As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Squad sub leaders!

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    cB557 wrote: »
    (The dragon element is actually highly linked to intelligence in Monster Hunter, or implied to be. This is one of the ways you can tell Odo is a moron, as he's super resistant... and very, very overconfident about fighting everything and anything. Good liddle murder puppy)
    Oh, weird. I had always thought of dog as smarter than he looked, with the way his armor's perks focus around precise strikes and maintaining sharpness.

No, he's pretty stupid. The biggest evidence of this is that he will attack just about anything (waste of energy) including elder dragons (Waste of a good life). Pretty much everything that isnt an elder-dragon level threat gets the hell out of dodge when an Elder shows up. part of the whole reason we hunt them because they're such ecosystem wreckers.

Odo though? Odo is all LET ME AT THEM LET ME AT THEM I CAN TAKE EM IM GONNA GET EM LET ME AT EM *ends up as squeaky toy*. I belive he's in the category that of monsters that will go "! meat! YAY!" and chowdown, no matter the source (Deviljho does this too). Most other monsters are "...yeah, i saw you put that down, haha, nooo"

His armor's theme is arugably more about ripntear goodness, and maintaing that, in intimation of odo's double-clawed feet (Those are SO FUCKED UP). Ebony Odo might be smarter, but i'n not actually sure what the lore behind Ebony Odo is

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Isn't Deviljho Both dumb as a rock and also dragon element, though?

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that Capcom may be preparing a new Dragon's dogma game using the MHW engine, or at least a modified version of it.

The clutch claw mechanics really do feel like they came from DD.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    So on my new PC run, I am finally at MR Iceborne content, so wholly novel territory to me (only played on PS4 og MHW).

I have some questions for the bow users out there -- what are the go to elemental bows for each element? I'd like to populate my wishlists and get an idea of what to farm.

I'm kind of slow rolling my play, because I am gaming with some friends so I don't know if I'll be able to get to the new siege so assume I won't be doing Safi'jiva.

Similarly what's a good Master Rank base armor set for Bow, that's usable for a good stretch before Silver Rathalos?

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    user wrote: »
    So on my new PC run, I am finally at MR Iceborne content, so wholly novel territory to me (only played on PS4 og MHW).

I have some questions for the bow users out there -- what are the go to elemental bows for each element? I'd like to populate my wishlists and get an idea of what to farm.

I'm kind of slow rolling my play, because I am gaming with some friends so I don't know if I'll be able to get to the new siege so assume I won't be doing Safi'jiva.

Similarly what's a good Master Rank base armor set for Bow, that's usable for a good stretch before Silver Rathalos?

Bow is still primarily an elemental weapon, so pre-silver rath do two pieces of Velkhana armor for the elemental bonus. Usually with some of namielle for stamina fun, and the yian garuga legs because those go in everything.

Narbus on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Icebourne is completed and I am coming to the point where I'm trying to hunt specific monsters for certain sets (where are you Black Diablos!), but even if I find the monsters....decorations seem to be the major roadblock, really.

What's the best way to farm these?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Isn't Deviljho Both dumb as a rock and also dragon element, though?

I always took deviljho as probably intelligent if it wasn't always ragingly hungry. It's always had elements of the tragic monster driven insane by it's hunger to me.

Which may just be splitting hairs. Some of this is probably fanon too - there does seem to be an intentional correlation between use of the dragon element/dragon resistance and intelligence, but there's exceptions like Jho (Weak to dragon, uses dragon, quesitaonbly intelligent).

@Bizazedo Depends if you're on PC, or on Console.

On PC i strongly recommend installing a mod to alter drop rates to be something reasonable. From there, spending spiritvein solid bones (Fight 2* star tempereds in the guiding lands and collect shinies) to transmute junk decos helps a lot. Whenever an event rolls around, use the Steamworks to pile up tickets, then trade them in - you will get a LOT of decos this way, and a lot of them can then be traded in for something pretty decent, or failing that, as transmutation fodder. Which is still handy.

Beyond that, going after tempered monsters in 2* star or 3* star quests is your best bet.

Also, good news PC hunters! https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/allnews/#scrollTop=0

Title Update 3 is coming on april the 9th. This brings Raging Brachydios and Furious Rajang to PC as well as all the other changes etc. Of note is you can now spend ten times the fuel to get ten times the reward for the same amount of effort at the Steamworks, should you so wish. Nifty!

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I had been hesitant to install mods that adjust drop rates as I didn't even know what I was hunting as of yet, tbh. I'll look up the Steamworks / tickets bit. I know I have some Steam tickets so far, but no idea where to use them.

Yay, Raging Brachydios....! I probably don't have the MR / HR for it yet hah.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Steamworks supercharge is a great idea.

I'm going to start playing more on PS4 I think, just cause. Finally clearing out the achievements is really tempting.

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I had been hesitant to install mods that adjust drop rates as I didn't even know what I was hunting as of yet, tbh. I'll look up the Steamworks / tickets bit. I know I have some Steam tickets so far, but no idea where to use them.

Yay, Raging Brachydios....! I probably don't have the MR / HR for it yet hah.

What you'll need deco wise depends a lot on the weapon you're using.

Probably the single biggest ticket deco to get (and one of the hardest ones to find) is Handicraft +4 decos - a 4 slot deco that gives two levels of Handicraft. Crit Eye+4, Attack +4, Agitator+4 are all similarly notable and similarly hard to find - though Agitator +4 is going to drop in value a bit with the coming of Raging Brachy, as you can now make an Agitator +5 charm (That gives you a full 5 skill points in Agitator, enough to max it out if you dont have Agitator Secret)

Beyond that, it really comes down to what you want/need etc. The general end game build advice is to start with a core of Weakness Exploit +3, Crit Boost +3, and from there try and hit 100% affinity. Which is usually done by a mix of adding in Agitator and Crit eye - it varies a lot by what you're trying to achieve and what you want though. (Like my build doesnt use Crit Eye at all, and actually overshoots 100% affinity whenever the monster enrages. Whoops. Not much i can do to fix this up till i get Raging Brachy bits to mix into my armor, however). Having Health Boost +3 is also usually considered mandatory, as it's a very dramatic boost in your ability to survive hits. (Just due to how defense and effective hp works out, etc)

Past that... Like, me i favour going nearly all in on offensive skills (Monsters cant hurt you if they're dead/staggered), but keep Evasion +5 in my set for comfort, as well as currently having Divine Blessing +3. Some people build super tanky builds that can survive just about anything. Some do more utility focused builds. It really depends on what you want and what you enjoy.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Raging Brach and Furious Rajang only require MR 24 to do, so you're good there!

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Oh good, 50 shades is up on PS4 so I can farm them weapons up.

• Options
    Not very far into Master Rank story missions. I am a Mighty Bow less, Bow user, and the monsters are tough SoBs.

Coral Pukei was no joke. Definitely missing my full compliment of Mantles.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Yea I am at coral pukei also. I really need to rethink my armor skills. I'm getting stomped

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    Yea I am at coral pukei also. I really need to rethink my armor skills. I'm getting stomped

I think -- had I known what I was walking into, I would have brought the Waterproof Mantle for sure.

• Options
    Coral is really rough when you first encounter him. Massive, massive damage at that point. (Late MR he's a cute little joke, so yay!)

Waterproof mantle will help a lot, as will upgrading your armor as much as possible. If you can, socket in 3 water res gems, as that will give you a big boost to survability (Remember, Elemental res is % based, so it combos really well with boosting your armor and hp to enable you to survive)

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Don't let Coral get distance between you two. It tends to spam annoying water lasers with alarmingly high frequency.

Run at angles. A lot of the attacks are either directly forward or start forward and then sweep, so that'll give you the best chance of avoiding any damage at all.

Max your water res for sure. Don't consider anything less than Water Resistance 3 to be an option, and try to pick other armor pieces with positive innate Water defense. This will drastically lessen the impact of 2/3 of its attacks.

Coral Pukei is hilariously weak to Poison, so bring that along. Between Poison and all the fights with other monsters it seems to like to get into at MR, I found it dropping a lot faster than the other MR baddies up to that point. If you can, toss on two pieces of MR Rathian armor to add more tics.

Coral likes to stay put and fire tons of attacks forward or in a general forward arc at whatever has its attention. This can make it incredibly vulnerable if it's ignoring you. So, consider bringing along the Shieldspire Stooge.

Finally, as always, don't leave home without Demondrug and Armorskin.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I honestly didn't find much trouble with Coral, but my Charge Blade style is kind of a direct counter to, well, nearly everything a Pukei does.

Brown Tobi and Dark Souls Legiana, on the other hand. Yikes, those were a rough first time.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Do note that honestly he's just a werid bump early - he turns into a chump once your armor and weaponry catch up to speed, and from that point on you can just flatten him. It's just the first time you meet that he's HI IMMA FIRING MAH LASORS *hunter gets carved into chunks*

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Coral is really rough when you first encounter him. Massive, massive damage at that point. (Late MR he's a cute little joke, so yay!)
    tempered coral hits like a tempered elder tbh

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

Man, that has not been my experience. Also he's so so squishy!

...also why are you fighting tempered Coral, what did he do to you, leave him alone he dosent even give good loot

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

Man, that has not been my experience. Also he's so so squishy!

...also why are you fighting tempered Coral, what did he do to you, leave him alone he dosent even give good loot

Wow, that's really rude, d00d.

Coral Pukei's armor set is really cute.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Reading this, I feel like I missed out by having my first fight with Coral Pukei be with a friend.

Since every rematch I've ever had (with decent gear) has just been 'dribble its head for a few minutes then trap' as is Pukei standard (I guess it's standard for all monsters if you're great at the game but I am merely mortal).

• Options
    Personally I had no trouble with coral puke I puked ever.

But I cheat. I play gunlance and cautiously so.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I switched my skills around since I still had maximum might on. Threw health boost 3 back on and also switched to poison and had no problem with coral. Nightshade was annoying though. I have using SnS and he didn't want to land

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I love when nightshade paolumu shoots a stream of gas. It acts like a projectile you can block but blocking it puts you right in it.

• Options
    Nightshade is a terrifically annoying monster whose primary plan for victory is to run out the clock on you. Trivially gaining immunity to its primary schtick means it just boils down to finding opportunities to land actual hits (with certain weapons) and hoping the annoying critter doesn't spend too much time running away.

Game designers need to stop with the binary outcomes of conditions / status effects like this.

Also something that was super fun: Doing a SOS call for Arch-tempered HR Teostra to quickly nab the layered armor set, spending 35 minutes fighting the damn thing, and some clown that joins late goes and carts twice to fail it while it's at near-death in its lair. I can't imagine trying to deal with this nonsense without access to MR gear. It's grueling.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    With the AT guys, back before Iceborne came out, I had individual sets built specifically to take them all down. It's the only way I could get those tickets.

Narbus on
  • Options
    I did AT Vaal the other night. didnt even pack effluvia resist.

He was dead in under ten minutes, poor fucker. (Turns out it's real hard to keep up with the healing output of a greatsword with Health Augment 2 and True Dragonvein Awakening)

• Options
    So I understand the advice about socketing resist jewels! I would love to.

But seeing as how I swapped platforms to play Iceborne, I am horribly and terribly decoration starved. I got some Blaze decos from sacrificing some to the Elder Melder but I literally don't even have 10 spare jewels to give up to get any of the other elemental decos.

What is the best way I can just farm a bunch of decorations in bulk? I don't particularly care for the quality of the jewels -- I just need lots!

Also curious when I unlock the Silver Ticket meld for decos?

I am only about HR 30 and MR 3, so I can't even do 'It's Name is Laviosioth' yet.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    IIRC the HR event quest Triple Threat Throwdown throws piles of garbage decos at you.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    You can equip the botany deco and speedrun the icebloom gathering MR event over and over for 1-3 decos for like 30 seconds of work.

If that's not up, you can capture duffel penguins though it's easier to mess that up so you'll have to wait for the respawn timer to catch the last few. Same rewards.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    You can equip the botany deco and speedrun the icebloom gathering MR event over and over for 1-3 decos for like 30 seconds of work.

If that's not up, you can capture duffel penguins though it's easier to mess that up so you'll have to wait for the respawn timer to catch the last few. Same rewards.

Neat! What is the most efficient Camp to start from for the Iceblooms?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I tend to use Central Camp

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I tend to use Central Camp

Sweet, I just did a few runs of it and the Geologist Charm and one of those 4 Slot Botany Decos make it a cinch!

Thanks.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You can also build necklaces with resists too. If I have to fight Nightshade Paolumu, I just run to camp and put on my sleep resist necklace, because Homey don't play 'dat.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    My strategy for him is to just keep falling asleep and eating attacks until I win because I'm neurotic and if I start fidgeting with decos or item loadouts I'll definitely waste more time on it than I gain back.

• Options
    I'm nowhere near having the stuff I need to put together an optimal build in general, so every single fight is about customizing every armor piece, deco, charm, tool, and the weapon. If it avoids a cart, it's worth the time.

Unless I'm farming LR/HR stuff below tempered elders in difficulty, in which case I have a generic loadout with stuff like the Cleanser tool, because that's definitely not worth the time.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    L8NW7Ws.jpg

If I fight another Lavasioth again, it'll be too fucking soon.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."