Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I am saddened to just now find out that no one is actually making Child of Light II despite it being teased last year

• Options
    Also, my high score of 75k puts me at rank 26th in the world. Clearly not a lot of people are okaying this game. :lol:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I am saddened to just now find out that no one is actually making Child of Light II despite it being teased last year

Well now I'm sad.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I lean digital for most of the reasons other people have said. Also, this was the Canadian gaming experience in the 00's:

(DISCLAIMER: This was like sixteen years ago, and some details may be incorrect, but the core of it still very true)
    You want an obscure game!
    1) Amazon.com won't ship electronics or video games internationally
    2) Amazon.ca doesn't have the game in question and shipping prices are comically expensive
    3) Get a PO box in the USA, that's a valid address for Amazon to ship to!
    4) They want a drivers license before you can rent a PO box
    5) Fuck
    6) Wait wait you know someone else with a US PO box, they can help you
    7) okay but now you have to fool Amazon.com into thinking you're a American?
    8) fuck maybe Toronto has a copy, Toronto has everything
    9) Toronto is three hours away dipshit
    10) and you can't drive
    11) even if this hypothetical game arrived at the PO box somewhere in the USA, now you have to ask mom to pick it up for you
    12) and then she has to cross the border, with your shady video game that you pretended to be an American to get
    13) Is this smuggling
    14) This is smuggling
    15) Maybe it's not smuggling but you're sixteen and an idiot
    16) you don't actually want Master Quest this badly.

I have discussed with my parents the logistics of getting a PO box in Michigan, for the purposes of getting stuff Amazon Canada didn't feel like carrying.

Anyway now I can just connect to WiFi and download video games and every day is a party.

• Options
    YggiDee wrote: »
    I lean digital for most of the reasons other people have said. Also, this was the Canadian gaming experience in the 00's:

(DISCLAIMER: This was like sixteen years ago, and some details may be incorrect, but the core of it still very true)
    2) Amazon.ca doesn't have the game in question and shipping prices are comically expensive
    5) Fuck
    10) and you can't drive
    11) even if this hypothetical game arrived at the PO box somewhere in the USA, now you have to ask mom to pick it up for you
    12) and then she has to cross the border, with your shady video game that you pretended to be an American to get
    13) Is this smuggling
    14) This is smuggling

I have discussed with my parents the logistics of getting a PO box in Michigan, for the purposes of getting stuff Amazon Canada didn't feel like carrying.

Anyway now I can just connect to WiFi and download video games and every day is a party.

On a roof none the less!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Also, my high score of 75k puts me at rank 26th in the world. Clearly not a lot of people are okaying this game. :lol:

How do you see your standing?

• Options

How do you see your standing?

In the menu, there is a leaderboard option. You can sort by “all” and “you”. Considering there’s less than 100 people on the board, getting 26 isn’t hard. That’s basically beating the champ and 1-2 people after.

Naturally, 1st place is like 300k+. :rotate:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm #11!

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Looks like I'm #11!

Son of a ....

Looks like we got a rivalry brewing.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Well I went into a bestbuy while waiting to pick up an order nearby and I don't know what happened, but I have an sn30 pro+ now. I just give Nintendo coins to constanza now or what?

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    If it weren't for indie games not being on cartridge, I wouldn't have anything digital. As an old timer, I find that for them not needing to produce/ship anything, makes no sense for the price to be the same. I appreciate the digital sales but it still does not compute in my head.

Data storage, bandwidth, and server maintenance aren’t free.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    akjak wrote: »
    If it weren't for indie games not being on cartridge, I wouldn't have anything digital. As an old timer, I find that for them not needing to produce/ship anything, makes no sense for the price to be the same. I appreciate the digital sales but it still does not compute in my head.

If we just got rid of physical games, we could lower the prices across the board. But retailers would loss their minds, and rightfully so, if on day one games were $40-$50 digital vs $60

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

If we just got rid of physical games, we could lower the prices across the board. But retailers would loss their minds, and rightfully so, if on day one games were $40-$50 digital vs $6

Aside from Nintendo and carts of various forms I don't think the per-unit cost of physical games is very high. There's definitely more middlemen getting a cut, so there's more profit/unit with direct digital sales, but... bulk shipping, discs, etc are all dirt cheap.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Well I went into a bestbuy while waiting to pick up an order nearby and I don't know what happened, but I have an sn30 pro+ now. I just give Nintendo coins to constanza now or what?

Yes

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    The downside of 20 family members all using the same prime account is that you accidentally find out what your christmas present is when you go to buy an Eshop card. (My aunt got me Planescape for switch wee!)

Also wow Children of Morta is a great game well worth the money.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    The downside of 20 family members all using the same prime account is that you accidentally find out what your christmas present is when you go to buy an Eshop card. (My aunt got me Planescape for switch wee!)

Man, that’s awesome but also sucks that you know early.

My 5-year old just straight up told me because she was so excited. About it.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I relate to that.

When i get somebody a gift it takes all of my will power to not run to them and jump up and down and proclaim i got them a gift.

It's just so exciting to get somebody a gift you want them to be excited to.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Just to correct some wrong information in here, Xbox game sharing is 100% superior.

Here's how it works. Bill and Ted each have an Xbox. Bill goes into system settings and marks his Xbox as Ted's primary, likewise Ted selects that his Xbox is Bill's primary console. Now Bill purchases a digital copy of any game. Ted can instantly download that game for free at his home too AND they can play it at the same time from their own units, including online with each other. This works vice versa when Ted buys digital games too.

Even better, only one of Bill or Ted need to pay for an active Xbox Live sub. Even Gamepass is shared.

Final note, MS is fully aware this is a thing and have stated in interviews that they have no plans to change the system to not work this way, they consider it a perk.

Wait, Xbox Live Gold is shared?

...I think I've been wasting money.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »

Man, that’s awesome but also sucks that you know early.

My 5-year old just straight up told me because she was so excited. About it.

I have always pretty much known exactly what I'm getting.

Since I was young my parents and I have had an understanding that they probably don't know exactly what I like, and neither of us likes being disappointed on xmas, so I basically tell them exactly what I want and they get exactly that. As part of the understanding I keep it reasonable and don't ask for ridiculous or super hard to get stuff.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

5) Fuck
    10) and you can't drive
    13) Is this smuggling
    14) This is smuggling

There are companies along the border that act as shipping points for this very purpose. You ship to their address and then go pick up your package. When I used one it was $5 per pickup.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Codyy90Codyy90 Registered User new member
    Hey there! Just got my Switch and want to get a cool game for it. Any suggestions?

• Options
    Codyy90 wrote: »
    Hey there! Just got my Switch and want to get a cool game for it. Any suggestions?

Oh man, where to begin. Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey are good starting points. What kind of games or genres do you like?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I finally launched the dq11 demo and I forgot that this was one of the series that pioneered silent protags and uh, it's real weird in this fully voiced world. Maybe it's less of a thing once you start getting more of a cast and it's less "talking directly to MC, mc ignores them" and more "group conversation, mc ignores them"

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Codyy90 wrote: »

Oh man, where to begin. Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey are good starting points. What kind of games or genres do you like?

Indeed! It all comes down to what you like to do!

One is a game in which you can spend a 100+ hours exploring and collecting things and the other is a game in which you can spend a 100+ hours exploring and collecting things!

Either way, they got you covered!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I finally launched the dq11 demo and I forgot that this was one of the series that pioneered silent protags and uh, it's real weird in this fully voiced world. Maybe it's less of a thing once you start getting more of a cast and it's less "talking directly to MC, mc ignores them" and more "group conversation, mc ignores them"

No, it stays weird. There's some plot stuff later where the protagonist really should say something, and the fact that he doesn't is jarring.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I checked while I was picking up my phone yesterday and they were $10 off. Seems to be an in-store promo.

EDIT: Now seems to be available online.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I ended up picking up Axiom Verge, Trine 4, Child of Light and Degrees of Separation so far. Still a heap of store balance and ~2k coins to go.

I've heard nothing but good things about Axiom and Child of Light, and I've always loved the Trine games.

Degrees of Separation looked like it was "good enough" to take a chance on for two whole dollars, and has an interesting co-op mechanic. It's a puzzle platformer where one character has heat powers and one has cold powers, so they can't come near each other, and have to collaborate to puzzle solve. It looked clever and was reviewed ok. Certainly enough to throw two bucks at. It's something to play with my daughter.

Cog on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

No, it stays weird. There's some plot stuff later where the protagonist really should say something, and the fact that he doesn't is jarring.

My favorite part was where the whole cast went "No, we can't let you do this thing." Then, 3 seconds of a blank stare later, they do a 180. "Well, we can see there's no stopping your heartfelt conviction."

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dragon Quest being committed to a set, unchangable protagonist... while also making that protagonist silent and giving them basically no story or agency is one of the more frustrating things about the series.

I'd probably like DQ11 but that dumb looking mute twit just turns me off it entirely.

• Options
    I wouldn't even mind a silent protagonist if they'd fucking commit. There's a few flashbacks to the Hero as a kid and he's chatty! But I guess when he hit puberty his vocal chords fell out.
    Actually, no. Don't give me a silent protagonist, give me a mute protagonist and then work with it. I want a lead character who uses ASL (or I guess JSL?) with subtitles.

• Options
    i honestly don't understand how we ever came onto that idea. like ok it's likely a nod to TTRPGs where you are the character and are defining the story, but that doesn't work in a video game with a set story that the character has to interact with in a meaningful way. I've never felt like I was a character in a video game when that character wasn't a well realized individual. I'd relate more to a real character with completely locked dialog (not even giving me yes/no prompts) than any blank slate (with or without yes/no prompts). Even a Squall level "..." is more meaningful than a silent character that seems to completely ignore everything.

And I'd love to have a non speaking protagonist that was still a well realized character. I think the general in Dragon Prince is a phenomenal character and despite me not knowing ASL, I'm able to derive so much meaning from her actions and interactions with other people

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Golden Sun had a cute take on silent protagonists, since you swap leading man between games, the silent protagonist of the first part becomes a chatty n' sassy boy in the second, and vice versa.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    I didn't realize that bothered anyone. I find it kinda charming lol

• Options
    DQXI has some very strong story beats and our hero just stares blankly at events that should elict at least one (1) genuine emotion.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Picked up Golf Story since it was on sale. Not sure when I'll dive into it, but happy to have it at a discount earlier than I expected.

Bought that yesterday and I cant stop playing it. It's just so damned good.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I wouldn't even mind a silent protagonist if they'd fucking commit. There's a few flashbacks to the Hero as a kid and he's chatty! But I guess when he hit puberty his vocal chords fell out.
    Actually, no. Don't give me a silent protagonist, give me a mute protagonist and then work with it. I want a lead character who uses ASL (or I guess JSL?) with subtitles.

Let me tell you about Crosscode

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Quest for Glory figured the silent protagonist out ages ago, you just get John Rhys-Davies to narrate how you say/tell someone X without going word for word.

Of course it's easier to justify a Narrator when you have to click on tiny little pixels to hear descriptions of what they are supposed to represent. But if Bastion can make it work so can others.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Silent protagonists don't bother me at all, and in fact I think the DQXI protagonist's muteness is charming in a way that reminds me of Link etc. I generally don't get too up in arms about games that lack voice acting either, as I think it's just fine...unless you're doing a Pokemon Sword & Shield and the characters have moving mouths during cutscenes and just give them a voice for pete's sake! My goodness.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried the switch port of Ashen. I am intrigued but am interested if it has a stable frame rate