As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hurricane Dorian] has dissipated. Bahamas casualty count still unknown.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Tom Tasselmyer is a meteorologist with a Baltimore news station, citing radar information from Miami.

Dorian has radar-indicated wind gusts of 242mph. I don't know how accurate radar estimates are vs measurements from something like a Hurricane Hunter plane, but that's just 11mph slower than the highest non-tornado wind speed ever recorded, set by Tropical Cyclone Olivia in 1996.

• Options
    Also seeing a bunch of knowledgeable people saying that the storm has slowed to about 5mph (or less) and has basically stalled over Grand Bahama Island and is maintaining itself as a Category 5 storm.

I really cannot imagine what the island will look like when the storm finally passes. So long under such strong winds, heavy rain, and high storm surge, there will likely be terrible devastation.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Track is shifting closer to fl this am

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    This storm looks like it is going to threaten land as a hurricane until Friday! It already feels like it’s been around forever and we still have another week of it being around. This storm is nuts

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yeah, seeing the reactions in real time for prep then lul then reprep has been interesting

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    As of 8am, the storm is moving at ONE MILE PER HOUR

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I don't even know how much of Grand Bahama Island will be left after Dorian.

#Dorian is also beginning an eyewall replacement cycle this morning, as an outer ring is visible around the primary eyewall on radar (@markniss_ ).

While ERCs are accompanied by a decrease in max winds, the wind field also gets broader, making it more likely to impact Florida.

Levi Cowan runs the Tropical Tidbits site linked on the OP

Dorian might have maxed out its wind speeds already and may decline from here, but it had been a relatively smaller and compact hurricane before. The larger it gets, the weaker the core might be, but the more likely that even if the core stays offshore, the outer bands will affect the eastern seaboard.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I don't even know how much of Grand Bahama Island will be left after Dorian.

#Dorian is also beginning an eyewall replacement cycle this morning, as an outer ring is visible around the primary eyewall on radar (@markniss_ ).

While ERCs are accompanied by a decrease in max winds, the wind field also gets broader, making it more likely to impact Florida.

Levi Cowan runs the Tropical Tidbits site linked on the OP

Dorian might have maxed out its wind speeds already and may decline from here, but it had been a relatively smaller and compact hurricane before. The larger it gets, the weaker the core might be, but the more likely that even if the core stays offshore, the outer bands will affect the eastern seaboard.

It's like the damn thing is trying to be as damaging as possible. Stay a tight ring of fury over some islands, then get very slightly weaker yet bigger to cover as much of the mainland as possible

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Then follow a track from the mid-Florida coast up through Cape Hatteras and hit a major metro and two old-and-vulnerable cities on the way

Wait shit just saw the most recent update in the OP...

This thing is projected to have a chance to still be a tropical cyclone all the way through Providence

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Abacos and Grand Bahama are really just kind of sandbars on top of oolitic limestone. This is what Abacos looks like right now:

thetribune.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/video/2019/09/01/VID-20190901-WA0082.mp4

thetribune.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/video/2019/09/01/VID-20190901-WA0089.mp4

This is a shot taken of the street.

I'm on Paradise Island about 100 km south of Abacos. We have high winds and rain, and we're on generator power right now, but all in all it's not really too bad here.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    That shit is heartbreaking.

• Options
    The worst stuff is actually in two shanty towns of undocumented Haitians in Abacos (known as "The Mudd" and "Pigeon Pea"). They are both reported to be completely wiped out, but the Bahamian authorities on the affected islands are completely overwhelmed and so have no information on the status of the people who were living there.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Is that video available now because she was rescued?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Is that video available now because she was rescued?

No. The cell service is still working there somehow. Anyone in Abacos or Grand Bahama (Freeport) is essentially stuck where they are. The main airport in Freeport is completely flooded and the authorities have been unable to reach the airport on Abacos since 2:30 pm yesterday. There are emergency spaces for about 355 people but those are likely all full at this point and it would be questionable how safe they are. The normal population of these islands is about 72,000. Out of those, some will have evacuated last week, but anyone who is on any of those islands is stuck there at this point.

For reference, the highest point on Abacos is 134 feet above sea level. The highest point on Grand Bahama is 40 feet above sea level. With the storm surge at about 20 feet you can imagine the results.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Abacos is one of my favorite places on the planet and, along with its vulnerable human settlements (most of which are at the level of a storm surge), that area has some really incredible mangroves and coral reefs that I can only imagine are at the most delicate they've ever been in human history

tl;dr - that area getting hit with what is probably the most powerful storm over the Atlantic ever is a bummer for a lot of reasons!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Just to add insult to injury, "there's a tweet for that".

* a sourced list of five Trump tweets or statements saying he's never heard of Cat 5, over the last two years*
    - Duty2Warn is a Twitter feed that dislikes Trump, but the sources appear to be Daniel Dale (the CNN factchecker guy), and another guy.

Not copypastable text. :( So here's a clickable link to the image of the text if Twitter isn't working for you.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDaly8eU0AAXiRo?format=png&name=small

Just a reminder, Trump has 'one of the great memories of all-time'.

Fuck outta here.

Stay safe, Alabama.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    So many people are going to suffer even more than they already have due to this president. Fuck him so very, very much.

• Options
    This is still very early in the cycle and could amount to nothing, but probably worth keeping an eye on that tropical disturbance just west of Cape Verde. The National Hurricane Center (from which I sourced this graphic) has it at a greater than 60% chance of becoming a tropical cyclone in the next 48hrs.

s6gfzy06jd6j.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    This is from a news report in the weather channel app, so I’m not sure how to share the link:
    Authorities were telling people to find floatation devices and, for those who retreated to their attics, use hammers to break through the roofs of their homes, according to the Associated Press. Police Chief Samuel Butler told ZNS Bahamas that the storm's winds were too strong for crews to go out and perform rescues, the AP also reported.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I was just thinking with Dorian being the fourth storm this was an unusually light year so far. Katrina was the last week of August IIRC and obviously much later in the alphabet. 2005 was bonkers though.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    So many people are going to suffer even more than they already have due to this president. Fuck him so very, very much.

It's not like he's at one of his resorts golfing while this storm is barreling down..... wait.... no, he's golfing

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I was just thinking with Dorian being the fourth storm this was an unusually light year so far. Katrina was the last week of August IIRC and obviously much later in the alphabet. 2005 was bonkers though.

In 2005 they ran out of letters and the season didn't end until 2006. It was utterly ridiculous.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    urahonky wrote: »

I couldn't watch either video entirely. I was literally about to cry hearing that lady plead for people to pray for her and her children. The despair in her voice was overwhelming accompanied by what the video was showing.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Is it just me or has the path started shifting a bit closer to the coast? It seemed like yesterday the predicted path would skim Florida from a bit further at sea.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Nitsua wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I couldn't watch either video entirely. I was literally about to cry hearing that lady plead for people to pray for her and her children. The despair in her voice was overwhelming accompanied by what the video was showing.

It gets worse. The word from the Prime Minister's office now is that all rescue efforts have been suspended as the RBDF (colloquially called "the marines") are overwhelmed. The lady from the first video is Gertha Joseph. One of her neighbours got her and the baby out on a makeshift raft to another house, but the storm has now taken the roof off of that house and either the signal has been lost of her phone's battery died and no one has been able to reach her.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the path started shifting a bit closer to the coast? It seemed like yesterday the predicted path would skim Florida from a bit further at sea.

Some of it is the storm is weakening and spreading out to cover more area

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    If this hurricane breaks all laws of physics and crosses Florida's dong and hits Alabama, i will, rage-scream so hard at the smugness that'll emanate from the White House, that I will burst every blood vessel in my brain.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If this hurricane breaks all laws of physics and crosses Florida's dong and hits Alabama, i will, rage-scream so hard at the smugness that'll emanate from the White House, that I will burst every blood vessel in my brain.

Oh don’t worry, Trump just simultaneously both doubled down and backtracked just a bit ago on Twitter.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Just looked at the IR loop https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=05L&product=ir

It is just sitting on the northern coast, just grinding away Grand Bahama.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

Oh don’t worry, Trump just simultaneously both doubled down and backtracked just a bit ago on Twitter.

...this f'n guy. Bets on if he's warming up to toss more paper towels so he could claim he went down and did something while billing FEMA for billions because a chair got nudged out of place at Mar-a-lago?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Legit question with the Bahama's being pounded by this, will there be much of anything that survives such catastrophic devastation? Like this feels almost unprecedented.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

peakofseason.gif

Since there's no normal anymore aside from "terrible and getting worse" it's hard to remember that late August is the start of the biggest peak in the hurricane season.
    Veevee wrote: »
    Just looked at the IR loop https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=05L&product=ir

It is just sitting on the northern coast, just grinding away Grand Bahama.

Dorian has been basically stationary over Grand Bahama Island for hours, and before that was barely moving across it. There are places that have been under the eyewall, the nastiest winds and rain, for over 24 hours, and that's not even counting the storm surge.

640px-GrandBahama_15ft_4p572_shaded.png

This is a topographic map of the island and attached cays. Red is 40 ft in elevation (the highest points), yellow is 20 ft., and green is everything less down to sea level. The storm surge was up to 25 ft, meaning everything in green and much of the yellow is under churning breaking wave-filled water.

I'm worried that the island is mostly going to be wiped off the map, literally, by the time Dorian is done with it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It kinda feels like this is the future of a lot of these islands. Just waiting till the storm comes along that buries the entire thing under water for half a day or more and destroys almost everything.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Legit question with the Bahama's being pounded by this, will there be much of anything that survives such catastrophic devastation? Like this feels almost unprecedented.

I have to imagine this might actually alter the geopgraphy of the islands. Especially based on that map posted just above, that low lying land is just going to be wiped out I would assume. There are too many videos on twitter of water flooding into people’s second floors.

This storm is one of the strongest ever, it’s about 150 miles away from the mainland USA, and it’s been stuck there for 24 hours. Madness.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Guh, the NHC tracks make it sound like there's a chance it will hit Newfoundland while possibly still being a hurricane, depending on where it swings this week.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    These poor people are literally in the ocean

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Holy crap the current NHC forecast shows it hitting Halifax like almost dead on. I know some people that live there and they still remember Juan and the devastation that caused, here's hoping this does not come to pass.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I cannot imagine the level of devistation that is going to be left after this leaves the bahams

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Holy crap the current NHC forecast shows it hitting Halifax like almost dead on. I know some people that live there and they still remember Juan and the devastation that caused, here's hoping this does not come to pass.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the track right now and definitely wouldn't mind if its path decided to swing rather more south than it's currently aiming.

Juan was basically the ideal "we want a storm to be a jerk to Halifax in particular" system - it shifted around a bit en route before sending the eyewall straight up the harbour like it had a grudge against me specifically. It basically spent two or three days preparing to hit us in the most inconveniencing way possible.

0/5 would not recommend.

They're usually only tropical storms by the time they're this far north. Seeing an "H" on the map over Cape Breton is weird and not in a way I appreciate.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Juan was barely a category two by the time it hit us; it just happened to hit us pretty much dead on. And it shut everything in the city down for a week. If Dorian follows Juan’s path, yikes. We don’t really build against hurricanes here.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.