As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    "Ships from and sold by" isn't even 100% for avoiding Amazon counterfeits, they are just intentionally mixing things in. Best bet is to price match a B&M store.

Yeah, the whole thing about Amazon's inventory system is that they just ship you the closest item to you. If you live in New York and tried to order from West Coast Provider because they had a bunch of 5 star ratings, but Counterfeiter's LLC dropped a bunch of fakes off at an Amazon warehouse a block away from you, you are getting the counterfeits.
    One thing I should mention is that I think that only applies to items that are comingled. Since it is cheaper for the seller, my understanding is that they send in products and it gets an ASIN based off of the UPC on the packaging. So if someone packs in a knockoff SD card with good enough packaging, it is going to get mixed in with legitimate items.

You can spend a bit more and get a unique ASIN for your product. I've seen products "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com", and the same item sold by the manufacturer and the inventory should be kept separate. For example, here is a SN30 Pro+ from Amazon (ASIN B07T8JKVNT) and here is one from 8bitdo Direct on Amazon (ASIN B07VDMVQF2). If you look at the other sellers section on the latter there is only one (8bitdo Direct) even though fulfillment is by Amazon.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I've never had problems with counterfeits on Amazon. Makes me wonder if it's a regional thing.

I'm in Ohio and it's only been on the one SD card I bought from Amazon. So far everything else seems to be pretty good.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Now that all of my games and assorted such is downloaded and patched new joycons freshly adorning my switch.

I can't decide if i want to play Elusive age or fire emblem.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

Oh look at that Steam Type pokemon sighted on the SteamWorld series twitter

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Talith wrote: »

Oh look at that Steam Type pokemon sighted on the SteamWorld series twitter

They're just Water/Fire Type Pokémon, surely.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I've never had problems with counterfeits on Amazon. Makes me wonder if it's a regional thing.

It would make a ton of sense if it were a regional thing, since it's based on proximity to warehouses where items get dropped off.
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm in Ohio and it's only been on the one SD card I bought from Amazon. So far everything else seems to be pretty good.

It also depends a lot on what you are buying. I've had good enough luck preordering video games. My wife has had to return half the maternity stuff she's ordered. She'll even find an item she likes, so she orders another, and it shows up feeling 2 sizes to small, with a much rougher fabric and a much worse cut. Classic chinese knockoff. We've both ordered bluetooth headsets that show up and die in a week. There is a huge boardgame counterfeit issue. I've seen insane estimates from some publishers claiming over 50% of the inventory of that game on Amazon is counterfeit. You can usually tell by the colors being more washed out, plastic being cut rougher, cards not being centered correctly, etc. Tons of counterfeit cell phone charges that fall apart on us or burn out the charging port on our phones. Killed my wife's sad old Samsung S4 once upon a time.

But like I said, could be extremely regional. That would absolutely make sense to me. But it's amazing how thoroughly Amazon has torched to the ground their shopping experience for my household. I never thought anything could drive me back to B&M stores, but the insane frustration of trying to sift through Chinese counterfeits managed to do it.

Namrok on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »

It would make a ton of sense if it were a regional thing, since it's based on proximity to warehouses where items get dropped off.
    urahonky wrote: »

It also depends a lot on what you are buying. I've had good enough luck preordering video games. My wife has had to return half the maternity stuff she's ordered. She'll even find an item she likes, so she orders another, and it shows up feeling 2 sizes to small, with a much rougher fabric and a much worse cut. Classic chinese knockoff. We've both ordered bluetooth headsets that show up and die in a week. There is a huge boardgame counterfeit issue. I've seen insane estimates from some publishers claiming over 50% of the inventory of that game on Amazon is counterfeit. You can usually tell by the colors being more washed out, plastic being cut rougher, cards not being centered correctly, etc. Tons of counterfeit cell phone charges that fall apart on us or burn out the charging port on our phones. Killed my wife's sad old Samsung S4 once upon a time.

But like I said, could be extremely regional. That would absolutely make sense to me. But it's amazing how thoroughly Amazon has torched to the ground their shopping experience for my household. I never thought anything could drive me back to B&M stores, but the insane frustration of trying to sift through Chinese counterfeits managed to do it.

Yeah trying to find a decent pair of headphones or mp3 players is really interesting.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    I know I'm pretty late but seriously Fuck EA. I thought they had gotten rid of Legacy editions of FIFA but here we are with FIFA 20 on the switch. Absolute shambolic behaviour.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    It’s all well and good to say Fuck EA.

Don’t buy anything from them either.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    That's made a lot easier when they don't really make anything worth playing anymore. I remember back when they made games like Desert Strike and Road Rash, and published James Pond and Theme Park...those days are so far gone.

The best they do is fund the odd game that looks a bit indie and might show some artistry, but they're easy enough to avoid knowing it's EA.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That's made a lot easier when they don't really make anything worth playing anymore. I remember back when they made games like Desert Strike and Road Rash, and published James Pond and Theme Park...those days are so far gone.

The best they do is fund the odd game that looks a bit indie and might show some artistry, but they're easy enough to avoid knowing it's EA.

Well, there's Bioware's stuff, but that point has a chance of becoming moot soon.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It's me. I buy the Sims and really liked Unravel. I also buy Madden when they drop it super cheap.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I unfortunately was suckered into Anthem. I'll never live down that regret. :(

Burnout Paradise and Mirror's Edge was the last time I've happily given them money.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    The problem is worh football/soccer games theres FIFA and PES but only FIFA is on the switch right now.

While the switch versions of the past fifa titles weren't great they had enough to have a little fun. But EA has decided to dredge up the old 'Legacy edition` they did on portable versions and old consoles a while back where they took last years version and updated the roster but made absolutely no other changes to the game. I'm guessing for legal reasons they have to state this on the box.

This latest version is the literal version the jokes we used to say about sports titles and I thought after the disaster EA had with doing this in the past might have stopped it but no.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    It's me. I buy the Sims and really liked Unravel. I also buy Madden when they drop it super cheap.

I always forget if Unravel was EA or Ubisoft, because in my head it's always sorted as "the one game in their whole E3 show that was courting the crowd who like small indie-looking character/art-driven games." And I couldn't remember which company it was.

Another one of those was that one that was set at night in a forest with a little dark woodland critter guy. EDIT: Oh yeah it was Fe, also by EA.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Burnout Paradise and Mirror's Edge was the last time I've happily given them money.

I loved the hell out of Mirror’s Edge Catalyst.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I won't pretend I wouldn't have preferred a game more like the first one, but MEC is underrated.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So, Neo Cab is good, but there's some seriously game breaking bugs that you should probably be aware of. If you play through the demo and then upload your progress to the full game there are several sections of dialogue in the main questline (and other places) that will soft lock your game repeatedly each time you reach them and will not allow you to proceed. It basically makes the game unprogressable and you cant avoid it since some are in the main quest. There was also a lot of shenanigans with even getting the game to start for me. For some reason none of the menu options on the title screen worked and hitting + or - would switch to a slightly altered looking menu with a different background and no credits menu. I had to archive the demo to get it to work. The devs are aware and are instructing people to start new games until it can be fixed, although people are reporting still having issues even after starting over. There have also been reports of people who never played the demo encountering the same bugs. Either way I'd hold off on the game until they can fix it if you havent already bought it

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

I wouldn't know, it ran unplayably on my computer. Note that this is a computer that still is running pretty much everything I throw at it right now, on an average of High, and having very little trouble. But Catalyst? It was a slideshow. I have no idea how or why.

A pity, because I loved the first Mirror's Edge.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I had a plan. And I thought it was a pretty good plan. Roughly, it went like this:

OK, I'll wrap up this, my third Fire Emblem Three Houses playthrough, and then I'll put the game aside until the DLC's out so I can devote my Switch playing time to Daemon X Machina or Dragon Quest XI, you know, games I haven't already finished three times.

Anyway, here I am, having wrapped up my third Fire Emblem Three Houses playthrough, and I'm awful tempted to start a fourth Fire Emblem Three Houses playthrough. I suppose the major flaw in my plan was that I didn't account for my unreasonable love of Fire Emblem.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I had a plan. And I thought it was a pretty good plan. Roughly, it went like this:

OK, I'll wrap up this, my third Fire Emblem Three Houses playthrough, and then I'll put the game aside until the DLC's out so I can devote my Switch playing time to Daemon X Machina or Dragon Quest XI, you know, games I haven't already finished three times.

Anyway, here I am, having wrapped up my third Fire Emblem Three Houses playthrough, and I'm awful tempted to start a fourth Fire Emblem Three Houses playthrough. I suppose the major flaw in my plan was that I didn't account for my unreasonable love of Fire Emblem.
    That and there being four paths?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Kupi wrote: »

Well, yeah, but I've played Crimson Flower twice now. Still need to do Azure Moon and Silver Snow.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

Well, yeah, but I've played Crimson Flower twice now. Still need to do Azure Moon and Silver Snow.
    Silver Snow is probably the most expendable path, despite my fondess for it. You learn most of the same dirty church secrets in Golden Deer and the ending sequence is... kinda incoherent?

Blue Lions is substantially different tha the other paths.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

I wouldn't know, it ran unplayably on my computer. Note that this is a computer that still is running pretty much everything I throw at it right now, on an average of High, and having very little trouble. But Catalyst? It was a slideshow. I have no idea how or why.

A pity, because I loved the first Mirror's Edge.

As I remember, there was that NVidia thing that does some like hair physics stuff that the right video cards could run, and they turned it on by default or didn't use auto detect or something, so I had to disable it to avoid the slideshow on my Radeon.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It has come to my attention that at game I enjoy very much on my phone, Eternal: the Card Game is out on Switch.

Its essentially a very, very, very good MtG ripoff. Five colors, deckbuilding, mana, etc. It combines the accessibility of Hearthstone with the depth of MtG. It also utilizes the fact that its digital in impressive ways without the unholy amounts of RNG that Hearthstone relies on.

Red -> Fire
    White -> Justice*
    Green -> Time*
    Black -> Shadow**
    Blue -> Primal**

* MtG's White and Green mechanics got split between Time and Justice. Time got all the healz of White and big butts/ramping of Green. Justice got all the weenie buffers of White, and got the classic white sweeper and has the capacity for big booty Green.
    ** MtG's Blue mechanics are split between Primal and Shadow. Primal got all the flying, card draw and a ton of instants. Shadow received black's instant kills, card resurrection and simultaneously received Blue's milling.

Examples of how it exploits the fact that its digital is in the attributes, many of which don't have physical card game analogues:
    Warcry: when this unit attacks, the unit or weapon at the top of your deck gets +1/+1
    Warp: If a unit with Warp is at the top of your deck, it is revealed to (only) you and playable
    Merchant: A unit that lets you swap a card with a 5-card sideboard called a Market
    Echo: A unit that makes a copy of itself when it is drawn.

There are plenty of attributes that are straight out of MtG and Hearthstone. Charge, Flight, Deadly (Poisonous)

Its set in a dungeon-punk universe (wizards n' cowboys.) I'm personally invested in this universe because the developers made the real life board game Clank!, one of the best games I've ever played.

It hands out packs like candy but can be expensive to get into. Also, deck size is 75 so that can lead to nightmarish floods. The mulligan system tries to compensate: a mulligan guarantees you 2-4 mana.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    They also just came out with a deckbuilder implementation of Eternal but I havent tried it yet because I have a bit of a deckbuilder problem and I'm trying to hold off

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    They also just came out with a deckbuilder implementation of Eternal but I havent tried it yet because I have a bit of a deckbuilder problem and I'm trying to hold off

I suppose I could play it, but then I wouldn't be playing Clank.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    for those of you who are Super Serious about card games, Eternal's whole market system was a powercreep disaster that they've been trying to rectify for a while. I heard they introduced rotations so hopefully that's sorted by now, but I fell off that bandwagon a while ago.

If you're just looking for another card game to play casually it's great, and rewards just logging in for a game or two a day extraordinarily well.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I went to my cousin's wedding last night and after me and my brother went to the flea market to troll around and one of the stands were selling card sets for amiibos. Like 10$ per set he was even testing them for people to show that they worked.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I went to my cousin's wedding last night and after me and my brother went to the flea market to troll around and one of the stands were selling card sets for amiibos. Like 10$ per set he was even testing them for people to show that they worked.

Like NFC cards loaded with Amiibo codes? I'm convinced this is largely why Nintendo stopped putting anything worthwhile behind Amiibo scans.

Cards/tags are like $1 each and you can just load them up with a free mobile app. It's busted wide open.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i got me a 19 sticker set of zelda amiibos, there was far too much cool stuff in BotW and amiibos are like 20x more expensive where I live.
    Believe me, were I living in the USA I'd bought all the amiibos there is.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I liked the cards he was selling a lot more then the Amiibo they were tiny felt like credit card like material each one had stylized artwork of the amiibo character it was supposed to represent and he had them in tiny metal themed carrying cases.

Wish Nintendo would make these things.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    You can buy them on Amazon as well.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Those amiibo cards sound like something I’d want even without the amiibo functionality.

I hope Animal Crossing supports the old AC amiibo cards. I loved being able to get the animal I want. I can’t imagine a town without Elmer. There’s no reason to exclude the functionality, unless Nintendo just doesn’t care.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    They probably won't support the amiibo cards due to some new mechanics with how animals show up and build houses, or re-evaluating which animals are even part of the game. This isn't based on anything they've said or shown, just a guess.

Nintendo probably doesn't see the series like Pokemon where they need to support an ever-growing roster, see the chart here for the inconsistencies with which animals show up in which games.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Cantido wrote: »
    It has come to my attention that at game I enjoy very much on my phone, Eternal: the Card Game is out on Switch.

I'm finding rumors of Eternal having already been released to be greatly exaggerated.

Just a reminder to wait till Tuesday and not check today like I did.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

I'm finding rumors of Eternal having already been released to be greatly exaggerated.

Just a reminder to wait till Tuesday and not check today like I did.

I saw it in the wild a few weeks ago but I don't know how readily available it was or how well stocked it'd be anywhere. My LGS is like the big game store in Chicago so they usually get most any new thing from a major company. Worth calling your local at least to check.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    So I'm finally upgrading my Switch's SD Card and all of my games Save Data is kept on the System Memory correct? So if I wanted to just say fuck it, and pop in and format the new card and just re-download my games from the eShop, I wouldn't have any problem right?

On the topic of SD cards I was pretty shocked to see the price difference between the Switch branded SD cards and regular SD cards of the same size.

Its essentially a very, very, very good MtG ripoff. Five colors, deckbuilding, mana, etc. It combines the accessibility of Hearthstone with the depth of MtG. It also utilizes the fact that its digital in impressive ways without the unholy amounts of RNG that Hearthstone relies on.

Red -> Fire
    White -> Justice*
    Green -> Time*
    Black -> Shadow**
    Blue -> Primal**

* MtG's White and Green mechanics got split between Time and Justice. Time got all the healz of White and big butts/ramping of Green. Justice got all the weenie buffers of White, and got the classic white sweeper and has the capacity for big booty Green.
    ** MtG's Blue mechanics are split between Primal and Shadow. Primal got all the flying, card draw and a ton of instants. Shadow received black's instant kills, card resurrection and simultaneously received Blue's milling.

Examples of how it exploits the fact that its digital is in the attributes, many of which don't have physical card game analogues:
    Warcry: when this unit attacks, the unit or weapon at the top of your deck gets +1/+1
    Warp: If a unit with Warp is at the top of your deck, it is revealed to (only) you and playable
    Merchant: A unit that lets you swap a card with a 5-card sideboard called a Market
    Echo: A unit that makes a copy of itself when it is drawn.

There are plenty of attributes that are straight out of MtG and Hearthstone. Charge, Flight, Deadly (Poisonous)

Its set in a dungeon-punk universe (wizards n' cowboys.) I'm personally invested in this universe because the developers made the real life board game Clank!, one of the best games I've ever played.

It hands out packs like candy but can be expensive to get into. Also, deck size is 75 so that can lead to nightmarish floods. The mulligan system tries to compensate: a mulligan guarantees you 2-4 mana.

Wait, so are there microtransactions in it? I'm a big ole hoebag for deck builders but StS has basically become everything I need due to its lack of pay as you go wonkiness.