricks. Just caught me a bit off guard.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just got through File 2 too. I'm really not sure about how to use the slash counter yet. Seems particularly difficult to fire off when required. It's cool that there are a lot of toys to play with anyway.

• Options
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Yeah, I just got through File 2 too. I'm really not sure about how to use the slash counter yet. Seems particularly difficult to fire off when required. It's cool that there are a lot of toys to play with anyway.

Took me a bit of sparing to work out but.

1. Make sure to focus when you expect an attack (click r stick)
    2. You want to Slash through the red sections usually on their limbs not the green attack lines. They turn blue when you're lined up.
    3. If multiple sections exist, for best results cut both at once. Cutting one will prevent the attack but not stun.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    File 03 was loooooong. If you're in the middle of a mission, is there no suspend save or something? I wanted to pause, but it took me like an additional 2 hours to just back to HQ for File 04...

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Those moves you get for upgrading your X-baton is there a way to go see what those actually are?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I have tested and you can quit the game after an auto save and it will bring you to the start of the last section you were in.

Also, 'you cant go in this area dressed like a cop, put on this disguise'
    Character is still wearing a bright red cap that says POLICE on it. I guess they werent expecting anyone wanting to cover up the anime hair.

• Options
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    I have tested and you can quit the game after an auto save and it will bring you to the start of the last section you were in.

Also, 'you cant go in this area dressed like a cop, put on this disguise'
    Character is still wearing a bright red cap that says POLICE on it. I guess they werent expecting anyone wanting to cover up the anime hair.

Oh jeez, yeah - I did the same thing that level.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Discovering I can quick recall the legion with R and then summon again for a point guard has made my defense a lot better. Interrupting an enemy combo with it and going on a counter offensive is just so rewarding.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    The fact that I am running around picking up litter is oddly satisfying.

• Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    File 03 was loooooong. If you're in the middle of a mission, is there no suspend save or something? I wanted to pause, but it took me like an additional 2 hours to just back to HQ for File 04...

It auto saves pretty constantly as far as I can tell. If in doubt, go to the load section in the menu and the last save will be time-stamped.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    https://imgur.com/a/vL4edct

a pretty good breakdown of the different dodges and how they work

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Oh, so when you Finish Off an enemy with the Legion ripping the core out, you recover some health.

I don't remember seeing that pop up in a tutorial. Although there have been quite a few so far, so I maybe I just missed it.

• Options
    Oh, so when you Finish Off an enemy with the Legion ripping the core out, you recover some health.

I don't remember seeing that pop up in a tutorial. Although there have been quite a few so far, so I maybe I just missed it.

You recover a lot of health.

• Options
    I just got Arm.

I now just have Star Platinum as an option.

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

You recover a lot of health.

It's pretty much a full heal most of the time? Like, 60%+ max HP. It's really good.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    The combat in this is so good and I really wish it would stop dragging me away from that to play bad mini-games.

Especially stealth mini games.

But especially motion control mini-games.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Stealth minigames are easier once you realize that for 90% of them all you need to do is get close enough to Chain Bind

• Options
    The combat in this is so good and I really wish it would stop dragging me away from that to play bad mini-games.

You scream at ice cream?

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

You scream at ice cream?

There's a worse one later, but yes.

Still having fun overall, just frustrated by a particular File that is very mini-game heavy.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    Station segment on chapter 5
    pleeease tell me I can unlock the Lappy costume for regular gameplay.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    One of the items description says "it's worth a few G". I was confused at first when it was only worth 10. Dang language choices...

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    One of the main red missions in File 3 had me beat the shit out of some random civilian. He suddenly attacks me, and I retaliated with a full combo ending with a sync attack. That was the whole fight.

And yet I only got a B rank.

This game's rank system is so different from previous Platinum games. I'm not quite sure what you have to do to get the higher grades, beyond dodging hits and using few items.

• Options
    Items don't change your score from what I've read.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Okay, I looked up the ranking system. I like that it doesn't penalise you for taking damage, it gives you more incentive to focus on chaining together the cool moves.

• Options
    Particularly since big enemy groups give you many chances to heal to full.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Quick question: I read something in this thread about motion control mini-games. Are these mandatory? Was thinking about getting it, but accessibility is now a concern.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Is recycling something specific?

One of the challenges is to recycle 10 cans. SO I wasn't sure if that is something that opens up later or if I just sell them?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Is recycling something specific?

One of the challenges is to recycle 10 cans. SO I wasn't sure if that is something that opens up later or if I just sell them?

You pick up cans and then, with them in your inventory, go to a garbage can and use the prompt to throw them in.

Chapter 4 is a perfect place to do this; the shopping district you investigate is lousy with discarded cans.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Quick question: I read something in this thread about motion control mini-games. Are these mandatory? Was thinking about getting it, but accessibility is now a concern.

I'm on file 5 and I haven't noticed anything requiring motion controls. I have noticed that there are some abilities that allow you to tilt to aim with your powers but I just use the sticks.