As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Some stray character development questions.

Is it worth training faith/reason on lots of people? The spells seem to come for free inventory and moneywise. Same for authority I guess? Everyone has a battalion slot, might as well equip one and use it.

Do Heavy Armor/Riding/Flying unlock anything on their own or are they strictly for class opening?

Do classes ever start restricting what weapons you can use?

How did you guys develop Claude? He's being pulled in many different directions. I'd like to make him a Lord, which needs swords, but he's naturally good at bows and his budding talent is for axes.

What's the best way to get motivation back up after a bunch of instructing? Does resting restore everyone to full? Or should I have a bunch of meals?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Only the magic classes will be able to actually use spells, unfortunately

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Heavy Armor/Riding/Flying unlocks skills at certain levels, I believe it's the weight- skills for armor, Alert stance for flying (dodge up on enemy turn if you move and then don't act), and I can't remember for riding.

No classes ever restrict weapon usage, but only magic classes can actually use tomes/heals.

For Claude, and pretty much every physical attacker in the game really, when in doubt go Wyvern Rider into Wyvern Lord. It is, by far, the most busted class in the game.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    captaink wrote: »
    Some stray character development questions.

Is it worth training faith/reason on lots of people? The spells seem to come for free inventory and moneywise. Same for authority I guess? Everyone has a battalion slot, might as well equip one and use it.

Battalions are definitely worth it. Whether for the stat boosts, the Gambits, or just fighting monsters (with Gambits). That said, there is no class that has an Authority requirement, so for me, Authority is kind of a tertiary concern until I've got everyone in the Class I want them in. But then, people also level Authority just by doing stuff while having a Battalion equipped, so why not?

Faith/Reason is less worth it, I think. Not every character class can use Magic, after all. Actually, most character classes can't use Magic. So putting effort into teaching someone Magic spells that they're not gonna be able to use is kind of a wasted effort. Besides, a lot of physical characters have pretty terrible magic lists, never learning anything more than a few basic spells.

That said... there are a few late-game hybrid classes, so for those physical units who have surprisingly decent magic, investing in their Reason or Faith might be worth it if you want to aim for Mortal Savant, Holy Knight, or Dark Knight. Lorenz particularly seems to have been made for the Dark Knight class.

Do Heavy Armor/Riding/Flying unlock anything on their own or are they strictly for class opening?

Heavy Armor gives -Weight skills, which makes it so that characters are less slowed down by their heavier weapons and get better at doubling opponents.

Riding gives an +Dexterity skill, and, much later on, an extra point of Movement.

Flying gives people a skill that gives them more Evade when they Wait.

They're all nice to have.

Do classes ever start restricting what weapons you can use?

Kind of.

As mentioned, only classes that explicitly mention they can use Magic can use Magic, and most classes can't use Magic.

Pure Magic classes, Mounted units, and Flying units, cannot use Brawling weapons.

What's the best way to get motivation back up after a bunch of instructing? Does resting restore everyone to full? Or should I have a bunch of meals?

Plentiful meals are probably the most straightforward way.

There's also gifts. Liked gifts give one segment, loved gifts give two. Everybody likes flowers, and they're pretty easy to get if you keep up with the Greenhouse. Unless you want to use the Greenhouse to get food for lunches.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I've got Fire Emblem Three Houses coming to me in the next few days, so everybody give me an elevator pitch on why I should choose each house.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Black Eagles because you want Hubert on your side he's marginally less likely to murder you that way.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I've got Fire Emblem Three Houses coming to me in the next few days, so everybody give me an elevator pitch on why I should choose each house.

Black Eagles: Disregard Crests, Acquire Power.
    Blue Lions: Alms for the Patriarchy.
    Golden Deer: Hufflepuff House.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Black Eagles: Be the change you want to see in the world.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    black eagles if you for some unknown reason wanted to experience what it's like inciting a revolution

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Heavy Armor/Riding/Flying unlocks skills at certain levels, I believe it's the weight- skills for armor, Alert stance for flying (dodge up on enemy turn if you move and then don't act), and I can't remember for riding.

No classes ever restrict weapon usage, but only magic classes can actually use tomes/heals.

For Claude, and pretty much every physical attacker in the game really, when in doubt go Wyvern Rider into Wyvern Lord. It is, by far, the most busted class in the game.

Falcon Knight is the close competition there, but Wyvern Lord has more useful growths. Falcon Knight with Defiant Avd and Alert Stance+ though can safely bait anything. It's hilarious when someone has +100 avoid from their skills.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

Go with your gut. Always seemed to me like most people's favourite house is whichever one they chose first.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    black eagles if you for some unknown reason wanted to experience what it's like inciting a revolution

This is a strong sell.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    @DarkPrimus how many playthroughs do you think you might do? Because there's a route split in Black Eagles, and the default route (Silver Snow) is pretty close to Golden Deers' (Verdant Wind). The alternate route for Black Eagles (Crimson Flower) is what most people talk about when they bring up that house (and while you have to do a couple things to have access to the choice, they're basic enough that 95% of people will accidentally do them). Blue Lions' route (Azure Moon) is a bit more unique.

Crimson Flower and Azure Moon are more character driven, but will leave you with a number of dangling plot threads and questions about just what was going on.
    Verdant Wind and Silver Snow are weaker drama wise, but fill in the world better.

As for the houses themselves, the game is remarkable for every character being great. Personally, I'd sort them Black Eagles > Golden Deer > Blue Lions, but there's no consensus on a best group of students.

//

@captaink for Claude I think he's the least strong of the lords, so he benefits from Brigand's mastery skill (Death Blow). I set his goals to Axes and Flying (while using Bows) and took him down Fighter -> Brigand -> Wyvern Rider until he got his custom classes.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Worth noting that it's pretty easy to poach students (except for house leaders and like two others) from other houses, and absolutely trivial to do it on NG+ for whoever you've already played.

Some students should always be recruited imo, but mainly because they really deserve a happy ending (though said students all being really good doesn't hurt).

Polaritie on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

No matter what house you choose, make sure you talk to everyone at least once a month. Everyone. Don't forget. Don't forget.

The houses feel a little bit like this:

Blue Lions: You are playing a Fire Emblem game and the protagonist has no idea what's going on

Golden Deer: You are playing a Fire Emblem game starring the Power Rangers

Black Eagles, Silver Snow: All the major emotional beats from Golden Deer make a lot more sense in this run, for some reason

Black Eagles, Crimson Flower: The first language of resistance is violence. Time to fight the police.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I didn't know I had stumbled into an alternative route. I guess it makes sense thinking on the way the choices were set up, but I thought that was just the Black Eagles story. I can't really imagine how the main route would work if it was the other direction, you'd lose some real important characters.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I didn't know I had stumbled into an alternative route. I guess it makes sense thinking on the way the choices were set up, but I thought that was just the Black Eagles story. I can't really imagine how the main route would work if it was the other direction, you'd lose some real important characters.

It's wild that the devs seemingly didn't realize that would be the most popular path even with a minor barrier

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Well the dev team is Japanese, and I'd imagine they have a wildly differing perspective on churches and their power structures than we do here in the States.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

For my money it's not really an alternative route at all

That the devs seem to disagree on this point is baffling

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Well the dev team is Japanese, and I'd imagine they have a wildly differing perspective on churches and their power structures than we do here in the States.

Probably. Every vaguely Catholic-ish Church institution in Japanese videogames can be counted on to be evil.

Which just makes it all the more baffling Crimson Flower got the least amount of love.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Still haven't played CF, but:
    Edelgard Did Nothing Wrong

Whippy on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    spoilers, baka

• Options
    Sorry! My mistake.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Wyborn wrote: »

For my money it's not really an alternative route at all

That the devs seem to disagree on this point is baffling

I just call Silver Snow the default route as if you go through the game skipping all exploration/supports you can't access Crimson Flower.

But yeah. In an initial blind playthrough, how many people would not choose to go Crimson Flower? Anecdotally it seems like the most popular route, but evidence suggests it was the least worked on (see general shortness and a unique character getting added after release).

//

Also, I'm doing my fourth playthrough now (Silver Snow) using the Ashen Wolves plus Lin, Ferdie, and Petra (as different classes than my initial Crimson Flower run). Constance has pretty lengthy battle dialogue with the main enemy of Chapters 11 and 12, which is neat.

//

Also also, I saw a cute video that lays out some of Fodlan's lore pretty succinctly. Massive spoilers though:

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    My coworker got Three Houses at release and we both picked BE, but I went CF and he missed the trigger and ended up SS. As far as I'm aware he hasn't played through any other routes. So it definitely happens.

• Options
    I'm in chapter 5 and I already see where the Lysithea love comes from. She already wrecks shop.

Just started getting into intermediate classes. Some people are still level 9 so they're not quite there but so far I have
    Byleth-Mercenary (duh)
    Raphael-Grappler
    Lorenz-Cavalier
    Hilda-Armor Knight

Then the plans are
    Marianne-Bishop
    Lysithea-Mage
    Ignatz-Archer
    Claude-Thief or Lord
    Leonie-Pegasus Knight

I just picked up Cyril, not sure what he's going to be. Probably a Warrior? I'm looking to have 1 of each class more than I'm looking for optimization.

Trying to woo Felix and Petra over to my side so I have some more people good at swords. Also Linhardt for another offensive magic user. Although Marianne is also very good at doing magic damage, they made light magic real good in this game.

• Options
    If I might make a suggestion:

Bernadetta

• Options
    If I might make a suggestion:

Bernadetta

Oh yeah she likes me too for some reason, we're support rank C, but she won't join yet.

• Options
    The higher the support rank, the lower the stat requirements are. Typically a bit easier to just invite them to eat, have tea, etc to get to rank B to try and recruit.

• Options
    The higher the support rank, the lower the stat requirements are. Typically a bit easier to just invite them to eat, have tea, etc to get to rank B to try and recruit.

Just giftbomb them enough to get B rank and the requirements become basically 0.

Bernadetta can do some stupid things at the end of the game.
    Bow Knight+Deadeye. Infinity+1 range.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Got this a bit ago and am playing through blind. Having a blast so far. Joined Black Eagle because according to my wife they collectively had the best hair.

Just got to Wyvern Moon for the first time, any non-spoilery things a new player needs to know?

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    you get to make one of your house members in december(whatever chapter that is) the dancer class and whoever you’re planning to should have at least 13-17 charm

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Got this a bit ago and am playing through blind. Having a blast so far. Joined Black Eagle because according to my wife they collectively had the best hair.

Just got to Wyvern Moon for the first time, any non-spoilery things a new player needs to know?

Battalions are better than you think, if you get the good ones. They provide pretty hefty passive defense and offense. So, don't ignore authority and battalions like I did my first playthrough.

Honestly other than that, just play the game, have fun, and ask any questions you might have here, pretty sure we collectively know everything about the game.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

Battalions are better than you think, if you get the good ones. They provide pretty hefty passive defense and offense. So, don't ignore authority and battalions like I did my first playthrough.

Honestly other than that, just play the game, have fun, and ask any questions you might have here, pretty sure we collectively know everything about the game.

Following on from this, you're probably going to hear this a lot, but it's pretty much Non-Spoilery Things A New Player Needs To Know 101: It's okay to train your students exclusively in their strengths and change them to classes that use those strengths. There isn't a lot of brokenness that you can achieve through bizarre combinations of classes and skills, so you'll be far better served by just training toward expertise in something specific for each character than trying to assemble hybrids. Authority is the one thing that absolutely everyone benefits from.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

Following on from this, you're probably going to hear this a lot, but it's pretty much Non-Spoilery Things A New Player Needs To Know 101: It's okay to train your students exclusively in their strengths and change them to classes that use those strengths. There isn't a lot of brokenness that you can achieve through bizarre combinations of classes and skills, so you'll be far better served by just training toward expertise in something specific for each character than trying to assemble hybrids. Authority is the one thing that absolutely everyone benefits from.

Yeah, the only hybrids that tend to work out are melee primary characters who can sling magic for breaking armored enemies in half. But honestly you can just swing Lysithea over and watch the carnage anyways.

• Options
    So for students, just beeline on the 1-2 things they are naturally good at, and Authority maybe.

I feel like Byleth is now in danger of falling behind. I'm starting to take training from the other faculty to keep my stats up.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    So for students, just beeline on the 1-2 things they are naturally good at, and Authority maybe.

I feel like Byleth is now in danger of falling behind. I'm starting to take training from the other faculty to keep my stats up.

I'm having the same issue, been trying to up Lance and faith on Byleth to recruit a couple kids and as a result all the kids are better at their specialties than me.

• Options
    edited March 2020

Byleth does earn skill ranks slower than everyone else since they don't take part in the weekly lectures, but their high stats still make them one of the most devastating characters in the game.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Keep in mind you can always have someone else do a tutoring session for the entire class and Byleth always attends those. If you're low on Motivation and already done your Exploration for the month, it's a decent way to spend your time.