As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Squad sub leaders!

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    pukei weapons seem to get really early purple sharpness so that could be a factor if you're running handicraft

it's probably a fairly even trade. both kulu and pukei weapons seem weirdly busted for being low-tiers. i guess the idea is that they're super good early but cap out sooner than the other monsters.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Hmmm. I guess I'll probably use the Kulu weapon since it has better ~~aesthetics~~ (it matches my kinsect) and swap to pukei if I'm fighting something I know is especially weak to poison

Is there anyone who is like, really weak to poison like there is in the base game?

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDSnG4ANDvo

look at this little shit ass right here

i was raging

• Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    Some of new monsters that constantly jump/charge. Narci, barioth tigrex, barci
    Really frustrating to fight in open spaces. I've been using long sword, hammer and charged shelling builds. Anyone have tips?

• Options
    i feel like narg is the easiest of tigrex/barioth/narg, which i feel like says a lot

all three are absolute nightmares

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    This conversation makes me so happy.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    i legitimately don't know how to hit tigrex in the face

you can't get to the side of him because his wings block the hammer. if you're in front him

omae wa mou shindeiru

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Speaking of the Nargacuga bonus, thanks to @Elendil 's sets above, I've put together something that is A. very pretty and B. very functional so far

Nightshade Lomu Head, Narga Chest, arms, legs, Odo waist

Exploiter 2 charm, filling slots, and stacking expert gems gets me to +7 Critical eye, +3 weakness exploit, +3 evade window, airborne, elementless boost

One thing I'm having trouble deciding between is this- I have the Kulu IG maxed out, it has a base of 20% affinity. With critical eye +7 I'm at base 60% affinity, and with weakness exploit I'm in the 80-90% range depending on whether I hit a weak point or a wounded area

With airborne and a glaive, I'm PRETTY sure that all aerial attacks count as hitting "weak points" (or at least all weak points are on the back?)

The point is, I'm critically hitting ALL THE TIME, and it feels great, plus the Narga bonus keeps my sharpness white for a long time, especially when I'm flying around hitting hard parts on the back

What I can't decide, because I can't remember the math on this....I can sacrifice a bunch of raw (about 50 points) and some affinity if I use the pukei-pukei glaive...notably this glaive has poison damage, and more slots, which lets me get a few attack up gems in there as well as one rank of critical boost

So, my question is this- A poison glaive with less raw and affinity, but one rank of critical boost, or a raw damage glaive with higher affinity and raw damage?

any input?

You can try honey hunter's build thing. I don't think it is updated yet for iceborne but you could probably get a rough idea

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    my actual most hated fights so far have been rathalos and shrieking legiana

just absolutely toxic fights with the nerfed flash pods. no idea what the counterplay is supposed to be when they just hover around for twenty minutes at a time, never getting staggered out of the air.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Elendil wrote: »
    my actual most hated fights so far have been rathalos and shrieking legiana

just absolutely toxic fights with the nerfed flash pods. no idea what the counterplay is supposed to be when they just hover around for twenty minutes at a time, never getting staggered out of the air.

I say this with no irony or smarminess, but use a ranged weapon. That Shreiking Leg fight is a slog with CB too.

I also think they should have made part breaks more important in this one. Break a wing, the monster cant fly. Break a leg, monster cant jump around.

webber on
    This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So credits roll up, enjoyed everything the main story had to offer. The last battle was interesting.

Now the endgame content! \o/

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Master rank Tempered Black Diablos can get fuuuucked.

She just did her tunnelling attack 5 times in a row when I was out of Screamer Pods and any one of them can one shot me from full HP.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rakeeth wrote: »
    Some of new monsters that constantly jump/charge. Narci, barioth tigrex, barci
    Really frustrating to fight in open spaces. I've been using long sword, hammer and charged shelling builds. Anyone have tips?

Stop chasing them. Number one mistake you make is to try and run after them half the time, because you spend the downtime between attacks trying to reach them while the AI decides to charge where you were.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

She just did her tunnelling attack 5 times in a row when I was out of Screamer Pods and any one of them can one shot me from full HP.

Yeah... yeah, that sounds like Blackie.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Wait, did they nerf flashpods to not knock fliers out of the air?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The answer to all the cat boys is make a lance just for hem then move back to your preferred weapon

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I loved hunting the cats in MHGU with Valor Long Sword. Just guard point and counter nonstop. Speaking of GU I loaded it up on a roadtrip the other day and took down the Diablos urgent.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

absolutely fuck this monster

just took me 32 goddamn minutes to do a capture

fucking waste of time

• Options
    evade extender/attack jewel

switch axeing intensifies

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    be like me, a god tier scrub, and slap rathalos in the legs with GS with incredible accuracy

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Man I'm just plowing through. Drops haven't been very kind to me so I'm just scraping by maybe building a single armor piece + charms plus my hoard of decorations per fight. Post Velkhana now and haven't triple carted yet but I'm about to hit the first monster that first triple carted me back in World.
    Vaal

Let's see what new tricks he has this time.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    i've failed two quests so far: a rathalos investigation and now a black diablos one. i've had a couple of close calls (i think i carted four times on an uragaan at one point thanks to insurance procs and barioth was a nailbiter) but otherwise i've pulled through. most stuff hasn't given me a ton of trouble.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Beat the story, yay

Now to make a META set

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

Yeah, just had a stupid fight with the first variant legiana, and there was a second legiana just because. That fight was tedious with the hammer and the nerfed flash pods.

I've found a few fights with this rage craze in Iceborne pretty tedious at times, just dodging and sitting back and then using that claw for the head hit. Repeat forever /yawn
    Beside that, it's been a blast.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    All you Zinogre fans are not going to be disappointed.

Literally a powerhouse of salty tears.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

Kinda, it makes them fall but they don't go into a disabled state, and usually just jump back up to flying.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I'm such a wuss. I'm at Valkhana but I can't pull the trigger on the fight until I have a PERFECT anti-ice set. God, this game...

In other news, my two main sets so far are my main set: Royal Burst+ with uragaan/rathian mix armor with High Metal B+ tassets that gives me:

Guard Up (from Uragaan set bonus)
    Poison Extend (from Rathian set bonus)
    Guard (maxed)
    Protective Polish (for those looping full blast combos that ruin sharpness)
    Speed Sharpen (max - to quickly activate Protective Polish)
    Artillery (max)
    Capacity (from the High Metal tassets)
    With some bonus health, 1 point of poison attack and other misc. skills that I can't recall at the moment.

Pretty happy with this. The only extra skill I would want is Evade Extender to make closing in with my Shield-Hop more efficient but, overall, feeling pretty solid.

I also went ahead and farmed up a complete Tigrex armor set, because I had it in mind to add wide-range to it and build a full eating support set.

Question is, do I go Hunting Horn to be a mega buff bot, or SnS so that I can take advantage of all the eating buffs without having to sheathe, allowing for probably higher overall personal utility and DPS. Thoughts?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Huh

Didn't realize there were a lot of event quests, active now in low and high rank, that offer layered armor crafting materials as a reward

I guess...I guess I need to do some of them???

• Options
    I'm beating up on low/high rank monsters to get mats for weapons that are supposedly awesome in MR. That way I won't have to be searching for rath rubys etc.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'm such a wuss. I'm at Valkhana but I can't pull the trigger on the fight until I have a PERFECT anti-ice set. God, this game...

In other news, my two main sets so far are my main set: Royal Burst+ with uragaan/rathian mix armor with High Metal B+ tassets that gives me:

Guard (maxed)
    Artillery (max)
    With some bonus health, 1 point of poison attack and other misc. skills that I can't recall at the moment.

Pretty happy with this. The only extra skill I would want is Evade Extender to make closing in with my Shield-Hop more efficient but, overall, feeling pretty solid.

I also went ahead and farmed up a complete Tigrex armor set, because I had it in mind to add wide-range to it and build a full eating support set.

Question is, do I go Hunting Horn to be a mega buff bot, or SnS so that I can take advantage of all the eating buffs without having to sheathe, allowing for probably higher overall personal utility and DPS. Thoughts?

Protective polish works with GL? I remember testing it and shelling went through sharpness anyways.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Guard (maxed)
    Artillery (max)

Protective polish works with GL? I remember testing it and shelling went through sharpness anyways.

It sure does! I use it all the time! Doesn't last super long, but that's what quick sharpen is for!

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I had my first true "oh shit!" moment of Iceborne the other day when I was doing an optional quest in the Ancient Forest and Velkhana just swooped in out of nowhere like, "Sup motherfuckers?"

It's so nice to be surprised again.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    just as an FYI, apparently the resuscitate skill just outright hard counters iceblight, so if you're worried about the blight, rather than building for blight or elemental resistance just toss a crisis jewel in there.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    just as an FYI, apparently the resuscitate skill just outright hard counters iceblight, so if you're worried about the blight, rather than building for blight or elemental resistance just toss a crisis jewel in there.

resuscitate is also good for a lot of other blights also, add that to crisis and you get immensely powerful against monsters with chip damage.

camo_sig.png
  • Options

Guard (maxed)
    Artillery (max)

So, no opinions on Horn v. SnS for a wide-range food-based buff set? Does mushroomancer work with wide-range?

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

Guard (maxed)
    Artillery (max)

So, no opinions on Horn v. SnS for a wide-range food-based buff set? Does mushroomancer work with wide-range?

SNS. And Muahromancer does work with wide range but not the big mega potion mushrooms.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Guard (maxed)
    Artillery (max)

it does work with WW

as for horn or sns, my buddy was running dodo horn with his tigrex buff set

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

Guard (maxed)
    Artillery (max)

SNS. And Muahromancer does work with wide range but not the big mega potion mushrooms.

Thanks!

That said, with Tigrex's 75% free meal, it feels as though I might as well just go regular potions, that way I can use Mega Demon/Armor drugs + pills, since I've also got max gobbler which means drinking those happens basically just as fast as eating a mushroom. While bringing a horn gives the opportunity to give some other buffs you can't just get from potions (like earplugs and wind resist), I feel the mobility and utility of SnS might be more fun for me, not to mention I'd have to find room to slot maestro. If I get a paralyze or poison sword that's an additional layer of support I can provide the team.

Plus I'm probably slightly less likely to steal @Arch's mounts this way, maybe, we'll see ;)