As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i like to watch the tv

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I started discworld at like age 10 with The Last Continent as an isolated hillbilly child who certainly didnt know anything about Australia, wizards or universities so it was basically like reading a fever

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I started discworld at like age 10 with The Last Continent as an isolated hillbilly child who certainly didnt know anything about Australia, wizards or universities so it was basically like reading a fever

For something written by a foreigner, there are so many australian in-jokes in that book that I do wonder how it translates overseas.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I've only read the first published Discworld book

I should change that though, I really enjoyed it and want to read more!

• Options
    It translates into a feeling as though your brain is hot and swollen

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

For something written by a foreigner, there are so many australian in-jokes in that book that I do wonder how it translates overseas.

I remember getting a lot of it and not feeling completely lost, so I think it worked out fine

I'm sure I missed a bunch though

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

wow
    well the good news is it gets a lot better so you're almost certainly going to enjoy the ride.

• Options
    edited September 2019

wow
    well the good news is it gets a lot better so you're almost certainly going to enjoy the ride.

I still like that book, but he absolutely hadn't figured out a lot of stuff

Rincewind is still one of my favorite characters

How can you not love a wizard that's very bad at being a wizard

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    This is just reminding me that I need to get Anya to read Discworld

But she's difficult to MAKE read things so I guess I'll just wait till she's interested. My mom did buy her all the Tiffany Aching books, anyway!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I guess they couldn't get Gwendolyn Christie for Sybil and just gave up

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Just a reminder of how great the cover was for Night Watch:

2fqx8zicp0yr.jpg

Dormer as Vines is great casting.

• Options
    All that does is remind me of the derangedly terrible North American covers with the lumpen potato people and the clean shaven dwarves all in polka dot bandannas

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Just waiting for that Xanth show here.

I don't know the last time you read one of those, but they did not age well.

• Options
    yeah those are extraordinarily ugly. I avoided discworld as a kid because the library had those covers and it made the books look like the lowest possible form of satire. Also the way the artist drew women, ugh.
    Once Paul Kidby started getting involved, the outsides started to look far more reminiscent of the insides.

also, relevant thread:

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I started Discworld with uh...Jingo, I think, and it was perfectly fine

• Options
    Narbus wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Just waiting for that Xanth show here.

I don't know the last time you read one of those, but they did not age well.

I only read a couple of Piers Anthony books that I recall, but even as a kid in the 90s the creepiness, misogyny and outright paedophilia seemed pretty front and centre.

• Options
    I read the Incarnations of Immortality books and thought they were a lot of fun but kind of disappeared up their own asses later on

never started Xanth though, I had rules about series that long even then

• Options
    Piers anthony is among the best at making cool, interesting, unique magic systems

And the worst at everything else

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    yeah those are extraordinarily ugly. I avoided discworld as a kid because the library had those covers and it made the books look like the lowest possible form of satire. Also the way the artist drew women, ugh.
    Once Paul Kidby started getting involved, the outsides started to look far more reminiscent of the insides.

also, relevant thread:

I pretty much agree with everything she says here. That description does not inspire confidence at first glance.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I LOVED Piers Anthony when I was in middle school. Ready every book he wrote.

Then I got a little older...

It sucks because they are still really fun ideas and stories without all of the bullshit. He's a good writer.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

also, relevant thread:

I pretty much agree with everything she says here. That description does not inspire confidence at first glance.

Oh I read the deadspin article and they very literally turned Sybil into batman, okay, I now have zero hope for this. Blegh.

• Options
    I might still watch it because Richard Dormer is a dreamboat

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

also, relevant thread:

Also interesting that one of the people most of afraid of the Watch/Vimes is Vetinari. The ironfisted ruler of Ankh-Morpok. He's the prototypical benevolent despot, but he knows that if he ever goes too far Vimes and Carrot would remove him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah Night Watch really trades a lot on the work the previous books do

Its a series where it is best read in order. None of them are bad and seeing Vimes' work develop over time is a delight

I don't care for Pyramids or Moving Pictures, personally.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Its a series where it is best read in order. None of them are bad and seeing Vimes' work develop over time is a delight

They aren't part of the Night Watch series!

There are some Discworld books that aren't great, sure, but all of The Watch stuff is good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    is Richard Dormer related to Natalie?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Apparently not

stupid sexy Dormers

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Piers Anthony also seemed very cool and nice in that This American Life piece from years back about that kid that ran away to come live with him. He handled that situation about as well as one could.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

They aren't part of the Night Watch series!

There are some Discworld books that aren't great, sure, but all of The Watch stuff is good

Ah, that I can agree with

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    when the pilot and copilot shake hands I lost my shit

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

also, relevant thread:

Oh I read the deadspin article and they very literally turned Sybil into batman, okay, I now have zero hope for this. Blegh.

I dunno. I didn't get that impression from the one sentence description of her?

Could be good. I'll cross my fingers

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options

also, relevant thread:

"Chaotic vigilanteism" sounds a lot like batman.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

also, relevant thread:

What did she do in the books then?

Edit asking cause I haven't read them

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

also, relevant thread:

She's just, like, a noblewoman minding her own business and breeding dragons. She doesn't fight crime at all. She does huge work for social change but it's entirely through legitimate channels.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I really gotta remember to stop ever mentioning I like a thing that the conversation hasn't already covered, I'm just gonna get told that it's bad, actually.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

also, relevant thread:

She's just, like, a noblewoman minding her own business and breeding dragons. She doesn't fight crime at all. She does huge work for social change but it's entirely through legitimate channels.

She'd probably be pretty good at the vigilante thing. Anybody who can shove medicine down a swamp dragon's throat and live to tell the tale could probably handle a mugger or two.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah but there's very little reason for her to go after lawful muggings

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The whole "crime has been legalized" thing doesn't really bother me

That is 100% true in the books, the Thieves and Assassin's guilds are prominent fixtures right from the jump and a major part of the city

The only thing that gives me outright pause is the Sybil change. Everything else reads to me as being in line with the books but filtered through the lens of a marketing writer trying to make it sound flashy and badass

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Yeah but there's very little reason for her to go after lawful muggings

Oh certainly not lawful muggings. That's guild business. But she'll never forget that fateful night after the opera when her parents were killed by freelance muggers. This is why licensure is important.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Also if there's one thing Vimes is not okay with it's vigilantism

Vimes is like Anti-Batman. Justice ought to be accounted for publicly, and he can't trust himself to administer judgement himself, in part because he wouldn't stop doing it.

Maddoc on
This discussion has been closed.