As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Xenoblade Chronicles is also actually good and fun as opposed to 2.

Except 2 is also good and fun so

Opinions, right?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    My memory of Doom 64 goes like this: I'm at a friend's house in the country for the weekend, me and his brothers. Some of them are playing Doom 64, and make it to the final level, but are just unable to beat it. From what I remember, it involved this giant arena with 4 portals that just kept spewing out monsters before the final boss showed up, and the problem was they kept running out of ammo. They got fed up and gave up, but the rest of us kept going. And we kept doing this back and forth playing, where 1 group would try to do the monster wave with as much health and ammo as possible, then when the boss came go tell them "Ok we have 85% health, full BFG and plasma rifles, and 20 shotgun shells", and they'd try to beat the boss. We never did.

Later on I learned that apparently you're supposed to find some keys or crests or something during the game, and you can turn those teleporters off. Yeah that would have made the whole ordeal a lot easier.

Well this is handy knowledge for when I play it.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So, if I never got to play the original Xenoblade Chronicles I should wait until that remaster comes out, play that, then play the second one?

Also, I basically missed almost everything on the Nintendo Systems since the end of the N64 (I've played Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on the GC, as well as the first Metroid Prime and the GC Paper Mario, and we have Epic Micky, Rune Factory Frontier, Lost in Shadow, Muramasa, and Super Paper Mario for the Wii, the last two I have yet to even get to). So, are there any things during that time on the GC/Wii/WiiU consoles that were really big misses that have had reissues?

Finally, I have to say it speaks to their quality that I legitimately can't decide if I should continue playing Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild. Neither are quite like their predecessors, but both are just such enjoyable and pretty games. We also have the 4 player Kirby Switch game, because insanity and the demo was fun.

The fact that XC2 is a sequel doesn't matter for 99.5% of the game. Fans will see the nods and get a little understanding of some specific things. Otherwise don't worry about it...but XC is awesome and you may as well play it first if you have the option.

I only played through the first 1/3-1/2 of XC1 and loved XC2, never felt like I was missing out on anything. There's some VERY brief moments where I am guessing it links back to XC1, but in more of a wink-wink sort of way and without any real bearing on the plot, characters, or motivations at hand, and presented in a way where its appropriate and you'd never guess there was a XC1 if you didn't know it already existed.

If anything I feel like playing them in reverse-order could be interesting in it's own right.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    My memory of Doom 64 goes like this: I'm at a friend's house in the country for the weekend, me and his brothers. Some of them are playing Doom 64, and make it to the final level, but are just unable to beat it. From what I remember, it involved this giant arena with 4 portals that just kept spewing out monsters before the final boss showed up, and the problem was they kept running out of ammo. They got fed up and gave up, but the rest of us kept going. And we kept doing this back and forth playing, where 1 group would try to do the monster wave with as much health and ammo as possible, then when the boss came go tell them "Ok we have 85% health, full BFG and plasma rifles, and 20 shotgun shells", and they'd try to beat the boss. We never did.

Later on I learned that apparently you're supposed to find some keys or crests or something during the game, and you can turn those teleporters off. Yeah that would have made the whole ordeal a lot easier.

There'as also a super powerful secret laser weapon that gets powerups with each of those keys. With 3 keys it's basically unstoppable.

Edit: WHERE THE HELL IS SNESFLIX?!?

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Can't wait for 2 games to support it not including mario kart wheel.

I am really hoping this 20 game drop isnt it, I am holding out hope for MarioRPG

steam_sig.png
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    It's up!! SNES online.

The only thing I can think of as I play it: @UncleSporky betrayed us!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited September 2019
      SNESFLIX IS UP FOR DL IN THE NSO SECTION OF ESHOP GOGOGOGOGOGOGOVOGO

Edit: Or just, take your time, whatever. It's up though.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
      The free to play Kirby game is really fuckin' good y'all! Very compelling, but thus far zero incentive to buy real money stuff and I've been at it all evening.

It's like Monster Hunter light.

I've had a few slow motion online games but most have been great and the fights are over in a few minutes either way.

That’s funny, when trying to describe it to my husband I said, “You know what? It’s Monster Hunter: Kirby”

We tried a bit, but when he saw the “spend gems to add time [to the fight]” he pretty much noped right out.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
      Twitch: akThera
      Steam: Thera
    • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
      Maz- wrote: »

I'm actually excited. I've been looking into ways to get back in shape and would gladly spend 30-45 minutes a day playing a Switch game to do that. Switch Boxing was looking like a good alternative, but not for $50. Maybe Switch Fit will do that and more.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »
      TMS#FE is a game I only played an hour or so of before selling it...
      Pretty much my experience as well. Found a really cheap second hand copy and... I liked that first hour, and I'm sure there's more of a gem of a game there, but I think I just got distracted* by other games I wanted to spend more time on.
      The presentation (the menus etc) is all top notch and leaves a great first impression.

*That and I preferred using the WiiU pro controller, and TMS#FE needed you to have the Gamepad powered on/connected at the same time, even when you weren't using it. #FirstWorld-'Problems'...

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
      akjak wrote: »
      The free to play Kirby game is really fuckin' good y'all! Very compelling, but thus far zero incentive to buy real money stuff and I've been at it all evening.

I've had a few slow motion online games but most have been great and the fights are over in a few minutes either way.

That’s funny, when trying to describe it to my husband I said, “You know what? It’s Monster Hunter: Kirby”

We tried a bit, but when he saw the “spend gems to add time [to the fight]” he pretty much noped right out.

If it helps, it is not a microtransaction gatcha slot machine game. Nintendo's "free to start" games are really interesting things. There are microtransactions in the form of gems (gem apples in this case), and there is a stupid stamina "pony up or stop playing" system. But there's also a limit on how much you can spend before the game refuses to take any more of your money, which tends to coincidently be the price of a full game. And at which point all the bullshit gets removed from the game (in this case you'll be getting so many free apples from the tree each day there's no reason to ever buy more).

I don't really have a problem with this kind of MTX system. They really do want you to spend something, and will make the game as grindy as all fuck if you don't. But they're not actually preying on you. The fact that they'll flat out tell you "We don't want your money anymore" is what really makes me kind of respect this system.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
      So basically they are just obscuring the real cost of the game. Like the $10 XP booster for Asscreed Odyssey.

I mean its not a horrible endless slot machine, but its not exactly prosumer either.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
      edited September 2019
      I already have an 8bitdo controller, but I am definitely getting one of those wireless SNES controllers when they come out.

Playing SNES games on the Switch is the cat’s goddamn pyjamas.

Edit: and now I just made myself sad because I realized that there’s no way any of the SNES Square games will be released for this thing.

Double plus edit: I remembered that Final Fantasy III is on the SNES Classic! There’s still hope! I’m happy again!

Descendant X on
      Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      Zilla360 wrote: »
      TMS#FE is a game I only played an hour or so of before selling it...
      Pretty much my experience as well. Found a really cheap second hand copy and... I liked that first hour, and I'm sure there's more of a gem of a game there, but I think I just got distracted* by other games I wanted to spend more time on.
      The presentation (the menus etc) is all top notch and leaves a great first impression.

*That and I preferred using the WiiU pro controller, and TMS#FE needed you to have the Gamepad powered on/connected at the same time, even when you weren't using it. #FirstWorld-'Problems'...

The pad usage was really good! The smartphone chat where you talked to all your friends, and the map and all your stats...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • ZekZek Registered User regular
      So basically they are just obscuring the real cost of the game. Like the $10 XP booster for Asscreed Odyssey.

I mean its not a horrible endless slot machine, but its not exactly prosumer either.

It seems like the most consumer friendly way you can do a F2P game - putting a concrete price tag on a permanent boost and then and you don't need to spend money anymore. Usually the conventional wisdom is that you never do that because whales are needed to make up for the freeloaders. But I think if you make the purchases compelling you'll get a lot more people buying in at modest price points.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
      The funny thing is that I played the 3DS version never spending a dime, and it really got grindy near the end. Not to mention checking in every 12 hours to collect your apples. Because when you need 100 to unlock the next fight, 10 every 12 hours is a lot of time and you don't want to be wasting even more time.

Here though, I'm actually willing to spend 67 gold coins to buy the cheapest bundle that will also double the output of the tree. And I'm actually considering spending another 150 coins to boost it again.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

This would be comparable if Odyssey was free to begin with.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

This would be comparable if Odyssey was free to begin with.

Also if the XP boost was in any way necessary.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
      Capt Howdy wrote: »
      Capt Howdy wrote: »
      Super Double Dragon seems like a good possibility.

but...it's Super Double Dragon.

Awww come on. It wasn't as good as DD2, but it was good enough. And now I want Best of the Best as well.

SDD was where I fell out of love with DD. Probably it didn't help that Final Fight was a launch title and it looked and played (for that time) a lot better than SDD. Also DD2 is so so good.

To be fair, Final Fight was arcade gold. I put that in my top 10 or 20 arcade games of all time. SDD was fun, but it was (going by old man memory) an early SNES release.

Steam: kaylesolo1
      3DS: 1521-4165-5907
      PS3: KayleSolo
      Live: Kayle Solo
      WiiU: KayleSolo
    • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
      Downloaded and booted up Pilotwings. So cool! This and the NES Hanes make the cost of NSO worth it for me. You can apparently remove the controls overlay that’s on the bottom now too. It’s in the settings menu.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
      3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
      Anyone pick up River City Girls today? I got it for PS4 but won’t be able to play until I get home from work. I’ve been looking forward to it ever since playing the demo at Anime Expo.

Any impressions?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      Anyone pick up River City Girls today? I got it for PS4 but won’t be able to play until I get home from work. I’ve been looking forward to it ever since playing the demo at Anime Expo.

Any impressions?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ-Ow3wiTPQ

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
      Is that your video, @Brainiac 8 ?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
      edited September 2019
      I doubt that Brainiac is in fact THE happy console gamer. Even if he games on consoles happily.

Also where is my SP version of Breath of Fire with the reduced grind from the GBA version.

rahkeesh2000 on
    • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      edited September 2019
      Celeste's free DLC is coming September 9th

https://exok.com/posts/2019-09-05-hello-and-farewell/
      • Chapter 9: Farewell is a new story chapter for Celeste, releasing 9/9/2019 for free on all platforms.
      • It contains 100+ new levels, bringing the game's total to over 800!
      • Over 40 minutes of new music from Lena Raine. (Purchase the soundtrack on Bandcamp!)
      • There's several brand new mechanics and items to discover and play with.
      • Reconnect with beloved characters for a final goodbye.
      • This chapter doesn't have a B- or C-Side.
      • To unlock it, simply complete Chapter 8.

skeldare on
      Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
      I doubt that Brainiac is in fact THE happy console gamer. Even if he games on consoles happily.

Oh, I didn’t know. I’m at work so I can’t watch the video right now. I can get away with a lot of things but I don’t think watching videos is one of the them. :D

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
      skeldare wrote: »

• Chapter 9: Farewell is a new story chapter for Celeste, releasing 9/9/2019 for free on all platforms.
      • Over 40 minutes of new music from Lena Raine. (Purchase the soundtrack on Bandcamp!)

I honestly think that, in time, I may look back on the Switch even more fondly than I do the SNES. I know Celeste isn't Switch-exclusive or anything, but there is just such an avalanche of great content all converging on this one console (including the SNES games, now!) that it's easily become my favorite console I've ever owned.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular

WACriminal wrote: »
      skeldare wrote: »

I honestly think that, in time, I may look back on the Switch even more fondly than I do the SNES. I know Celeste isn't Switch-exclusive or anything, but there is just such an avalanche of great content all converging on this one console (including the SNES games, now!) that it's easily become my favorite console I've ever owned.

agreed. Celeste is probably my favorite game of the last decade.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
      3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Finally filled my switch stock storage trying to download demos and the latest f2p Kirby. :D

Archived Starlink for now, but may need a microSD card soon.

Enjoyed some Pilotwings and Zelda tonight. SNES games were good stuff.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
      Stunt Race FX has not aged well. Holy pop-in, Batman

Nightslyr wrote: »

Hasn’t aged well? Yeah because it was never good.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
      Nightslyr wrote: »

Hasn’t aged well? Yeah because it was never good.

Eh, I liked it as a kid, but I had a lot more tolerance for mediocre or worse games back then (likely because that was largely before I could buy my own, and was stuck with what I got).

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

No it isn't. It is the happy console gamer and I tend to trust his thinking on games. He's just a really fun to watch passionate guy and you can tell when he really loves something even when he nitpicks it some.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      I tuned in to a couple of Tetris 99 streams this morning and managed to catch Wumbotize right when they came on Twitch, apparently unaware of the Direct or the update.

Watching someone who routinely gets 30-40 KOs a round get pushed to the absolute limit by Invictus mode is a real holy shit moment.

People who play a lot of Tetris do NOT fuck around.

https://youtu.be/_pMhRsg87qw

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
      I know it'll never happen because I imagine the copyright/trademark issues around it are absolutely insane; but I'd give a lot of things for Rock 'n Roll Racing to come to the not-virtual-console. Hell, I'd just buy a standalone release in the eshop.

Loved that game when I was younger.

Then again, it's been so long since I played it, and my memory is undoubtedly rosier than it actually was, so maybe it'd just be disappointment.

But I miss it all the same.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
      Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
      Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited September 2019

No it isn't. It is the happy console gamer and I tend to trust his thinking on games. He's just a really fun to watch passionate guy and you can tell when he really loves something even when he nitpicks it some.

Yeah I’ve enjoyed his take on things. Wish I was more like that and less like a cynical unhappy bastard. Maybe that should be my YouTube channel. :D

RidleySaria on

Yeah I’ve enjoyed his take on things. Wish I was more like that and less like a cynical unhappy bastard. Maybe that should be my YouTube channel. :D

"He's he most cynical unhappy gamer you've ever heard. He's the Cynical Unhappy Bastard Nerd!"

Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Yep, most original idea ever. No one has been cynical, unhappy or a bastard on the internet.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
      akjak wrote: »

If it helps, it is not a microtransaction gatcha slot machine game. Nintendo's "free to start" games are really interesting things. There are microtransactions in the form of gems (gem apples in this case), and there is a stupid stamina "pony up or stop playing" system. But there's also a limit on how much you can spend before the game refuses to take any more of your money, which tends to coincidently be the price of a full game. And at which point all the bullshit gets removed from the game (in this case you'll be getting so many free apples from the tree each day there's no reason to ever buy more).

I don't really have a problem with this kind of MTX system. They really do want you to spend something, and will make the game as grindy as all fuck if you don't. But they're not actually preying on you. The fact that they'll flat out tell you "We don't want your money anymore" is what really makes me kind of respect this system.

...and where is the information telling you what that upper limit is? Because I think you can buy up to $60 in gems in a single pack.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
      Twitch: akThera
      Steam: Thera
    • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

"He's he most cynical unhappy gamer you've ever heard. He's the Cynical Unhappy Bastard Nerd!"

The funny irony of course being the actor behind the persona known for being the most cynical unhappy bastard in gaming is in reality the least cynical unhappy bastard in gaming.