As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] of Holding

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    The woman next to me is singing along to the music on her headphones

Literally who thinks that’s ok

I am neurotic about making sure the sound from my headphones isn't audible when I'm wearing them

Imagine fucking singing along

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Poor little Blossom can't take the traumatic oppressive design of a WeWork space 😭

Same

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    don't need to worry about how to efficiently utilize office space if you just let everyone work from home
    or abol-

Working from home is good for some people but (worried glance at the Mom thread) also a lot of people meet important social needs through work and it definitely isn’t for everyone

My boss worked from home at amazon a couple decades ago (shit decades? oh god wasted youth) and he said he'd never work from home again long term because he started to go stir crazy from technically working with people but never interacting with them in person. Also it made his home feel too much like his work even when he wasn't working.

this is like how people can't stop thinking about work when they leave work

at 5:00 as I'm walking out the door I no longer devote any brain power, even in passing, to work

I literally will not think about it unless someone messages me or texts me from work

I don't either, but I do like the idea I drive to the office and drive home. Its a nice separation and lets me not have the danger of "they need me I have to work from home" since nope. My wife has to work from home and its miserable.

there's probably a large group of people that could handle it fine and wouldn't have an issue

and there's probably another large group of people where this drives them crazy

I don't think the solution is everyone working from home or everyone working in an office, but that we should afford both sets of people the ability to do either or.

Oh I totally don't think its universal. But for me I like the separation of work and home. Because for me I struggle to keep things out of their places.

I think of it like my work jeans for fastfood back in the day. At my fastfood job I could wear jeans because the job was cheap as hell and supplying pants along side shirts was a no go, so I had to specifically buy a pair of work jeans because I didn't want my regular fuck around jeans smelling like fastfood and reminding me of the job.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I get pretty much all of my social needs from outside my work hours. My 9 to 5 is exactly that, and it's pretty much interchangeable with other 9 to 5s out there (I mean, I wouldn't want to be a miner or a farmer or something, but...). I tried the whole "fulfillment through career" thing, and I nearly killed myself when it turned out that I hated it.

If I could work from home, I'd do it as often as possible. I'd get to hang out with my cat all day!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I sent my parents to Reims for my mum's sixtieth to do a champagne tour. They've been drinking since 9:30am. The messages they have been sending me have been getting pretty hard to extract any sense from.

So, solid present I guess.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I try to work from home but its all "no sammich what are you doing that press costs like 500k"

I thought you just did design.

Are you running a press?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

*raises hand* Me?

But certainly not at work.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I think if I worked from home the DEA would be mad for sure

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

*raises hand* Me?

I’m on a train!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

*raises hand* Me?

He's on the train. She's voice spreading.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    also this is the first time I've realized there's people who get claustrophobia vicariously

this is fascinating

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    also also

rAbWPmu.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a

I am neurotic about making sure the sound from my headphones isn't audible when I'm wearing them

yeah but EM I just took a DNA test and I'm 100%

that
    bitch

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

*raises hand* Me?

I’m on a train!
    You're in a public space. Sorry, but all bets are off. You better HOPE that the worst thing that happens is someone singing along to headphones. On BART, you have to worry about being groped or getting urinated on!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    working from home would leave me very weird and further on, mad as a hatter

I’ve been working from home this entire 3-4 month contract and I love it
    What will my cat do if I have to go back to the office for my next contract! Who will he attack when he’s bored ;_;

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

Oh believe me, her headphones are loud enough that I’m also listening to what she’s listening to

C-

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Rome total war is amazing on my iphone when I don't want to work. I wish more total war was on ios.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I try to work from home but its all "no sammich what are you doing that press costs like 500k"

I thought you just did design.

Are you running a press?

I have to consult with the press operators when something is fucky but I dont run the thing.

It made for a better joke than trying to take home the mac.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »

What will my cat do if I have to go back to the office for my next contract! Who will he attack when he’s bored ;_;
    You'd better buy a robot friend to keep him company. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't really care for working from home, I'd like it as an option for the super shitty winter days we have when we get 4 feet of snow in 2 hours right before I've got to get up for work.

But what I really would love more of is flex schedules. As long as I'm getting my hours a week and meeting reasonable deadlines I'd like to be able to work whatever hours. So if I wanted to work from noon to 8, that should be a thing that's more common here. I am absolutely not a morning person and from 7-11am I'm hardly doing work anyways because I'm just not fully awake yet.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    My goal in "working from home" would be to work while traveling.

I'd start riding the rails and see the world. Since you can do office work on a train.

I've done it. I have flown out on Thursday night, sat in a hotel or someone's house on a laptop Friday, taken Monday off, worked Tuesday and flown back Tuesday night. My wife has usually had more vacation time than me, so she will do something I'm not into (yard sale scavenger hunt with her extended family, for instance) while I work and then I kick in right from work to vacation with no travel between.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited September 2019

*raises hand* Me?

I’m on a train!
    You're in a public space. Sorry, but all bets are off. You better HOPE that the worst thing that happens is someone singing along to headphones. On BART, you have to worry about being groped or getting urinated on!

Once on BART everyone was crowding the car away from this vaguely homeless seeming guy who was sitting on the floor on the other end. And I was like this is classist and ableist so I sat down a few seats over from him. Then i started wondering why this guy was sort of wrestling with a canvas bag he had with him, and anyway turns out he brought a giant fucking snake on the train and it was trying to wriggle out

MrMister on
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I don't really care for working from home, I'd like it as an option for the super shitty winter days we have when we get 4 feet of snow in 2 hours right before I've got to get up for work.

But what I really would love more of is flex schedules. As long as I'm getting my hours a week and meeting reasonable deadlines I'd like to be able to work whatever hours. So if I wanted to work from noon to 8, that should be a thing that's more common here. I am absolutely not a morning person and from 7-11am I'm hardly doing work anyways because I'm just not fully awake yet.

I have a flexible-ish schedule

the problem is the deadlines are generally set such that I have to work 45 or so per week to get the work done

but I largely can come and go as I please. I generally prefer to be in the office tho. my home office has basically been overrun by porp.

Ed: i do have to log 6 hrs in a day (4 on fridays) or else use some pto

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

*raises hand* Me?

I’m on a train!

Once in BART everyone was crowding the car away from this vaguely homeless seeming guy who was sitting on the floor on the other end. And I was like this is classist and ableist so I sat down a few seats over from him. Then i started wondering why this guy was sort of wrestling with a canvas bag he had with his, and anyway turns out he brought a giant fucking snake on the train and it was trying to wriggle out

Hahahahahahahha holy shit

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    also also

rAbWPmu.jpg

That I would be fine with.

If I get into a space that is tight where I can't move my arms or legs freely, that shit drives me bananas.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I wonder if I'm too old to become a firefighter. Probably.

i say unto you those same things i said unto chanus: you know you might have to work for a living, right

are you ok with that frightening prospect

Wouldn't really do it for the money. Getting a pension wouldn't be awful though.

Maybe like a part time thing to do when I'm not doing my "real job," I don't know.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options

We have a semi-flex schedule, where you can come in from 8:30 to 10AM and then work your full 8 hours and then you're done. It's pretty great. Sometimes, it takes a while to get out of the house, and I don't have to worry about clocking in really late.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I mean is she singing like raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.....

Or like black metal?

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I mean is she singing like raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.....

Or like black metal?

It’s was poppy R&B I think? She seems done now. I guess we just had to make it through her major jams.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Prime reason to get a second cat

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I sometimes softly sing along to my music on the subway

Never at like, Hahnsoo mouth-wide-open volume tho

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

I forgive you only if it’s inaudible under the noise of the subway

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    1db1y9uhw6dz.png

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »

*raises hand* Me?

but on public transportation?

*starts sharpening knives*
    Yes on Metro you can be stabbed. Sharpened knives is good defense, because the only person who can stop a bad guy with a knife is a good guy with a knife.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I like a mix of work from home and being at an office. I find it easier collaborate with my team when at an office. Especially on complex issues or when I need a sounding board for my recent idea or where to go.

I am protective of my at least one telework day a week though because it is huge for my health and getting appointments and stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Rome total war is amazing on my iphone when I don't want to work. I wish more total war was on ios.

holy fucking what I can play a total war game on my phone?!

omg if I could run medieval 2 on my phone it's all over.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options

z0tbh3hrbc5h.jpg

Yeah... yeah...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Professional printing is weird because like sometimes youre doing all the yearbooks in the county and the next day youre making giant posters of some guy's vegetables he grew.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Prime reason to get a second cat

That isn’t something I’d consider at this point in time. In a year I might revisit it depending on my life circumstances and if Shevek chills out a bit as he gets older.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    1db1y9uhw6dz.png

You don't fuck with the J Cizzle. That's priesting school day 1

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.