As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Hey, remember that mech game Daemon X Machina? It's got a crossover with The Witcher now, because...

Uhm...

Well, it's got Witcher skins now. I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCkC3iFqrUg

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Starfox 2 is pretty cool. Just gave away the SNES mini's one exclusive.

My wife saidthat when she was putting together a gift guide, she was only finding SNES Classics second-hand, so Nintendo probably doesn't care about that particular enticement anymore.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Hey, remember that mech game Daemon X Machina? It's got a crossover with The Witcher now, because...

Uhm...

Geralt trying to be the new town bicycle, I guess.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So Luigi's Mansion. I know we've kind of forgotten about it but now that I'm done with Pokémon I am now working on finishing this.

You know when you get towards the end of a game and you just want it to end, even though you've enjoyed your time with it? That's how I feel right now. It just doesn't want to end.

It's like that one friend who's pretty cool to hang out with from time to time and they come over to watch a movie. But after the movie he suggests another and after that he kinda chills around the house even though it's fucking 1am and the kids will be up in a few hours and you know that you ran out of milk the previous night so you're going to have to explain why they can't have their favorite cereal and it's going to end up with kids crying and screaming at you.

Exactly like that.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Uhm...

Shit, guess it's time to fire up my copy.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Starfox 2 is pretty cool. Just gave away the SNES mini's one exclusive.

My wife saidthat when she was putting together a gift guide, she was only finding SNES Classics second-hand, so Nintendo probably doesn't care about that particular enticement anymore.

Yeah, it was around last December when Nintendo said they were going to stop producing SNES Classics for the US market. Once they were out, that was it. Last I checked you can still get refurbished ones directly from Nintendo, though.

Speaking of Breath of Fire, I've never really played the series, but the second game in that series is notorious for its bad translation.

Examples:
    rrtbchmcspiy.png
    0n7wbsxo6zdn.png
    0gstue85qctl.png

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    BoF2 has one of the worst RPG encounter rates/xp gains as well, at least the GBA version fixed that

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    So Luigi's Mansion. I know we've kind of forgotten about it but now that I'm done with Pokémon I am now working on finishing this.

You know when you get towards the end of a game and you just want it to end, even though you've enjoyed your time with it? That's how I feel right now. It just doesn't want to end.

It's like that one friend who's pretty cool to hang out with from time to time and they come over to watch a movie. But after the movie he suggests another and after that he kinda chills around the house even though it's fucking 1am and the kids will be up in a few hours and you know that you ran out of milk the previous night so you're going to have to explain why they can't have their favorite cereal and it's going to end up with kids crying and screaming at you.

Exactly like that.

Sort of weary about all this as I'm playing the game and very much enjoying it but I'm only on floor six.
    The Castle themed area

I like the cleverness of how the game has you using all of Luigi's various abilities to find secrets though and the chaos you can cause in a single room is pretty satisfying.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    That’s a good selection. But there’s no NES Rygar. That’s the one I’ve wanted ever since Wii virtual console.

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    That’s a good selection. But there’s no NES Rygar. That’s the one I’ve wanted ever since Wii virtual console.

It was the first game I owned on the NES. Loved it. I replayed it recently and it's still good, although that final boss fight is kind of bullshit. Fortunately you can level up enough to make it trivial...if you were playing the US version. Apparently the PAL version had some memory issue that capped the max level at something a bit lower, making the final boss really difficult in that version. I actually tried to do it at that level and gave up.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Really excited to see BoF series again, even like this.

It's a shame they stopped at 5.

I hope 3 and 4 eventually make their way onto the Switch and one day they maybe revive the franchise with Tatsuya Yoshikawa's art direction again.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Uhm...

Shit, guess it's time to fire up my copy.

This is not helping me not want to play through the (S)Witcher again. I've been debating on getting it for the Switch, I have it on PS4 and PC. I've only beat the main game on PS4 though.

Also, DXM looks pretty rad. I may have to pick that up at some point.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    As a globetrotting sidescrolling action game Rygar is inferior to Clash at Demonhead.

8nHjaQA.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Rehab wrote: »

Exactly like that.

Sort of weary about all this as I'm playing the game and very much enjoying it but I'm only on floor six.
    The Castle themed area

I like the cleverness of how the game has you using all of Luigi's various abilities to find secrets though and the chaos you can cause in a single room is pretty satisfying.

Yeah it's not that I think the game is bad. It's just that it kinda drags along because you don't get any new upgrades or whatever so every room you enter you can solve then and there (minus a few that I won't spoil or mention) so it feels like every floor is nearly the same even if it looks cool.

Destroying everything still feels satisfying though. I just kind of want it to end because it feels like it's overstaying it's welcome. Though I am sure I am on the final boss. I got the "Are you sure you want to enter this door" prompt.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    They should do an HD remake of the entire BoF line with fresh translations, re-orchestrated music and the works.

I mean Capcom did just get a lot of good press and money off of remaking RE2. I wouldn't be surprised if BoF HD was coming down the line.

This is from a press call from 2018.
    During an investor's call, a Capcom representative stated that the company anticipates that Resident Evil 2 Remake will break the million sales mark. They believe that it will be one of their biggest releases of the current fiscal year as well as the game that will open the door for future remakes of classic Capcom games.

"Further, regarding remakes and re-releases of titles in our back catalog, we expect to explore these further with a variety of properties as a part of our strategy to utilize our library of IP," reads a transcript from the call. Nobody from Capcom elaborated on which titles the company may consider remaking or remastering.

Just to note, in September 2019 it was reported RE2 sold at least 4.7 million. So yeah, I'd say we'll be seeing more Capcom re-releases very soon.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

It was the first game I owned on the NES. Loved it. I replayed it recently and it's still good, although that final boss fight is kind of bullshit. Fortunately you can level up enough to make it trivial...if you were playing the US version. Apparently the PAL version had some memory issue that capped the max level at something a bit lower, making the final boss really difficult in that version. I actually tried to do it at that level and gave up.

I didn't own it but I rented it all the time. I was super young so a lot of it was inscrutable for me but my god that music still slaps to this day.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    They should do an HD remake of the entire BoF line with fresh translations, re-orchestrated music and the works.

I mean Capcom did just get a lot of good press and money off of remaking RE2. I wouldn't be surprised if BoF HD was coming down the line.

I would. RE:2 had a ton more impact in its day, not to mention sales. Resident evil also wasn't a dead series before the remake released.

Plus the scope of an RPG like BoF is much larger and a real pain to replicate all that in modern gameplay and graphics. It really helps that resident evil is typically set in such tiny locations.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    BoF 3 and 4 were the real gems of the series.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I would. RE:2 had a ton more impact in its day, not to mention sales. Resident evil also wasn't a dead series before the remake released.

Plus the scope of an RPG like BoF is much larger and a real pain to replicate all that in modern gameplay and graphics. It really helps that resident evil is typically set in such tiny locations.

It's not like BoF is impossible, but there's loads of other revival candidates that come to mind before that series.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I could be wrong but I feel like RPGs are relatively much greater effort to remaster than games like RE2. Not that RE2 is easy but when you think about how RPGs rely on dozens of items and hundreds of monsters, that now need to be more than just a little pixel sprite but full 3D, and probably animated, and if they remaster it to an action game like everybody is doing because people hate turn-based then you have to design a combat engine and deal with physics and all of that.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    If they did do it, it would probably be more in line with the Trials of Mana remake. It simply would not get the kind of budget, acclaim, and sales as RE:2. But it could happen on a much smaller budget.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    To be clear, I don't want a BoF Remake. I agree that remaking an RPG takes tons and tons more work than an action-horror title. Just look at FF7. Was announced before RE2, is still in development, and is being broken into multiple titles.

A BoF Remaster however, even an HD collection where they re-translate the text, resize textures and put in widescreen support for modern consoles and Steam, is much much less work. BoF3 and BoF4 art in particular still looks amazing, just resize the textures and write a wrapper for higher resolutions.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    To be clear, I don't want a BoF Remake. I agree that remaking an RPG takes tons and tons more work than an action-horror title. Just look at FF7. Was announced before RE2, is still in development, and is being broken into multiple titles.

In that particular case it's less because the game would be tough to remake and more because they're treating it with crazy reverence and lavish attention and budget that I'm not sure really fits anymore...I guess we'll see but the people whose minds were blown by it were 10 at the time and will be 40 when it comes out, and it'll be a completely different game.

It will probably sell reasonably well...but I can also see it ending up as a Spirits Within-level miscalculation too. Probably not. I don't know.

They could've done it like Dragon Quest 7 went from early 3D/sprites to DQ8-level 3D on 3DS and had it finished and thoroughly enjoyable in a couple years. Instead they're kind of going nuts.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    A BoF Remaster however, even an HD collection where they re-translate the text, resize textures and put in widescreen support for modern consoles and Steam, is much much less work..

The problem here is that... they just let Nintendo release it on NSO. Its a sign they don't think highly of those game's performance right now because otherwise, they'd have made their own collection and released on all platforms like many other companies are doing.

Maybe a 3/4 remaster is possible to ride off the fact that 1/2 are the only SNES RPGs on NSO, but they are starting from a position of perceived weakness of the brand rather than strength.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options

A BoF Remaster however, even an HD collection where they re-translate the text, resize textures and put in widescreen support for modern consoles and Steam, is much much less work. BoF3 and BoF4 art in particular still looks amazing, just resize the textures and write a wrapper for higher resolutions.

I would like a HD2D recreation where they redo all the assets with high quality hand drawn 2.5d art. Like a HD Legend of Mana or Legend of Legacy.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ya know what would be cool?

BoF getting revived as a series on Switch.

I just want a new BoF...

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.play-asia.com/atelier-dusk-trilogy-deluxe-pack-english-subs/13/70d5hx

The Atelier Dusk trilogy is getting a DX release next, Play-Asia now has an Asia-english physical edition up for pre-order for $89.99 (free economy shipping). No indication that the west will be getting any physical release with this trilogy either(not surprising given the price point), this is apparently a special partnership print between Play-Asia and Koei Tecmo. All three games will be on one cartridge, and will include a mini-case keychain.

The product page doesn't say it but the newsletter states this will be limited to 5,000 copies with no order maximum because... good decisions. If you're interested, you may not have a lot of time.

• Options

I just want a new BoF...

I was going to link you to the BoF 6 wiki with a suggestion to install android on your switch but I realized that they already shut down the servers for the game.

• Options

I just want a new BoF...

I was going to link you to the BoF 6 wiki with a suggestion to install android on your switch but I realized that they already shut down the servers for the game.
    The game was released in Japan on February 24, 2016 for Microsoft Windows computers and Android devices, with an iOS release following on July 12, 2016.[3][4]
    As of June 2017, the game holds a 1.7 out of 5 rating on Japan's Google Play Store.
    On September 27, 2017 all Breath of Fire 6 services officially came to a close.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I just want a new BoF...

You monster!

• Options

I just want a new BoF...

The game was released in Japan on February 24, 2016 for Microsoft Windows computers and Android devices, with an iOS release following on July 12, 2016.[3][4]
    As of June 2017, the game holds a 1.7 out of 5 rating on Japan's Google Play Store.
    On September 27, 2017 all Breath of Fire 6 services officially came to a close.

Well obviously this means there's no demand for Breath of Fire games.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    That doesn't seem like a very high rating!

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Well obviously this means there's no demand for Breath of Fire games.

* Laughs in EA *

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Man, I'd totally play BoF 3 and 4 on switch.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    If anyone has Killer Queen Black and can hop on with me real quick to make sure this mic i have works it would be most appreciated. Just reply or send me a PM. Codes in my sig.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Every time somebody mentions that game I picture Freddie Mercury's head on top of an ice cream truck.

• Options
    Article on how Saber Interactive got the Witcher 3 on Switch.
    On PC, turning down shadows is an easy way to get some extra frames per second. For the Switch version, however, Saber had to rethink the implementation from scratch.

“One of the things we knew we had to change for Switch was how the engine calculates shadows from the sun,” said Karch. “Shadows are obviously essential for creating a realistic look for huge outdoor levels, but the off-the-shelf solution was prohibitively expensive on Switch. We had to combine a blend of static shadowmap, terrain lightmap, and dynamic shadowmap to achieve a similar look to the original.”

This is interesting to me, the level of work it must require in some cases...I think sometimes people get the impression it's just "take the PC version and crank the settings down to low," but no, they had to rewrite some fundamental parts of the engine, or do things like pre-calculate shadows in some areas and apply them like a texture.

• Options
    https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/Nintendo-Switch-Joy-Con-Joystick/IF378-015?o=3

ifixit now has Joy-Con drift repair kits, consisting of a replacement left or right Joy-Con joystick unit and the tools to replace for $20, or the joystick only for $15.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Just Shapes and Beats fans, time to fire up the game again tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/HLU12ZdC7AU

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Switch getting a nice collectors edition for Trails of Cold Steel III

Excellent. I held off on buying it on PS4 this year, so I'll just wait for the Switch release. Been a while since I played the first two games though, I think I've forgotten most of the finer story details by now.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699