As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    The free to play Kirby game is really fuckin' good y'all! Very compelling, but thus far zero incentive to buy real money stuff and I've been at it all evening.

It's like Monster Hunter light.

I've had a few slow motion online games but most have been great and the fights are over in a few minutes either way.

That’s funny, when trying to describe it to my husband I said, “You know what? It’s Monster Hunter: Kirby”

We tried a bit, but when he saw the “spend gems to add time [to the fight]” he pretty much noped right out.

If it helps, it is not a microtransaction gatcha slot machine game. Nintendo's "free to start" games are really interesting things. There are microtransactions in the form of gems (gem apples in this case), and there is a stupid stamina "pony up or stop playing" system. But there's also a limit on how much you can spend before the game refuses to take any more of your money, which tends to coincidently be the price of a full game. And at which point all the bullshit gets removed from the game (in this case you'll be getting so many free apples from the tree each day there's no reason to ever buy more).

I don't really have a problem with this kind of MTX system. They really do want you to spend something, and will make the game as grindy as all fuck if you don't. But they're not actually preying on you. The fact that they'll flat out tell you "We don't want your money anymore" is what really makes me kind of respect this system.

...and where is the information telling you what that upper limit is? Because I think you can buy up to $60 in gems in a single pack.

The text on that pack says it maxes out your tree

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    That seems really really high for what the game is.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    So can the Snes controller be used with regular switch games? If so I might pick it up for the sake of games like Celeste.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    So can the Snes controller be used with regular switch games? If so I might pick it up for the sake of games like Celeste.

It seems to have most buttons, outside of a home or screenshot button. So probably.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

It will act just as a sideways joycon iirc ( minus home and screenshot). No word on if you can set the d-pad to read like an analog stick on the fly like with the 8bitdo's yet. My guess would probably be no on that.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The funny thing is that I played the 3DS version never spending a dime, and it really got grindy near the end. Not to mention checking in every 12 hours to collect your apples. Because when you need 100 to unlock the next fight, 10 every 12 hours is a lot of time and you don't want to be wasting even more time.

Here though, I'm actually willing to spend 67 gold coins to buy the cheapest bundle that will also double the output of the tree. And I'm actually considering spending another 150 coins to boost it again.
    In the 3DS original version, Kirby Clash Deluxe, I found it worth spending about $4 to get a moderately-upgraded Gem Apple tree. I didn't put any money into Pokemon Picross since the free option already gave me enough of the daily picross dose. But Kirby Clash Deluxe's requirements for spending Gem Apples made it a lot more restrictive for the purely free play without getting repetitive and grindy. I think that $4 I spent did go quite a long ways, though. I'm not quite sure if I'll go into Super Kirby Clash considering how much I already played Kirby Clash Deluxe, but if I do, I'll probably show some love and put in some cash to start.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    It gets overshadowed by Superstar a lot I think, but Kirby's Dream Land 3 is great.

You weren’t kidding about this. Dream Land 3 appears to be some real top notch Kirby.

There are all these big rideable animals you run across who interact with the standard Kirby-enemy powers in unique ways. When I was a rock, I could just turn into a rock like Kirby does, or I could ride the big adorable cat (who actually pushes Kirby around like a ball instead of Kirby riding the cat), and then the cat will pick up the Kirby rock and smash it into the ground repeatedly. A slime-animal swings the rock around her really fast and can move while swinging. The bird holds the rock in its beak and pogos off the ground.

And it’s all adorable. When Kirby has electricity powers, the big kitty rubs him to build up the charge, and then you can roll Kirby around the level blowing up anything that gets in the way.

This was all in the first two levels. Why have I never played this game.

Edit: Kirby carries the bird while walking, but rides him when running.

Game of the century. I never knew.

Edit edit: And the unchosen animals look sad or annoyed when you’re on a different animal!

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but the NES app got updated. It has the same sorting options as the SNES app and the option to turn the hide the controls.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I really need to buy an 8bitdo SNES pro controller before they all disappear.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The free to play Kirby game is really fuckin' good y'all! Very compelling, but thus far zero incentive to buy real money stuff and I've been at it all evening.

It's like Monster Hunter light.

I've had a few slow motion online games but most have been great and the fights are over in a few minutes either way.

That’s funny, when trying to describe it to my husband I said, “You know what? It’s Monster Hunter: Kirby”

We tried a bit, but when he saw the “spend gems to add time [to the fight]” he pretty much noped right out.

If it helps, it is not a microtransaction gatcha slot machine game. Nintendo's "free to start" games are really interesting things. There are microtransactions in the form of gems (gem apples in this case), and there is a stupid stamina "pony up or stop playing" system. But there's also a limit on how much you can spend before the game refuses to take any more of your money, which tends to coincidently be the price of a full game. And at which point all the bullshit gets removed from the game (in this case you'll be getting so many free apples from the tree each day there's no reason to ever buy more).

I don't really have a problem with this kind of MTX system. They really do want you to spend something, and will make the game as grindy as all fuck if you don't. But they're not actually preying on you. The fact that they'll flat out tell you "We don't want your money anymore" is what really makes me kind of respect this system.

...and where is the information telling you what that upper limit is? Because I think you can buy up to $60 in gems in a single pack.

Hmm, I'm trying to find it. I thought I saw it in game somewhere that said "Once you buy X amount of gems (which is most likely that 5000/$60 pack), that's it". And I'm trying to remember where and when the 3DS version said so, if it did.

I KNOW I've seen this message in their other offerings like Pokemon Quest, Pokemon Picross, and Magikarp Jump. Just looking at the system here, I'm willing to eat a hat if I'm wrong. A lv9 tree gives 90 gems every 12 hours. A max level 10 tree (which the 5000 pack will give you instantly) gives 2000 gems every 12 hours. That amount just cuts the game wide open and lets you actually play it like a proper game. Like I said, in the other games once you buy enough currency to unlock and bypass the bullshit, they don't let you buy anymore currency.

I think the meanest and most disgusting thing they will let you do though is if you've bought multiple pack and bought 4900/5000 gems, they'll happily let you buy the 5000 pack and waste your money.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Stunt Race FX has not aged well. Holy pop-in, Batman

Hasn’t aged well? Yeah because it was never good.

YOU HOLD YOUR TONGUE SIR BATTLE MODE FOOREVER

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

The beauty of typing on a cell phone. With one hand I can hold my tongue and with the other still tell you that Stunt Race FX was a terrible game.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Deadly Premonition Origins isnt on the NZ eshop. How odd.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So apparently the Asian releases of Dragon Quest 1,2 and 3 will have an English language option

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nice I died literally as soon as I left town in breath of fire.

Killed by 3 fleas

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    skeldare wrote: »

It seems to have most buttons, outside of a home or screenshot button. So probably.

no analog sticks
    probably no gyros either, dunno if it has the second set of shoulder buttons either.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

The beauty of typing on a cell phone. With one hand I can hold my tongue and with the other still tell you that Stunt Race FX was a terrible game.

I'll fight you

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

no analog sticks
    probably no gyros either, dunno if it has the second set of shoulder buttons either.

It does, they did a slow pan around of the controller during the direct and showed off the four shoulder buttons. They are tiny little things, though.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I'm conflicted about whether to play these games on the Switch or on my SNES Classic. It'd be convenient to have them all on one system, but I recently bought the wireless 8BitDo controller for the SNES Classic and that's been real nice to use.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Welp, I'm playing Yoshi's Island again. At least until my mother realizes this thing has Yoshi's Island, at which point I will stop playing it because she will hog the Switch herself.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

Killed by 3 fleas

I know the game doesn't fuck around.

Also is one of those games that tries to gate you from new areas entirely through battle difficulty. I can't remember if that is one of those encounters.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I found that out too, didn't die right away but the fleas are rough. But when you get to level 3 or even 2 it gets way better, everything starts doing 1 damage.

I've seen reports online that the game is both too grindy and also too easy. And there are some really significant and well-hidden secrets, but possibly just because the game doesn't give you enough information.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    I'm conflicted about whether to play these games on the Switch or on my SNES Classic. It'd be convenient to have them all on one system, but I recently bought the wireless 8BitDo controller for the SNES Classic and that's been real nice to use.

Did you get the 2.4ghz ones? Because the Bluetooth ones should be able to connect directly to the Switch.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Did you get the 2.4ghz ones? Because the Bluetooth ones should be able to connect directly to the Switch.

Oh damn, I didn't know that. Gonna have to try that out.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    It looks like NES/SNES Online games will no longer be regular monthly additions.

Drip drip drip.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Well that explains why there's so much good stuff in the first 20.

Maybe they wait until retail game releases start drying up before adding more, which would be like, next year.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I honestly didn't have high hopes for a SNES Online service. It feels like Nintendo has realized there's not much blood left to squeeze out of the NES rock, hence why they were willing to give almost their entire library away. SNES games though still have value, and I doubted they'd ever give away the likes of SMW, LTTP, and so on.

I'm also shocked and amazed that they managed to avoid one problem I was curious of. There's not as much crossover between the list and what's on the SNES Classic as I thought there'd be.

they're not giving them away!

they're not even selling them at a discount!

they're renting them to you this time

• Options
    It looks like NES/SNES Online games will no longer be regular monthly additions.

Drip drip drip.

Goes along with my post earlier. Nintendo has about 11 valid first party SNES games they can still release, and third parties aren't exactly breaking down the door to devalue their IPs by offering them for what is perceived as a free subscription bonus.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Drip drip drip.

Goes along with my post earlier. Nintendo has about 11 valid first party SNES games they can still release, and third parties aren't exactly breaking down the door to devalue their IPs by offering them for what is perceived as a free subscription bonus.

At the same time, this is a large enough pool of games that it starts brushing up against the online retro game service people kind of wanted back when NSO launched. If they were doing the drip drop without this big addition I think it’d worry me more - for now I’ve got a lot of my favorite games accessible on my current favorite system, so I’m ok with this.

Edit: Also want to emphasize that Kirby’s Dream Land 3 is an excellent game I had never played, and I really recommend it for others in the same boat. It’s pretty, it plays well, and it’s cute as all get out.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options

Drip drip drip.

At the same time, this is a large enough pool of games that it starts brushing up against the online retro game service people kind of wanted back when NSO launched. If they were doing the drip drop without this big addition I think it’d worry me more - for now I’ve got a lot of my favorite games accessible on my current favorite system, so I’m ok with this.

Oh yeah I absolutely don't think they've got a poor selection right now, love the games we've already got access to. About 50 NES games + 20 SNES, that's a pretty big instant library with some nice features attached to it.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I really need to buy an 8bitdo SNES pro controller before they all disappear.
    I feel the same way, but I'm not sure how best to get them at this point. Only third-party vendors with old stock would have them, right? I'm concerned that they might have it listed as the old, SNES-aping one, but then will just send me the one with the new, legally-permissible look (which I think looks uuuuuuugly).

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    There's also a chance they release more of the romhacked versions for the SNES games each month or so as well, which could keep things interesting. Those would be great for things like RPGs, or even something like Super Metroid.

Cururu on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Give us Mario All-Stars you cowards.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

Drip drip drip.

Oh yeah I absolutely don't think they've got a poor selection right now, love the games we've already got access to. About 50 NES games + 20 SNES, that's a pretty big instant library with some nice features attached to it.

Just to note, I think your posts analyzing what’s been made available and the implications are super interesting, so please, keep doing the prognostication business!

• Options
    edited September 2019
    So fun fact I've gotten wrecked by every game I launched in places I never would have been wrecked before. I meantioned breath of fire already. But also, I literally jumped into the first bullet bill in the first Mario level, I got smashed by a guard right when you enter the castle in LttP, I pulled an 8th in my first Mario Cart course due to a massive crash.

Where is 6-12 year old me when I need 'em

Edit: I did also crash in pilot wings but that just lines up with my expected experience

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    So fun fact I've gotten wrecked by every game I launched in places I never would have been wrecked before. I meantioned breath of fire already. But also, I literally jumped into the first bullet bill in the first Mario level, I got smashed by a guard right when you enter the castle in LttP, I pulled an 8th in my first Mario Cart course due to a massive crash.

Where is 6-12 year old me when I need 'em

Edit: I did also crash in pilot wings but that just lines up with my expected experience

You probably shouldn't boot up Super Ghouls n' Ghosts. Just quit while you're ahead.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I know it seems like people are bummed out by which SNES games are missing, which ones are likely to never come, and how few will probably come out when all is said and done. But I'm just pleased as punch because just about every NES and SNES game I love is playable on Switch (though some through separate compilations).

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Killed by 3 fleas

3 Fleas is probably the hardest encounter right outside the first town. You CAN do it at level 1 if you bought herbs before leaving, but it's rough.

My general rule for Breath of Fire games is to grind about 5 levels per story beat. They aren't as forgiving as Final Fantasy games, but have their own weird abusable quirks.

Example, you get more experience if you end a fight in one round than if you end the same fight in three rounds.

Quickly blazed through Ghouls n Ghosts and started a file in Breath of Fire. I could see why they want to adjust the release rate, SNES games hold up well enough and my nostalgia is strong enough that I could hold off on new releases if I have SNES games

• Options

Drip drip drip.

Just to note, I think your posts analyzing what’s been made available and the implications are super interesting, so please, keep doing the prognostication business!

Thanks, I just think it's interesting to look into, and kinda gratifying when it turns out to be correct and we get months like DK3 and Wrecking Crew, exactly as expected. But then Vice Project Doom was a surprise and shows how sometimes they reach for lesser-known gems.

I figured it took a little bit of effort to dig through publisher info and I might as well repost the info elsewhere, so I posted it on Reddit, and was immediately met with negativity and skepticism and got downvoted. Then half a day later the news dropped that SNES releases weren't necessarily going to be monthly anymore, and it was the perfect opportunity to repost it, so I'm picking up the spare so to speak. :P

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dammit. ToM comes out 1 month later than I wanted.

That would have been the perfect game for a long plane ride at the end of March.