As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I think the most interesting about the different paths in Three Houses is the idea of perspective.

And how everyone can be right and wrong at the same time. And how a lot of times making a decision is just that...a decision.

Like I think playing Golden Deer influenced how I'll look at Black Eagle when I get around to it. And my perception of Rhea changed quite a bit by the time I was done.

I actually want to play Black Eagle last. Cause I think playing Blue Lion will inform that even more.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I think the most interesting about the different paths in Three Houses is the idea of perspective.

And how everyone can be right and wrong at the same time. And how a lot of times making a decision is just that...a decision.

Like I think playing Golden Deer influenced how I'll look at Black Eagle when I get around to it. And my perception of Rhea changed quite a bit by the time I was done.

I actually want to play Black Eagle last. Cause I think playing Blue Lion will inform that even more.

The Blue Lions take on things is certainly interesting. On the one hand, it's more or less the most fully fleshed out route, but on the other hand its perspective is very limited.

Like, if you've only played Blue Lions, you do not know the full story. In fact, you might possibly know the least amount of story.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    BL recruiting all recruitable allies is the “base” story

Bunch of kids blindly following their beloved authority figure and not learning real history

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It’s also v murder hobo-y, literally

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Meanwhile the GDeer are just over here having a sick college kegger while dressed in Power Rangers colors.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Also, I'm doing my fourth playthrough now (Silver Snow) using the Ashen Wolves plus Lin, Ferdie, and Petra (as different classes than my initial Crimson Flower run). Constance has pretty lengthy battle dialogue with the main enemy of Chapters 11 and 12, which is neat.

As a follow up to this, I found that Yuri has unique dialogue with Gwendal, the Grey Lion of House Rowe. (I'm trying to think of who Hapi or Boathouse might have any with, but coming up blank. Maybe Hilda for the latter, but I recruited her so I guess I'll never know...)

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Also, I'm doing my fourth playthrough now (Silver Snow) using the Ashen Wolves plus Lin, Ferdie, and Petra (as different classes than my initial Crimson Flower run). Constance has pretty lengthy battle dialogue with the main enemy of Chapters 11 and 12, which is neat.

As a follow up to this, I found that Yuri has unique dialogue with Gwendal, the Grey Lion of House Rowe. (I'm trying to think of who Hapi or Boathouse might have any with, but coming up blank. Maybe Hilda for the latter, but I recruited her so I guess I'll never know...)

Pretty sure I saw a video preview of Balthus and Hilda, yeah.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Golden Deer ending is the biggest "haha hell yeah let's have a big cool fight and a party"

Also I married Manuela

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I tried playing Golden Deer but stalled out in the second half

I think I was underleveled or something

now, time to give up on that and start a Blue Lions playthrough which I will hopefully not screw up

• Options
    or maybe I could do Black Eagles but I really don't like Edelgard

at all

she's bad and is also bad.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Edelgard is rad, it is you who is bad!

Edit: Though if I'd gone for a house based solely on leadership I would have gone with Golden Deer, Claude makes av very strong first impression. Pity a bunch of the rest of Golden Deer house were jerks to Byleth during introductions.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    just before the timeskip spoilers
    I have started zero wars and have precisely zero tryhard edgelord alteregos so I'd argue that it is still Edelgard who is, in fact, bad

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I just got the game last week and am on my first playthrough so I'm going to imagine that whatever is in that spoiler is very minor and that Edelgard remains a precious child forever. :P

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    There’s some confusingly mixed messages with regards to Edelgard. I’m still not even sure what the writers intended. There’s also a few story differences between routes that can’t just be attributed to ‘this person is telling the truth/others are lying’. And the DLC doesn’t make things any clearer and in fact muddies the water further on some points (ie Patricia).

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    There’s some confusingly mixed messages with regards to Edelgard. I’m still not even sure what the writers intended. There’s also a few story differences between routes that can’t just be attributed to ‘this person is telling the truth/others are lying’. And the DLC doesn’t make things any clearer and in fact muddies the water further on some points (ie Patricia).

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the case and is intended

There is a lot of fog of war going on, and plenty of people make pretty different decisions on each of the routes because information they know, or they don't know, or they think they know but isn't true. Like, there's a ton of room for a "golden path" route that would work if you could get everyone to talk to each other and settle things, but they explicitly eschewed that this time around vs. Fates because in character, these characters would never agree to or do that because of the information or misinformation they all have about each other.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    A big part of it is that Byleth is a huge influence to their students. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Edelgard in Crimson Flower route is simply not the same person as Edelgard in other routes.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Also, in regards to that a Edelgard spoiler
    Above:
    Whether or not you think Edelgard is right, there is no way for any of Fodlan to change for the better without full scale war, because of the way that society is set up.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    A big part of it is that Byleth is a huge influence to their students. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Edelgard in Crimson Flower route is simply not the same person as Edelgard in other routes.
    I agree she definitely changes with Byleth's guidance, but it's also Byleth's power added to her arsenal that allows her to stop relying on / getting her arm twisted by TWSITD in CF. For non CF routes, things make a lot more sense when you can identify which actions were by the TWSITD versus those directed by Edelgard

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    The only bad FE3H character is Gilbert

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Edelgard is the best character in the game and one of the best characters in the franchise

• Options
    edited March 2020
    "For the love of God, someone hug that girl!" My wife after a spate of Bernadetta supports.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

There is a lot of fog of war going on, and plenty of people make pretty different decisions on each of the routes because information they know, or they don't know, or they think they know but isn't true. Like, there's a ton of room for a "golden path" route that would work if you could get everyone to talk to each other and settle things, but they explicitly eschewed that this time around vs. Fates because in character, these characters would never agree to or do that because of the information or misinformation they all have about each other.

No, I mean aspects of the story like:
    We’re told by an NPC that Edelgard is the first member of the Imperial family to attend the academy in several generations, but in the Black Eagles we learn that Edelgard’s parents both attended the academy.

There are small discrepancies like that, that no characters would have cause to lie about, that point to some possible re-writes.

Again, same with Patricia. There’s a lot of information regarding her that characters have no reason to lie about (some they do, but not all) that shows some muddied writing.

• Options
    edited March 2020

Also, getting these characters to sit down and chat openly with each other before it's too late doesn't really work because trust is not a survival trait in Fódlan high society. The Emperor was stripped of his power, the King was assassinated, and the Lords are always scheming against each other in their endless powerplays.

It's way too risky for Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude to open up about their true agendas to people who are, essentially, total strangers.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Teach just needs to get them all a juice box and have them say nice things about one another so they become friends.

Now I just have the image of the three Lords sitting uncomfortably at a tiny table designed for four year olds, make that DLC IntSys

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Also, getting these characters to sit down and chat openly with each other before it's too late doesn't really work because trust is not a survival trait in Fódlan high society. The Emperor was stripped of his power, the King was assassinated, and the Lords are always scheming against each other in their endless powerplays.

It's way too risky for Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude to open up about their true agendas to people who are, essentially, total strangers.

About that... (Blue lions spoilers)
    The funny part is that Edelgard and Dmitri aren't strangers to each other. This... is not entirely handled well in the writing.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I totally get where Edelgard is coming from, but I think it's her big character flaw that is a result of her extremely unfortunate upbringing that causes the events of three houses to become a much bigger mess than they otherwise could have been.

But she is also a victim and there are quite a large number of people who are more responsible for the mess than her.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    never die wrote: »
    Above:
    Whether or not you think Edelgard is right, there is no way for any of Fodlan to change for the better without full scale war, because of the way that society is set up.

I remember when I did BE/CF my first playthrough:
    When you make The Choice I was like "oh snap, well I can't abandon Edelgard, guess I'm siding with her!" And then like 3 minutes later she starts talking about sending out her manifesto and I started to panic a bit. "Uh-oh, I MIGHT have just backed Hitler."

Fortunately my first instinct was correct. Edelgard is the closest of the three to actively improving the standing of the regular people in Fodlan, not just patching a broken system.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Edelgard is right, but I'm pretty sure the devs don't actually know this, which is a pretty big shame.

Certainly explains why CF isn't exactly as complete as the other routes.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    ph blake wrote: »
    Edelgard is right, but I'm pretty sure the devs don't actually know this, which is a pretty big shame.

Could also be because Crimson Flower is the most unique of the routes. All the others suffer from a bunch of copy'n'paste. I did Azure Moon last and I could predict nearly exactly what map came when because I'd already done this with Golden Deer and Silver Snow.

I'm just saying, CF isn't the only route with a bunch of cut corners. Although they are more obvious than in the other three.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Above:

When you make The Choice I was like "oh snap, well I can't abandon Edelgard, guess I'm siding with her!" And then like 3 minutes later she starts talking about sending out her manifesto and I started to panic a bit. "Uh-oh, I MIGHT have just backed Hitler."

Fortunately my first instinct was correct. Edelgard is the closest of the three to actively improving the standing of the regular people in Fodlan, not just patching a broken system.

I mean but also her war gets a bunch of the people directly killed, causes famines, etc.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    Above:

I mean but also her war gets a bunch of the people directly killed, causes famines, etc.

So does the status quo. That's kind of the problem.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So I haven't beaten the game yet, and my only perspective is the Crimson Flower one, but I think it gives a pretty good insight into Edelgard.
    At some point there's a social link conversation where she says something about being glad that all her friends are here to keep her grounded and focused on not losing herself in her mission. I think the implication is that in the other routes since everyone but Hubert bails and fights against her she becomes more hardened in her personality.

But like I said I haven't seen the others so I don't even know if that's what happens.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly I haven't finished yet but I think it's funny cause Rhea and Edelgard are actually very similar in
    how they're guided by past trauma and believe they have to do what they do for the sake of a better world

• Options
    ph blake wrote: »

Actually I feel like the devs pandered to her a lot and that many of the inconsistencies point to backtracking and making Edelgard waaaaay nicer than originally intended.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    holy ding dong jesus some of yall are bad about talking around spoilers

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Above:

Rhea literally orders a purge of a rival sect of her own religion. Is that not going to cause a bunch of people to be directly killed, and leave all the people depending on the church (which, in the Kingdom, is almost certainly the only charity the poor have) in a lurch?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Also...Edelgard...Time Skip stuff
    One thing that bugs me is that the character wants to get rid of the classed system that crests brings...

But...and correct me if I'm wrong...still maintains the classed system of a monarchy?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I would disagree on the Edelgard/Rhea point
    in that I don't think Rhea actually wants a better world, not really. Maybe a safer world, but only for her and hers, everyone else can just get fucked. Like, I guess it's an understandable reaction, kinda, but where Edelgard took her trauma and accurately identified the source of the problem (this power imbalance caused by crests and the nobility is the source of suffering, I need to overthrow this system and replace it with something better), Rhea just goes "the only way for me to be safe is if I control everything, forever."

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Also...Edelgard...Time Skip stuff
    One thing that bugs me is that the character wants to get rid of the classed system that crests brings...

But...and correct me if I'm wrong...still maintains the classed system of a monarchy?
    One of the common complaints with the game in general is:
    Not all that much actually changes, if you parse all the endings. The same families remain in control with mostly the same titles.

• Options
    Whelp, I guess I'll check back in on this thread in a month or so after I've beaten the game.