As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    nusu wrote: »
    I haven't been in the thread for a while, but was there a dust up discussion about the Overwatch physical copy just being download codes?

From the upcoming Gamestop ad:
    4kidu5iimnh6.png

At least you get a case to put on the shelf...

Retail copies of online only games with frequent updates are stupid, frankly. Overwatch now doesn't even resemble the version released to stores years ago. So what would be on the physical copy?

To me, it's less about whether or not the cartridge would be stupid or not, but rather how wasteful it is to make tons of plastic cases that serve no purpose. If you want a retail presence, that's what POSA cards are for.

Did you really need a giant plastic case to store a tiny game card in the first place? These things exist to advertise and grab attention first and foremost.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    One could definitely argue that all Switch cases are wasteful, but I think you can agree that an oversized plastic case filled with nothing is even worse.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    it's all fucking wasteful, our entire society.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Has the base game really changed all that much? I got caught up in the hype for OW and pre-ordered it on PC and hop in every once in a while but it never sticks. But I don't remember things being different each time I try.

Not really, no. There are some new modes, several new heroes, QOL improvements, but it's still the same game.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Everything about that make's me angry.

I hate buying a physical game and getting half of it as a download code this is just insulting.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    As a PC gamer...

Eh. That’s all we get these days if you buy a physical box.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Has the base game really changed all that much? I got caught up in the hype for OW and pre-ordered it on PC and hop in every once in a while but it never sticks. But I don't remember things being different each time I try.

Not really, no. There are some new modes, several new heroes, QOL improvements, but it's still the same game.

I find this not to be a very good comment. "They've doubled the content, but it's still the same." How is that the same? They've even changed how the game is allowed to be played (no dupe characters) and the entire function of certain characters.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Think of the Children is hilarious and worth the $3 if you have a coop partner. It's a little buggy and laggy but it's still good fun.

Awesome, thanks - the only reviews I'd been able to find were from people that played it single player, which seems to be very much not what it's made for.

At the sale price it wasn't so much the money I was worried about, it was more pulling out a boring game at games night I wanted to avoid.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

I find this not to be a very good comment. "They've doubled the content, but it's still the same." How is that the same? They've even changed how the game is allowed to be played (no dupe characters) and the entire function of certain characters.

Eh, the question was whether the base game really changed all that much. By the time Splatoon 2 stopped getting updates it had more than double the content but I would say the base game still played the same, the mechanics were still mostly the same. Tweaks that change up the tier list on what is most OP to me isn't earth-shattering to the base game.

You want a game that eventually became almost unrecognizable, look to something like WoW, which is why WoW Classic exists.

And I guess the core question is, if someone had hopped in to play it a few times and it didn't stick, has it changed enough that they would find it a completely new experience that might hook them by contrast to previous attempts?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    As it’s 100% online, the base game on the cartridge is irrelevant. Once the first patch rolls out, it can’t be used as you bought it, it simply refuses to connect to the server at startup until patched.

It simply comes down to whether they want to have some data on a cart and some on the Switch, which they’ve opted not to do.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I haven't been in the thread for a while, but was there a dust up discussion about the Overwatch physical copy just being download codes?

4kidu5iimnh6.png

Retail copies of online only games with frequent updates are stupid, frankly. Overwatch now doesn't even resemble the version released to stores years ago. So what would be on the physical copy?

To me, it's less about whether or not the cartridge would be stupid or not, but rather how wasteful it is to make tons of plastic cases that serve no purpose. If you want a retail presence, that's what POSA cards are for.

Did you really need a giant plastic case to store a tiny game card in the first place? These things exist to advertise and grab attention first and foremost.

They're also easier to keep track of than the game cards are by themselves, unless you've got some separate bulk storage solution.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Let's be honest here: Activision/Blizzard opted to save more money by not including the cartridge and the whole online only was a convenient excuse. They could have included all content from release until today on the cartridge.

• Options
    Let's be honest here: Activision/Blizzard opted to save more money by not including the cartridge and the whole online only was a convenient excuse. They could have included all content from release until today on the cartridge.

Yeah and then that cartridge would be outdated in a month or less. Physical copies for games that live on servers are just dumb. It's like trying to print out one of these discussion threads on paper.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Oh they absolutely could have. I just don’t see a problem with it given the online nature of the game.

But again, I’m a pc gamer and everything is digital here.

-Loki- on
  • Options

Yeah and then that cartridge would be outdated in a month or less. Physical copies for games that live on servers are just dumb. It's like trying to print out one of these discussion threads on paper.

You're right. No game has ever been patched in ever lol. So from now on any games as a live service should tell people who buy games physically to go fuck themselves then?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    There's nothing unique about Overwatch that other games haven't done. The cartridge could hold the base game with all the textures and gameplay mechanics. Those don't ever change. I didn't realize that they wiped out the entire game with every subsequent patch making you re-download everything. It's possible that they do that.... Again I rarely played it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Diablo 3 is also on Switch and has regular seasons and content patches with small tweaks here and there. Yet because they let you play and save offline, someday when the server is down forever you will still be able to pop unpatched Diablo 3 into a Switch and have a good time with it.

I would want that for Overwatch if there was a local deathmatch sort of mode between Switches, that would be pretty cool. Something to make the game retain some amount value if it ever becomes unsupported on the platform.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

You're right. No game has ever been patched in ever lol. So from now on any games as a live service should tell people who buy games physically to go fuck themselves then?

The games are already doing that. When you plug in the cartridge for your live service, you have to download 80GB from the server or whatever anyway. And it's online only to begin with.

• Options

The games are already doing that. When you plug in the cartridge for your live service, you have to download 80GB from the server or whatever anyway. And it's online only to begin with.

With a cartridge then you can resell the game and someone else can buy it at a cheaper cost and enjoy the game.

Destiny 2 is online only but I can buy the disk. The Division 2 as well. Activision/Blizzard is basically saving money and preventing people from reselling the game (thereby making more money).

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

4kidu5iimnh6.png

They're also easier to keep track of than the game cards are by themselves, unless you've got some separate bulk storage solution.

Obviously you get a gamecard wallet and store 20+ cards in the same space.

The whole concept of retail is mostly outdated now. It continues to exist for some level of impulse purchase and that's just as valid for a gamecard as a code in a box.

Hell people wouldn't even be seeking out gamecards so hard if the platform holders weren't so anal about their DRM. Or if the companies weren't such cheapasses about discontinuing old downloads. Blizzard still has freaking Diablo 1 running online, not because its profitable but because it's worth the pittance to maintain consumer confidence in their online games. I don't really see much excuse here, if you're still in business you ought to be minimally supporting all of your consumer's digital purchases.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    jesus christ guys, all other examples you gave are playable offline in their card-versions
    OW is not. The card is literally useless a month later. Diablos' isn't.
    It's absolute nonsense to make an OW card, no company would be that insane. The box is for collectors and uncles.
    Even Splatoon 2 has an offline sp mode, and Nintendo doesn't have to pay licensing fees.
    Every other online only mp game is not even available at B&M stores, they're all f2p digital.

I know there are OPINIONS, but this issue is pretty damn objective.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jesus christ guys, all other examples you gave are playable offline in their card-versions
    It's absolute nonsense to make an OW card, no company would be that insane. The box is for collectors and uncles.

urahonky has a good point about resale though.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

urahonky has a good point about resale though.

Also bandwidth caps are a real thing across much of the country. Patches on a game like overwatch are much smaller than the full game download.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Im guessing it's only physically sold in certain regions where internet caps address a real and scary thing.

• Options
    Even Splatoon 2 has an offline sp mode, and Nintendo doesn't have to pay licensing fees.
    Every other online only mp game is not even available at B&M stores, they're all f2p digital.

What about the Division 2 and Destiny 2 and Anthem? AFAIK there is no offline mode for any of those games.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Right, I said they have new modes now. For example, "No dupe characters" is a game mode. Role queue is a game mode. Mystery hero is a game mode. Etc.

But the base game is the same. It's a team shooter. If you don't like team shooters, new characters and rule changes aren't likely to change that for you.

And I have hundreds of hours in Overwatch. It's not an insult to say that the game has stayed the same at its core. In fact, if it had to dramatically change that would have been due to the initial concept flopping.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    One could definitely argue that all Switch cases are wasteful, but I think you can agree that an oversized plastic case filled with nothing is even worse.

I recall that when Blizzard put out a retail box for Heroes of the Storm that it was just a bunch of cards with various download codes inside a cardboard box. In that instance they ignored the industry standard of a plastic case. The box was still oversized for the contents (the cards were oversized too given they each only had one code) but at least everything in it would decompose.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

I recall that when Blizzard put out a retail box for Heroes of the Storm that it was just a bunch of cards with various download codes inside a cardboard box. In that instance they ignored the industry standard of a plastic case. The box was still oversized for the contents (the cards were oversized too given they each only had one code) but at least everything in it would decompose.

Dang, I forgot they even put that out. I remember buying it because it was pretty good value for the heroes & skins it came with even if you already played the game.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    dsa040fu5z05.png

Oh shit, I remember using this back in 1998 at it's E3 debut. Kind of got slightly overshadowed by a pair of small-time games releasing at the same time. Something called Pokemon and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    They're kinda cheating with using a third party cable with a bunch of extra cords instead of the simple official one.

I had a lot of fun with it back in the day, though I never actually got the printer. I recreated the pictures pixel by pixel in MSPaint instead. :P

homogenized on
  • Options

What about the Division 2 and Destiny 2 and Anthem? AFAIK there is no offline mode for any of those games.

and none of them are on the switch
    pressing disks is a billion times cheaper than building a cartridge

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019

With a cartridge then you can resell the game and someone else can buy it at a cheaper cost and enjoy the game.

Destiny 2 is online only but I can buy the disk. The Division 2 as well. Activision/Blizzard is basically saving money and preventing people from reselling the game (thereby making more money).

I hope no one will buy a Destiny 2 disc, as that content is free to play now, with expansions that the disc didn't have. Which is relevant to my point. The version of Destiny now is staggeringly different from the Disc version, to the point where your device will pretty much chuck the disc install in the garbage completely in favor of the different game it grabs from the online server. Most games come with a download code to go with the box product (see Spyro Trilogy) and the code is one time use only. I would consider resale of that product basically fraud unless the buyer is informed they'd only get 1/3rd of the product.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    Review of the Baldur's Gate games on Switch
    Of course, the big change for these console versions is the addition of analogue controls for moving your party around, and we've been hugely impressed with what Beamdog has achieved here. Using the left thumbstick to move your party about, tilting further to move faster, and controlling your camera with the right stick is a breeze and feels comfortable and totally natural. You can still switch to clicking on areas of the screen with a pointer for finer precision in battles – now known as 'tactics mode' – which is something that's especially helpful when casting spells, but we found ourselves sticking with these new controls for the most part as they just feel great and take so much of the expected work out of getting to grips with Baldur's Gate. They also do much to fix an age-old problem these games have with finicky path-finding. Taking direct control over your group does away with this problem entirely; no more watching your team members knock into their surroundings like they've had one too many pints of Tanagyr's Stout down the Splurging Sturgeon.

• Options

I hope no one will buy a Destiny 2 disc, as that content is free to play now, with expansions that the disc didn't have. Which is relevant to my point. The version of Destiny now is staggeringly different from the Disc version, to the point where your device will pretty much chuck the disc install in the garbage completely in favor of the different game it grabs from the online server. Most games come with a download code to go with the box product (see Spyro Trilogy) and the code is one time use only. I would consider resale of that product basically fraud unless the buyer is informed they'd only get 1/3rd of the product.

Honestly I thought about that with Resident Evil Revelations collection. When I bought it I figured I was getting both games, but I get the first one on the cartridge and the second one had a download code. I wonder how places like Gamestop handle that.

• Options

and none of them are on the switch
    pressing disks is a billion times cheaper than building a cartridge

So it IS about the company being cheap and trying to save money to print the cartridge. They could have eaten the cost, put it on a cartridge and allowed the consumer to resell the game whenever they want.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    dsa040fu5z05.png

Oh shit, I remember using this back in 1998 at it's E3 debut. Kind of got slightly overshadowed by a pair of small-time games releasing at the same time. Something called Pokemon and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. :D

I just recently found my Game Boy pocket with GB Camera still docked at the bottom of a box, batteries still inside and everything. Worked like I just switched it on yesterday.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Review of the Baldur's Gate games on Switch
    Of course, the big change for these console versions is the addition of analogue controls for moving your party around, and we've been hugely impressed with what Beamdog has achieved here. Using the left thumbstick to move your party about, tilting further to move faster, and controlling your camera with the right stick is a breeze and feels comfortable and totally natural. You can still switch to clicking on areas of the screen with a pointer for finer precision in battles – now known as 'tactics mode' – which is something that's especially helpful when casting spells, but we found ourselves sticking with these new controls for the most part as they just feel great and take so much of the expected work out of getting to grips with Baldur's Gate. They also do much to fix an age-old problem these games have with finicky path-finding. Taking direct control over your group does away with this problem entirely; no more watching your team members knock into their surroundings like they've had one too many pints of Tanagyr's Stout down the Splurging Sturgeon.

That sounds amazing.

I might quintuple dip on these games again.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    dsa040fu5z05.png

I just recently found my Game Boy pocket with GB Camera still docked at the bottom of a box, batteries still inside and everything. Worked like I just switched it on yesterday.

Nintendo's battery technology is something else. I've been through at least three batteries for my PSP but my DS Lite still turns on every few years when I come across it at my folks' house. And I'd like to see the schematics for the miniature fusion reactor in the Switch pro controller.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    dsa040fu5z05.png

Insert standard "made of Nintendium" comments here.
    Yes, I DID send joycons in for repair due to drift a year ago, why do you ask?

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.