As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I'm liking this. I painted the green over the fluorescent so I'll probably add a bit more after the green dries.
    16rmgsbfewc3.jpeg
    sow9hdicfhhb.jpeg

So I'm going for the whole cave theme here with fluorescent paint and such so I figured I might as well go all the way and have fluorescent crystals and such.

Would it be easier to paint solid color crystals or clear ones?

I'm also planning on getting some of the alien grass from gamers grass since those are a nice color for this.

Super cool.

I think I would have chosen a different color than green for the glyph, though. Both in regular and dark light there's very little contrast between a green wall and green graffiti.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Not exactly sure how these are going to look because my monitor's brightness is on the higher side, but ...
    n2gui9bt8dj3.jpg
    ha8zrdtka3su.jpg

Feels nice actually making progress. Feeling less good staring down another 10 ships, but hey ... gotta start somewhere~
    So the thing is, I want to panel line these, and a long ways back had picked up some Tamiya panel liner thinking that would be the way to go. At this stage though I'm a bit worried the black is going to be too overpowering, and wonder if I should try pulling it off using either Secret Weapon armor wash or sewer wash? I suppose either way this has to sit in limbo for a bit since I'll want to give everything a gloss coat first, and I might as well have them all finished together. See you in 2 years, at the rate I go. ;P

really wish this and dropzone commander were better supported, dropzone was such a fucking great game. I think my only issue with it was the CQ Combat was a bit fiddly, but that is a great job man really nice color scheme.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Honestly, I find the rules for Dropfleet are just ... a bad game. Dropzone did seem a bit better thought out (also there's a 2.0 now, so you might want to look into that if you haven't), but I was never nearly as drawn to it as the aesthetic of Dropfleet. It's certainly a shame, but the models are excellent so I'm quite happy to have given them money for that at least.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Color scheme looks pretty good for two hours' work. Very messy up close though, I may give them a do-over.

mtkKNN9h.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Not exactly sure how these are going to look because my monitor's brightness is on the higher side, but ...
    n2gui9bt8dj3.jpg
    ha8zrdtka3su.jpg

Feels nice actually making progress. Feeling less good staring down another 10 ships, but hey ... gotta start somewhere~
    So the thing is, I want to panel line these, and a long ways back had picked up some Tamiya panel liner thinking that would be the way to go. At this stage though I'm a bit worried the black is going to be too overpowering, and wonder if I should try pulling it off using either Secret Weapon armor wash or sewer wash? I suppose either way this has to sit in limbo for a bit since I'll want to give everything a gloss coat first, and I might as well have them all finished together. See you in 2 years, at the rate I go. ;P

I'm super interested in what you got going on here, as I'm going down the Spaceships route myself in the near future.

Some Ammo by Mig wash called Starship Grime (I think) started popping up in my feed recently, and it made me wonder what the color composition of something like that is.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    This guy took a while despite being stuck inside:
    c0qgibk9y3bq.jpg

6vww4e473wr3.jpg

2h3oe6vd4u6e.jpg

Also I got some conversion bits for more chaincannon duders:
    h2bjmxxlalhw.jpg

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Where did you get the chain cannons? I need two for my second havoc squad.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Etsy, there's a few people selling what appears to be the same bit

• Options
    pardzh wrote: »
    Etsy, there's a few people selling what appears to be the same bit

How much? Looks like I can order them from shapeways for about $7.50 but I am looking through different versions.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Pretty sure it was significantly cheaper than that, closer to $5/pop

• Options
    Found them. Its the same folks just a little less. With shipping just about 5 bucks cheaper but worth it to finish my havocs.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm liking this. I painted the green over the fluorescent so I'll probably add a bit more after the green dries.
    16rmgsbfewc3.jpeg
    sow9hdicfhhb.jpeg

So I'm going for the whole cave theme here with fluorescent paint and such so I figured I might as well go all the way and have fluorescent crystals and such.

I'm also planning on getting some of the alien grass from gamers grass since those are a nice color for this.

Super cool.

I think I would have chosen a different color than green for the glyph, though. Both in regular and dark light there's very little contrast between a green wall and green graffiti.

I was thinking about doing other colors along with the green. Red, blue, purple, and orange to be specific. Just not sure yet.

I'm having an extremely hard time getting motivated to do anything and it is frustrating. I want to clean the upstairs area where all the gaming stuff is but there is so much stuff all over the place and I'm not sure how to organize it. I do know there is a lot of stuff to throw away.

My inability to get this done is stopping me from doing basically anything else.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    16rmgsbfewc3.jpeg
    sow9hdicfhhb.jpeg

Super cool.

I was thinking about doing other colors along with the green. Red, blue, purple, and orange to be specific. Just not sure yet.

I'm having an extremely hard time getting motivated to do anything and it is frustrating. I want to clean the upstairs area where all the gaming stuff is but there is so much stuff all over the place and I'm not sure how to organize it. I do know there is a lot of stuff to throw away.

My inability to get this done is stopping me from doing basically anything else.

Unsolicited advice:
    When this happens to me, it's often because there's one aspect of the task that I dread tackling, and it causes me enough frustration/anxiety that I avoid the whole thing. I find it helps if I can identify what specific thing is blocking me, and why (task is unpleasant or boring; task is (or seems) impossible; I genuinely do not have the skills and/or the resources to deal with it; etc.).

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Found them. Its the same folks just a little less. With shipping just about 5 bucks cheaper but worth it to finish my havocs.

If you haven't already pulled the trigger, compare that to Red Dog Minis. They make parts like this, and I think if I'm reading the conversation right, at much lower cost.

https://www.reddogminis.com/human-scaled-infantry.html

I bought some of their discontinued 6 mm mecha line a while back, and was pretty happy all around with my purchase.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    16rmgsbfewc3.jpeg
    sow9hdicfhhb.jpeg

Super cool.

Unsolicited advice:
    When this happens to me, it's often because there's one aspect of the task that I dread tackling, and it causes me enough frustration/anxiety that I avoid the whole thing. I find it helps if I can identify what specific thing is blocking me, and why (task is unpleasant or boring; task is (or seems) impossible; I genuinely do not have the skills and/or the resources to deal with it; etc.).

I definitely appreciate the advice, I think that is exactly what the problem is.

I'll definitely have to figure out what part of it is causing me the most issues. I know part of it is my germaphobia which has gotten a bit worse with everything going on right now. That definitely isn't the only thing though so I need to consider more with it.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

If you haven't already pulled the trigger, compare that to Red Dog Minis. They make parts like this, and I think if I'm reading the conversation right, at much lower cost.

I bought some of their discontinued 6 mm mecha line a while back, and was pretty happy all around with my purchase.

Definitely not tau models lmao

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

I pulled the trigger but also those are resin. I have an innate dislike of resin compared to plastic.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

I pulled the trigger but also those are resin. I have an innate dislike of resin compared to plastic.

That's fair. I have a love-hate relationship with resin, so I get it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I kind of like the detail you get with resin but then I know working with it is annoying but then there is also photo etched brass which is created by sadists to achieve a level of detail but is it worth it?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I kind of like the detail you get with resin but then I know working with it is annoying but then there is also photo etched brass which is created by sadists to achieve a level of detail but is it worth it?
    Yes. Building the tiniest shit is the most fun.
    Did you forget my dropfleet ships also use 1mm magnets so the turrets can still rotate? ;D

• Options

Yeah, pretty much. The other thing being that if you're into stuff that's more niche, resin can be way cheaper and actually have the models you want to exist.

I'm in the process of falling down that starships rabbit hole and outside of Star Wars, Star Trek, and Dropfleet, most things are either white metal, resin, or a combination. Or 3D printed resin. It's all fine, and while I love a plastic model most, it's hella expensive at times too.

It doesn't help that I'm hodge-podging a starships game together, using whatever models I think are "cool" from across the breadth of the industry.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Yeah, pretty much. The other thing being that if you're into stuff that's more niche, resin can be way cheaper and actually have the models you want to exist.

I'm in the process of falling down that starships rabbit hole and outside of Star Wars, Star Trek, and Dropfleet, most things are either white metal, resin, or a combination. Or 3D printed resin. It's all fine, and while I love a plastic model most, it's hella expensive at times too.

It doesn't help that I'm hodge-podging a starships game together, using whatever models I think are "cool" from across the breadth of the industry.

Well the other day I found there is a 1/350 D7 Klingon and Enterprise but in the lighting kits for them have the photo etch
    I am tempted but I feel I will really go all in and build a display for the one I get to keep it dust free

• Options
    Best I can say is don't be afraid of photo etch. If you're going to try it you've got to be willing to start somewhere. You just need to make sure you're setup to start out right (a proper cutting surface, a good set of tweezers and pliers, appropriate glue) and be willing to make some mistakes. Boxy shapes are honestly really easy, but rounded or free-form stuff is a lot more difficult. I wouldn't consider myself that far in and I've definitely seen an improvement already in my ability to work with the stuff. It really depends on what that photo-etch is adding and how complex the bits are.
    At worst, just be prepared to throw away the parts that aren't working out for you.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Looks like Scalecolor is about to launch a kickstarter for high-pigmented paints (or contrast paints but based on the colors shown they look more opaque). They're called 'INSTANT COLORS' with the tagline "paints for gamers".

I'm down. Take my money.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Keen, I just got my Scalecolor metallic paints. Holy cow they're so good. Black metal is just gorgeous.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    Keen, I just got my Scalecolor metallic paints. Holy cow they're so good. Black metal is just gorgeous.

Right? I just got mine too. Amazing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I feel like such a weird jerk. A person or two has been posting some genuinely nice Dropfleet stuff in the facebook group, but they're weathering it as you'd expect to see on a tank or space marine. The scale of this game is dramatically different though and it's really bothering me, but it also doesn't feel like something I can or should call out.
    Someone please acknowledge with me that this is like, skyscraper-sized chunks of paint casually peeling away. :P
    y548841uvusu.png

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I feel like such a weird jerk. A person or two has been posting some genuinely nice Dropfleet stuff in the facebook group, but they're weathering it as you'd expect to see on a tank or space marine. The scale of this game is dramatically different though and it's really bothering me, but it also doesn't feel like something I can or should call out.
    Someone please acknowledge with me that this is like, skyscraper-sized chunks of paint casually peeling away. :P
    y548841uvusu.png

Eeugh. You're not wrong.

Like, it's well applied, but yeah. That doesn't seem right for 1:9150 scale models.

Hell, what does rust at that scale even look like? I don't know that we even have a real-world analog to compare against.

[ninja] I just did a cursory image search for rusted battleships, found some images, and held them at arm's length, and I still don't think I understand how that might look. Kinda just a brownish+- tinge that is washed out/around until it hits a fully painted edge, and it's maybe just a bit blended along that edge? I don't know.

Nips on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I have the same knee-jerk reaction when I see lame-looking poses for Gundam models. The boxart and manuals have cool poses! Emulate those! Use them as inspiration. At least point the toes out so they aren't pointing straight ahead like skis.

Anyway yeah that's too much rust.

• Options
    y548841uvusu.png

Eeugh. You're not wrong.

Like, it's well applied, but yeah. That doesn't seem right for 1:9150 scale models.

Hell, what does rust at that scale even look like? I don't know that we even have a real-world analog to compare against.

[ninja] I just did a cursory image search for rusted battleships, found some images, and held them at arm's length, and I still don't think I understand how that might look. Kinda just a brownish+- tinge that is washed out/around until it hits a fully painted edge, and it's maybe just a bit blended along that edge? I don't know.

Also I imagine whatever that thing is made out of probably wouldn't rust. It's future space metal. If I was doing anything it would be scorch marks and maybe different sections having slightly different tones, like old worn sections and new replacement parts.

• Options
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Also I imagine whatever that thing is made out of probably wouldn't rust. It's future space metal. If I was doing anything it would be scorch marks and maybe different sections having slightly different tones, like old worn sections and new replacement parts.

I'd also say you're missing one of the primary ingredients of rust/oxidation in space - oxygen.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ironsizide wrote: »

I'd also say you're missing one of the primary ingredients of rust/oxidation in space - oxygen.

I was hedging my bets. I have no idea if ships in this setting can go in atmosphere or not. :D

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    More minis that I've printed. Getting a printer has been the best idea ever. This mini is roughly 35mm tall. She has a tall hair piece

unknown.png

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    ironsizide wrote: »

I was hedging my bets. I have no idea if ships in this setting can go in atmosphere or not. :D

A few ships can (and must to land troops to occupy objectives), but generally entering atmosphere is a death sentence.

God damn I need to play DFC again.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    More progress on my Hogors. Enter the (sand)witch hunter and his retinue!
    warpigs_hunter01.jpg
    warpig_hunter_turn.gif

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The Sabrehog is fantastic.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    They're pigs and their pet is a pig.

What kind of fucked up Goofy-Pluto situation is this?

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    In the magical land of Ghur, there are animals and there are funny animals.
    Why are there humans and monkeys, huh? :P

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    In the magical land of Ghur, there are animals and there are funny animals.
    Why are there humans and monkeys, huh? :P

Because, although they share a common evolutionary ancestor, humans and monkeys evolved along two distinct evolutionary ... ohhhhhhhhh.