As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There are other [podcasts] than Giant Bomb

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I've had to field questions on my feelings on chemtrails on a panel at a documentary showing.

They all can go straight to hell

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I've had to field questions on my feelings on chemtrails on a panel at a documentary showing.

They all can go straight to hell

"They rule, love chemicals, put em in me"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    The point I fell off the mcelroys was when I went to one of their live shows and realized that positioning themselves as good people with an advice podcast was a mistake. This was when they weren’t screening questions yet.

During this show, there was an nb teen (I think they had just graduated high school) who had recently decided to enter into a poly relationship, and they were asking how best to tell their family, who if I recall was conservative and would likely not approve. And of course the brothers squirmed a little bit and told them that they were strong and they should live their life the way they want and so on. But here’s this kid genuinely looking for help pouring their heart out to these three dudes who absolutely are not in a position to give this advice.

It became a lot harder to listen to their stuff frequently after that.

Oofa doofa, this is a rough one

Their entire schtick is that they give bad advice that people shouldn't take

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I used to do a regular thing that had audience Q&A and it was the most hellish thing to endure every time. Like often there were people with really solid and interesting questions that brought the conversation along to interesting places but I knew that every so often I would have to hear someone just be the biggest asshole and then get on mic and tell them off and calm the audience and it always kept me tense.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The Shutdown Fullcast got accosted by a steadfast ACC Defender during the Charlotte live show and it was amazing

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    The MBMBaM live episodes certainly got infinitely more listenable after they started screening questions, because the open mic thing wasn't even all that great before TAZ accidentally became the new Homestuck.

I love TAZ and all, but that is a bold claim.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    The MBMBaM live episodes certainly got infinitely more listenable after they started screening questions, because the open mic thing wasn't even all that great before TAZ accidentally became the new Homestuck.

I love TAZ and all, but that is a bold claim.

Its not a crazy comparison

Its a podcast that turned into a multimedia empire (games, comics, sourcebooks) based in large part on fan interaction

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah TAZ is pretty huge

They are selling the graphic novels at fuckin' Target

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    And you still see Taako's and Anguses at cons

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    One of the things that turned me off the TAZ fandom (besides, you know, not really being into fandoms as A Thing in general) was the weird steadfast insistence on canonicity in character appearances

I know this isn't specific to TAZ but seeing the discourse around folks screaming at each other online for portraying Taako as... like, blue and not green, was weird

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    One of the things that turned me off the TAZ fandom (besides, you know, not really being into fandoms as A Thing in general) was the weird steadfast insistence on canonicity in character appearances

I know this isn't specific to TAZ but seeing the discourse around folks screaming at each other online for portraying Taako as... like, blue and not green, was weird

Yyyyyyeah and the bros didn't really do a good job with it

They simultaneously said all visual interpretations are valid but then went with pretty much exactly the popular representations for the comic

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I fell off TAZ and will go back eventually, as I fell off MBMBaM and will go back eventually. It's a mood thing, and when I do go back I'm sure I'll enjoy it

About half of the queer folks I know love the brothers, and the other half (mostly here) are exasperated at best. I agree with Speed that I don't think they're hearing criticism as well anymore now that they're surrounded by a significantly large crowd that loves them, but I also don't think they're unwilling to hear it, it's just drowned out

And I do find Travis irritating and performative, but I find a few people irritating and performative and I still consider them fundamentally good people, so y'know

These have been my Brother Opinions

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Also I'll probably have to subscribe to the We Hate Movies patreon sometime this month to get the full Spooktacular experience, because this is my favorite time of year for that podcast

The Gleep Glossary and the Nexus are both very good content, but more than Star Wars or Star Trek, I just naturally associate those dudes with horror movies

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Yeah I don't think Travis is inherently a bad person but he needs to take it down, like, eighty percent

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Would the McElroys rehabilitate Trump in the same manner that Ellen is rehabilitating Bush

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular

They simultaneously said all visual interpretations are valid but then went with pretty much exactly the popular representations for the comic

...green? I feel like all the TAZ fanart the algorithm (wrongly) things I want to see is dark skinned taako.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    WheatBun01 wrote: »

...green? I feel like all the TAZ fanart the algorithm (wrongly) things I want to see is dark skinned taako.

Taako is usually green

Merle is tan

Angus is dark skinned

edit:

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Would the McElroys rehabilitate Trump in the same manner that Ellen is rehabilitating Bush

go away

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    It's a bad joke but there was a very uncomfortable in hindsight portion of the Monster Factory: Second Life, Second Chances bit where they visited a pro-Trump Second Life island and put on Trump merch.

That was pretty jarring, going back and rewatching the Monster Factory archive.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    everyone knows that liberals rehabilitated bush ages ago

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    It's a bad joke but there was a very uncomfortable in hindsight portion of the Monster Factory: Second Life, Second Chances bit where they visited a pro-Trump Second Life island and put on Trump merch.

That was pretty jarring, going back and rewatching the Monster Factory archive.

Jesus Christ was that really that long ago

sig.gif
  • Options

go away
    I'm good, thanks

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Also I'll probably have to subscribe to the We Hate Movies patreon sometime this month to get the full Spooktacular experience, because this is my favorite time of year for that podcast

The Gleep Glossary and the Nexus are both very good content, but more than Star Wars or Star Trek, I just naturally associate those dudes with horror movies

I really hope we never find a reason to hate We Hate Movies, I enjoy their work.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

I really hope we never find a reason to hate We Hate Movies, I enjoy their work.

There was a whole kerfuffle with Eric where he went after people unfairly for wishing they'd stop the trump impression

but he apologized and it was cool

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Oh, so we're cancelling George W. Bush now?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Podcats thread, please tell me about Reply All. Who is on it? Is it good? Do they pass the bare minimum of not making "punching down" jokes?

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Podcats thread, please tell me about Reply All. Who is on it? Is it good? Do they pass the bare minimum of not making "punching down" jokes?

Reply All is hosted by Alex Goldman and PJ Vogt who are two former NPR people

it is very good, and generally never punches down

listen to Long Distance part one and part two

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I’m not gonna say it’s not NOT in my mind whenever I think about resubscribing to their Patreon that one of them called me a Trump supporter for having the nerve to not like his bad impression in multiple places

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I’m not gonna say it’s not NOT in my mind whenever I think about resubscribing to their Patreon that one of them called me a Trump supporter for having the nerve to not like his bad impression in multiple places

this is still maybe the weirdest thing thats happened while I've been on the forums

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    This whole GWB thing is really weird. He is a garbage president but Im hearing that some people think that he is a worse President than Trump and I can't imagine by what metric they could be basing that off of. Trump is happy to push farther on every deplorable thing that GWB did and also he started concentration camps.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    This whole GWB thing is really weird. He is a garbage president but Im hearing that some people think that he is a worse President than Trump and I can't imagine by what metric they could be basing that off of. Trump is happy to push farther on every deplorable thing that GWB did and also he started concentration camps.

GWB contributed to the deaths of a LOT of people. A LOT. By lying about the cause of the Iraq war.

I'm not really interested in a "who's worse", but people seem to forget that he's essentially a war criminal now that he's not literally doing the thing right now

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Most "Trump is less bad than X" situations are primarily based off of foreign policy. I don't know what the actual numbers are but the general impression is that it's very much a "thank god he hasn't started any wars". He's still bad and a murderer, but the impression for those people is that it's on a smaller scale than the previous Republicans, owing entirely to the whole active war thing.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Bush is directly responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths in the Middle East

Trump hasn’t quite matched that yet

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Mostly it's pushback from other attempts to rehabilitate his image. Honestly trying to someone quantify awfulness and compare it to others seems like a waste of time.

• Options
    Yeah it really doesn't need to be a contest to still say that Bush is a war criminal and a mass-murdering monster.

Trump is also those things!

sig.gif
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

GWB killed a LOT of people. A LOT. By lying about the cause of the Iraq war.

I'm not really interested in a "who's worse", but people seem to forget that he's essentially a war criminal now that he's not literally doing the thing right now

He did and I certainly don't want to downplay that but Trump is doing his best at a fascist takeover of the US and is plunging the world into chaos in a way that will not be fully felt for like ten years.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I separate them into “very bad president and person” and “also very bad president and person”

• Options

GWB killed a LOT of people. A LOT. By lying about the cause of the Iraq war.

He did and I certainly don't want to downplay that but Trump is doing his best at a fascist takeover of the US and is plunging the world into chaos in a way that will not be fully felt for like ten years.

while that's true i think it's also the case that basically every republican president has done that

it's just that it's been more subtle because they're not a raging manchild who blurts out his dick

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Again, it's not a contest

but it could be argued that literally every President has been chipping in to turn the world towards fascism

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Trump administration is also stacking the federal courts with some pretty heinous judges, so the damage from his presidency probably won't be as immediately visible as with something like the Iraq War

Though I don't remember enough about the Bush admin re: court stacking beyond the Supreme Court

c9PXgFo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.