Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    So glad I got Into The Breach. That game is incredible. Giant robots and turn-based tactics? Yes pls.

Can't believe I waited until now to try it out. Same with Katamari which is AN ABSOLUTE BANGER.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    In the most recent games, Link isn't a silent protagonist. He's clearly explaining things to people throughout the story, they just... don't depict him communicating. It's weird and I don't like it.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So glad I got Into The Breach. That game is incredible. Giant robots and turn-based tactics? Yes pls.

Can't believe I waited until now to try it out. Same with Katamari which is AN ABSOLUTE BANGER.

Into the Breach is the perfect game for staring at for a long time and then having an "AH HA!" moment.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Silent protagonists are fine to me. I just don’t like when things are too quiet overall. There were too many Zelda games where the characters silently flapped their mouths during written dialog. It always looked awkward and antiquated.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    6n8z8srbf8rr.jpg

Too much time, or too little?

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Only 125 for me. My Switch time majorly dropped off after I was done with Smash Bros.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    I don't mind a silent protagonist as long as they don't treat the story/dialog like they're talking to Lassie. Just started Luigi's Mansion and in two of the early scenes it's all very "Why am I doing x you ask? Well I'll tell you now!" and "What's do you mean Mario fell down the well?" Say the damn thing, no need to be rhetorical about it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Mine was only 126 and sharply drops off in July
    I had a very bad summer

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    hot take: no game has a silent protagonist, only players with a lack of imagination

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    hot take: no game has a silent protagonist, only players with a lack of imagination

Mario RPG has the most silent of protagonists

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Maybe the weirdest take on the silent protagonist I've ever seen was Code Vein. You pick a voice at the start, but it's for combat grunts and emotes only. There's no dialogue from the character.

Until the last scene of one of the endings, where they suddenly say a full and complete sentence.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Maybe the weirdest take on the silent protagonist I've ever seen was Code Vein. You pick a voice at the start, but it's for combat grunts and emotes only. There's no dialogue from the character.

Until the last scene of one of the endings, where they suddenly say a full and complete sentence.

Reminds me of saints row 1.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Plenty of games with The Silent Protag are extremely good.

Chrono Trigger
    Super Mario RPG
    Earthbound

Where the Dragon Quest games really took a detour was to have no silent protags for their musou series. Dragon Quest Heroes (both of them) have very chatty main protags.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

I think Xenoblade X is the same way if I remember right. Also every Monster Hunter game. Choose the voice for your grunts.

Actually yeah, lots of MMOs and games in that style are that way, choose the voice of your battle grunts and cheers and emotes. Elder Scrolls Online etc.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular

I think Xenoblade X is the same way if I remember right.

Cross never speaks in X aside from battle/emotes, but while your dialogue choices aren't voiced the other characters do react to your responses/decisions so it isn't like you're a non-entity.

Battle dialog is also different between each voice/personality, and your party members will have unique responses between each of them for post-battle banter.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

That only really makes sense if you are some sorta precog.

Because if you are imagining them saying whatever you want and the next response doesn't match to what you imagined, whoops! Illusion shattered.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    As a general rule I don't like silent protagonists. There are some games where it works better than others. I can read (or play) a story where the protagonist has a personality and still be immersed, whereas a character that stands around silently while plot and character development happens around them is not immersive and I don't feel like I AM that character.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    DQ is weird. I can imagine the riots in the streets if they make any changes to the formula that has existed since the dawn of time. Honestly I don't find it too distracting that the Hero doesn't talk. It's just a thing that happens in the DQ series that I've accepted lol

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I think that decision has a strong impact on the way the story feels. Not just superficially the weirdness of other characters speaking for you, but in terms of the overall feel, how it's never going to be a story about the hero, but more a series of vignettes about the people he helps.

DQ has always been a series of vignettes dealing with specific scenarios. A town where all the men were kidnapped and taken to the mines. A town where they have to sacrifice someone to a dragon every year. A town where everyone has been turned to stone. As a silent protagonist you're the lone stranger coming in to set things right, the Clint Eastwood.

This doesn't make it good or bad, just means you're telling a different sort of story, focusing on those smaller plot threads more often instead of constantly building on main cast drama. Fallout 4 being fully voiced meant the survivor needed to keep asking about finding Sean even as they were going around interacting whatever they came across with, and it feeling a little disjointed when they have such a powerful motivation to seek out their son.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

Chrono Trigger
    Super Mario RPG
    Earthbound

Where the Dragon Quest games really took a detour was to have no silent protags for their musou series. Dragon Quest Heroes (both of them) have very chatty main protags.

Is no one seriously going to mention Half-Life? It's the quintessential "silent protag" game.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    New to Switch here as well. I absolutely love BotW but I'm not super impressed by Odyssey and I am looking for more suggestions. I picked up Smash because I want to get competent at it so my brother doesn't destroy me at get togethers, I have Mario Kart for the wife and I to play, but I'm unsure what to go with when I finally finish BotW. I like open world games, action-adventure games, most RPGs but not JRPGs (anime-style art creeps me out), I don't usually like platformers (which is probably why I don't care for Odyssey), and strategy games.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    New to Switch here as well. I absolutely love BotW but I'm not super impressed by Odyssey and I am looking for more suggestions. I picked up Smash because I want to get competent at it so my brother doesn't destroy me at get togethers, I have Mario Kart for the wife and I to play, but I'm unsure what to go with when I finally finish BotW. I like open world games, action-adventure games, most RPGs but not JRPGs (anime-style art creeps me out), I don't usually like platformers (which is probably why I don't care for Odyssey), and strategy games.

Hmm. Maybe Octopath Traveler (yes, JRPG, but the art style is largely fake 16-bit-like), and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

Oh, and Skyrim and Witcher 3. If, somehow, you haven't played those games on other platforms yet or would like to play them on the go.

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Silent protagonists I can usually work with, but the DQXI protagonist specifically is uncomfortably stone-faced for most of the game. I think Eight had facial expressions.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I like how Fire Emblem Three Houses made the fact that the player character is a near-silent one an actually important plot point.

But it's also the kind of trick I'd like to see pulled off once before going back to having a regular player character again. I don't want Fire Emblem to make a habit of it.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

This will largely depend on how much you have access to on other platforms.

I'm personally not a fan of Skyrim with less than about 120 mods, but I can see the draw of having it on the go. Witcher 3 is the definition of open world action-adventure.

Dark Souls Remastered runs acceptably well on the Switch. I have it on Switch and PC and while I "notice" the difference when I swap platforms, it doesn't ruin the gamplay. Porta-Souls is wonderful.

Luigi's Mansion is fun, and the story mode becomes a multi-player game within the first ~15-30 minutes (depending on how meticulous you are) if you want other things to play with your wife. Has baked in mutliplayer modes as well.

Darkest Dungeon has all the important DLCs available now. It plays VERY well with touch controls. The controller-only controls take some getting used to but are fine.

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a severely underappreciated co-op action game where you have to jump around between spaceship stations to explore, fight and defend.

All the Banner Saga games are available, as solid turn based RPGs.

Overcooked 1 & 2 are good for yelling at each other about who needs to cut the tomatoes and who needs to put out the stove that's on fire.

Unravel 2 is an adorable co-op sidescroller. The platforming might turn you off, but it's as much puzzle game as platformer, and the co-op platforming is really well done.

If you've never played Bastion and\or Transistor, you really owe it to yourself. Both are action\adventure RPGs. Bastion leans more into the action side, Transistor leans more into RPG\strategy, but both are action games at heart and both are a joy.

The Bayonetta games would certainly scratch the Action itch.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is a fun puzzle game. I played the Wii U version and can recommend as a nice chill puzzle solving game with a ton of content.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular

I'm going to reccomend Golf Story. It is charming, fun, has light RPG elements and is just a great indie game. Last I checked a few days ago it was on sale for just under $10 (normally $15). I pretty much recommend it for everyone that just bought the Switch.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    This is a historically important video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3XnKr0lvDw

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019

Because if you are imagining them saying whatever you want and the next response doesn't match to what you imagined, whoops! Illusion shattered.

Or you fill in the blanks between the two things the person said? Or even just work on the assumption they aren't sitting there like a board while people they (typically) care about talk to them? I feel like this isn't much of a stretch.

Chrono Trigger
    Super Mario RPG
    Earthbound

Doesn't Chrono get dialogue options during the trial?

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019

This starts getting really semantics. Link in Wind Waker at a couple points says "meow" and "come on!" so is he silent protag? What about BOTW Link who gets short dialogue options but never says anything aloud, especially in cutscenes? If that counts as silent, there's also Skyrim protag, who also never says anything aloud and doesn't really have much personality in dialogue, which is like 90% asking mild questions.

UncleSporky on
  • Options

This starts getting really semantics. Link in Wind Waker at a couple points says "meow" and "come on!" so is he silent protag? What about BOTW Link who gets short dialogue options but never says anything aloud, especially in cutscenes?

that's moreso me saying "well if we have examples of them talking then it feels unreasonable to assume they never say anything else, it's just hidden from user perception in the case they're using this as a self-insert sorta deal"

unless you are doing said self-insert thing, which is valid for playing it but I feel isn't for critically talking about lore things like this

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I think most people don't tend to see it as a totally mute character in-universe. Pressing A at an NPC means that the character said something to them to prompt their reply. I think it's more about the desire for 1: voiced dialogue from the protagonist (like in a real movie etc.) and 2: them emoting properly to major events and being able to demonstrate growing and changing and swearing revenge and all that, instead of appearing generically concerned at all times. I should be clear I don't mind that depending on the game, though, it's about the feel the developers want to give.

One of the few characters I would assume is actually being mute most of the time is Mario.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

Or you fill in the blanks between the two things the person said? Or even just work on the assumption they aren't sitting there like a board while people they (typically) care about talk to them? I feel like this isn't much of a stretch.

This usually works for me until someone in the game says something like, "Strong, silent type, eh?" Or "Not much to say, huh?" That kind of lampshading drives me up the wall, like everyone is in a sketch episode where they're happily oblivious that the main character is a chicken/octopus/android/corpse. Might as well slap on a laugh track at that point.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    While there's some of filling in what a silent protag actually says with your imagination, the more important part is that they mostly let you project your own thoughts and feelings into them, things you will have while playing that a silent protag will rarely contradict by speaking their mind. That's why FE can treat the character as actually mute and the technique still largely works.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    The reason I say Mario is the most silent protagonist is because it is explicitly stated in-game, and mocked, that he doesn’t talk. Then he does all the dumb hilarious pantomime stuff.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yet he still managed to speak volumes.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    He does talk, though.

"Mamma mia"
    "Let's a' go!"

And other pearls of wisdom.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Ahahaha so I bought Another World (Out of This World originally in NA) because my dad and I played it together back in.. ohh say 92 or 93 when I was 5. It's one of the only video games he's ever played. I turn the game on.. show it to him and say, know what this is? Literally before the elevator opened and the main character walked out my dad said "basaloahvuh" which is a sort of jibberish thing the alien buddy says in the game.

I literally bought the game just to do that and it was so, so worth it.

This is late but... mycruuuba

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Arwing model for six bucks! Please buy it, Best Buy is starting to cry every time he sees it sitting on the shelf.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    He does talk, though.

"Mamma mia"
    "Let's a' go!"
    The Phantom of the Bwahpera did have a point.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Arwing model for six bucks! Please buy it, Best Buy is starting to cry every time he sees it sitting on the shelf.

If people don't empty the shelves soon, Best Buy are going to start paying us to take it off them. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!