As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    You might have to hold L+R first.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    For what it’s worth my Nintendo SNES controller shows as shipped. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Not might. Isn't this how you do it for all controllers?

I've used my 8bitdo in the SNES app just fine.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Everyone has something they’re picky about in gaming. It might be frame rate, audio or how responsive the controls are. If Erica Griffin is concerned about screens, well as least she’s there to put out that information to like minded people.

The only problem I have with this, and it's not even a person like Erica's fault, is how the game of internet telephone spreads FUD about it. One technophile notices an extremely niche aspect that matters to them, and the next thing you know randos everywhere are flooding comment sections about how "Nintendo's Screens Suck" and suddenly it's common knowledge that Nintendo uses shitty screens. Just the worst screens.

I think places like Digital Foundry do a fairly responsible job of their niche technical overviews? They keep the hyperbolic language to a minimum. They are very quick to qualify things with what the "average gamer" might notice versus the sort of person who pays into Digital Foundry's patreon account. Then again I don't follow their twitter account, so maybe they shit things up just as much on twitter.

Taking to twitter to say "the screens are crap" when it's a niche issue 99.99% of people won't notice, even when you try to point it out to them side by side like myself, isn't the most responsible thing in the world. But such is twitter.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    So, is it even expected that multiple devices would have the exact same screen dynamics? Isn't this why people make careers out of configuring televisions (and entire home theatre setups) via house call?

There are so many variables at play it's bordering on futile to worry about tiny details and differences device to device.

And you wouldn't even be able to measure any difference without specialized tools. That's like complaining about a size difference in your subway sandwich that you can only see using a micrometer.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    For what it’s worth my Nintendo SNES controller shows as shipped. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Yeah, I was pessimistic when I ordered mine, as it said temporarily out of stock, but it's showing as shipped and tracking says I should have it Tuesday.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm sorry Miss Griffin, but if you put all 5 of those consoles next to me, I'd have no idea of the differences...nor would I care. It would be too much game time to worry about things like that.

If you put down 5 Switches in front of me, those are now my 5 Switches and you'd never see them again.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    That's weird because it should show up as a pro controller and I can use a pro controller in the SNES app.

It does register as a pro controller and I'm pressing L+R. I've done it with Smash no problem, but the snes app just kicks me back to controller select.

Not the end of the world, just a bit bizarre.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Finished the goose game to my satisfaction over the weekend in just over 4 hours, which is a shame because in that time I discovered it was the perfect game to play handheld on the couch while my wife was comfortwatching TV shows we've seen a dozen times or more.
    Completed all the new post-game objectives, but not the 'time trial' versions of the original ones.

And yeah, I agree that the sale price is probably the right price, I'd have trouble recommending a game that short for $30AUD, but I very much enjoyed the time I had with it.

I'm hoping for updates, there was a lot of neat stuff in there that didn't seem to serve a purpose.

My favourite of these was probably
    dropping one of the walkie talkies in the phone booth before chasing the young kid into it, then honking at him through it while standing right outside.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I bought asshole goose tonight but since I put twenty bucks on my account to do it, it couldn't resist picking up a few cheap games to go along with it. I grabbed Glaive, Over the Top Tower Defence and Membrane. They're all competent, but I'm really surprised at how fun Membrane is.

It's a neat little platform/puzzle game with an absolutely ugly artstyle. If you can get past what might be the worse unskippable intro I've seen in the past few years the game is well worth the
    discount price.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I’ve bought too many games recently. I’m juggling AI: The Somnium Files, Link’s Awakening, and Castle Crashers Remastered, along with the occasional Borderlands 3 on the PC. BL3 is kind of irritating, though, so I’ve been mostly using my Switch lately.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    LA is a lot shorter than I remember it... or I've just been blazing through it on nostalgia fuel but I'm through 6 dungeons in 2 days

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Yeah, I got BL3 by association. My son got it for his birthday and we share libraries across the two Xboxes. It's pretty fun but I've really been focused more on Gears 5, Bloodstained, finally playing GTAV, Castle Crashers, Goose Game and Farming Together. I'm basically playing a dozen game right now.

The combo of Gamepass Ultimate and the Switch indie shop is going to be the death of me.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    If the original Link's Awakening was a favorite of mine, how's the new remake hold up? Basically the same thing but with an art style change?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    If the original Link's Awakening was a favorite of mine, how's the new remake hold up? Basically the same thing but with an art style change?

As far as I can tell yes? forgiving my childhood memory a bit I don't think I've run into anything new yet? honestly the best new thing is that sword/shield/dash/lift are all removed from the two item slots and given permanent buttons/lifting is just a prompt now. I do know they added more hearts/pieces and more seashells but I'd never know which ones were the new ones personally

• Options
    Regarding Link's Awakening and buttons, I will admit that the lack of them was a pretty strong contributor to my never finishing the game the first time around. They were really trying to do more with less compared to ALTTP. I felt like I was opening up the inventory and swapping out items multiple times per screen.

I would actually like to see a remake of ALTTP that utilizes more of the controller like this version of LA. Despite all the extra buttons on the SNES, they cram everything onto just 3 of them (sword, item, action).

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Saw this drawing someone did in honor of the two games being released on the same day:

CCuTEEr.png

I would play this game. Playing as either character.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I think if we're gonna post other people's art, we should make an effort to credit the artist instead of "someone". I know this particular piece was signed with a handle, but that's not always the case.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Regarding Link's Awakening and buttons, I will admit that the lack of them was a pretty strong contributor to my never finishing the game the first time around. They were really trying to do more with less compared to ALTTP. I felt like I was opening up the inventory and swapping out items multiple times per screen.

I would actually like to see a remake of ALTTP that utilizes more of the controller like this version of LA. Despite all the extra buttons on the SNES, they cram everything onto just 3 of them (sword, item, action).

There was a poll I saw recently that asked what game should get a remake/remaster/whatever next in the Zelda series, and considering A Link to the Past is my favorite I'd love a graphical bump that kept the overall feel of the game but with modern improvements.

Though if there was a candidate for "BotW" style gameplay, I feel like Zelda II would match best with the concept, at least pulling from the old games. Though the ability to climb everything would certainly sequence break something in that game, I'm sure. I just never got far enough in it to really be that familiar with the entire flow, but the towns and dungeons and NPCs and random baddies out on the road . . . it all feels a bit right for the newest game style.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    If they did OOA/OOS, I wouldn't mind them using the same graphics as the LA remake, but I would want a different art style for a theoretical ALTPP remake.

• Options
    If they did OOA/OOS, I wouldn't mind them using the same graphics as the LA remake, but I would want a different art style for a theoretical ALTPP remake.

Basically all I'd want for LttP is A Link Between Worlds graphics.

But then that's because to me that's the only slight upgrade it needs because otherwise that game is perfect, don't change it, just make it slightly prettier.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I would love a new take on Zelda 2 from the nes. But then again I was one of the few who actually liked the original format, so I might not like where they went with a remake.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I'd want really super nice hi-res sprite-work. Like get non-horny WayForward to do it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I would love a new take on Zelda 2 from the nes. But then again I was one of the few who actually liked the original format, so I might not like where they went with a remake.

I mean, it is the only true RPG in the entire Zelda series.

*ducks*

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Basically all I'd want for LttP is A Link Between Worlds graphics.

But then that's because to me that's the only slight upgrade it needs because otherwise that game is perfect, don't change it, just make it slightly prettier.

Man, it's hard for me to table the existential dread a potential LttP remake causes. I mean I guess Nintendo does a more respectful job remastering their properties than others. I've seen nothing but rave reviews of how well the Link's Awakening remake handled the source material.

I don't even feel like the graphics need an upgrade though. They are almost flawless examples of their period. The SNES pixel art style is still being imitated today. Sometimes more faithfully in it's pallet and technical limitations than others, but even so.

I almost feel like I'd want them to go totally bonkers with a LttP remake, just to well and truly distinguish it from the original. Let there be no mixed feelings about how this is the new authoritative LttP, and the old one can be permanently retired.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I'd want really super nice hi-res sprite-work. Like get non-horny WayForward to do it.

I was like what do you mean "non-horny" and then I checked out their website and ya know, fair... But also you reminded me of the existence of Sigma Star Saga and PORT WHEN WAYFORWARD!?!?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

I freakin' loved Zelda 2 and I would love to see a new take on it, as well.

• Options
    I know this is getting a little Zelda-y in the Switch thread, but I felt like Twilight Princess took a lot of the elements from LttP and transferred them into a 3D game. So something with the look and even feel of Twilight Princess, but totally also LttP in terms of dungeons, puzzles, and layouts would be really cool.

Also, Kirby Switch game is already madness with just the wife and I. I think we need two more players over.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    A Zelda 2 remake would be cool, if they tone down the difficulty just a smidgen. Or a lot. I'd be alright with that, too.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Also, LttP only had one flaw, and that is that the sword shot fireballs at full health instead of lasers.

• Options
    I saw a Switch Lite in the wild today. It seems tinier than the OG Switch.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    If you have kids they will love Untitled Goose Game. My kids think honking and being a horrible goose is the height of comedy.

Admittedly, even for an adult it's pretty high up there on the comedy scale.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The sword should do something different every time you hit full hearts. Shoot ice. Make a rainbow. Turn the sword huge 3D Dot Heroes style.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The sword should do something different every time you hit full hearts. Shoot ice. Make a rainbow. Turn the sword huge 3D Dot Heroes style.

Oh man, put 3d dot heroes on the Switch!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I saw a Switch Lite in the wild today. It seems tinier than the OG Switch.

Take a Nintendo Switch game case, hold it on it's side, add about a quarter of an inch length to each side in your mind. The height pretty much matches up with the case. That's how big the Switch Lite is, with just about the same width as an OG Switch. It's roughly the same size as a game case.

It's freakin tiny.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    High-res art would be a lot more expensive and isn't as easily scalable as 3D models. I just don't think Nintendo would find it practical enough.

Drez wrote: »
    I mean, it is the only true RPG in the entire Zelda series.

*ducks*
    So what you're saying is RPGs are terrible?

Namrok wrote: »
    Man, it's hard for me to table the existential dread a potential LttP remake causes. ... I don't even feel like the graphics need an upgrade though. They are almost flawless examples of their period. The SNES pixel art style is still being imitated today.
    While SNES and PS1-era 2D have aged much better than the hideous 2D that came before (NES, Atari, etc.), they've still aged. I think a visual makeover in line with ALBW and some QOL updates would make it even better.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    SNES visuals are fine, not everything has to be modernized.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Also I feel like in that piece of art, the Sayonara Wild Hearts girl should be in the background on her neon bike

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SNES visuals are fine, not everything has to be modernized.

Sure, but just because you're fine with it, doesn't mean it wouldn't benefit. A remake existing doesn't stop you from enjoying the original.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Sorry I dragged that Erica tweet into this. I don't really want to make a point about whether you should care about tiny screen differences or not. I do want to make the point that, if you DO care enough about those to like, make a video or image post about how the new model has a slightly different screen, your methodology is bunk and she has the evidence as to why.