Options

[Astral Chain] Anime cyberpunk action cop game where you CAN pet the dog.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    As someone who plays pretty much every Platinum game and character action game that comes out, this game game is definitely one of the most challenging games to be "good" at that I've played in a very long time. And I'm not like, dying or anything. I haven't gotten a game over yet, though 5 files in I came close once.

It's more that this game doesn't really play like any other action game that I've played before. The weirdest thing to get used to is definitely the dodge. It's probably the worst dodge of any platinum game I've played, you actually have to dodge away from enemies as multiple attacks can catch you on recovery. You CAN sideways or towards attacks, but you actually have to learn enemy attack patterns to know if that will be safe or not.

It really feels like you're just playing some normal shmuck whose big advantage is that he's a goddamn stand user.

And yeah things definitely start feeling better once you start getting more legions and unlocking their abilities. Combat becomes constantly switching through them and doing cool shit. Right now my biggest problem is focusing too hard on trying to do cool stuff and getting smacked 5 times in a row because I'm not paying attention.

Definitely the worst bit for me was right at the end of Chapter 2 when you suddenly have 4 very angry enemies attack you all at the same time - i got downed instantly a few times. I'll get the hang of it someway/somehow!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I'm playing on Pt Standard and I'm finding it a bit challenging, but not overly so. The File 3 mid-level boss hit me constantly, and I used up all my healing items, but I still beat them. I'm trying to dodge more often and play defensively now, then chain jump in when it looks safe. The aimed slash is the hardest thing I find to use in the middle of a heated situation.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Just picked up this game, and heading towards the end of act 2.

So far my conclusion is... i suck at it badly. I did admittedly pop the difficulty up to PT Standard, but ooof. I'm assuming the game will click thereto more as i play through it, and get more abilites handed to me properly?

Well the file 2 boss handed me my ass but since then I've only been knocked down once in 6 files. So more abilities definitely helped me. Which speaking of, file 3 is where options really start to open up.

In the meantime don't be afraid to abuse field items, it's not like the game let's you hoard them anyway might as well get some use out of them.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Oh hey, this thread exists! Just finished file 6 yesterday (which was incredibly long by the way), started file 7 but I didn't get very far since I was pretty tired.

Question about the difficulty: is PT Standard actually more difficulty than Casual? As in, enemies do more damage etc.? Or do you just get fewer batteries and that's it?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    As someone who plays pretty much every Platinum game and character action game that comes out, this game game is definitely one of the most challenging games to be "good" at that I've played in a very long time. And I'm not like, dying or anything. I haven't gotten a game over yet, though 5 files in I came close once.

It's more that this game doesn't really play like any other action game that I've played before. The weirdest thing to get used to is definitely the dodge. It's probably the worst dodge of any platinum game I've played, you actually have to dodge away from enemies as multiple attacks can catch you on recovery. You CAN sideways or towards attacks, but you actually have to learn enemy attack patterns to know if that will be safe or not.

It really feels like you're just playing some normal shmuck whose big advantage is that he's a goddamn stand user.

And yeah things definitely start feeling better once you start getting more legions and unlocking their abilities. Combat becomes constantly switching through them and doing cool shit. Right now my biggest problem is focusing too hard on trying to do cool stuff and getting smacked 5 times in a row because I'm not paying attention.

Definitely the worst bit for me was right at the end of Chapter 2 when you suddenly have 4 very angry enemies attack you all at the same time - i got downed instantly a few times. I'll get the hang of it someway/somehow!
    After chapter 2 is when your combat options expand a LOT, so you hopefully will feel less outmatched.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Oh hey, this thread exists! Just finished file 6 yesterday (which was incredibly long by the way), started file 7 but I didn't get very far since I was pretty tired.

Question about the difficulty: is PT Standard actually more difficulty than Casual? As in, enemies do more damage etc.? Or do you just get fewer batteries and that's it?

Not significantly I think? The amount of damage I was taking wasn't too bad, especially once you realize that doing the "finish off" bit is a full heal.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    This game is pretty good times so far. The police HQ music almost worth the price of admission alone!

I think I started the 2nd or 3rd mission last night. Kind of hard for me to tell, the interface has a lot going on, I'm playing on a smallish hotel TV, and most importantly, every day I become more and more of a confused old man when it comes to videogames.

Anyway, I'm pretty bad at the combat but I'm (again) going to blame it on this laggy TV. Yeah that's it.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    The dodge in this game isn’t your strongest defense tool. That’s perfect call which gives i frames and blocks the attack at issue.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Speaking of the dodge, this album has a pretty good breakdown of it. Something notable in there is that the Beast and Arm Legions (even while wearing the latter) have iframes throughout the perfect dodge sync attack.

You can also dismiss and summon your Legion mid-attack, mid-dodge, or while incapacitated which also means you can use Perfect Call to block an attack during those situations. Perfect Call interrupts attacks, so you can stop enemies from spinning around instead of repeatedly dodging.

You wouldn't know it without reading the in-game help, but you can dodge offset combos. Only one dodge between each part of your attack string, though.

It also pays to read the in-game help for each of your Legions sync attack combos. Your Baton + Sword Legion ends with Sync (ZL) -> Attack (ZR) -> Sync (ZL) that chains the enemy, and if you have the chain sync learned on that Legion you have another Sync (ZL) opportunity. Different X-Baton mode + Legion combos have other options.

I prematurely finished File 10 yesterday, so I'm going to go back through and do that again before starting 11 (File 10 spoilers below):
    I wasn't even paying attention to the main mission icon, Hal was chiming in about the chimera detectors that when I was leaving after clearing that case and he bugged me about Olive going after Brenda I assumed it was more of the same. Her giving me a proceed/wait option at the waterway entrance should've been a big hint, but it didn't sink in.

And holy crap, I somehow missed 3 optional red cases in that threading the needle section. Stealth sections are always slow and stressful for me, and thus far I've gotten pretty bad ranks on all of them. Hopefully they'll be a guide on what the score bonus/requirements are by the time I try to S+ them.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    It also pays to read the in-game help for each of your Legions sync attack combos.

Dude, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I knew there must be a movelist somewhere but it didn't occur to me to check the "help" menu.

The arm legion has a whole movelist when you're wearing it that I had no idea about. You can launch frikkin rocket punches and sync attack after to launch a missle barrage. It's super sick. You can also do a rad spinning lariat.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Pt Standard is a pretty reasonable difficulty. If you're struggling you can basically cheese it by buying healing items, but I never even needed to use purchased items until the late game when the field supplies get scarce. The penalty for a full death isn't that bad either.

Zek on
  • Options
    Zek wrote: »
    Pt Standard is a pretty reasonable difficulty. If you're struggling you can basically cheese it by buying healing items, but I never even needed to use purchased items until the late game when the field supplies get scarce. The penalty for a full death isn't that bad either.

Battery revives also give you massive HP (up to 200% max at full upgrade, which also gives +3 batteries).

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea this was one of those games that after the first chapter I was like wow "wow this seems easy" then after beating it the game was like HEY YOU WERE ON EASY MODE!

So then I turned it up to normal and at first flipped to "oh gosh this seems really hard. Thank goodness for all these healing items!"

And then as I got more tools it feels more like a standard normal difficulty action game.

Sometimes you will take a lot of damage but the game has so many safety nets for that so it ends up being harder to actually die than you might expect.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Item questions,

What does the AED battery do? It doesn't heal or recover legion gauge from what I can see.

All this salvage I'm picking up (broken glasses, nuts, bolts, etc.), should I hoarding them or selling them to the doctor and vending machines?

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Item questions,

What does the AED battery do? It doesn't heal or recover legion gauge from what I can see.

All this salvage I'm picking up (broken glasses, nuts, bolts, etc.), should I hoarding them or selling them to the doctor and vending machines?

Batteries are your extra lives. You can see them as hearts on the UI.

Salvage doesn't do anything, you can just sell it.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Item questions,

Except for cat food, for some reason that's listed under salvage. Everything else is just there to be sold.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Speaking of, was the ability to sell/delete multiples something that was added in that patch or was I just blind and it was always there?

Well either thank goodness they added that or thank goodness I found that!

• Options
    Always was there.

• Options
    Clawing up your ranking is so much more forgiving in this since you can:
    A) Start a cleared chapter at multiple checkpoints
    B) Skip anything you already cleared (blue) or got S+ on (red)
    C) Jump to file clear at any time from the menu to update your results

It's basically just getting S+ as your high score on each red challenge and clearing each blue.

• Options
    Item questions,

Do this relatively often. I've missed some high-value rewards (12,000) that were auto-sold for a paltry 1,000 (pretty sure it was Dented Armor). You can sell at any vending machine while in the field.

Expanding on the the AED battery, your AED (I believe that is short for Automatic Emergency Defibrillator) revives you. The hearts on the UI are your lives. The battery items can be used to restore those hearts if needed. If you're playing on Pt Standard you only have two lives without any upgrades (Pt Ultimate you start with 0, I'm not sure if upgrades give you any lives or not on that difficulty).

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Item questions,

Do this relatively often. I've missed some high-value rewards (12,000) that were auto-sold for a paltry 1,000 (pretty sure it was Dented Armor). You can sell at any vending machine while in the field.

Expanding on the the AED battery, your AED (I believe that is short for Automatic Emergency Defibrillator) revives you. The hearts on the UI are your lives. The battery items can be used to restore those hearts if needed. If you're playing on Pt Standard you only have two lives without any upgrades (Pt Ultimate you start with 0, I'm not sure if upgrades give you any lives or not on that difficulty).

I will note some postgame challenges limit you to only one battery... and can be brutal.

...R2-2 is just stupid, because it spawns self-destructing assholes halfway through a couple fights in it all over, and they can end up popping up under you mid-combo and explode for like 800 damage. And then combo you.

I did not regret any of the cheese I used on that one.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    ...R2-2 is just stupid, because it spawns self-destructing assholes halfway through a couple fights in it all over, and they can end up popping up under you mid-combo and explode for like 800 damage. And then combo you.
    Hmm...a simple yes/no will suffice as I'm not to that point yet, but are they same enemies that
    show up basically right before the Axe Nemesis fight after that little block puzzle? Depending what you meant by popping under you (running under you while distracted vs. literally spawning underneath you) the 360 attack with the Blaster has pretty good range and cleared out all of them each time they spawned.

Another general tip for any new players: check the orders tab in your Legatus. They are functionally your achievements and you have to go there to collect the rewards. Click the right stick to sort so the cleared ones are at the top. Rewards include rare and premium material codes, additional HUD colors, alternative IRIS voices, and more color slots. For instance, I'm pretty sure doing all the training missions with Jin is how you earn the EVA 01 colors for your Legion.

Bonus tip: you will unlock a camera. While this is used to fill out the database of people and enemies, there are also a series of photo requests in the orders tab that it gives you hints for. Try to check them out at the start of each file so you know what to keep an eye out for.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    I love when the game cuts from the action and I have to balance boxes using motion controls. I feel like I'm playing the Wii again.

• Options
    I think I'm just going to put it on easy and push through. How many chapters are there? 16?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    urahonky wrote: »
    I think I'm just going to put it on easy and push through. How many chapters are there? 16?
    11, plus liberal amounts of endgame challenge fights

None of the balancing stuff is required to progress, thankfully. Only needed for ranking.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Ohhh only that many? Hm. I might try again later. I just can't seem to get into it for some reason. But knowing that I'm fairly close means I can easily force my way through.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Okay, i'm feeling like an idijit here: I've assaigned my legion the Power Charge Ability. but for the life of me i have no idea how to activate it. it says it's on R. But... R is my item ability?

What am i missing?

• Options
    Okay, i'm feeling like an idijit here: I've assaigned my legion the Power Charge Ability. but for the life of me i have no idea how to activate it. it says it's on R. But... R is my item ability?

What am i missing?

When you're holding ZL (or whatever button you use to command your legion), the functionality of X and Y (item and legion switch, so whatever those are for you) switches to telling it to use its active skills.

Also, Power Charge is just the best skill in the game, because more damage = enemies die faster. I put it on X for every legion and glued it there.

• Options
    So in chapter 11 pre-action, I finished the mission “In Love Again”.
    Basically, I helped this lovesick dude gather gifts to try and impress a girl he’s interested two times. After the second time, he basically said he’d been looking for love in the wrong places and confessed to my character instead. Does this mission go that way if you’re playing as the male Howard twin?

• Options

What am i missing?

When you're holding ZL (or whatever button you use to command your legion), the functionality of X and Y (item and legion switch, so whatever those are for you) switches to telling it to use its active skills.

Also, Power Charge is just the best skill in the game, because more damage = enemies die faster. I put it on X for every legion and glued it there.

...Well, that makes sense. I literally couldnt find a thing in the help to tell me that, or online. Oof.

The game is def starting to come togther now i'm past File 2. actually having control of when synch attacks go off REALLY helps. Still struggling with the controls in general a bit (I like type C, except for trying to do the legion slash attack which is aaaaaah), but sitll, it's def starting to click. Though i'm also having a little bit of issue with the camera controls - i'll get there though!

• Options

What am i missing?

...Well, that makes sense. I literally couldnt find a thing in the help to tell me that, or online. Oof.

The game is def starting to come togther now i'm past File 2. actually having control of when synch attacks go off REALLY helps. Still struggling with the controls in general a bit (I like type C, except for trying to do the legion slash attack which is aaaaaah), but sitll, it's def starting to click. Though i'm also having a little bit of issue with the camera controls - i'll get there though!

Dont' worry so much about the sword counter. It's super super unwieldly. Just use perfect call once you unlock it on each legion. It's way easier to use.

• Options

What am i missing?

The thing I find the most useful for the slash and arrow stances is to dismiss the legion before pulling them up, to avoid timing issues of the legion being a ways out. And then immediately use focus so you can take your time lining it up (though for the one thing you actually have to use it for in combat, the target is massive).

• Options
    edited September 2019
    The worst thing about SLash and Arrow stances is that it seems like they didn't test them at all in Control Mode C. I switched to that mode from very early in the game because using ZR as attack in an fast action game felt terrible to me, so I picked the closest one to other Platinum games.

In that mode you press X for stance and Y to attack with right stick to aim. I just did a shooting challenge where I literally stretched my left thumb over to the right stick to aim and shoot at the same time.

I actually tried to go back to the default but literally every button does something different. I'm too far gone now.

Why this game doesn't just let you set custom buttons is baffling to me.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Made it to the end of the story.

I sure hope they’re planning more games in this series, because more story needs to be told.

• Options
    The worst thing about SLash and Arrow stances is that it seems like they didn't test them at all in Control Mode C. I switched to that mode from very early in the game because using ZR as attack in an fast action game felt terrible to me, so I picked the closest one to other Platinum games.

In that mode you press X for stance and Y to attack with right stick to aim. I just did a shooting challenge where I literally stretched my left thumb over to the right stick to aim and shoot at the same time.

I actually tried to go back to the default but literally every button does something different. I'm too far gone now.

Why this game doesn't just let you set custom buttons is baffling to me.

Yeah, this jumped out at me - Control Mode C is exactly what i want in general (Slamming the trigger for attacks just feels bad, and it feels a lot more natural to do it for dodges), but the fact you have to... Somehow press r, move the camera with r, while holding x, and press y to do slash mode is just AAAAH

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Anyone had their game crash? Had a couple of “an error caused the software to close” crashes while playing so far.

• Options
    So yeah, potential loose ends to clean up in the next game (end game spoilers):
    1: What, exactly, was Jena's plan? Was it just her goal to have all humankind merge into the Astral Plane, and I guess hope that whatever unfathomable computer user was reoganizing the worlds' data didn't choose to just put us all in the recycle bin?
    2: What are Chimeras, really? Are they Astral Plane beings, or a predecessor or successor of humans? Or what?
    3: Max == Axe?
    4: Why are the twins so strong? Is it because their mom was redshifting, and if so how did that effect them?
    5: Is Jena mom?
    6: Kyle?
    7: What's out in the rest of the world after years of abandoning it to the gates?
    8: What is Lappy's secret identity?

Probably more stuff

• Options
    Okay so I just beat file 6, and there has to be a trick to the last phase of the boss right?
    When he's just stomping around on the buildings and then stomps through the stage and back up the wall? I tried doing a bunch of stuff to knock him off the wall/ stun him when he was on the ground but nothing seemed to work. I pretty much beat him with long range stuff and by getting a couple hits in when he was on the ground but it wasn't very STYLISH

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Okay so I just beat file 6, and there has to be a trick to the last phase of the boss right?
    When he's just stomping around on the buildings and then stomps through the stage and back up the wall? I tried doing a bunch of stuff to knock him off the wall/ stun him when he was on the ground but nothing seemed to work. I pretty much beat him with long range stuff and by getting a couple hits in when he was on the ground but it wasn't very STYLISH
    You overlooked the obvious. I'll admit it took me a minute until I realized it was just going to keep repeating the cycle.
    What do you normally do when an enemy is charging at you?

Yep, you catch him with the chain and throw his ass into a building.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    You overlooked the obvious. I'll admit it took me a minute until I realized it was just going to keep repeating the cycle.
    What do you normally do when an enemy is charging at you?

Yep, you catch him with the chain and throw his ass into a building.

I tried that literally one time and when it didn't work I didn't try it again. Shit. I might just replay that section for fun.

Like 10 hours in and some of the chain stuff still feels a little funky to me. I still routinely mess up chaining up enemies. It's like whenever I'm manually moving the legion I expect it to feel exactly like Wonder Liner but it really doesn't so I fumble around a lot.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg