As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Knight

• trillianjoytrillianjoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    man... Jack made Heath Ledgers death all about him really freaking fast...
    It was not the most sensitive statement, but I'd be disappointed if Jack was ever anything but ape-shite crazy.

trillianjoy on
    Home again, home again, jigitty-jig.
    http://joyfulinternets.blogspot.com/
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    Yeah, this is really depressing me, but here's some stuff Jack said about how he "warned" Heath about the role. I don't believe it, really.
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23100803-5015809,00.html

Yeah it looked like a load of "look at me look at me" to me.

Um... time for you guys to exercise your reading comprehension.

It is pretty clear Jack was saying he warned Heath about taking sleep meds, not about playing The Joker. Jack had a close call with sleep meds once.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    Yeah, this is really depressing me, but here's some stuff Jack said about how he "warned" Heath about the role. I don't believe it, really.
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23100803-5015809,00.html

Yeah it looked like a load of "look at me look at me" to me.

Um... time for you guys to exercise your reading comprehension.

It is pretty clear Jack was saying he warned Heath about taking sleep meds, not about playing The Joker. Jack had a close call with sleep meds once.

It helps if you actually read articles you post.

Snarfmaster on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Right... my issue was him launching into a story about the time he took Ambian... just... seemed kinda tacky...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anything can seem tasteless when taken out of context.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bringing it back to The Dark Knight, I've yet to seem this poster:
    n714230774_773274_4432.jpg
    Is it real?

Local H Jay on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Doesn't look genuine to me.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Looking at it again, the hair looks like the movie version of The Grinch.

Local H Jay on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Right... my issue was him launching into a story about the time he took Ambian... just... seemed kinda tacky...
    He's adding context to his statement and it's positive of him to put some weight into the perspective that the dude died from an accident and not suicide.

Hoz on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bringing it back to The Dark Knight, I've yet to seem this poster:
    n714230774_773274_4432.jpg
    Is it real?

Fake, along with the 'Man who laughs' one.

On a related note, UK peoples really ought to get Total Film this month as it has a pretty big poster of this...
    18876223.jpg

Mr Bubbles on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Most legendary posthumous role since The Crow, methinks.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    toxk_02 wrote: »

I really want to put him as the joker in the place of that in memoriam pic.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am batman!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fan made crap gets on my nerves, mainly because it spreads.

bychance on
  • IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

I really want to put him as the joker in the place of that in memoriam pic.

Man, it would be so wrong yet so funny, if the image was suddenly replaced with a picture of the joker, and having him laughing.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Christopher Nolan wrote a piece about Heath
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/105580
    Best known for his haunting, Oscar-nominated performance as Ennis Del Mar, one of the gay cowboys in 2005 ' s "Brokeback Mountain," Ledger was a massive young talent on the cusp of greatness when he died last week in New York. The native Australian, who is survived by his 2-year-old daughter, Matilda, had recently finished work on this summer's "Batman" sequel, "The Dark Knight," in which he plays a villain, the Joker. Christopher Nolan, the film's director, shared these memories:

One night, as I'm standing on LaSalle Street in Chicago, trying to line up a shot for "The Dark Knight," a production assistant skateboards into my line of sight. Silently, I curse the moment that Heath first skated onto our set in full character makeup. I'd fretted about the reaction of Batman fans to a skateboarding Joker, but the actual result was a proliferation of skateboards among the younger crew members. If you'd asked those kids why they had chosen to bring their boards to work, they would have answered honestly that they didn't know. That's real charisma—as invisible and natural as gravity. That's what Heath had.

Heath was bursting with creativity. It was in his every gesture. He once told me that he liked to wait between jobs until he was creatively hungry. Until he needed it again. He brought that attitude to our set every day. There aren't many actors who can make you feel ashamed of how often you complain about doing the best job in the world. Heath was one of them.

One time he and another actor were shooting a complex scene. We had two days to shoot it, and at the end of the first day, they'd really found something and Heath was worried that he might not have it if we stopped. He wanted to carry on and finish. It's tough to ask the crew to work late when we all know there's plenty of time to finish the next day. But everyone seemed to understand that Heath had something special and that we had to capture it before it disappeared. Months later, I learned that as Heath left the set that night, he quietly thanked each crew member for working late. Quietly. Not trying to make a point, just grateful for the chance to create that they'd given him.

Those nights on the streets of Chicago were filled with stunts. These can be boring times for an actor, but Heath was fascinated, eagerly accepting our invitation to ride in the camera car as we chased vehicles through movie traffic—not just for the thrill ride, but to be a part of it. Of everything. He'd brought his laptop along in the car, and we had a high-speed screening of two of his works-in-progress: short films he'd made that were exciting and haunting. Their exuberance made me feel jaded and leaden. I've never felt as old as I did watching Heath explore his talents. That night I made him an offer—knowing he wouldn't take me up on it—that he should feel free to come by the set when he had a night off so he could see what we were up to.

When you get into the edit suite after shooting a movie, you feel a responsibility to an actor who has trusted you, and Heath gave us everything. As we started my cut, I would wonder about each take we chose, each trim we made. I would visualize the screening where we'd have to show him the finished film—sitting three or four rows behind him, watching the movements of his head for clues to what he was thinking about what we'd done with all that he'd given us. Now that screening will never be real. I see him every day in my edit suite. I study his face, his voice. And I miss him terribly.

Back on LaSalle Street, I turn to my assistant director and I tell him to clear the skateboarding kid out of my line of sight when I realize—it's Heath, woolly hat pulled low over his eyes, here on his night off to take me up on my offer. I can't help but smile.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, I never thought about how hard it must be for the crew still working on finishing up the movie. They are literally working with one of their friends who just died.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Christopher Nolan wrote a piece about Heath
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/105580
    Best known for his haunting, Oscar-nominated performance as Ennis Del Mar, one of the gay cowboys in 2005 ' s "Brokeback Mountain," Ledger was a massive young talent on the cusp of greatness when he died last week in New York. The native Australian, who is survived by his 2-year-old daughter, Matilda, had recently finished work on this summer's "Batman" sequel, "The Dark Knight," in which he plays a villain, the Joker. Christopher Nolan, the film's director, shared these memories:

One night, as I'm standing on LaSalle Street in Chicago, trying to line up a shot for "The Dark Knight," a production assistant skateboards into my line of sight. Silently, I curse the moment that Heath first skated onto our set in full character makeup. I'd fretted about the reaction of Batman fans to a skateboarding Joker, but the actual result was a proliferation of skateboards among the younger crew members. If you'd asked those kids why they had chosen to bring their boards to work, they would have answered honestly that they didn't know. That's real charisma—as invisible and natural as gravity. That's what Heath had.

Heath was bursting with creativity. It was in his every gesture. He once told me that he liked to wait between jobs until he was creatively hungry. Until he needed it again. He brought that attitude to our set every day. There aren't many actors who can make you feel ashamed of how often you complain about doing the best job in the world. Heath was one of them.

One time he and another actor were shooting a complex scene. We had two days to shoot it, and at the end of the first day, they'd really found something and Heath was worried that he might not have it if we stopped. He wanted to carry on and finish. It's tough to ask the crew to work late when we all know there's plenty of time to finish the next day. But everyone seemed to understand that Heath had something special and that we had to capture it before it disappeared. Months later, I learned that as Heath left the set that night, he quietly thanked each crew member for working late. Quietly. Not trying to make a point, just grateful for the chance to create that they'd given him.

Those nights on the streets of Chicago were filled with stunts. These can be boring times for an actor, but Heath was fascinated, eagerly accepting our invitation to ride in the camera car as we chased vehicles through movie traffic—not just for the thrill ride, but to be a part of it. Of everything. He'd brought his laptop along in the car, and we had a high-speed screening of two of his works-in-progress: short films he'd made that were exciting and haunting. Their exuberance made me feel jaded and leaden. I've never felt as old as I did watching Heath explore his talents. That night I made him an offer—knowing he wouldn't take me up on it—that he should feel free to come by the set when he had a night off so he could see what we were up to.

When you get into the edit suite after shooting a movie, you feel a responsibility to an actor who has trusted you, and Heath gave us everything. As we started my cut, I would wonder about each take we chose, each trim we made. I would visualize the screening where we'd have to show him the finished film—sitting three or four rows behind him, watching the movements of his head for clues to what he was thinking about what we'd done with all that he'd given us. Now that screening will never be real. I see him every day in my edit suite. I study his face, his voice. And I miss him terribly.

Back on LaSalle Street, I turn to my assistant director and I tell him to clear the skateboarding kid out of my line of sight when I realize—it's Heath, woolly hat pulled low over his eyes, here on his night off to take me up on my offer. I can't help but smile.

Thanks for the link, but that was gut-wrenching.

langfor6 on
  • whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah that article is a fucking tear jerker. Damn you, Chris Nolan.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Don't know how I missed this earlier but... yeah. That's some powerful shit. I can't imagine having to edit this thing right now.

Satan. on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If that makes the movie longer I am 100% fine with that.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    bychance wrote: »
    Fan made crap gets on my nerves, mainly because it spreads.

Yeah, I was watching some coverage on Ledger's death on some 24 hour news station and they left this fan made promo poster up on the screen for a good 10 minutes and acted like it was the real thing. They even quoted the fake tagline.

dark_knight_onesheet.jpg

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In their defense, it is a pretty good fan poster.

Also, that Nolan quote is really, really sad.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, that article kicked me in the guts. Its kinda strange cos when he'd come back to Perth he'd stay at his mum's house which is just around the corner from where I live. You'd see him skateboarding down to the river, or him and Michelle pushing their kid down to the shops.

It's hit me kind of hard cos I was really pysched to see him as the Joker, and to have this weird voyeuristic relation to his life. We even went to the same primary school but then he was just some other older kid. Its weird, really weird.

aquabat on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    aquabat wrote: »
    Man, that article kicked me in the guts. Its kinda strange cos when he'd come back to Perth he'd stay at his mum's house which is just around the corner from where I live. You'd see him skateboarding down to the river, or him and Michelle pushing their kid down to the shops.

It's hit me kind of hard cos I was really pysched to see him as the Joker, and to have this weird voyeuristic relation to his life. We even went to the same primary school but then he was just some other older kid. Its weird, really weird.

I remembered you or nameless saying you knew him/ knew of him growing up. I was wondering how this hit you, glad you posted.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I guess one good thing is that the role as the Joker could make him infamous which isn't a bad thing for a final role. Better than the imaginarium one anyway. People still refer to Brandon Lee many years on.

It will be weird watching the final product however. He looks amazing in the trailer and knowing he could be in t he third made it all the more amazing.

DarkWarrior on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So as much as I don't want to trivialize Ledger's passing, and what a sadness it is... whither goest the new Batman franchise?

Are they going to recast the Joker, or simply not have him appear in the next movie?

I personally think it would be a shame to alter what's been shaping up to be a hell of a trilogy because of Heath Ledger's passing. I don't think he would have wanted that. He took his acting seriously, and knew, in the end, that the show must go on.

I say recast the Joker- hell, play up the difference even. Don't change the role itself, but let another actor come and put their stamp on it. It lends itself to a conception of the Joker as something more vast, and perhaps more terrifying, than a single man.

And wouldn't seeing a different face sport the white skin and red lips be a kind of meta-argument for the Joker's position that, "Every person is just one bad day from turning out like me"?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    it's hard to talk about without knowing how this film ends, but I'd be fine with him not being in the third movie. you're going to have two-face, and I don't mind at all having him be the main guy. you can't have two main guys, and you can't have the joker play second fiddle, so it's a tough call.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    if they really wanted to, they could just put the joker through another incident causing facial disfigurement and that would be why he doesnt look the same anymore.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    if they really wanted to, they could just put the joker through another incident causing facial disfigurement and that would be why he doesnt look the same anymore.
    Like, say... falling into a vat of chemicals at a paint factory?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Harrier wrote: »
    So as much as I don't want to trivialize Ledger's passing, and what a sadness it is... whither goest the new Batman franchise?

Are they going to recast the Joker, or simply not have him appear in the next movie?

I personally think it would be a shame to alter what's been shaping up to be a hell of a trilogy because of Heath Ledger's passing. I don't think he would have wanted that. He took his acting seriously, and knew, in the end, that the show must go on.

I say recast the Joker- hell, play up the difference even. Don't change the role itself, but let another actor come and put their stamp on it. It lends itself to a conception of the Joker as something more vast, and perhaps more terrifying, than a single man.

And wouldn't seeing a different face sport the white skin and red lips be a kind of meta-argument for the Joker's position that, "Every person is just one bad day from turning out like me"?
    I think somebody mentioned an actor who looks rather similar to Heath. I can't remember his name but he was the main duder in that movie The Lookout.

Clint Eastwood on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2008
    Here is the actor, and a photoshop I did earlier.
    syndalis wrote: »
    I will probably be an ass for doing this at this point, but I had to see if Joseph could look appropriately like the joker.

I'll spoiler the images JIC folks don't want to see it right now.

Before:
    cover_story-1.jpg

After:
    newjoker.jpg

All relevant facial features have been brought to the surface. The hair sucks, but it gets the point across.

I think he would be a great replacement if the Joker needs to be in later films.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Recasting could work. I mean, they recast the role of Jennifer between Back to the Future 1 and Back to the Future 2&3, to a new actress that looked exactly nothing like the first one, and most people never even noticed. They also recast George McFly, put prosthetics on the new actor and taught him to act like the first one, and spliced the film with shots of the original, and it came out so well people thought they were looking at the original guy.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The also recast Racheal Dawes with no reference to it, I think although the Joker is much more iconic it would be possible, hell they came <this> close to casting Jake Gyllenhall in Spidey 3 did they not?

Venkman90 on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    The also recast Racheal Dawes with no reference to it, I think although the Joker is much more iconic it would be possible, hell they came <this> close to casting Jake Gyllenhall in Spidey 3 did they not?
    They recast Katie Holmes? So that's why Maggie Gyllenhall is suddenly in the trailer. While Katie wasn't electrifying in the role, that's a bit odd. As long as they don't make a habit of this, I guess.

I really don't see them recasting Heath. Just reading what Nolan wrote about editing the film, I can't imagine what it would be like for him (and other crew members) to shoot the next one with someone else. They might find someone to do bit parts (someone mentioned earlier that Cillian Murphy was spotted in some production shots) but I just don't see a new new Joker.

Satan. on
  • Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

that was childish and stupid
    but I still laughed...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    It depends how personal they make the relationship between Joker and Batman. In the third he could simply appear in the shadows of an Arkham Cell as Batman comes to check he's still there and the city is safe from his brand of chaos.

DarkWarrior on
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is it better to cast someone who is like Heath Ledger to do an impression or to get someone who will put thier own stamp on it, even though it might mess up the planned narrative a bit?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
This discussion has been closed.