As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Unrelated to everything except discussion of battery technology...I've heard some plaintive beeps coming from my storage room, and I haven't yet fished it out to determine the culprit, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from my box of Tiger electronic handhelds and it's probably the death rattle of one of these:

IS8ESls.png

Probably gonna open it up to caked battery acid.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Unrelated to everything except discussion of battery technology...I've heard some plaintive beeps coming from my storage room, and I haven't yet fished it out to determine the culprit, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from my box of Tiger electronic handhelds and it's probably the death rattle of one of these:

IS8ESls.png

And that's how UncleSporky became a super hero.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

IS8ESls.png

I really, really don't want to sound condescending when I ask this, since I'm genuinely curious. Here goes:

Why do you own that?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I was like 10 years old!

I also have this:

wWsx3lp.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Did you... Did you think it was a sex toy or something?

"Why do you own a game?"

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    jesus christ guys, all other examples you gave are playable offline in their card-versions
    OW is not. The card is literally useless a month later. Diablos' isn't.
    It's absolute nonsense to make an OW card, no company would be that insane. The box is for collectors and uncles.
    Even Splatoon 2 has an offline sp mode, and Nintendo doesn't have to pay licensing fees.
    Every other online only mp game is not even available at B&M stores, they're all f2p digital.

I know there are OPINIONS, but this issue is pretty damn objective.

What about the Division 2 and Destiny 2 and Anthem? AFAIK there is no offline mode for any of those games.

and none of them are on the switch
    pressing disks is a billion times cheaper than building a cartridge

So it IS about the company being cheap and trying to save money to print the cartridge. They could have eaten the cost, put it on a cartridge and allowed the consumer to resell the game whenever they want.

It’s absolutely about preventing resale. On the other hand, it’s $20 cheaper than the game on other consoles so an optimistic view is that you’re getting that resale value back up-front.

That may be a little too Pollyanna.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh, we wouldn't be asking "Why do you own that?" for a sex toy.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I don't want to make this a fuck Blizzard thread but don't buy Overwatch anyway. Fuck Blizzard.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    jesus christ guys, all other examples you gave are playable offline in their card-versions
    It's absolute nonsense to make an OW card, no company would be that insane. The box is for collectors and uncles.
    Even Splatoon 2 has an offline sp mode, and Nintendo doesn't have to pay licensing fees.
    Every other online only mp game is not even available at B&M stores, they're all f2p digital.

What about the Division 2 and Destiny 2 and Anthem? AFAIK there is no offline mode for any of those games.

So it IS about the company being cheap and trying to save money to print the cartridge. They could have eaten the cost, put it on a cartridge and allowed the consumer to resell the game whenever they want.

It’s absolutely about preventing resale. On the other hand, it’s $20 cheaper than the game on other consoles so an optimistic view is that you’re getting that resale value back up-front.

It's not any cheaper on Switch. Unless you're comparing the price of it on Switch to the price that it had on PS4/XBO at launch.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I was like 10 years old!

I also have this:

[img]htt ps://i.imgur.com/wWsx3lp.png[/img]

Oh hey I have that! I played that shit all the time. Also this thing.

2jp4c7ogpgdi.png

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    High Resolution Dot Matrix graphics

That's amazing.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I don't want to make this a fuck Blizzard thread but don't buy Overwatch anyway. Fuck Blizzard.

That’s what I was gonna say. I don’t wanna buy anything from them again, at least until they break with Activision.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

That’s what I was gonna say. I don’t wanna buy anything from them again, at least until they break with Activision.

They aren't going to/can't. Blizzard doesn't exist as its own entity. It is a wholly owned department of Activision. There is no distinction between the two companies.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    High Resolution Dot Matrix graphics

That's amazing.

At one point, 320x200 was the highest resolution in the world, so calling it "high resolution" was technically correct. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »

It's not any cheaper on Switch. Unless you're comparing the price of it on Switch to the price that it had on PS4/XBO at launch.

It's $40 on Switch and still $60 on PSN.

Well it's on sale for $20 on PSN right now but list price is still $60.

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Witcher 3 reviews are out. All really positive. It seems they are all being done by people who played 150+ hours of it when it was new on a much more powerful console/PC. I’d like impressions from someone with NO ties or experience with the original version. An untainted look if you will. How does it fare as a brand new Switch game?

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

It's a damn shame, because I was really looking forward to finally playing Diablo 3. It didn't work well on my computer back in the day so I never bought it, and now that it's on Switch I was finally gotta pick it up...was just waiting for a decent deal.

But now it's off the wishlist completely. Glad I didn't snap and buy it yet I guess.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Witcher 3 reviews are out. All really positive. It seems they are all being done by people who played 150+ hours of it when it was new on a much more powerful console/PC. I’d like impressions from someone with NO ties or experience with the original version. An untainted look if you will. How does it fare as a brand new Switch game?

It's not someone who hasn't played the other versions, but he says the Switch version looks great and runs fine, even with the downgrade.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    It's probably easier for me to accept the performance of Switcher 3 because I have seen how bad it can get.

I have seen the depths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sG21EKGxw

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I mean... a lot of that looks like a really cool art style choice.

• Options

We're talking about physical though (or in the case of the Switch version, "physical"). Retail copies of Overwatch haven't been $60 in ages.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Did you... Did you think it was a sex toy or something?

"Why do you own a game?"

Paige, no!

My Switcher copy has shipped, scheduled to arrive by 11pm tomorrow. Why not now, Amazon? WHY NOT NOW?!?!?!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

We're talking about physical though (or in the case of the Switch version, "physical"). Retail copies of Overwatch haven't been $60 in ages.

Huh. My bad, then. So it is just about preventing resale with no upside. Wonder why they didn't drop the digital price when they changed the list price for physical.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I was like 10 years old!

I also have this:

wWsx3lp.png

Now I gotta find my LCD Starfox watch!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
      edited October 2019

Huh. My bad, then. So it is just about preventing resale with no upside. Wonder why they didn't drop the digital price when they changed the list price for physical.

This is a nice upside but I really doubt it's primary motivation. Most of those CD copies were sold at the rate for $60 games to retail stores. They are the ones who got shafted dropping the price to move the leftovers. Now that Blizzard are selling a fresh printing of the game at half price to stores and looking down a more expensive gamecard they are cheaping out, just like Bethesda did with young blood.

rahkeesh2000 on
    • Options
      The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
      PC OW accounts still get bought sold all the time afaik, reselling isn't something they've ever cracked down on

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    • Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      So Revenge of the Bird King is far better than any nine cent game deserves to be. It's a solid 8 bit style platformer with throwable turrets where you play as an eagle. Sort of a Mega Man feeling but the half hour I've spent with it so far has been very surprising.

• Options
      BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
      PC OW accounts still get bought sold all the time afaik, reselling isn't something they've ever cracked down on

It's not as much as one would get for a wow account back in the day

• Options
      BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
      Aistan wrote: »

They aren't going to/can't. Blizzard doesn't exist as its own entity. It is a wholly owned department of Activision. There is no distinction between the two companies.

interesting trivia: Blizzard hasn't owned itself since 1994, right before it changed its name to Blizzard Entertainment and shipped Warcraft 1. Read the history section of Blizzard's wikipedia article for a wild ride through the world of mergers and acquisitions.

BahamutZERO.gif
    • Options
      LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
      nusu wrote: »
      I haven't been in the thread for a while, but was there a dust up discussion about the Overwatch physical copy just being download codes?

From the upcoming Gamestop ad:
      4kidu5iimnh6.png

At least you get a case to put on the shelf...

Retail copies of online only games with frequent updates are stupid, frankly. Overwatch now doesn't even resemble the version released to stores years ago. So what would be on the physical copy?

To me, it's less about whether or not the cartridge would be stupid or not, but rather how wasteful it is to make tons of plastic cases that serve no purpose. If you want a retail presence, that's what POSA cards are for.

Did you really need a giant plastic case to store a tiny game card in the first place? These things exist to advertise and grab attention first and foremost.

They're also easier to keep track of than the game cards are by themselves, unless you've got some separate bulk storage solution.

Obviously you get a gamecard wallet and store 20+ cards in the same space.

That would be the sort of bulk storage solution I'd just spoken of.
      The whole concept of retail is mostly outdated now. It continues to exist for some level of impulse purchase and that's just as valid for a gamecard as a code in a box.

Hell people wouldn't even be seeking out gamecards so hard if the platform holders weren't so anal about their DRM. Or if the companies weren't such cheapasses about discontinuing old downloads. Blizzard still has freaking Diablo 1 running online, not because its profitable but because it's worth the pittance to maintain consumer confidence in their online games. I don't really see much excuse here, if you're still in business you ought to be minimally supporting all of your consumer's digital purchases.

For what it's worth, I prefer to get a physical copy for one or two reasons:

1) Save storage space on my microSD card for games that are only downloadable.

2) To have a copy of the game I can use when servers go down and it can no longer be downloaded.

This sham of a physical Overwatch release not only serves neither purpose, but also produces further waste for landfills that I'm betting won't decompose.

Something like what Steel Angel said they did for Heroes of the Storm, or SEGA is doing with Football Manager 2020 would be far preferable to this egregious waste that benefits virtually no one.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    • Options
      WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Baldur's Gate also supposedly releases today and I'm just kind of curious to find out how those games even work on Switch.

• Options
      SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
      Help me out here. I own two Switches - a lite and a regular. My lite is now my primary switch with the regular remaining docked for the most part requiring an internet connection to play most games.

My question is, are there any games my partner and I can play together with us each on our own Switch? I was hoping we could do coop Stardew but it looks like it would require us both to have copies of Stardew.

• Options
      Help me out here. I own two Switches - a lite and a regular. My lite is now my primary switch with the regular remaining docked for the most part requiring an internet connection to play most games.

My question is, are there any games my partner and I can play together with us each on our own Switch? I was hoping we could do coop Stardew but it looks like it would require us both to have copies of Stardew.

Nearly every game requires two copies to be able to play the game. Download play thrived back on the DS and was awesome but we're long since past that time.

Pac-Man Vs. has a free download to be playable in multiplayer with only one copy of Namco Museum. I have heard it's a great game but I don't know if it's at its best with just two players.

For anything else if you don't want to buy two copies, you're going to have to look to completely free games.

Warframe is pretty awesome once you get into it.

DC Universe Online is also a surprisingly solid MMO for being free.

After that you get into Fortnite, Paladins, Arena of Valor.

Or you just get two copies of Stardew because it's probably more fun and chill for just two people than all the rest.

• Options
      edited October 2019
      UncleSporky on
    • Options
      I love Pac-Man Vs., and I will confirm it's boring with only 2 players. 3 is good, 4 is great.

• Options
      SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Nearly every game requires two copies to be able to play the game. Download play thrived back on the DS and was awesome but we're long since past that time.

Pac-Man Vs. has a free download to be playable in multiplayer with only one copy of Namco Museum. I have heard it's a great game but I don't know if it's at its best with just two players.

For anything else if you don't want to buy two copies, you're going to have to look to completely free games.

Warframe is pretty awesome once you get into it.

DC Universe Online is also a surprisingly solid MMO for being free.

After that you get into Fortnite, Paladins, Arena of Valor.

Or you just get two copies of Stardew because it's probably more fun and chill for just two people than all the rest.

*loud fart noise*

But thanks for the info!

• Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited October 2019
      Handsome Costanza on
      Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • Options
      I feel bad that fans were going to be able to meet with voice actors and that all was cancelled, voice actors generally seem like the nicer, humbler side of celebrity where they're really appreciative of the fans and it ends up being a good time all around.

Although at least one Overwatch voice actress is uhh...

• Options
      rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
      edited October 2019

Does your partner have their own switch on top of the lite and regular you mentioned? Because I imagine the trick of trying to multiplay on two systems using the same Nintendo account is going to be a special case. There *might* be a chance of doing local/ad-hoc multiplay if your lite stays off the internet, but Nintendo might've blocked that too.

rahkeesh2000 on
    • Options
      CruorCruor Registered User regular
      I feel bad that fans were going to be able to meet with voice actors and that all was cancelled, voice actors generally seem like the nicer, humbler side of celebrity where they're really appreciative of the fans and it ends up being a good time all around.

Although at least one Overwatch voice actress is uhh...

You can't really blame the citizens of mainland China for not knowing/talking about a lot of the monstrous things China does. I mean...they're actively punished if they know about it/talk about it. With the social credit system, a person with her level of celebrity might even be penalized for not actively praising China, who knows. While it would be nice if she would take a stand against China's super fucked up doings, it's understandable if she doesn't due to the ways they could fuck up her life.