As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Poor Hubert, forever going to be level 1.

I'm scared of the upcoming part 1 tower mission. Just like, I'm worried what skills they're gonna put on beasts.

The real question is... can you burn it down during the stun turn?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    how many health bars can you take down in the stopped time?

• Options
    Also, good luck clearing the red canyon paralogue. Or, well... a lot of the paralogues actually. I think they're harder than story maps for a lot of part 1.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The paralogues are harder than anything save, like, the last two missions in Crimson Flower

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ah, hm, yep

I'm never going to fail to be messed up by Marianne's A support with Byleth

If Dimitri doesn't have a good A support with her then the writers have failed me, that is me personally that they will have failed

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    On Maddening I might save the Paralogues until closer to the end of their availability, just so I can go loud

If you think I'm going up against the Red Canyon paralogue without at least one or two Silver Bows then you are a fool

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    but red canyon has a knowledge gem

A KNOWLEDGE GEM

DON'T YOU WANT SKILLS WYBORN?

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Those kids can't learn skills if they're dead in some friggin canyon

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Well on my playthrough I'll be using Hubert, so having Mire and/or Death will be a pretty big boon against all these 2-range enemies, I suppose...

But against the flyers I can see myself breaking one section of their armor and then just shooting them to death, even if that means sacrificing all the sweet Mythril they're carrying

Edit: I think Hubert, Dorothea, and Marianne are all about to move up a tier for offensive spellcasting. The ability to hit somebody and not get hit back—or being able to counter archers—is going to matter a lot more on Maddening. And Meteor? That's free.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Huh, I've never had isseus with the Zanado paralogue. What's so hard about it?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The issue is doing it on maddening ;)

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Huh, I've never had isseus with the Zanado paralogue. What's so hard about it?

Mostly that every single enemy can run right oast your units to attack the juicy mages in the back, so it can be tricky to keep the damage off.

Mostly this just means packing tons of strong gambits to keep them focused on tanky people or dead, but...

• Options
    You can form a fairly loose V to protect your squishies, though. They're 2x2 units, they can't get past a dotted line.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    half the enemies are flyers and the other half are wolves with passthrough IIRC
    so all they actually need is enough movement to reach a 2x2 space beyond your dotted line among your squishies

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    wait i just thought of a more evil idea
    If I get Hubert killed in part one, does that mean I won't have to fight him in Silver Snow?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So my Team Death Blow plan is going soso. All the axe guys plus Dimitri made it, no problem, but...

Ingrid made Pegasus Knight 100%, and technically qualifies for Brigand, though she's failed the test every week she's tried it so far.

Byleth is probably going to be level 20 or higher before they qualify for any intermediate job. Faculty training is just not nearly as good as when Byleth teaches the kids every week. It also looks like save scumming for Great for an extra 10 Skill points for Byleth will be necessary to promote any time soon, which is garbage game design. Especially compared to the kids with 4 smaller teaching entries, a chance for Perfect for a fifth entry, and statue experience 4-5 times vs 1, the kids get on average way more targeted teaching from Byleth, vs. Byleth taught by the faculty.

This happened in my last playthrough, when just teaching Byleth swords still wasn't enough to promote on time; now, trying for Brigand and Pegasus Knight seems impossible. Probably in future playthroughs I'll just spend Renown for Byleth to learn Death and Darting blows.

E: Thinking about it, it might just be a privilege of Normal; I can't see how this would possibly be viable on Hard or Maddening.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    I didn't have any issue hitting the minimum swords for Mercenary on my first playthrough on hard, though I never hit the ranks for an advanced job before 20. Thankfully Byleth doesn't actually care about that - even on my current NG+ with +50% xp from statues, I only hit level 23 before unlocking her unique job.

One thing about higher difficulties though is enemies survive to take more hits, which means more class/skill XP from combat.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Byleth definitely gets most of their skill experience from participating in combat; if you want to get that Axe skill up, give them an axe and let them go loud in a low-level auxiliary battle. It'll go up quickly enough, especially if you give them a Knowledge gem

Otherwise they're not really going to be as customizable as everyone else; that's just the way they're built. You can get them an advanced class at 20 if you focus specifically and hard on a single weapon skill, but it's not easy

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Byleth definitely gets most of their skill experience from participating in combat; if you want to get that Axe skill up, give them an axe and let them go loud in a low-level auxiliary battle. It'll go up quickly enough, especially if you give them a Knowledge gem

Otherwise they're not really going to be as customizable as everyone else; that's just the way they're built. You can get them an advanced class at 20 if you focus specifically and hard on a single weapon skill, but it's not easy

The only reason I'm remotely entertaining it this time is with 10 activity points I can spend 5 on faculty training each time and still have enough to feed my kids so I can teach 7 of them every week.

• Options
    Yeah even on hard if you want byleth to be anything besides a sword/guantlet guy/gal, you really need to focus on it. And cross class line dipping just isn't really an option for them unless you're doing new game+.

The easiest advanced classes to get Byleth into are are probably Swordmaster, Assassin, and Hero. (if you're M!Byleth) The other classes are doable on hard, but some of them basically require you prioritize training byleth's skills through seminars or faculty training to have a reasonable shot of passing their certifications at level 20. And that is... probably not a good decision over the other things you could be doing with your limited time.

Don't feel forced to use Byleth's unique class though. It's good enough if you haven't trained skills in such a way to get into another class you want, but it isn't amazing. At least not on Byleth. (A character who has mediocre magic growth and a character who will most likely have extremely low reason and low faith ranks when/if you switch them into the class.) Not a bad option, especially if you get especially lucky with magic on Byleth's level ups, but there are a bunch of other options that can be argued are better. (Especially if you're M!Byleth.)

also i mean it's a fashion disaster

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Byleth's unique class is pretty strong actually. Good growths and a ridiculous amount of class stats (+14 overall, plus +2 move)

35 isnt a terrible mag growth rate either - Byleth will be able to use magic to snap armored classes in half pretty easily. The problem is more that Nosferatu is an awful attack and white magic is just slower in general. You do have that shiny avoid+20 with white magic... which means Nosferatu unfortunately, as Aura only has 3 shots. But again - those annoying enemy armor units are going to get doubled and destroyed just fine by that.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Get her some reason and she gets decent spells.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Get her some reason and she gets decent spells.

Just the staples - no Thoron or anything fancy, but more than enough to hurt people.

For comparison, Dorothea has a 40 mag growth.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Details of rumored DLC leaks if anyone is curious!

Janson on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I did see that. A lot of it looks interesting! (some of it... less so)

I'm going to wait a bit longer before treating it as confirmed, though

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I hope those are false but it sounds plausible.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Getting Jeritza as a free patched-in character for Crimson Flower feels almost... too generous, for how the rest of the DLC has worked up to now? Like they're going "Hey y'all we know Crimson Flower is really lean compared to the other routes, so, here's some more!"

And the "Abyss Mode" sidestory only having 4 new characters suggests it's not a prequel; that's not enough characters to have even a single map to themselves, much less a miniature campaign

Playing with pets being locked behind a paywall would be real weird

The less said about the Maid/Butler thing the better; that's something from Fates that could have been left in Fates, and I'm wary about the sauna for similar reasons

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    True! I edited my post to say ‘rumored’.

Conversations:

- Felix/Dimitri A-rank Support is still one of, if not my actual favourite in the game
    - It’s nicely followed up by the dialogue if you have Felix/Dimitri do a task together
    - Alois is refreshingly grounded and realistic, I actually screenshot a couple of his lines because I liked them so much
    - After Chapter 17, most of the classmates’ dialogue (Bernadetta, Dorothea, Leonie, etc.) is somewhat generic, but Lysithea and Ferdinand have more specific things to say, which is an interesting choice of characters given they’re very unlikely recruits to the Blue Lions. Plus they have their paralogue together which unlocked after this chapter. I’m always curious by what the writers have each character say and where. (Also Ferdie/Mercedes isn’t too bad?)

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Ferdinand is much more tolerable version of Lorenz. Less focus on being special and superior, more focus on duty? Hmm. I'm not getting this into words well. I think it's maybe more that Ferdinand is all "follow behind me, your shining example of knighthood" and isn't discriminating between commoners and nobility.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Ferdie is a doofus but he means well, and truly believes in using his station to help others less fortunate. He doesn’t just see himself as superior by default, he strives to be superior because if he is, that means he can better help others.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Ferdinand is definitely the least bad of the fuckboys.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I still think the Marianne/Dmitri A rank support might have my favorite two lines in the game:

Marianne: It is a burden... It feels terrible to continue standing when so many others had to fall.
    Dimitri: If that is so, then carry on as you are. There is no need for you to force yourself to smile as your soul bleeds. But please... Whatever you do, do not give up on yourself, or your precious life.

It’s so good, and it’s nice to see someone get to Marianne’s level, and tell her it is okay to not be okay, was so sweet and lovely.

• Options
    While I kind of love to hate Lorenz, I don’t think he’s that terrible (outside of his hitting on women/his supports with Sylvain). I appreciate what the writers did with his character and how he embodies the ideas of nobility that people did actually use to hold.

(Going off topic now, but I grew up within five miles of a castle (Arundel castle, heh) that’s still inhabited by a lord and his family, and the records/writings they’ve kept of how the family has interacted over the centuries with the townspeople remind me quite a bit of Lorenz’s words in a few of his supports).

That being said, I do prefer Ferdinand as a character, yes!
    never die wrote: »
    I still think the Marianne/Dmitri A rank support might have my favorite two lines in the game:
    Marianne: It is a burden... It feels terrible to continue standing when so many others had to fall.
    Dimitri: If that is so, then carry on as you are. There is no need for you to force yourself to smile as your soul bleeds. But please... Whatever you do, do not give up on yourself, or your precious life.

It’s so good, and it’s nice to see someone get to Marianne’s level, and tell her it is okay to not be okay, was so sweet and lovely.

This is definitely my runner-up for favourite exchange! It’s so close between this and Felix’s lines.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I got Manuela/Lorenz C support last night and I'm dying

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Manuela/Lorenz gets slept on and is an amazing support

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The way Lorenz squirms in his supports with Manuela is chef's kiss worthy.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Byleth's unique class is pretty strong actually. Good growths and a ridiculous amount of class stats (+14 overall, plus +2 move)

35 isnt a terrible mag growth rate either - Byleth will be able to use magic to snap armored classes in half pretty easily. The problem is more that Nosferatu is an awful attack and white magic is just slower in general. You do have that shiny avoid+20 with white magic... which means Nosferatu unfortunately, as Aura only has 3 shots. But again - those annoying enemy armor units are going to get doubled and destroyed just fine by that.

but crit though, but crit. also armor slayers murder armor knights just fine.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

but crit though, but crit. also armor slayers murder armor knights just fine.

I mean, yes, and you've got that shiny Rapier+ on someone else I assume, but...

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    reading that dlc info fills me with a powerful urge to go back to sleep

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Hey is there a good class promotion chart somewhere I can print out? About to restart my game (chapter 8) due to realizing how many things I missed, like not noticing the paralogues and being stupidly indecisive on what to level.