As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW Classic] More full servers than Live.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    We killed Onyxia for the first time as a guild. Only had 32 people as well, so it was a big accomplishment! Unfortunately we didn't have time to get back to Domo+Rag, but hopefully next week things are faster and smoother.
    Also I won my T2 helm!
    tkn78k8n3siw.png

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    El Mucho wrote: »
    Hit 60 last night and helped a friend run through Dire Maul for his Dread steed. I got the rogue book thing off of a boss which was a nice little bonus. The core hound also dropped a +15 agility +7 defence necklace that no one else in the group wanted, so I snagged, which was a huge upgrade over some +4 spirit +4 stam thing I'd been wearing since level 30. The dread steed fight was quite fun, I don't have any experience with WoW end game content, despite playing back in the day, so I'm hoping the dungeons have more fights in that vein.

Now to get comfortable with BRD pick pocket runs to slowly earn enough gold to get my own epic.

Find some druid friends and do stealth angerforge runs (i think that's the right one).

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Bullhead wrote: »
    El Mucho wrote: »
    Hit 60 last night and helped a friend run through Dire Maul for his Dread steed. I got the rogue book thing off of a boss which was a nice little bonus. The core hound also dropped a +15 agility +7 defence necklace that no one else in the group wanted, so I snagged, which was a huge upgrade over some +4 spirit +4 stam thing I'd been wearing since level 30. The dread steed fight was quite fun, I don't have any experience with WoW end game content, despite playing back in the day, so I'm hoping the dungeons have more fights in that vein.

Now to get comfortable with BRD pick pocket runs to slowly earn enough gold to get my own epic.

Find some druid friends and do stealth angerforge runs (i think that's the right one).

Yeah, those are decent gold/hr, and everyone is after HoJ.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    A classic story, told in one chat window:

VtHxsnO.png

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I got my Baron cloak the second time I ever saw it, taking it from someone else who'd lost it a half-dozen times

Picking your own party to not compete for your loot is just survival of the fittest

• Options
    That cloak also lasts FOREVER as a melee dps. There's nothing better until AQ40 for rogues at least, unless you get really lucky to get an Azuregos kill and win the roll.
    Cloak of Firemaw has stamina, but the AP is the same as Black Baron for a rogue and the agi pushes it over; Puissant Cape is pretty incredible though.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    its more than twice as good as the next best blue cape for warriors

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Spent the entirety of my play time last night taking a boat to theramore, walking to east feralas to unlock the flight point, then to gadget to unlock the flight point, stoned back to theramore then walked all the way north to ashenvale to unlock the flight point.

Maybe next time I'll try taking and completing a quest.

Nostalgia!

• Options
    my absolute favorite part of playing vanilla again was the fetch quests/mailman quests that had you take those ridiculous paths through the game world to get the next flight path, etc

i enjoyed that more than any quest themepark

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The first bits of travel around Westfall/Redridge/Darkshire trying to secure aid for Lakeshire are pretty great, if you're paying attention to the quest text. Where are all of Stormwind's soldiers? Why are none of them being dispatched anywhere?

And then chasing down the legend of Stalvan Mistmantle is pretty great as well.

I don't really remember things like that after level ~45; the last big world thing is all the stuff that leads up to Zul'Ferrak.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    my absolute favorite part of playing vanilla again was the fetch quests/mailman quests that had you take those ridiculous paths through the game world to get the next flight path, etc

Also you're just a person, not THE HERO OF THE WORLD, SAVIOUR OF AZEROTH, SLAYER OF GODS so going to kill a few skeletons in the graveyard outside town or delivering a letter for the mayor is a perfectly acceptable adventurer-type quest

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    The game world makes so much more sense in vanilla, and you can have proper and enjoyable writing.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    power bloat is kind of hilarious

in everquest we killed all the gods in the fourth expansion

that was 21 expansions and 17 years ago and people now individually have more hps than 1000 full raids did in PoP

but still have to kill all these level 120 beetles for beetle scrotums to unlock the next zone

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    easy way around that is just have a new bbeg instead of going right for the gods and god-adjacent creatures

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

The best achievement I ever got in vanilla was world explorer. Had so much fun just running around finding new places.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

The best achievement I ever got in vanilla was world explorer. Had so much fun just running around finding new places.

Achievements were patched in at the very end of TBC, they were not in vanilla.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They were a good idea until they started making their way into current day raids basically hard moding hard modes with some of the dumb shit they wanted you to do but the raid leaders's pushy completionist friend pushed us to try every single raid day.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    They were a good idea until they started making their way into current day raids basically hard moding hard modes with some of the dumb shit they wanted you to do but the raid leaders's pushy completionist friend pushed us to try every single raid day.

Achievements caused similar problems at the time with all sorts of multiplayer games. Eventually most devs learned to stop putting weird achievements in multiplayer modes.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

Achievements caused similar problems at the time with all sorts of multiplayer games. Eventually most devs learned to stop putting weird achievements in multiplayer modes.

"hey guys I know this is progression but let's do the keep the crazy number of abombs alive for Kel'Thuzad"

We wiped 3 times, and then we succeeded on the 4th try, except we didn't, because right before KT died, a mage opened up with an AOE right on the abombs because I was taking a lot of damage and the healers were basically oom. I refused to try it next week.

• Options

"hey guys I know this is progression but let's do the keep the crazy number of abombs alive for Kel'Thuzad"

We wiped 3 times, and then we succeeded on the 4th try, except we didn't, because right before KT died, a mage opened up with an AOE right on the abombs because I was taking a lot of damage and the healers were basically oom. I refused to try it next week.

Sounds like you had a shitty raid leader tbh.

In retail, our raids don't touch achievements unless it's actually easier to do the encounter that way (which is very rare).
    We schedule specific, achievement-focused raids, bring our best/most-geared characters, and do it all on the easiest difficulty required (i.e. Normal).

• Options

Sounds like you had a shitty raid leader tbh.

In retail, our raids don't touch achievements unless it's actually easier to do the encounter that way (which is very rare).
    We schedule specific, achievement-focused raids, bring our best/most-geared characters, and do it all on the easiest difficulty required (i.e. Normal).

yeah our gm at the time was raid leading the 25 man naxx and it was awful, she wouldn't let the actual raid leader (my ex) do it because she wouldn't just let her friends go (we had more than 25 people in the guild, so cuts had to be made).

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    We did Wrath 10 man hard modes because we were a fixed 10 man crew and had shit down and looted and hey now we got something to strive for together!

But like, you're gonna piss people off if they're not at that point yet.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Hard modes are what you do as a challenge when things are on farm

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I loved the hard modes achievements in Wrath. My static 10 man got all of them and I think the 25 man did as many as we could with the quality/skill of who was there. Some of them were a real pain in the ass that we never did again once we got them though.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

Achievements were patched in at the very end of TBC, they were not in vanilla.

LOL, shows you how much I paid attention to that stuff.

• Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Did a few jump runs last night with some guildies, been trying to get the cloth healing belt off the last boss and crimsoncoyote has been after the bow in there as wwll. Got my belt on our second run but on our first the bow drops, also the compendium of dragon slaying. After a solid minute of "wait is that real?" We forced one of our guilds tanks to take it. Ended up getting that same tank the bow like two runs later. Was a very good night.

Stationary on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I was just going to post this!

We all just kind of sat there in stunned silence. Not only was it out first run, but also the second boss dropped BOTH the bow and the compendium. I feel like I had run it almost 10 times and we hadn't seen either the belt or the bow once.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Sixteen Daggers on Pagle needs pretty much everything except hunters, mages, and prot warriors

if you want to get in on the ground floor, your window won't be open forever! abandon your ridiculously awful pvp servers! embrace the light!

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Last night I was engaged in, and won, the most thrilling of PVP duel types... Capitalism!
    unknown.png
    unknown.png

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There are either the same person or several people begging for you to sell them the Relic Coffer keys [I remember you could as a rogue unlock them but it took forever} on Atiesh

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »
    There are either the same person or several people begging for you to sell them the Relic Coffer keys [I remember you could as a rogue unlock them but it took forever} on Atiesh

I mean, it is objectively one of the most efficient and reliable gold-farms rogues have in classic. I check the AH every time I pass through a town and insta-buy any keys listed at 30s per or less, and if I'm low, consider the listings in the 30-35 range. Its nice to, when nobody's up for running anything, put on a movie and just do some solo coffers for guaranteed money and no worries about getting ganked or competing for spawns.

It's also one of the forms of gold generation that is directly creating gold and injecting it into the economy.

(I may or may not be currently sitting on like 200 keys, so there could be some bias here)

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    Got two tanks their quel'serrar last night on an onyxia pull that ended with like 8 people still alive. It involved one of the two tanks going for his sword D/C'ing at like 10%, getting feared into the whelps and dying and then us having to hold it together until he got back on and could get a brez to drop his sword. The last minute or so of that fight was me dead on the floor just clicking on healers to see who had Mana left and if we were going to make it.

• Options
    DavidDawnDavidDawn Registered User new member
    I have been playing WOW Classic nonstop after the release.

• Options
    Stationary wrote: »
    Got two tanks their quel'serrar last night on an onyxia pull that ended with like 8 people still alive. It involved one of the two tanks going for his sword D/C'ing at like 10%, getting feared into the whelps and dying and then us having to hold it together until he got back on and could get a brez to drop his sword. The last minute or so of that fight was me dead on the floor just clicking on healers to see who had Mana left and if we were going to make it.

I actually believe he was kicked into whelps BEFORE getting D/C'd. The amazing part was he never got feared back into the whelps because he was standing right in front of the whelp opening. He finally reconnected at 2%, so we had to hold DPS until we got him up, he got in position, and a flame breath occurred (she took her sweet time breathing; a mage accidentally pulled threat and a breath went wide right after he dropped the sword, then she did 2 fears before doing another breath that was on-target).

Did we mention it was our first pull of the night too?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    DavidDawn wrote: »

I completely lost interest once i hit 60

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    DavidDawn wrote: »

I completely lost interest once i hit 60

I'm torn. I'm really digging it when I'm quietly smiting satyrs in ashenvale, but the time commitment on leveling and travel just doesn't age as well as some of the other core mechanics. I'm hoping I can hang in there long enough to get in range of SM and start just pugging the shit out of it over and over to break up some of the monotony of mid-level/pre-mount drudgery.

I've really had very little luck putting together dungeon runs past the initial starter dungeons, and when I do get a group together, it's been either people who have no idea what they are doing or who have every idea, including a few extra to share with you about what *you* are doing, usually with a pissy minmaxer attitude. This will get better with guild groups at max level, but it's not very heartening re: the community, especially seeing ridiculous LFG requirements for groups being thrown around IF and SW (everything on reserve, you pay me to tank, and my 2nd box is going to need roll everything as a tax on your stupidity, pleb ---- LFM, PST!).

But eh, this is what we asked for, so it's not really fair to complain. =)

• Options
    Yeah there's a reason I hardly try to do dungeons outside of the guild. It's way too much hassle and I hate people.

Just gotta find someone who'll run you through dungeons over and over.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Well now that I'm 60 I'm probably going to wind down the amount of time I play, but mostly because of I'll be limiting it to during peak US times so I can run dungeons and stuff.

While leveling playing during my arvo was great because it was quiet, and really helped with the speed I was able to level since I was doing the aoe mage thing. Even a little competition would be a hindrance.

The MMO paradox, playing the game trying to avoid the other people.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I know I'm looking forward to getting my 2nd character to level 60 soon (on pace for end of Dec), so that I can also take a step back.

lol I'm fuuuucked because I'm going to be farming and gearing and raiding and pvp

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    And then thinking about your third!

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
This discussion has been closed.