As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] Why do you play? You play because you played of course!

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Whew. Four Ramuhs down. The first was the hardest. The second (the one I recorded above) ended up being the easiest. All the rest had bad Rinoa RNG and ended up needing Maria's AOSB and a turn or two of Rinoa's AASB to close things out. Originally, I was planning doing the alternating ward plus health boon thing, but I'm majorly rethinking that. The argument there was that it specialized them particularly for taking on magicite since you want eg Titan and Ramuh vs Ramuh, but then you want to bring an offensive elemental magicite too, and at the moment, aside from my Adamantoise who I shoved a Heal Boon onto, all my offensive ones are currently tripled up on the elemental boon.

Rather than having this be my setup (with the last being what gets subbed out once one clear is done):
    6* offensive magicite (Boon/Blade/HP)
    5* offensive magicite (Elem Boon x2/Healing)
    Madeen phys/mag (Surge + Atk/Deadly or Mag/Mag)
    Generic defensive (Blade/Spell/HP)
    5* def magicite (Elem Resist x2/HP) --> 6* defensive magicite (Resist/Spell/HP)

That gives...
    Init: Elem Boon x3, Blade x2, Spell x1, HP x3, Resist x2, Healing x1, Surge x1
    End: Elem Boon x3, Blade x2, Spell x2, HP x3, Resist x1, Healing x1, Surge x1

I'm thinking it's better for my setup to be:

6* magicite offensive (Boon x2/HP)
    Madeen phys/mag
    Madeen defensive (Blade/Spell)
    Generic defensive
    5* def magicite (Elem Resist x2/HP) --> 6* magicite defensive (Elem boon/Healing)

Which gives
    Init: Boon x2, Blade x2, Spell x2, HP x3, Surge x2, Resist x2
    End: Boon x2, Blade x2, Spell x2, HP x2, Healing x1, Surge x2, Resist x1 (+1 wasted off-element boon)

That sacrifices a tiny bit of elemental defense, but that stacks with all the other sources, so not a huge deal, and like, 2% elemental power, but a huge gain in the extra surging power. Losing a little healing (or HP, depending on the back and forth) could be bad too, but I've got two of the better healer AASBs now, so I... think I'm okay? I may need to farm a buttload of Lakshmis though.

Thinking is complicated.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So Leviathan's phase 1 isn't nearly as bad as Ramuh's, but his Rage 3 is so much damage reduction n phase 2, I can't crack him with Shantotto AASB, and he keeps jumping up to Rage 3 from certain attacks plus losing HP%, that Titan can't keep him at Rage 2 long enough for Shantotto to attack.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The fact that you need to race to get him to a certain point before he goes “screw all y’all; 10 seconds left” is also annoying.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Hmmm. As I look through Leviathan clears, I'm thinking I may want to pick up Ashe's enLit LMR. I do have Shantotto's, plus Ashe's glint, so I can get to two enLits fast enough to spawn the minimum two bubbles I need for survival, but that LMR would take a bunch of pressure off, and I could use the stacking of the glint to make sure Ashe's damage stays rolling. I really don't like that early diffusion, but no diffusion when entering phase 3 is nice. I also didn't realize that I shattered Hell Thunder at some point. That was dumb of me.

E:
    Also, apparently we're getting a collab with Exvius.

d71f02bb-1777-331d-a1cd-4f80e0687a26.png

Quick summary of Japan report:
    Exvius collab with Rain/Fina/Lasswell. First TWO draws on their banner are half price.
    FFXIII event featuring Snow, Lightning, and Fang
    FF3 event featuring Ingus, Luneth, Onion, and Refia
    Memories of... Something. 5* motes and accessories and stuff. Think this is a reissue.
    FFV event featuring Krile, Galuf, Bartz, and Faris.
    FF7 event featuring Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith.
    Torment 3.0 Raines (already out), 2x head dragon (FF3, Onion gets extra dress record), and Ultima Weapon (FF7, Tifa gets extra dress record).
    FFXII Gilgamesh is the new pseudo-Odin boss with variable whatevers depending on REALM of whoever hits him first.
    New 6*s are fire/ice samurai and 5 hit water spellblade.
    Valentine Dream select for certain ladies for Valentines.
    Lucky Draw for limited set of realms (3, 5, 9, 13, T). First time is half price, but draw three times (ie 125 mythril total) and get a free realm limit chain.
    Permanent gem-only Limit select set is being updated/improved.
    Valentine login bonus.
    Realm dungeon half stamina.
    Twitter stamina refresh campaign as usual.
    Double greens.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Cripes, and still nothing in sight for XI or XIV. There's plenty of expansions for XI they could do and they're three expansions behind on XIV and still going strong...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Why tap into any of those games when they still have more Type-0 characters and Bartz relics to squeeze out? :P

• Options
    Why tap into any of those games when they still have more Type-0 characters and Bartz relics to squeeze out? :P

FF6 still has playable characters that haven't been added, to say nothing Cid and Gestahl.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I can understand why VII is getting attention- but it just seems like every time they need to get more events and more relics they go back to the old wells of III, V, IX, and XIII again. I mean, good freaking grief, does Bartz need a BSB for every fucking element out there?

Why not give us a Stormblood event and introduce Krile (FFXIV), Alisaie, Gosetsu, Fordola, Zenos, Hien, Yotsuyu... and, of course, a Lyse skin for Yda?

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    ff14 events must do terribly for them or there's just no way they wouldn't do more of them since it's the only game constantly making new stuff

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    It could be that it's a live game, so has red tape they have to go through to use stuff from it that older games don't, and I can see FFXIV devs being bitchy about a game that spoils stuff in its animations/soul breaks, making it annoying enough for both that they generally just don't want to try.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Uh. Are there missing characters from the main cast of 6? I thought they were all in.

Leviathan problems: let me preach you the gospel of Reraise. It definitely solves the doom=10 problem. It might also solve the two characters getting killed right at the start problem at the same time. I know I've seen a run where someone reraised past the two doom 5s, but I think they turned on the afterburners and skipped the doom 10.

Can't help you with damage, though. I had prompto stack up maximum imperil, massive chain, plus Tyro crits.

Fry on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Fry wrote: »
    Uh. Are there missing characters from the main cast of 6? I thought they were all in.

Leviathan problems: let me preach you the gospel of Reraise. It definitely solves the doom=10 problem. It might also solve the two characters getting killed right at the start problem at the same time. I know I've seen a run where someone reraised past the two doom 5s, but I think they turned on the afterburners and skipped the doom 10.

Can't help you with damage, though. I had prompto stack up maximum imperil, massive chain, plus Tyro crits.

Alan Moore, and if you really want to stretch a point, Biggs, Wedge, ghosts, and a pack of moogles.

I haven't taken any serious shots at Leviathan since getting my Ramuh. I had DMT on Ashe originally and was using her USB2 for early QC, but I don't know that I like that strategy much. I'm pretty sure there are a couple I saw that I can duplicate if I pick up the init enLit relic. There aren't a lot of lightning characters to start with, especially in the magic department, and while I don't have Ashe's sync, Totto and Ashe are powerhouses all the same.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I can understand why VII is getting attention- but it just seems like every time they need to get more events and more relics they go back to the old wells of III, V, IX, and XIII again. I mean, good freaking grief, does Bartz need a BSB for every fucking element out there?

Why not give us a Stormblood event and introduce Krile (FFXIV), Alisaie, Gosetsu, Fordola, Zenos, Hien, Yotsuyu... and, of course, a Lyse skin for Yda?

At the rate we're going, Bartz is gonna get a Bio Spellblade SASB before XIV even gets a single Sync.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Darklyre wrote: »
    JaysonFour wrote: »

At the rate we're going, Bartz is gonna get a Bio Spellblade SASB before XIV even gets a single Sync.

Alphinaud already got a sync in the 5th Anniversary fest come end of March.
    https://ffrk-movie.static.sp.mbga.jp/soul_strike/11400600/20190921_CfzNAaBbzdk.mp4

XI is the only one without one, not counting Beyond or KH.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    We just got fucking Genesis, and XIV doesn’t have Alisaie, Urianger, or a single villain character yet.

• Options
    This is the Leviathan clear I think works best as my blueprint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmI1pmnIJC0

I've got all the tech there (now that I lens-bought Ashe's LMR) except for Garnet's enLit LMR, which just serves to spawn a third bubble at the start, which isn't needed, and it also does a few suboptimal things, like targeting Leviathan with SBs for tickle damage instead of bubbles. I was thinking Penelo and Y'shtola would doubleteam the healing and provide their two flavors of fast cast, but Ashe is SB hungry at the start and wants that extra entrust to get fully online and bringing the pain, and Leviathan definitely doesn't need as much healing as Ramuh, so Rosa can probably handle it, and I have her glint and USB1, so if she ends up with extra meter, I could get cheeky and set up a blink to avoid one of those 75% HP things or a Primal Essence. I can close out a little better than that run too with Ashe and Totto's AOSBs.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, Leviathan does not do a whole lot of damage. Elarra solo heals it pretty well for me, I have Tyro entrust her late in the fight, but that's mostly insurance.

The one tricky part, healingwise, is right after the party reraises due to p1t19 Suffocating Water Cannon. p1t20 Imperial Tidal Wave will break the damage cap, and I was not successful at getting Divine Veil Grimoire back up in time on the occasions I tried it. It worked much better for me to have Elarra Awakening to give myself a Last Stand for the Tidal Wave, and then immediately USB to heal in time for p1t21 Primal Essence. After that, the healing is pretty straightforward.

I had at least one run where, due to doublecast luck, I pushed the phase transition before p1t19 forced a simultaneous reraise. That made things...interesting, but Elarra Awakening helped to paper over that awkwardness.

• Options
    I'm planning on not using Reraise. I'm relatively confident that I can beat the timers like in the video above.

Also, started looking at some Shiva videos and oof. She's tanky as all shit, and Gilgamesh provides no imperil whatsoever. Legitimately almost feel that Elena with the free chain being able to do so might make her better suited for it. I'm not close on either magical or physical though, and even lucking into Noctis's sync doesn't look like it'd cinch things. Found one BARELY win using both Noctis and Locke's syncs, and that's just... a lot of power to barely scrape through.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Welp. Don't think I'll have this kind of luck again for a while.

Did my daily draw- huh, it's... shaking?

Shantotto Chain. I've heard this is a part of some teams used to clear rather difficult content- and another chain is always helpful. Hey, waitaminute... don't I still have my 15-mythril XI realm lucky draw, and 18 mythril on hand?

Eh, let's shake it and see what falls out...

3/11, two disco.

Lilisette BSB- okay, it's something, and it's a potential source of wind damage, which seems to be hard to come by...

Ayame USB - Combined with something that could jack up her crit rate, well... that could be fun to play with. EnIce and major Retaliate, too...

Shantotto Awakening. Welp, I suppose I needed a witch sooner or later, and having the Awakening and Chain for Shantotto pretty much means I'm going to be going with her. I don't think she's completely viable as a character just as of yet, but... Chain/Awakening is a damn solid start.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Honestly, Shantotto can probably work wonders with just that. Maybe grab her USB from the lens shop to use after she runs out of Awakening.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Holy shit. Talk about crappy luck. Well. Tried two pulls. Got all the Glints (Leo, Wolfie and Galuf) and a Leo LMR. Keep in mind, no Earth Chain nor any good USBs for Leo and Galuf. Yup, I'm not killing Ramuh anytime soon lol.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    yolofuckit pull.

2/11, no disco
    Leo enEarth LMR
    Kelger enEarth LMR

Pity. Galuf glint would have actually helped my team immensely. Also I missed that Galuf enEarth LMR wasn't on it, WHOOPS thought it was.

• Options
    Sigh.

0Nen88E.png

Well, it only took about 6 tries to get the starting sequence down and then a few more after that to get to magic pixel, and there were at least three things I could've done better that would have meant at least a little more damage, and I don't need much. I hadn't realized in that video above that if Leviathan got just one more turn in phase 2, it would use another attack that strips another 5 seconds off the doom counter, so if you don't get lucky with Ashe multi-casts in the middle, you lose another whole turn cushion and the middle character is screwed regardless.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Guaranteed two 5 stars is no help of course, if you just get the same LMR twice. Screw this banner.

Maytag on
    3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    What does Fang's LM2 do? One hit? Imperil anything? Is this worth getting? I have her awakening I just noticed but I've never used her.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    What does Fang's LM2 do? One hit? Imperil anything? Is this worth getting? I have her awakening I just noticed but I've never used her.

35% chance to chase with 4 PHY(DRG) Wind/Non hits @ 0.54.

It's not nothing, but it's vastly inferior to another 5 or 6* ability as a follow-up.

I'd dive her if you plan to use her as a matter of course, but her LMRs are probably better.

• Options
    It's not as good as a real doublecast, but it's better than no doublecast at all

• Options
    Oh fuck off.

Fighting Leviathan. I manage to get Elarra an air bubble after “fuck off, you all have 10 seconds” so she’s poised to be the only one to survive suffocating waterburst. I see the attack go off and activate her Awakening to revive everyone. Everyone’s Doom counter hits 0, and Elarra triggers her soul break between the timers hitting 0 and everyone dying! So the party gets healed, Raise hits nobody because nobody’s dead yet, Last Stand is provided, and then everyone dies. The one time instant is fast enough, and it gets the party killed.

Fuck off, you soggy overcooked piece of macaroni.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Enlong wrote: »
    Oh fuck off.

Fighting Leviathan. I manage to get Elarra an air bubble after “fuck off, you all have 10 seconds” so she’s poised to be the only one to survive suffocating waterburst. I see the attack go off and activate her Awakening to revive everyone. Everyone’s Doom counter hits 0, and Elarra triggers her soul break between the timers hitting 0 and everyone dying! So the party gets healed, Raise hits nobody because nobody’s dead yet, Last Stand is provided, and then everyone dies. The one time instant is fast enough, and it gets the party killed.

Wow, that is some hotmoist garbage.

(I'm telling you though, just R3 Reraise. You don't even have to aim it, just cast it 5x at the start of battle on whatever turns you don't need to medica. Keep Elarra and Tyro on standby for Suffocating Water Cannon so they can immediately act when reraised)

Fry on
  • Options
    Oh fuck off.

(I'm telling you though, just R3 Reraise. You don't even have to aim it, just cast it 5x at the start of battle on whatever turns you don't need to medica. Keep Elarra and Tyro on standby for Suffocating Waterburst so they can immediately act when reraised)

I'm getting out of Phase 1 without seeing that. Is it later?

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Oh fuck off.

(I'm telling you though, just R3 Reraise. You don't even have to aim it, just cast it 5x at the start of battle on whatever turns you don't need to medica. Keep Elarra and Tyro on standby for Suffocating Waterburst so they can immediately act when reraised)

Phase 1, turn 17 (Rage of the Deep) sets all the doom timers to 10, then p1t19 (Suffocating Water Cannon) comes along to give everyone -10 doom count at the same time. That's a great time to have everyone reraise, if you're doing a reraise strat.

If you push phase between those two attacks, you can just stop healing for a bit and have folks reraise due to damage from p2t1 or p2t3, or wait for p2t4 to snuff Doom timers. The drawback is that, if you reraise in phase 2, timers are set to 30 seconds, whereas if you reraise in phase 1 you get 60 seconds.

If you push phase before turn 17, either keep pushing and just win, or slow down and do the reraise thing, I guess

Fry on
  • Options
    Oh fuck off.

Phase 1, turn 17 (Rage of the Deep) sets all the doom timers to 10, then p1t19 (Suffocating Water Cannon) comes along to give everyone -10 doom count at the same time. That's a great time to have everyone reraise, if you're doing a reraise strat.

If you push phase between those two attacks, you can just stop healing for a bit and have folks reraise due to damage, or wait for those 10 seconds to expire. The drawback is that, if you reraise in phase 2, timers are set to 30 seconds, whereas if you reraise in phase 1 you get 60 seconds.

With Ashe USB1/Elarra USB/Garnet Chain + BSB2/Totto USB/Palom USB I'm pushing phase 1 about 2 turns before the set Doom to 10 second move. My problem has been an inability to keep Rage below 3 at the start of phase 2, and getting obliterated in short order.

• Options
    I do have Porom with her Reraise USB as an option. Or maybe Mog with Reraise. But if I’m going to be taking the Rage hit, then I need to wrangle up a second Lightning aura early on so that I don’t need to use a second Fabula Guardian early on. Thankfully, Desch can Wrath.

Alternatively, Tyro with Reraise could do something. Would need to give Dispel to a Damage dealer in that case.

• Options
    Oh fuck off.

If you push phase between those two attacks, you can just stop healing for a bit and have folks reraise due to damage, or wait for those 10 seconds to expire. The drawback is that, if you reraise in phase 2, timers are set to 30 seconds, whereas if you reraise in phase 1 you get 60 seconds.

With Ashe USB1/Elarra USB/Garnet Chain + BSB2/Totto USB/Palom USB I'm pushing phase 1 about 2 turns before the set Doom to 10 second move. My problem has been an inability to keep Rage below 3 at the start of phase 2, and getting obliterated in short order.

Hmm, yeah, I could see how that might be a problem, particularly if you don't have multiple Awakening/Syncs to keep the rage levels broken, since you probably want RW wall in that setup (so no Fabula Mage). Maybe Ashe can throw some OSBs to help? Leviathan is kind of a dick, in that he gives himself +2 rage on p2t1 (probably putting him to 3), and then he gets +2 rage at both 61% and 51%, in addition to +1s on p2t3, p2t6, and p2t9.

• Options
    Oh fuck off.

Hmm, yeah, I could see how that might be a problem, particularly if you don't have multiple Awakening/Syncs to keep the rage levels broken, since you probably want RW wall in that setup (so no Fabula Mage). Maybe Ashe can throw some OSBs to help? Leviathan is kind of a dick, in that he gives himself +2 rage on p2t1 (probably putting him to 3), and then he gets +2 rage at both 61% and 51%, in addition to +1s on p2t3, p2t6, and p2t9.

Yeah Totto is my only AASB, which I thought would be better for later in the fight.

The general flow of the fight is I need to refresh Chain around the P1->2 transition, and then after that Garnet Dispels, but in the mean time Totto cannot break Rage 2 or 3 by herself, which leads to a lot of wasted turns.

• Options
    I've been watching some 6* Ifrit clears to psych myself up, since I assume that will be arriving soon. Fight actually doesn't look that bad, considering that it summons four pillars every phase, which you have to kill most of (though you probably can't do it via AOE or that character is just toast)

This clear made me WTF, and then laugh:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGAonAt4b4w

Lunafreya, Dr Mog, and Strago are all pretty stacked in this mage team clear. But Cloud is here for some reason?
    As far as I can tell, his whole purpose is to USB1 -> SSB to clear all of the phase 3 pillars, so that Lunafreya doesn't with her summons.

Remember good ol' Blade Beam? Apparently this FFRKer remembers.

• Options
    Yeah. Ifrit looks not bad, and there's one pretty poverty clear based in Edge AASB I think I can perfectly replicate (but need to check what they used for healers). Shiva looks like a nightmare though. She's tanky as shit, heals herself, and uses both proshellga and barFires. Also, the adds are super tanky too, so a pain in every way.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Haha, well that strategy’s a non-starter.

I was gonna try to use Garnet in place of Desch, but I need to use her USB for Enlightning early on to get enough air bubbles to let my DPSers survive. Problem is, Garnet’s USB makes her periodically, and without input, cast a summoning spell that hits every enemy. And the timing works out such that she kills all the bubbles before Curse of the Deep even activates, so that wouldn’t even work by putting her in one of those spots.

So it’s back to Desch until I have another Enlightning LMR.

• Options
    Urgh. This is so deceptively frustratingly obnoxious. Spent an entire hour (on exercise bike) bashing my head against Leviathan and realized how actually fragile that setup is in multiple places. Ashe needs at least one doublecast once her AASB goes up in phase 1 (2 chances), or I need to use the second Ramuh slightly early to reach phase 2 right as Shantotto runs her Lunatic Thunders dry because she needs to get going in her AASB as quickly as possible after the second diffusion. But Ashe also needs a doublecast or two in phase 2 or I run into an extra doom drain. I also need to be super careful with Rosa's meter. There are a couple points where I need to flirt right with the very edge, and be very aware of the phase 3 transition because that comes with a 75% current HP nuke that needs to be healed after or people start dying. I did have two more runs that could've been wins, but one I fucked up and thought I had transitioned to phase 3 and healed right before the gravity nuke then Totto died before I could get the meter up to heal again, and another, I accidentally used Ashe's glint instead of her AOSB. Blegh.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I got another daily hit, 6 star glint for Edge. It seems alright I guess? It's not exciting, but probably combined with grabbing his SSB with lenses it could be useful?

I think that's 7 out of 72 since I came back? Something like that.

steam_sig.png