As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Not a horrible Indie showing. Most of the games didn't really do it for me.

However, Sports Story looks pretty fun.

Skatebird is a game I must own! There needs to be a character names Tony Hawk now! :D

I feel like there will be a hawk named Tony, but nobody will ever address him as Tony Hawk.

This showcase had a lot of good stuff IMO but the obvious standout was Skate Bird.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Sports Story is a must get for me.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    So Dauntless seems to be running at about 15 frames per second in the hub area. Haven't tried loading up an actual Hunt yet, but this is not a good first impression.

How many people running around? It's cross platform so it's likely the Switch can't really deal with all the players. Once you go on a hunt it should be just you and the monster (it's instance based).

2 people?

I took video:
    https://youtu.be/Nh6TjU3CyW4

Luckily, I just went into an actual Hunt with 4 other people and it worked fine. They definitely need to fix that hub.

Hey heads up I saw a comment at reddit that said disabling the chat box in the lobby can actually improve the FPS there.

And others chimed in to say the chat is pretty useless so no great loss.

Also completely unrelated I saw this unsubstantiated and massive grain of salt rumor:

https://nintendosmash.com/halo-might-be-coming-to-nintendo-switch/

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    So Dauntless seems to be running at about 15 frames per second in the hub area. Haven't tried loading up an actual Hunt yet, but this is not a good first impression.

How many people running around? It's cross platform so it's likely the Switch can't really deal with all the players. Once you go on a hunt it should be just you and the monster (it's instance based).

2 people?

I took video:
    https://youtu.be/Nh6TjU3CyW4

Luckily, I just went into an actual Hunt with 4 other people and it worked fine. They definitely need to fix that hub.

Hey heads up I saw a comment at reddit that said disabling the chat box in the lobby can actually improve the FPS there.

And others chimed in to say the chat is pretty useless so no great loss.

Also completely unrelated I saw this unsubstantiated and massive grain of salt rumor:

https://nintendosmash.com/halo-might-be-coming-to-nintendo-switch/

If true, that pretty much means that fighter 5 of the Smash fighter pack HAS to be Master Chief, right? Like, they wouldn't pass up that opportunity, and it would be a truly hype inducing 5th DLC fighter.

• Options
    Also it was recently discussed on a stream that Doom I and II are getting massive free updates.
    • 60 FPS
    • Aspect ratio fixed
    • Final DOOM (the 1996 standalone game)
    • No Rest For The Living (new WAD created by Nerve Software for the release of Doom II on XBLA)
    • Sigil (new WAD created just this year by John Romero as an unofficial official 5th episode)
    • Community WADs will also be added through an internal storefront (all free downloads though)

Also, Doom 64 will have lots of options including environmental brightness, AA, filtering options, FOV, and even blood color, though these were only announced for PC so far, it doesn't seem unlikely that other platforms would also have these options.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I literally cannot wait for Doom 64.

• Options
    I literally cannot wait for Doom 64.

Well you kinda can

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Is it just me and my dirty mind or did they actually encourage people to use HD rumble to masturbate during the Boyfriend Dungeon segment?

I can't tell if you're agreeing that I have a dirty mind or that they we're indeed encouraging people to masturbate.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Is it just me and my dirty mind or did they actually encourage people to use HD rumble to masturbate during the Boyfriend Dungeon segment?

I can't tell if you're agreeing that I have a dirty mind or that they we're indeed encouraging people to masturbate.

Yes.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

If you must ask...then you already know the answer.
    Yes

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    A prison cell made from Nintendium for all of you!

*gets on the phone*

*all I hear is HD rumble buzzing*

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    A prison cell made from Nintendium for all of you!

*gets on the phone*

*all I hear is HD rumble buzzing*

:winky:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh man, finally got a shipping notification for the new Shovel Knight amiibo three-pack.

Order placed: January 20, 2018 <_<

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh man, finally got a shipping notification for the new Shovel Knight amiibo three-pack.

Slash000, is that you?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    I realize VGChartz has long been considered inaccurate and unusable, though I have heard that they've made efforts to shape up and use official numbers wherever possible, and there aren't many public-facing game sales resources out there.

Based on one of their recent articles, I went searching for other news articles that might back it up from official sources and press releases and such. Sometimes you can find them once a year, once a quarter, or once a milestone when the company wants to crow a bit. And based on what I found, I believe the numbers are not completely outside the realm of possibility...if they're off, it might be by 3 months in one direction or the other.

All this is to say: it sounds like the Switch has now surpassed Xbox One for global lifetime sales, around the 45 million mark, in spite of being released 3 and a half years later.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Got mine too! Amazon did fantastic bending the packaging though, too. Might as well stick it in an envelope.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
      edited December 2019
      Axiom Verge was great when it first came out and filled a void left by the severe lack of that Metroidvania progression formula I love so much. But since then there have been soooo many more high quality games in that genre. More Axiom Verge is going to cut it unless it’s something MUCH more.

Also, Hells to the yeah for Sports Story.

Dodge Aspen on
      Xbox - Dodge Mega
      Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
      DrezDrez Registered User regular
      I think Axiom Verge is great, I just wish item placement didn't feel so random and haphazard.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    • Options
      If it's a game you don't really need but you've got a little extra money and you decide to treat yourself that would be considered an Axiom Splurge.

• Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
      As a new owner of a Switch, I'm hoping the announcement of Sports Story means that Golf Story will go on sale again.

• Options
      SteevL wrote: »
      As a new owner of a Switch, I'm hoping the announcement of Sports Story means that Golf Story will go on sale again.

If the graph stays accurate we will probably be looking at a sale in Jan-March.

• Options
      shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
      skeldare wrote: »

Why is it on mobile but not PC? It makes me upset...

• Options
      PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      skeldare wrote: »

Dammit, delayed. Gimme my rackets already.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • Options
      DrezDrez Registered User regular
      I'm surprised we haven't gotten anymore Tales ports, and nothing on Dark Souls 2 or 3.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    • Options
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
      Drez wrote: »
      I'm surprised we haven't gotten anymore Tales ports, and nothing on Dark Souls 2 or 3.

I know! Tales of Hearts R is still trapped as a Vita exclusive and a Switch port of it would be perfect

FC: 1907-8030-1478
    • Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Drez wrote: »

https://www.nintendo-insider.com/new-tales-of-game-in-development/

There were rumors of a new Tales game being developed, but it turned out to be Tales of Arise and so far it's not coming to Switch. Would love any of the previous generation Tales games to come.

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
      Drascin wrote: »
      Honestly, I was pretty eh on Axiom Verge. It was alright, a fun enough afternoon, but I got it for 5 bucks on Steam and I felt that was about what it was worth. I certainly felt no desire to go back and find all secrets or whatever.

I'm very interested to see how they iterate on the game design lessons learned from the first game

BahamutZERO.gif
    • Options
      edited December 2019
      Some more fun time:

But it's not all lolipops and badassery, more often than not its just this that happens:

That's the beauty of a time rewind mechanic.

Also, just finished the game, that story was so much better than it had any right to be. That was full on major motion picture quality writing there.

End of Katana Zero spoilers:
      The revelation that you we're the killer and not the child in the village was a bit telegraphed but was still a jaw-dropping moment. Being able to see how that played out for real was nice after all the distorted dreams. Also what the hell happened to the little girl? I know the two masks have her but why did the apt super say that there were no children living in the building or the entire district? I'm still not sure if she (and the masks) are actually real or if they are all figments of Zero's imagination, the masks as a side effect of Chronos and the little girl as his way of coping with what he did in the war. I will say I almost started crying when he threw away the medal that he said reminded him that he's done good things because he had another reminder now, being the little girl. Absolutely cannot wait for the sequel, what a cliffhanger! Those fuckers better not touch the girl!

When you beat the game a few modes unlock. Hard mode, Speedrun mode, and Government Lab. Speedrun mode is pretty remarkable as I've never seen an entire mode dedicated to the speedrunning community like this. You can change a bunch of settings that you can't in the normal game, such as disabling cutscenes/rewind/parts without action, stabilize the seed so the enemies behavior is consistent across levels, show death count and timer etc.. basically just a lot of QoL stuff for speedrunners. Government facility is basically a hub that is a single room with a couple doors. Each door has a symbol over it that corresponds to a key hidden in the game. Upon unlocking a door you receive.... well.. I'll just let you find that out for yourself. Interestingly enough there is a 6th door without a symbol that cannot be unlocked yet. It tells you to come back in a few months when you try to open it. DLC perhaps?

It's weird that there's so many great games out this year, because any other year this would be my GOTY hands down. It's actually one of my favorites period now that I've played through it entirely. Time for hard mode!

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      I realize VGChartz has long been considered inaccurate and unusable, though I have heard that they've made efforts to shape up and use official numbers wherever possible, and there aren't many public-facing game sales resources out there.

Based on one of their recent articles, I went searching for other news articles that might back it up from official sources and press releases and such. Sometimes you can find them once a year, once a quarter, or once a milestone when the company wants to crow a bit. And based on what I found, I believe the numbers are not completely outside the realm of possibility...if they're off, it might be by 3 months in one direction or the other.

All this is to say: it sounds like the Switch has now surpassed Xbox One for global lifetime sales, around the 45 million mark, in spite of being released 3 and a half years later.

The problem is that Microsoft has locked down all mention of Xbox One performance tight -- they barely even mention engagement anymore. As a result, the performance of the console has become a massive mystery. No one can figure it out.

But yeah, the bullshit of VGChartz aside, I wouldn't be shocked if Switch has outsold One, especially considering the Japan gap.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Options
      edited December 2019
      cloudeagle wrote: »

The problem is that Microsoft has locked down all mention of Xbox One performance tight -- they barely even mention engagement anymore. As a result, the performance of the console has become a massive mystery. No one can figure it out.

But yeah, the bullshit of VGChartz aside, I wouldn't be shocked if Switch has outsold One, especially considering the Japan gap.

As a side note...I think at some point, maybe when the only site purporting to offer numbers regularly is inaccurate, but it's a resource people use because it's the ONLY one, you would think it's in platform holders' best interests to correct those numbers.

Like let's say they were off significantly. Said Xbox was at only 20 million or something. You'd think MS would email them and say "wtf is this grudge you have against us" and try to correct the record.

Because eventually it would affect shareholder/prospective shareholder opinion.

UncleSporky on
    • Options
      LD50LD50 Registered User regular

As a side note...I think at some point, maybe when the only site purporting to offer numbers regularly is inaccurate, but it's a resource people use because it's the ONLY one, you would think it's in platform holders' best interests to correct those numbers.

Like let's say they were off significantly. Said Xbox was at only 20 million or something. You'd think MS would email them and say "wtf is this grudge you have against us" and try to correct the record.

Alternatively you can hide all that information from everyone and point out the inaccuracy of any sites reporting on your sales figures and discredit them. That way you have complete control over the non-messaging of your sales figures and don't have to worry about a bad quarter affecting your stock prices.

• Options
      weird to think that the original xbox was actually the best performing one, being a very distant second place to the PS2, while the 360 and the one got third place.

camo_sig2.png
    • Options
      cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I suspect either Microsoft is either embarrassed at the actual sales figure, or it's actually even worse than VGChartz posted.

I did hear that Microsoft managed to tighten Xbox financial information even more this year, though of course my Google-fu is failing me at the moment.

At any rate, it seems like the big companies mostly ignore VGChartz, even though it still gets cited by loads of people/publications that should know better. I almost respect them for making such an enduring website based on crap they pull out of their asses, but it just goes to show how silly it is for corporations to hide sales figures.

To get back on-topic, props to Nintendo for regularly providing hardware and software sales updates.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Options
      WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
      weird to think that the original xbox was actually the best performing one, being a very distant second place to the PS2, while the 360 and the one got third place.

Really? I always got the impression that the 360 did pretty well for itself after the PS3 shot itself in the foot early on and only recovered later.

But then, I've never really paid that much attention to sales numbers. The closest I ever get is "Did this game I like do well?"

• Options
      The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Really? I always got the impression that the 360 did pretty well for itself after the PS3 shot itself in the foot early on and only recovered later.

But then, I've never really paid that much attention to sales numbers. The closest I ever get is "Did this game I like do well?"

I feel like in hindsight that while the 360 did do good and was the "default" console of the era, it says more about the Playstation brand that, despite shooting itself in the foot, despite being the console that was far harder to program for, the sucker still managed to catch up in the end. Like props to MS for "winning the race", but clearly Sony was running faster overall.

It also doesn't help that out of the 3 major players, MS is the only one that is completely persona non grata in a major market. Japan don't give a shit about MS, and MS don't give a shit about Japan in return.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    • Options

PS3 pulled ahead late in the gen. It got consistently better exclusives after the PSN hack debacle, I guess. And the Wii just crushed everyone and everything

camo_sig2.png
    • Options
      SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
      edited December 2019

The 360 only outsold the PS3 in America. The PS3 outsold the 360 in the rest of the world, and combined for more than the 360 overall.

SyphonBlue on
      LxX6eco.jpg
      PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    • Options
      PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
      MS has clearly switched focus to software and i think that's a good thing for us. The PC can be "their" platform and they can put their software on all the other consoles. The Switch is my backup to PC and i haven't used my ps4 in a while now.