As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv_3eQ1i9uU
    I was curious how they did it but this is an odd video using both classic and contrast

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    The iron warriors base paint is really nice.

mukMysS.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Warpig on the warpath!
    warpig01_turn.gif
    warpig01.jpg

website_header.jpg
    That was quick

McGibs wrote: »
    Warpig on the warpath!
    warpig01_turn.gif
    warpig01.jpg

How do you make gifs like that?

I got some paint work done. The castellan is pretty much done as far as the basic paint job is concerned. Next is adding all the details I was considering and figuring out which transfers from the transfer sheets I want to use. Also gotta get the base done.

I also enjoy painting parchment and stuff like that for some reason and I'm not sure why.
    7hv1v208a50e.jpg
    ul0o1sd7dpxh.jpg
    12wntkzwytd3.jpg
    6f6i3po791tt.jpg

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• W2W2 Registered User regular
    4drdkag6xjhe.jpg

Found some time over the weekend to work on some Gaslands conversions - this is fun.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    How do you make gifs like that?

I have a cheap lazy-suzan to spin the model (sectioned into 17 directions), then a little phone tripod so the camera doesnt move at all between the images. Get all the images and load them into photoshop via the load images into stack script, then use the timeline tool to animate the gif.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    W2 wrote: »
    Found some time over the weekend to work on some Gaslands conversions - this is fun.

To me, Gaslands is "That game I really wish I had time to check out, because it looks like a ton of fun to play, and also to convert cars for, but I don't even have time to play all of the game systems I am currently invested in, so I can't really justify spending time and money on an entirely new one".

W2 wrote: »

To me, Gaslands is "That game I really wish I had time to check out, because it looks like a ton of fun to play, and also to convert cars for, but I don't even have time to play all of the game systems I am currently invested in, so I can't really justify spending time and money on an entirely new one".

Well there is a healthy market for hot wheels here but I feel I can just find one walking around and convert
    But I had got a peterbuilt model to convert into a mad max style just I ran into how? as I know you can just wing it and it will still look cool

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I just want to say I picked up on Gaslands a few months ago, got the Refuelled book on launch, and have an Ice Cream truck on my bench waiting to get bashed.

That is to say, I am Here. For. It.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    ChQBAo0.jpg
    Blackstone Fortress has been a blast to paint

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So I painted up a couple of test minis from my Ossiarchs basically to completion, obviously I might tweak some things or swap out some colors, but overall I'd like some opinions on which of the two people generally like better. I'm not sure which I like more overall.

eTErWdll.jpg
    3Tqi8qBl.jpg
    Ky6auAal.png
    9d1T9hxl.png

@Lord_Asmodeus this is admittedly kind of dumb on my part, but seeing your red and white test skelemen together makes me think of Castlevania.
    h30qio8cgzdb.gif7xkby2m83nxp.gif

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited November 2019
    My castellan is basically ready to have the armor plates glued in but I keep hesitating because I keep thinking about whether I will add more details or not to them. It is very frustrating.

Apparently my phone can make gifs.

Stragint on

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    xwvW50nl.png

• 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Hi friends.

For some damn reason, I've decided to learn to paint yellow. I also decided to try it on a space marine. I haven't painted one of those in a hot minute. It's been many years. Here's my results so far.

prdmr0wk1dc6.jpg
    c5g48dgx6wzp.jpg
    26rcgasqjsr5.jpg
    9our5cj5n2gc.jpg
    jtdmkm2ax5x0.jpg

Lessons learned so far. Yellow is fucking hard. Every mistake you make is highlighted x10, so screwing up is painful. The actual easy part is painting yellow - it's everything else that screws me up.

Also, for anyone curious, I did a Army Painter array with some GW paints for my yellow. Primed black, pre-highlighted with Grey Seer. Then did a 50/50 Phoenix Flame (Army Painter) with some Skrag Brown (GW) for my first coat. Then pure Phoenix Flame > Demonic Yellow > Babe Blonde, and for the hell of it, Yriel Yellow in progressively zenithal highlights. I washed it 50/50 with Mr. Hobby Stained Brown/Multi Black. Highlights were Moon Dust (AP) and Mummy Robes (AP). I glazed it back down with Demonic Yellow.

So far, it's a mixed bag. I don't think I want neon yellow Imperial Fists. The oil wash really grunges it up. Subtractive highlights are doable with my Mr. Hobby 110 solvent, but you can't remove it completely - the tonal shift is very noticeable. Also, I should have glazed with my top coat, Yriel Yellow, rather than my midtone. I worry that the highlights will be too pastel.

Also, Jesus, my highlighting sucks. I have painted anything Space Marine in so long, I've forgotten how to paint clean lines on the model. Hnng.

I started working on the base for my castellan. It is going to match the two helverins.

The base at the point it is currently at really makes me want to do an entire monochromatic board.
    kfiw6uhi6exx.jpeg

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I started working on the base for my castellan. It is going to match the two helverins.

The base at the point it is currently at really makes me want to do an entire monochromatic board.
    kfiw6uhi6exx.jpeg

Kind of looks like water washing away volcanic ash.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

kfiw6uhi6exx.jpeg

Which would look nasty

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Anyone here have experience with GSW colorshift paints? Any tips or tricks for the undercoat or anything else?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited November 2019
    Khraul wrote: »
    Anyone here have experience with GSW colorshift paints? Any tips or tricks for the undercoat or anything else?

I do! I have the first two GSW colorshift paint sets which covers about 66% of their GSW paints. I haven't bought the third one yet. I also don't have the holographic one. Also, pictures don't really capture the colorshift nature very well.

Edit: I think I'm gonna finally finish all these T'au models after I finish my Imperial Knights. I've had them sitting around for months now. I did hit them all with a gloss wash since pin washing wasn't really working how I wanted. I'm gonna hit the cloth on all of them with with grey seer base paint and then use black templar contrast. No idea what else I can do.

D7K85TB.jpg

The biggest difference for the GSW colorshift paint is to use a gloss black primer. It comes out really well. It is also recommended on the site to use a gloss black primer.

About 4 to 6 thin layers of the paint gets a really good and strong result with an airbrush. Haven't tried brushing it on.

If you have a particular interest in any of the paints from the first two sets and haven't bought them yet I can paint up a spoon in the color so you can get an idea of how it looks.

Stragint on

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I did some nighthaunt where the ghostly bits are colorshift blue/purple. It works best on black/black primer, and gloss works a lot better than flat. It takes a lot of coats sometimes to get any effect otherwise, it basically only works on blacks and metallic. On metalics it can look a lot like a glaze. edit: I used a brush only, on gloss black primer, I only needed like 1 coat for full effect. On flat primer/black paint, 2 coats definitely did the job.

It is really hard for it to show up in pictures, it looks 10x better in person, but I think this image shows it off pretty well:
    V5S5m0g.jpg?1

Here's a gallery to the rest of the force.

I think I am going to try the blue/green shift one on silver next for my ogors.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    Assuming I've got some stuff already primed that I want to paint, what's a good alternative for a gloss black? Black paint with gloss varnish?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »
    Assuming I've got some stuff already primed that I want to paint, what's a good alternative for a gloss black? Black paint with gloss varnish?

Yea, doing a gloss varnish over the black should be totally fine.

Excellent

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited November 2019
    Just about done with the castellan base. Just need to glue the castellan to the base and cover it in crackle paint.

lvxeb1in6svj.jpeg

kfiw6uhi6exx.jpeg

That could be a really cool table setup. I might start planning something.

Thank you!

Stragint on

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    They get along like a house on fire.

He's an orc with a chainsaw and he's a tree with an attitude.

Together they dissolve cages.

plpxokgdn75d.jpg
    le5nz5hkmnoo.jpg

I was wrecking my brain about maybe sculpting a helmet for the tree or something but the newborn is having her first growth spurt and the Freeman is probably fine as is. Eh. On to painting, hopefully.

honovere on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Did you sculpt 90% of an orc, or make an exceptionally good cast? I'm legit amazed either way.

• W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    That orc body is from Blood Bowl and it comes in green plastic, I think?

W2 on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I was going to say, I couldn't tell if thats greenstuff or painted green....

steam_sig.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Oh, yeah, that's just coloured plastic. I only sculpted a new strap on the chest, 2 on the back and filled some gaps on him.

Pretty much done with the major stuff on the castellan. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to add the skull and then add all the detail stuff I wanted to put on.
    88371enx9ll5.jpeg
    b6m38f0p8ukf.jpeg
    qqlrljqzqajm.jpeg
    skfc7jccsb11.jpeg

• 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Pretty much done with the major stuff on the castellan. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to add the skull and then add all the detail stuff I wanted to put on.
    88371enx9ll5.jpeg
    b6m38f0p8ukf.jpeg
    qqlrljqzqajm.jpeg
    skfc7jccsb11.jpeg

That base really completes the model. Looks awesome man. I want to learn your secrets of water.

edited November 2019
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    88371enx9ll5.jpeg
    b6m38f0p8ukf.jpeg
    qqlrljqzqajm.jpeg
    skfc7jccsb11.jpeg

That base really completes the model. Looks awesome man. I want to learn your secrets of water.

All I did was paint a water looking color over white primer and then slopped on some clear crackle paint. Afterwards I dry brushed white, focusing heavier dry brushing in a specific direction.

For the water color I mixed temple Guard blue and hoeth blue and made a wash with them to paint over the white.

This is the crackle paint by the way:
    Ranger TDC31888 Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint 4 oz Jar, Clear Rock Candy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FY5HCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qMz1Db27ZKZ64

Stragint on

edited November 2019
    Did a test fit for the skull. Not super psyched that the meltas can't be seen.
    cfh8twrik7u8.jpeg

I took another with the LED diode on. I feel like I either need to put 2 in there or get a brighter LED.
    pqpyw44pnqrw.jpeg

Stragint on

edited November 2019
    It's a shame about the melta fit, because it looks super cool with the skull.

And yeah, I'd say you should probably try to squeeze in a second diode.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    It's a shame about the melta fit, because it looks super cool.

And yeah, I'd say you should probably try to squeeze in a second diode.

Yea, I really like the meltas. They can be seen from the side no problem at least. Still a bummer.

I started widening the hole in the head to fit a second diode. Accidentally went right through the spot between the eyes. Gonna use the castellan face mask thing now.

I also need to buy more 2032 batteries, apparently the battery pack I'm using with 2 batteries can't effectively power two diodes.

I might put the skull some where else now that I'm using the face mask for the castellan. I wanted to put the head in the skull like it was wearing it but it didn't fit and the spot I did a test fit for feels awkward. I think I'll move it up to that open part in the middle of the carapace just above the head.

I might put the skull some where else now that I'm using the face mask for the castellan. I wanted to put the head in the skull like it was wearing it but it didn't fit and the spot I did a test fit for feels awkward. I think I'll move it up to that open part in the middle of the carapace just above the head.

Sounds like that'd be cool too.

camo_sig2-400.png
    edited November 2019
    I did some test fits to see what looks best. Neither look too bad so I'm kind of torn.
    i29u6tkn76eu.jpeg
    40jcbeduh0h8.jpeg
    thedw739o6px.jpeg

I'm kind of feeling the mask.
    lmxujwt8nd1f.jpeg

Stragint on

• WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    Ooooh, yeah. I like the mask with the skull on top.