Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    ARGH I WANT THAT STUPID ARWING
    damn brazil

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Oof. That arwing is going to end up in the landfill next to ET.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    OK, OK Best Buy. Should I be getting this everyone? Is it actually worth it?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    OK, OK Best Buy. Should I be getting this everyone? Is it actually worth it?

It's charming and well-polished yet extremely boring. If, after an hour and a half, you're wondering "is this all there is to the game?" The answer is yes.

But the Arwing model is neat. It displays pretty nice on the black plastic controller contraption that comes with the game.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    You know, I really enjoyed Starlink, and have no regrets about paying full price for the digital edition when it came out. Then again, that came with a lot more weapons, ships and characters. In fact, the number of ships you own also strongly effects the difficulty of the game, as each one basically acts as an extra life. The characters too actually, as you can unlock global buffs when you level them up. And completing story quests levels them all up.

But you know what, fuck it. For $6, what's the worst that can happen? I'm tempted just for the Ar-Wing, and I already own it!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I bought it for $10 but haven't played it yet. As someone that loved other toys to life I will say the model with the pilot that fits underneath on the controller thing is really well done though.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I bought Trine 4, and the e-shop for some reason shows I own both the normal and deluxe edition that includes the first 3 games. But it wont let me download the deluxe. :sad:

I assume this is some sort of bug, but what a tease.

I finally ended up spending most of the rest of my balance.

Unravel 2 (I already had this on Xbox, but it's so good, and playing it on the plane with my daughter sounds like an excellent time waster).
    Jackbox Party Pack 2
    Golf Story
    Battle Chasers Nightwar
    AssCreed Rebel Collection (Have Xbox 360 Black Flag, never played Rogue.)
    Hard West (Have this on PC, but it's a fun bite sized strategy game. A sort of old-west XCom lite)

I find myself treating my Switch, in some ways, like my phone. I pick up games that I own on other platforms but don't make time to play at home, and then find downtime during commutes or lunches to actually get into them.

EDIT: My yearly roundup was also sadly low, but I have a feeling it's about to take a big jump now that my switch isn't The BotW Machine.

Cog on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Arlo bought all the Starlinks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5EK3KPAteU

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I just remembered I have a $5 Best Buy gift card. Well, for $2 I can justify the purchase did the toys alone. Lord knows I’ve spent more on games I’ve never even played. I’m looking at you Steam.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    So the BB gift card was for $15. Looks like I'm getting Star Fox for free this afternoon. :biggrin:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    So this is weirdly specific. If you're in tabletop mode with the joycons still attached, Golf Story won't recognize a pro controller. You have to detach the joycons.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Starlink is a really polished boring game. So so boring.

The Airwing model is pretty great though.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    So this is weirdly specific. If you're in tabletop mode with the joycons still attached, Golf Story won't recognize a pro controller. You have to detach the joycons.

I've had a game or two that made me back out once it loaded in order to "change grip" the controller I wanted to use.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So I've found a bad point with my snpro+ and it doesn't seem like it will wake up a sleeping switch so I still have to go over and wake it from my other controllers in their charging holder, then I can use it.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    So I've found a bad point with my snpro+ and it doesn't seem like it will wake up a sleeping switch so I still have to go over and wake it from my other controllers in their charging holder, then I can use it.

Another ghetto way is to lift the Switch briefly from out of the dock and then place it back in, then it'll pair, but yeah, not being able to wake it sucks.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular

That's the entire reason my SN30Pro is now a controller for my PC or my Pixel phone (works great for Stadia). It seems so minor but when all the other controllers can wake up the Switch I just don't use it.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I did a thing:

hB1v1vU.jpg

CKo9AIg.jpg

Only downside is the flip cover cant close on the lite with the covers on, at least not fully. Ah well, I anticipated this and I'm just going to use them temporarily and remove them when I'm done playing. They're easy enough to get on and off so I don't think they'll be too much of an issue.

couple more shots in the gallery

here's the amazon link if you want some.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Looks like "pick up game in store" really means "nah, we ain't got those". So no Star Fox for me. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Finished the Touryst 100% today. That was a fun little game.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Most 3rd party bluetooth controllers can't wake the Switch, just PowerA's enhanced wireless to my knowledge.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Starlink is a really polished boring game. So so boring.

The Airwing model is pretty great though.
    That game, like Battlefront 2, is the shining example of how designing game mechanics around monetisation can really harm the game, no matter how much some people go "oh I don't care about microtransactions, just don't pay for them".
    Because you can only get new gear from actual purchases there's no meaningful progression, the weapons and ships you start with are the weapons and ships you end with. You can buff them with the upgrade system, but that just affects numbers and nothing more.

I actually really enjoyed the core game, there was something pleasant about the "semi open world, zoom around on a hovercraft, blast stuff and fix shit, then hop to space for a bit" gameplay. The different worlds held a similar "let's see what this one looks like" appeal that NMS inspired.
    It's just that when hour 1 feels the same as hour 15, well, you have a problem.

Glal on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Yes Starlink has an appealing gameplay loop but it wears out when the dreadnaughts keep coming and all the big bosses are the same giant alien crab things. The the final content patch that added the Crimson Moon DLC introduced a new star difficulty level for enemies. Before enemies scale to the level of your highest level pilot, but when starred enemies start appearing they become massive damage sponges that shred though all your ships. Starred enemies killed any motivation for me to do post game stuff.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Three Houses is fun so far but I wish it was just the wandering around the school, finding lost items, assigning lesson plans, cooking, and fishing. Every time I get to one of the battles I remember oh right this is a tactics rpg. Then it takes an hour to get past that and back to the fun stuff.

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Grabbed the physical Arwing as a bonus Christmas gift for my 10yo son, and it turns out it won Christmas. He LOVES it and the game. Thing is he wants more. Any suggestions as to what to buy that’s actually useful? He really likes the look of the red one, whatever it’s called.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Arlo bought all the Starlinks

That dude is crazy. But then again par the course for a muppet.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I still wanted Starlink for the Arwing. Still it is the game Star Fox needs to be that open world flying

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Three Houses is fun so far but I wish it was just the wandering around the school, finding lost items, assigning lesson plans, cooking, and fishing. Every time I get to one of the battles I remember oh right this is a tactics rpg. Then it takes an hour to get past that and back to the fun stuff.

It is pretty fun to play your character's education and guide towards the Class you want them in with the Skills you want them to have.

And then you remember that, oh, yeah, these Classes are supposed to have different combat roles or something and aren't just some kind of intellectual exercise.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    What happens if you make a local account on a switch, generate save data, and then use that account to log into an already existing Nintendo ID with switch info already present?

• Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Assuming the existing account has Nintendo Online w/ Cloud backup data enabled?

You can go into the options screen for the game and decide which set of save data you want to use. Upload your current save to cloud? Download the older existing save? Don't bother with either and keep the saves separate? Sure, all works.
    There's also an Auto-backup option, which if you enable that on both switches will allow you to just keep playing the same save no matter which unit you're using without hassle.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    These Layton games keep getting harder and harder.

iXvBtTr.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

It is pretty fun to play your character's education and guide towards the Class you want them in with the Skills you want them to have.

And then you remember that, oh, yeah, these Classes are supposed to have different combat roles or something and aren't just some kind of intellectual exercise.

Unless you're on Maddening you can mostly just point units in the rough directions of "physical attacker" or "magic attacker" and not worry. One or two people who can bait are helpful but you're basically given someone on a silver platter for that on every route (except Silver Snow, sort of), and unless you're really pushing them out of their comfort zone they'll do great at that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Grabbed the physical Arwing as a bonus Christmas gift for my 10yo son, and it turns out it won Christmas. He LOVES it and the game. Thing is he wants more. Any suggestions as to what to buy that’s actually useful? He really likes the look of the red one, whatever it’s called.

I don't know what the most useful things are but I do know most everything is on sale at GameStop right now. The ships are $5 and the pilots and weapons are about half that.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Which of the Saga games is the best one?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I've been playing a ton of Black Future '88 even though I've gotten way more games from the sale since then. I really cannot overstate how I feel about it. It is the perfect Switch handheld game. Oh and did I mention it has daily challenges and local co-op? Because it has daily challenges and local co-op.. and leaderboards. Remember how I felt about Katana Zero? I feel the same way about this, it might even be better in certain respects since its an entirely different type of game.

Basically for the uninitiated it's a roguelike thats a cross between Metroid and Contra with a procedurally generated tower that you have to climb before your blood explodes (which I believe is 18 minutes IIRC). There are abilities you can pick up that either extend the time or reduce the time as a cost but generally it's around 18 minutes to get to the top. Each section of a tower also has a boss that is (sometimes) random. Bosses can also be made "rare" which sort of changes the encounter (mostly how hard they are) and will take you to a diff part of the tower than a normal encounter would. There's this thing called Skymelt (basically skynet) trying to prevent you from reaching the top of the tower and it will learn and adapt in an effort to stop you. Oh and it also upgrades itself with materials (think cash and health items) you leave behind or don't pick up in time. Everything you don't grab fills a bar and when the bar fills some part of Skymelt gets upgraded, it can be a bunch of diff nasty stuff (including "hunters" which are basically named enemies who come after you and appear at random places in the tower while you're trying to climb it) but I'll let you guys discover that for yourselves. There are also upgrades and "curses" you can obtain for yourself. Curses give you abilities but typically cost something in return, usually an upgrade to Skymelt. Just be warned its all procedurally generated and (somewhat) random and you can end up with crazy shit like this:

That's me fighting a rare version of a boss with a bunch of modifiers going off at the same time. It's not pretty, but it does make for some interesting gameplay.

I'm really only scratching the surface of this thing, there's so much more to it than what I've just described. Check it out when you get a chance.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Which of the Saga games is the best one?

What are you looking for, specifically? Are you into harder or easier games? How averse are you to using a guide?

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Yeah, I guess that might help. Harder is fine, and I don’t mind using a guide. I’m a beginner to the SaGa games but obviously not JRGPs in general.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    These Layton games keep getting harder and harder.

iXvBtTr.png

Professor Layton and the Convoluted Infrastructure

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    The answer is....

wtxfwdf3o2kj.gif

This service sucks!

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Eh it'd be a valid question for any system with a similar setup. It's not an issue on a platform like Steam because there's no owning games without owning an account. Nintendo wanted people to just be able to pop a game in and go, or create other user accounts for guests without being tied to any specific one.

I think Ark Evensong was right.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky