As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    It goes Gargoyle's Quest for GB, Gargoyle's Quest 2 for the NES and then Demon's Crest for SNES.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I realized I wasn't sure what Tokyo Mirage Sessions actually was, so I looked up a trailer.

I still am not sure what Tokyo Mirage Sessions actually is, and am concerned I may be incapable of understanding.

J-pop JRPG where all of the fights are also concerts. Has the FE weapon triangle and combo attacks and big big flashy moves.

Just wanted to add to this. The combo system is my favorite part of TMS, it's basically creating ridiculous attack chains that kill all the monsters before you've had a chance to respond. If you've ever wondered "what if every basic attack was like knights of the round from FF7," this is the game for you. Also the attacks look ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h2-xa0jj8Y

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited September 2019
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh God I'm getting confused. Was Outcast the first one or second one? It says Jedi Knight 2 so I assumed it was the sequel to the first one.

If that's the case then it makes sense why Academy is coming later. The first one had an amazing single player game and the multiplayer was good... But the second one's multiplayer was life changing.

It actually goes:

Dark Forces > Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight > Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast > Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

edit: super late. But I'm pretty sure you did dual saber in Academy (without mods). Both had MP tho.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yea, Outcast was single saber only. Academy added dual and staff.
    Outcast is still my favorite...I'm a die-hard single saber man for life. The ONLY bad thing about Outcast, imo, is that when you FINALLY get your lightsaber, the next level is full of snipers with attacks you can't saber block =p.

vamen on
    wait...you can't saber block the snipers? shit..that...makes a lot of sense. The level after is one of my favorites tho!

You can't but every so often Kyle would do a force dodge, which was super cool but also very random and unreliable. It was basically a Matrix dodge.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh God I'm getting confused. Was Outcast the first one or second one? It says Jedi Knight 2 so I assumed it was the sequel to the first one.

If that's the case then it makes sense why Academy is coming later. The first one had an amazing single player game and the multiplayer was good... But the second one's multiplayer was life changing.

It actually goes:

Dark Forces > Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight > Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast > Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

edit: super late. But I'm pretty sure you did dual saber in Academy (without mods). Both had MP tho.

Dark Forces > Gargoyle's Quest > Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight > Gargoyle's Quest 2 > Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast > Demon's Crest > Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    TMS was an awesome game for anyone into that kinda thing who hasn't played it.

It seems like most of the Direct as re-releases and stuff like that?

Didn't notice much info for new stuff out there. That's a little sad. I don't replay stuff so the only thing that was new/interesting for me was Pokemon.

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I realized I wasn't sure what Tokyo Mirage Sessions actually was, so I looked up a trailer.

I still am not sure what Tokyo Mirage Sessions actually is, and am concerned I may be incapable of understanding.

J-pop JRPG where all of the fights are also concerts. Has the FE weapon triangle and combo attacks and big big flashy moves.

Just wanted to add to this. The combo system is my favorite part of TMS, it's basically creating ridiculous attack chains that kill all the monsters before you've had a chance to respond. If you've ever wondered "what if every basic attack was like knights of the round from FF7," this is the game for you. Also the attacks look ridiculous.

TMS is one of the few RPGs where the combat never felt like just a filler activity between story bits. Functionally it still is, but the combat is fun, rather something where I mentally check out while it's going on. I am only about 1/3 of the way through the WiiU game but I'm going to abandon it for the Switch version and I am not at all put out by the loss of story progress because I know it will be fun to get there. Not only that but I'll be able to play it handheld in my giant bean bag chair.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I literally just played through outcast again on PC about a month ago with all the HD mods.

It's definitely a relic of the 90's era of FPS game design. Lot's of mazes and labrynthesque levels, lot's of false dead ends that will drive you crazy without a guide. I have a feeling this might frustrate the younger generation of gamers.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    The anime Fairy Tail is getting a Switch game in 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4ZSp2bmkso

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Huh, Little Town Hero is only going to be $25. Guess I'll jump on that when it comes out.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The only thing Jedi Outcast needs to be good in todays landscape is a better autosave/checkpoint system.

Handsome Costanza - for real. Even that second level and trying to unlock the exit could break a man.

Javen - it had quicksave so I don't even recall the checkpoint system heh.
    Though I DID quicksave myself a split second before I got chopped in half by a lightsaber a few times, so that was a bummer.

Javen wrote: »
    The only thing Jedi Outcast needs to be good in todays landscape is a better autosave/checkpoint system.

tbf, I never quite got how the saber system worked. I flailed around a lot and it looked cool tho. I wonder what a "modern" control scheme means tho.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I do wonder who at LucasArts thought it was a good idea to continually adopt the subtitle of the Dark Forces series as it's new title. For all we know, the working title of Force Unleashed was Star Wars: Dark Forces: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy: Force Unleashed!

I do miss Kyle Katarn. But down the memory hole he goes along with the rest of the Star Wars EU. That magical place where all our heroes still got to go on adventures together, and didn't turn into washed up nobodies, separated and killed before they ever got to reunite.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If anyone's looking for a way to get to the SNES library for (possibly) cheap:

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Just in time for everyone to stream their playthroughs and reactions to Deadly Premonition!

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Just in time for everyone to stream their playthroughs and reactions to Deadly Premonition!

This offer has been around since March.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Still worth pointing out that its about to expire.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Plus September is when the service rolled out, so everyone who signed up day-1 will be up for renewal

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Looks like the original Puzzle Quest is hitting Switch soon, too.

steam_sig.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah my susbscription coincidentally expires on the 19th, on the eve of the Lite release.

Also I'm not sure if anyone noticed but the NES Online games and NES Switch controllers were announced almost exactly a year ago during the September 13th 2018 direct.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Looks like the original Puzzle Quest is hitting Switch soon, too.

This is awesome! The originals were removed on mobile and replaced with some f2p garbage Puzzle Quest games ages ago, and this is a game I've missed playing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    At first I wasn't gonna get it, but I think I really want that special SNES controller. I think I was initially put off because it wasn't a 2-pack like the NES controllers were. But the retro controllers is one of my favorite aspects of the SNES Classic.

Speaking of the SNESc, it's a good thing I hacked mine, because even at launch, NSO has rendered it 55% less useful for me for legitimate purposes.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    You guys, don’t make my mistakes. 30 seconds of googling would have told me that “local coop” for Torchlight II did NOT mean couch coop. It means LAN. >.<

yeah im sitting here trying to get a refund through xbox for this reason too

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    edited September 2019
    akjak wrote: »
    You guys, don’t make my mistakes. 30 seconds of googling would have told me that “local coop” for Torchlight II did NOT mean couch coop. It means LAN. >.<

yeah im sitting here trying to get a refund through xbox for this reason too

Its an even more laughable claim on immobile systems.

I mean its real hard to even do that on the same couch.

rahkeesh2000 on
    edited September 2019
    eelektrik wrote: »

I don't think it looks bad but that is a style change. In line with Xenoblade 2 (obviously) as more cartoony anime. I won't say they looked like regular humans before but they definitely changed skin tone to more colorful/peachy instead of muted and realistic.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Feed Xenoblade DE into my veins please.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Maybe they will put up Blackthorne and Zombies Ate My Neighbors as part of their SNES selection.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Currydex.

This is the weirdest timeline.

After the whole National Dex uproar, this is just them trying to curry favor.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    kinda XB2 spoilers but just in case
    aren't they basically using Shulk's XB2 model?

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    So how exactly is Doom 64 different from regular Doom?

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    So how exactly is Doom 64 different from regular Doom?

It wasn't a remake but an iteration.

Doom64 has much more of a Quake style atmosphere. And utter lack of light. Hopefully that is addressed in this port, especially for a tiny screen sometimes used outdoors.

Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Maybe they will put up Blackthorne and Zombies Ate My Neighbors as part of their SNES selection.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is LucasArts and probably has the same roadblocks as Maniac Mansion.

However you got me thinking of Blizzard's games...Blizzard seems to be on friendly terms with Nintendo. Maybe they could give them Lost Vikings.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is LucasArts and probably has the same roadblocks as Maniac Mansion.

However you got me thinking of Blizzard's games...Blizzard seems to be on friendly terms with Nintendo. Maybe they could give them Lost Vikings.

Well, assuming the rights to the IP aren't tied up with whoever bought Interplay's rights to stuff. (That's apparently an Internet mystery -- no one knows.)

Edit: Never mind, Lost Vikings is available for download on Battle.net, so that answers that question.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

I brought up Blackthorne since they had a free DL for it awhile back. Solid game.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular

Yeah, the combat system in TMS is one of the best I've ever played. It's easy to comprehend, fun to watch, and very, very satisfying to put together the right combination of character skills to pull of a lengthy combo.

Another thing I praise this game for is that its one of the most accessible JRPGs around. If you're one of those people who play JRPGs but feel overwhelmed by massive overworlds with a bajillion side tasks and things to collect and farm, or feel confused by the systems used to build your character and their skills, TMS condenses everything nicely. The overworld is fairly small and all the locations and dungeons are easily accessed. The game's main story is divided into chapters, with a rest period between each one, so you can spend as much time as you want checking out side quests and levelling up your characters before you delve into the next main story event. And unlocking new skills and buffs for your character simply involves creating new weapons and levelling them up by using them in combat. Each weapon gives you different skills, and you can get multiple weapons depending on what materials you've farmed, so its easy to pick out what specific skills you want and build your character your way.

So yeah, I highly recommend this game, especially if you're a fan of Persona or other games about 'Anime Teenagers going on otherworldly adventures'.

I'm certainly curious about what additional content is being added. Hopefully they put an english dub into it this time. After the great voice work in Three Houses, (Not to mention the couple hundred VAs they keep around for Fire Emblem Heroes) there's no good excuse no to.