As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Switch getting a nice collectors edition for Trails of Cold Steel III

Excellent. I held off on buying it on PS4 this year, so I'll just wait for the Switch release. Been a while since I played the first two games though, I think I've forgotten most of the finer story details by now.

This is actually a second trilogy, right?

Wasn't there a Legend of Heroes trilogy on the PSP or whatever?

I actually have not played any of the Trials of Cold Steel games because I've been wanting to go back and finish the first trilogy first but that will probably never happen at this point, if I'm being honest with myself. Do you know if they are related story-wise?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Drez wrote: »

Excellent. I held off on buying it on PS4 this year, so I'll just wait for the Switch release. Been a while since I played the first two games though, I think I've forgotten most of the finer story details by now.

I actually have not played any of the Trials of Cold Steel games because I've been wanting to go back and finish the first trilogy first but that will probably never happen at this point, if I'm being honest with myself. Do you know if they are related story-wise?

So, yes.

All 9 games are related (Trails in sky 1-3, Trails of Azure and Zero, Cold Steel 1-4). Sky takes place first, and Azure/Zero take place around the time of Cold Steel 1/2. All the games are in the same world.

You do not need to have played any of the other series to understand what's going on, but the Cold Steel games will reference characters and events here and there that you won't know about. Sky is the beginning so they reference nothing you don't know. I think Crossbell is mostly silent on that issue too.

Cold Steel 1 and 2 have mostly small references. Cold Steel 3 tries actually start tying both prior series together. Again, you'll be fine if you don't know what happened, the game will tell you what you need to know, but you'll definitely wonder who people are a bit and why they're important.

I'd advise doing Cold Steel in order, and you'll be more or less good to go. Starting with CS3 will definitely make you very confused.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Trails of what now?

gWQZH4K.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    It will probably sell reasonably well...but I can also see it ending up as a Spirits Within-level miscalculation too. Probably not. I don't know.

They could've done it like Dragon Quest 7 went from early 3D/sprites to DQ8-level 3D on 3DS and had it finished and thoroughly enjoyable in a couple years. Instead they're kind of going nuts.

Oh man, The Spirits Within!

I was working a retail job and we all had an unlimited membership for the cinema.

Me and one the lads weren't working Friday, so we went to see Zoolander and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back in the morning, met other mates and saw Spirits Within and Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes.

The first half of the day was full of laughter, the second was full of disappointment at missed opportunities.

I hope the rumoured Resident Evil 3 remake is better than Tim Burton's effort. What a let down.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    That's a good way to put it, a missed opportunity.

People associate computer generated graphics with more kid oriented things, or at least a more action-packed fun story. People associate Final Fantasy with...fantasy, and magic and weapons, and a plucky ragtag group out to save the world. I don't know whose idea it was to basically make
    an apocalyptic horror movie where everyone dies.
    Depressing as hell.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Speaking of things that are not meant for kids despite their appearance:

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Action scenes where gunfire does nothing! Rinse and repeat.

I don't think there were enough CG movies at the time to associate with kid friendly fare in the same way we would now, if some different decisions were taken, we could be looking at a different environment, like anime.

Despite what some corners of the internet tell us, anime is a medium, not a genre. I don't necessarily think we need CG quiet dramas, but more variety would be nice.

EDIT: spoilers on a twenty year old movie? Commendable.

My spoilers for that movie? It was a bit shit.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I know I'm really late on this one, but Freedom Planet is very very good. Fun story, great characters, and very sonic the hedgehogie without the horrible stuff.

Some of the bosses are a bit too hard at times. :?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I know I'm really late on this one, but Freedom Planet is very very good. Fun story, great characters, and very sonic the hedgehogie without the horrible stuff.

Some of the bosses are a bit too hard at times. :?

On this I'll say, without contradicting you, that the boss design frequently suffers from "single acceptable response" design, where avoiding taking damage and inflicting an acceptable amount of damage requires a very specific set of gestures out of you, and anything else will likely get you damaged and/or miss your opportunity to strike back. Once you discover the correct gesture the battle is trivial. It's just that that can take multiple attempts to establish, which requires a certain kind of mindset to tolerate.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yea, I can see that. It wasn't really much of a complaint to be honest, because I had a great time with the bosses also. I just died at most of them a lot, like some of them a lot a lot.

Some of their attacks take a ton of damage from you. :bigfrown:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    6p30csK.jpg

Perhaps I've gone a bit too far for such a small space.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

So, yes.

All 9 games are related (Trails in sky 1-3, Trails of Azure and Zero, Cold Steel 1-4). Sky takes place first, and Azure/Zero take place around the time of Cold Steel 1/2. All the games are in the same world.

You do not need to have played any of the other series to understand what's going on, but the Cold Steel games will reference characters and events here and there that you won't know about. Sky is the beginning so they reference nothing you don't know. I think Crossbell is mostly silent on that issue too.

Cold Steel 1 and 2 have mostly small references. Cold Steel 3 tries actually start tying both prior series together. Again, you'll be fine if you don't know what happened, the game will tell you what you need to know, but you'll definitely wonder who people are a bit and why they're important.

I'd advise doing Cold Steel in order, and you'll be more or less good to go. Starting with CS3 will definitely make you very confused.

Oh, people mentioned the Trails series, now I am justified in my proselytizing about how it is my favoritest thing ever!

Or I can just link this video as the guy does a far better job of explaining just why the series is worth people's attention.

https://youtu.be/TaN2G-AEd9Q

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    6p30csK.jpg

Perhaps I've gone a bit too far for such a small space.

Or, and here me out, you haven't gone far enough!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    There's like 400 dollars in Nintendo collectibles hidden behind that wall of systems.

I need some risers.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If you want to get in on the Trails series just jump in at Cold Steel 1. Trails in the Sky is insufferable, consistently doing the worst anime tropes every step of the way. Trails of Cold Steel, by contrast, is one of the best jurps i've ever played and i've played it about four times through now, on Vita then PC.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Yeah I've eyed the first cold steel on steam the last few sales. For some reason my brains feels weird about jrpgs on PC. It's just... It goes against tradition

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/Nintendo-Switch-Joy-Con-Joystick/IF378-015?o=3

ifixit now has Joy-Con drift repair kits, consisting of a replacement left or right Joy-Con joystick unit and the tools to replace for $20, or the joystick only for $15.

That's significantly more expensive than what you can get elsewhere. Most of that is pretty low quality, though, is the ifixit stuff more reliable?

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

So, yes.

@Tcheldor Thank you! Extremely helpful!

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I like to say that Freedom Planet's other half is mostly Rocket Night Adventures, which also featured a tough learning curve on bosses. Whats worse? is that the three characters are different enough that I had to die repeatedly coming up with different approaches each time. I'd spend as much time on the final boss as the stage itself I was so bad. But it is kind of refreshing compared to Sonic's mostly joke bosses that you could typically one-ring if nothing else, and you do have infinite continues at least on normal.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Very late to the party, but I'm finally playing Yoshi's Crafted World, and it's pretty good! And absolutely adorable. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy in an elementary school way.

Oh, there's a world called "Shadowville?" Aw, I can't wait to be all creeped out in a cute way. Hee hee!
    OH GOD A SHRIEKING DOLL IS CHASING ME WITH AN AXE OH FUCK THERE'S MORE OF THEM THEY'RE BREAKING THROUGH THE WALLS AND SO FAST FUCK FUCK FUCK oh whew, they don't like light, I'll just hang out under this light bulb for a moment and throw an egg at this question cloud OH FUCK THE LIGHT WENT OUT AND THEY'RE ALL AFTER ME WITH AXES NO LIGHT ANYWHERE RUN RUN FUCK FUCK FUCK

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I grabbed the demo of Crafted World and it unsold me on it. It's got that "we're doing a sequel to Yoshi's Island" problem that Island DS and Island 2 had in that they just come off as inferior copies. This was a bit different with the crafted theme, but the 3DS version (the only one I could buy) doesn't really stick the landing on the graphics at all.

So I bought Captain Toad instead and that's been very fun.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm something like 2 chapters away from finishing Three Houses. Blue Lion route. The timer says something like 100 hours, geez.

Love the fuck out of the game, but so much of it is kind of a slog. I know exactly why the game timer is that long. Every month begins with a slow combing over of the school, talking to everyone, collecting all the dropped items, deciding how to spend the time. That can take about an hour or more if I take my time, but the small benefit is that this only has to be done once a month. Then comes the other weeks. About half way through the game, seminars stopped being worth it, because I have the funds and means to just shove gifts and food down everyone's gullet for max motivation. So the only thing worth doing is battles. 3 battles at a time, because the series has conditioned me to not even think of wasting this limited resource. Each battle has about a 5 minute setup, just making sure all items are up to snuff, checking jobs and mastered skills, and checking supports and resetting adjutants (the one really weak point in all of this, that adjutants don't properly save between fights so I'm constantly fiddling with it). Then back to the school which goes faster as it's just gift and food time. Then 3 more battles. The finally the monthly story battle. I don't hate doing any of it... but after 20 repetitions of it, I'm starting to feel it.

What's really getting to me though is the potential of having to do it again. Because after Ch.12, I knew I wanted to do at least one more playthrough. Because damn that was good. But man, having to do all that again, much less 3 more times for the other routes... If this game were just one route, one story, I'd be fuckin' satisifed and happy. Knowing there's more, though... It might not be something I do right away at least.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Does anyone "defensively buy" physical copies of games they MAY want to play? What i mean by defensively buying is purchasing the game now to prevent potential scarcity and scalping later. I prefer to have physical copies of games (summary: remove the dependence on servers being up, can be more easily transferred to other systems, friends houses, etc.) and now with many games getting the Limited Run treatment or having a short window of availability, I may be more inclined to do it. I've done this for a while with other systems since I had disposable income, but the Switch is getting so many releases.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I think I have like 300+ Switch games now, 6 of which are physical unless you count LABO VR and Ring Fit Adventures.

So not me.

Honestly, I wish I could trade those 6-8 carts in for download versions.

Drez on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Does anyone "defensively buy" physical copies of games they MAY want to play? What i mean by defensively buying is purchasing the game now to prevent potential scarcity and scalping later. I prefer to have physical copies of games (summary: remove the dependence on servers being up, can be more easily transferred to other systems, friends houses, etc.) and now with many games getting the Limited Run treatment or having a short window of availability, I may be more inclined to do it. I've done this for a while with other systems since I had disposable income, but the Switch is getting so many releases.

I do. Primarily with old ds and 3ds games.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Picked up the Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection. While only 4 is actually on the card, it's nice that at least Rogue isn't a code. You just have to download it from within the game through the eShop.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm something like 2 chapters away from finishing Three Houses. Blue Lion route. The timer says something like 100 hours, geez.

Love the fuck out of the game, but so much of it is kind of a slog. I know exactly why the game timer is that long. Every month begins with a slow combing over of the school, talking to everyone, collecting all the dropped items, deciding how to spend the time. That can take about an hour or more if I take my time, but the small benefit is that this only has to be done once a month. Then comes the other weeks. About half way through the game, seminars stopped being worth it, because I have the funds and means to just shove gifts and food down everyone's gullet for max motivation. So the only thing worth doing is battles. 3 battles at a time, because the series has conditioned me to not even think of wasting this limited resource. Each battle has about a 5 minute setup, just making sure all items are up to snuff, checking jobs and mastered skills, and checking supports and resetting adjutants (the one really weak point in all of this, that adjutants don't properly save between fights so I'm constantly fiddling with it). Then back to the school which goes faster as it's just gift and food time. Then 3 more battles. The finally the monthly story battle. I don't hate doing any of it... but after 20 repetitions of it, I'm starting to feel it.

What's really getting to me though is the potential of having to do it again. Because after Ch.12, I knew I wanted to do at least one more playthrough. Because damn that was good. But man, having to do all that again, much less 3 more times for the other routes... If this game were just one route, one story, I'd be fuckin' satisifed and happy. Knowing there's more, though... It might not be something I do right away at least.

I imagine if all you want is to experience the other route's story all you'd need to do is set the difficulty to easy and only do quest and story missions well using renown to buy whatever else you needed.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Man how many good indie games are on the Switch right now? I just got done gushong about Katana Zero, booted up Black Future '88 and now I'm blown away by that too. I'm drowning in greatness.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

This is the entire reason I bought Daemon X Machina.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I beat Dragon Quest for the first time in like 3 decades. Literally the last time I beat it, it was still called Dragon Warrior.

I'm deep into Dragon Quest 2 now, but fuck Tombola (the "Lottery" slots game).

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Mostly for RPGs for new franchises and/or with low launch popularity/marketing, and/or an extreme vendor-exclusivity deal. That sort of thing is a perfect storm for "this will be expensive later". e.g. Ar Nosurge Vita was only ever sold physically as an LE through the NISA store and goes for like $200+ now.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    That's significantly more expensive than what you can get elsewhere. Most of that is pretty low quality, though, is the ifixit stuff more reliable?

The tools might be higher quality, which is an issue since all the cheap kits come with torx that are a bit oversized and can easily strip the joycon screws.

The sticks themselves, the answer is definitely no, ALL of them are low quality, that's why we are fixing this drift in the first place!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I've never actually had enough disposable income to buy all the games I want, let alone to try and future-proof my collection of games. I honestly can't even picture how this would feel.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    i have the disposable income to buy any game i want.
    i'm not rich, i just don't want very many games.

i guess i've bought stuff on steam on speculation if it's 75% or more off, but i stopped doing that in recent years because i never play them anyway.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Anyone else here played Golf Peaks and can remember how they did this level?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I beat Dragon Quest for the first time in like 3 decades. Literally the last time I beat it, it was still called Dragon Warrior.

Dragon Warrior II on the NES was brutal. I beat the game, but it killed my interest in the series for years after that. Since then, I've only played a little bit of Dragon Warrior VII for PS1 ("only" 30 hours or so) and completed Dragon Quest IV for DS. I'm really itching to dive back into the series, though.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Dragon Quest 2 had a big problem of NPCs not telling you what you needed to do. It was very exploration heavy, which at the time on NES, was par for the course. Only the vaguest of clues (such as how to find the mirror) and a lot of random searching (the actual command).

As a helpful hint, tombola in DQ2 is pretty useless. It's nothing compared to Treasures'n'Trapdoors from the DQ3 remake that gets put into DQ4-5-6

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Anyone else here played Golf Peaks and can remember how they did this level?

I don't know anything about Golf Peaks, but you made me curious. I went and looked it up. If you want a hint...I don't know, maybe this should be obvious by looking at it:
    You have to make use of the little diagonal block at the bottom.
    I'm guessing bumping into something reduces the travel number by one.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    SteevL wrote: »

Dragon Warrior II on the NES was brutal. I beat the game, but it killed my interest in the series for years after that. Since then, I've only played a little bit of Dragon Warrior VII for PS1 ("only" 30 hours or so) and completed Dragon Quest IV for DS. I'm really itching to dive back into the series, though.

Yeah I’m...playing through the entire series in order, since I own them all by only ever beat DQ1 and never played anything past 3 outside of literally a couple of minutes.

Dragon Quest 2 had a big problem of NPCs not telling you what you needed to do. It was very exploration heavy, which at the time on NES, was par for the course. Only the vaguest of clues (such as how to find the mirror) and a lot of random searching (the actual command).

As a helpful hint, tombola in DQ2 is pretty useless. It's nothing compared to Treasures'n'Trapdoors from the DQ3 remake that gets put into DQ4-5-6

Eh...maybe not, but I pushed through. Giving Arthur and (a little later) Isolde their own Wizard Staff was a pretty huge bump IMO. Not only in weapon attack but unlimited casts of Sizz with no MP cost...

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I haven't preemptively bought anything like that since the PS3 days, and those games I bought for my PS3? Turned into Half-Price Books still unopened.