As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I have an old batch of orks from when I first got into warhammer 40k back in early high school; several of them are unsalvageable because of my early attempts at conversions, so I use them to test color schemes. Really if you have any old toy lying around that should have been thrown away anyway, they're good for figuring out techniques, I've found.

In other news, photos of my completed Norse Blood Bowl Team, the Norscan Wild Princes! Even though I live in MN and these are the Norse, I didn't want to do the obvious thing and literally just make them the Vikings, because I've seen too much of that... but I also still wanted to do it, so I settled on mashing up the color scheme of the Minnesota Wild hockey team with the Vikings. I thought that maybe it would be a bit busy, but that I could pull it off. As it turned out trying to find a balance between the four colors of purple, green, red, and gold was kind of a pain in the ass, and the Blood Reavers that I used as base models alternate a lot between small patches of skin, cloth, fur, and metal, and it was just tedious and awful. Ultimately, though, I got into a groove near the end and I think they turned out nicely, and I'm still pretty happy with the sculpting work I did to customize the Yeti (although I still have a long way to go there before I'll get where I want to be).

b5vg2gi6lvbb.jpg
    a4y2pyh32zvl.jpg
    4kvye6blo3n5.jpg
    v3995v5qogku.jpg

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Battle Droids are easy to paint!
    z0hei4o4ls8p.jpg

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Roger Roger!

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I have an old batch of orks from when I first got into warhammer 40k back in early high school; several of them are unsalvageable because of my early attempts at conversions, so I use them to test color schemes. Really if you have any old toy lying around that should have been thrown away anyway, they're good for figuring out techniques, I've found.
    In other news, photos of my completed Norse Blood Bowl Team, the Norscan Wild Princes! Even though I live in MN and these are the Norse, I didn't want to do the obvious thing and literally just make them the Vikings, because I've seen too much of that... but I also still wanted to do it, so I settled on mashing up the color scheme of the Minnesota Wild hockey team with the Vikings. I thought that maybe it would be a bit busy, but that I could pull it off. As it turned out trying to find a balance between the four colors of purple, green, red, and gold was kind of a pain in the ass, and the Blood Reavers that I used as base models alternate a lot between small patches of skin, cloth, fur, and metal, and it was just tedious and awful. Ultimately, though, I got into a groove near the end and I think they turned out nicely, and I'm still pretty happy with the sculpting work I did to customize the Yeti (although I still have a long way to go there before I'll get where I want to be).

b5vg2gi6lvbb.jpg
    a4y2pyh32zvl.jpg
    4kvye6blo3n5.jpg
    v3995v5qogku.jpg

I have a bunch of broken necron warriors I can try it on, see how it comes out.

Thank you!

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So that video by Marco Frisoni that Hermano linked a couple of pages back led to me watching a bit more of his stuff and I really like it a lot. He's got a 5 hour speed paint video that kinda hit home today (video spoilered below) where he comments about using references and says "Never never use another miniature as a reference. The result will always be a lesser version of a toy, aim for something better and the result will be better".

He's speaking directly about speed painting, but it kinda hit home with how I've painted since getting back into the hobby. I'm always agonizing over getting as close to GW's reference stuff as possible and getting frustrated when I can't match a color or blend or whatever.

SO... after messing around with oils on that test FEC ghoul I figured I'd just bust out the airbrush and my new oil paints and go ham on some minis tonight.

I ended up painting a trio of FEC Crypt Flayers in about two and a half hours. They probably need a highlight or two still, as well as basing, but I'm super happy with the result and it was a lot more fun to paint than my usual routine. With my normal routine I wouldn't have gotten one done in that amount of time... I might not have even settled on a paint scheme :lol: Being limited to 8 colors of oil paint plus my whole arsenal of other stuff to highlight with made it super easy to knock these out.

9jn8tn186kri.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    Man, you got those three done in two and a half hours? Good for you! Jeeminy, nicely done.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Yeah, it was really quick and easy.

Basically just smear with oil washes (red, black, mauve and sienna), drag off the excess on the body/head with a qtip dipped in spirits, airbrush highlight from above with some screaming skull, airbrush a bit of Vallejo gore red on the wings to smooth them out a bit, then add some blood technical to their faces. That's about it.

There's a bit of overspray in spots that I could tidy up, but I'll probably just base them and leave them as is.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Primed the wooden parts of my warcry starter terrain. Forgot to grab my face mask so I put my shirt over my nose. Really gotta stop forgetting my face mask and being too lazy to grab it. Figured the priming would be fast.

Either way, gonna hit some of the wooden parts with a brush to clean stuff up and then I'm masking the wood off and going to town with the base color.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Oh god after my Tau the notion of painting that many white storm troopers gives me shivers
    5 hour speed paint
    God I love this hobby

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I'm digging the terrain so far.
    xuy7w3acxo51.jpeg
    rtrwf2idq3vj.jpeg

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does anyone test paint schemes on things that aren't models? I want to test a paint scheme for this terrain but I don't want to paint a piece of the terrain already because they are big and clunky and there is no fucking way I'm gonna be able to clean it off.

I'm not really sure what I can test it on. Mostly I want to see if the army painter goblin green base with a mechanicus standard grey zenithal will look good.

This might help if you don't want to actually use paint on something. (GIMP/image manipulation tutorial for testing color schemes)

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    What would be a good color to dry brush onto the terrain? I kind of want to enhance the green so I was thinking of dry brushing warpstone green or moot green but I feel like that might mess up the grey.
    Does anyone test paint schemes on things that aren't models? I want to test a paint scheme for this terrain but I don't want to paint a piece of the terrain already because they are big and clunky and there is no fucking way I'm gonna be able to clean it off.

I'm not really sure what I can test it on. Mostly I want to see if the army painter goblin green base with a mechanicus standard grey zenithal will look good.

This might help if you don't want to actually use paint on something. (GIMP/image manipulation tutorial for testing color schemes)

The link isn't work.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    What would be a good color to dry brush onto the terrain? I kind of want to enhance the green so I was thinking of dry brushing warpstone green or moot green but I feel like that might mess up the grey.

The link isn't work.

It’s missing a colon: https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Using_GIMP_to_experiment_with_colour_schemes

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

The link isn't work.

Here, fixed the link.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So painted for a bit tonight. I am still trying to figure out a color pallet for my Ad Mech.

First we New Ad Mech aka blue.
    hI4fK74l.jpg
    1ucSuejl.jpg
    EGSIFeXl.jpg
    P3Ixl3ml.jpg

Or Ad Mech Classic aka red
    16UsTLil.jpg
    q9SyUUCl.jpg
    VLMg8KXl.jpg
    qvOTlJgl.jpg

Neither are fast because of the crazy ass detail levels.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I like the red personally

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    Aaaand, I like the blue
    Go!

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I dunno. I'm partial to the red, but that blue looks really sharp, and it deserves bonus points because it's an uncommon choice for the army.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    tybfh4dztn8s.jpg
    What about black and red?

I just finished these a few days ago, wanted to show them off :)

Renzo on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Nice. I tried stygies earlier but didn't like it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I know some people here really hate painting yellow. Found this YT and it showed a really lovely way of doing it. Makes me want to get an airbrush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmnPkiiswPk

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Koreg wrote: »
    I know some people here really hate painting yellow. Found this YT and it showed a really lovely way of doing it. Makes me want to get an airbrush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmnPkiiswPk

This video is what made me want to try out inks.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I think I've seen someone else do that color combination before, but that's a good instructional video, thanks Koreg. It makes a great yellow, certainly.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I am now working on like 3 paint projects all at once. Painting up 3 of my HQs for Skaven, trying to figure out what dry brush color to use on the warcry starter terrain, and finally starting on the skulls for the graveyard terrain.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular

Someone did a epic scale (I think?) Eternity Gate based on the Blanche illustration from 2E.

Also:

Has anyone tried ImpCat? It is a program for android devices that takes pictures of miniatures, and allows you to change the colors on them. It allows you to look at the paint scheme -- using real citadel / vallejo / etc paint colors -- on "live" models.

For example, here's a Space Marine: https://www.reddit.com/r/impcat/comments/f2jh54/my_green_lanterns_scheme_why_just_upset_one_ip/

The reddit for it is over here: https://www.reddit.com/r/impcat/

And it is on Google Play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DesignBench.impcat

You do have to download the templates, they're available on Reddit. It's super useful.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So painted for a bit tonight. I am still trying to figure out a color pallet for my Ad Mech.

First we New Ad Mech aka blue.
    hI4fK74l.jpg
    1ucSuejl.jpg
    EGSIFeXl.jpg
    P3Ixl3ml.jpg

Or Ad Mech Classic aka red
    16UsTLil.jpg
    q9SyUUCl.jpg
    VLMg8KXl.jpg
    qvOTlJgl.jpg

Neither are fast because of the crazy ass detail levels.

I like the blue. You don't see it as much as the red, too.

You could say that they take the colour from the ritual clothing of ancient terran industrial cults. Their members were called the Blue Collars.

• Options
    Impcat is a bit fiddly, but is a stellar app for testing paint schemes

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Went on a bit of a manic painting spree the last few days and emerged the other side with a squad of very chonky lads:
    b3h9b3nyme99.jpg

A bonus WIP of their slightly less chonky leader:
    4bkeldl9emf2.jpg

And sprayed and drybrushed a squad of Havocs and a Sorcerer:
    sfopzt6hxk3y.jpg

Their last Havoc buddy is built but I'm waiting on some conversion bits to turn his Heavy Bolter into a Chaincannon.

Spring has apparently sprung and I have responded by PAINTIN'

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm about 70 pieces through a 120 piece Dwarven forge set. It's super easy painting, but damned monotonous. Probably have it finished up by this weekend, but I just ran out of matte clear coat, so I'll have to pick some more up tomorrow.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Would apothecary white work for the albino part of the fur for my Skaven?

I don't have ant painted Skaven to test it on.

Stragint on

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Yes

• Options
    Did a zenithal prime on the HQs. Doing a little sub assembly. I feel weird about some of the spots where the wraithbone hits the black. Like it didn't fully cover.
    x2kniypixi5f.jpeg
    egctyudxbu6u.jpeg
    irvvhdzhjdn0.jpeg
    drju3w81c7fw.jpeg
    bvg4g1aris4s.jpeg
    qxfss9c6yeez.jpeg
    Brainleech wrote: »

Yes

Cool, I'll use that to make it easier.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Did a zenithal prime on the HQs. Doing a little sub assembly. I feel weird about some of the spots where the wraithbone hits the black. Like it didn't fully cover.
    x2kniypixi5f.jpeg
    egctyudxbu6u.jpeg
    irvvhdzhjdn0.jpeg
    drju3w81c7fw.jpeg
    bvg4g1aris4s.jpeg
    qxfss9c6yeez.jpeg

Yes

Use a grey paint as a base coat or primer to get that albino fur

• Options
    edited March 2020
    x2kniypixi5f.jpeg
    egctyudxbu6u.jpeg
    irvvhdzhjdn0.jpeg
    drju3w81c7fw.jpeg
    bvg4g1aris4s.jpeg
    qxfss9c6yeez.jpeg

Yes

Use a grey paint as a base coat or primer to get that albino fur

I'm going to. I'm gonna brush paint over the fur parts with probably celestra grey. Or I could just do grey seer since I still have a pot of that.

Stragint on

• Options
    x2kniypixi5f.jpeg
    egctyudxbu6u.jpeg
    irvvhdzhjdn0.jpeg
    drju3w81c7fw.jpeg
    bvg4g1aris4s.jpeg
    qxfss9c6yeez.jpeg

I may be misunderstanding, but isn't that kind of the point of zenithal?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    x2kniypixi5f.jpeg
    egctyudxbu6u.jpeg
    irvvhdzhjdn0.jpeg
    drju3w81c7fw.jpeg
    bvg4g1aris4s.jpeg
    qxfss9c6yeez.jpeg

I may be misunderstanding, but isn't that kind of the point of zenithal?

It is. I think what is bothering me a bit is how it looks fuzzy I guess. Like parts where it looks really spotty where the black and white meet. I don't know if that is part of how it should look.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    @BloodySloth That yeti looks excellet. You mentioned some custom work, what was the original mini?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    That's how priming with a rattle can is gonna go duder. You want silky smooth blends use your airbrush.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    @BloodySloth That yeti looks excellet. You mentioned some custom work, what was the original mini?

Thanks! He was originally a Reaper Minis Yeti Warrior:

77435_w_1.jpg

I think I posted WIP shots of him upthread ages ago. I basically added a bunch of fur to bulk him up and get him to the right stature, and added the claws, spikes, and accessories made out of junk from my bits box. The claws/spikes are actually the filed-down halves of goblin bows I had left over from when I made my goblin Blood Bowl team years ago.
    h8ibu6q5ohkj.jpg
    ic9fkc1eukso.jpg
    2oli6nxl3dgb.jpg

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Duncan makes painting white seem so easy.

https://youtu.be/5t5EyqJMxCI