As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    my FLGS is allowed to stay open right now. I don't know how. They lowered their store hours to 3 hours a day, and promise to stream demos/painting/content for 3 hours before opening every day. And no allowed events in the store for now, and social distancing enforced.

I mean...... maybe if they converted to pick up? They are the only store for like 2-3 hours drive that would have convienence items like mini paint/gw paint/mini brushes. They just moved in february at the worst time to a very large building from a small strip mall location, so I hope that means they are doing well enough to weather this storm.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    canuckont wrote: »
    401 games and Legends warehouse in Canada are good from my perspective. I havent checked their stock in a while but they arent to bad if you're ordering more then a single pot.

Cool, I'll check those out

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Another infiltrator done. Just the alpha left.

o9F1tK0l.jpg

EYoXV7Rl.jpg

They are actually pretty simple thanks to liquid skill aka nuln oil.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    blqd76olwei3.png
    I meant to show this yesterday but the pic was meh so I took a new one. It's been like that for weeks so part of me fears when GW reopens here there will be a rush

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Decided to do something besides that fucking crystals. I have the Death Runners that I ordered on ebay that don't actually exist in AoS but I'll just use them as Deathmasters for my Skaven.

The scale 75 paint is perfect as fuck for them. I figured since Skaven are apparently really good assassins I'd make their armor a dark blue and the way scale 75 dries is perfect for the look I want, very matte and non-reflective. Just need to figure out what to do with the swords, might mix the scale 75 black metal with a bit of inktense black to make it darker and paint the weapons with it.

Also added some felt to the top of my table. Last part is putting up the side boards that I want the LEDs to run through. Just need to figure out how to make that groove. I also feel like I posted this picture already but I couldn't find it so maybe I didn't.
    m2MExtb.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    My next attempt at the crystals. The white lines are such a pain in the ass.
    b1rovhfqj5bc.jpg
    wzdqrrzkmy42.jpg

I also decided to just try the white contrast on the Skaven and then shade it with a black wash and I'm honestly kind of into it. The albino look is kind of lost but they are dirty cave dwelling Skaven so I guess it works.
    0kpfkxjjzd9g.jpeg
    amhi8nav9nnu.jpeg

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I personally think a little less heavy on the white, but overall good. I shrunk the picture down to table top size and it looked nice.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think that looks a lot better. If you want to reduce the brightness, you might be able to apply a wash to the lines.

But honestly I think they look good as-is.

• Options
    I did add a purple wash to it, it looks mostly the same to me but also kind of different. Can't really explain it.
    rksso5se1cv5.jpeg
    b9b3d48qt2jm.jpeg

I'm not sure if I want to keep it or start over again. I do like where it is at and it has looked better each time so I'm wondering if I can take it a step further.

I do also really appreciate all the help and advice with this. I probably would have just given up on it. Thank you all!

I also finished one of the Deathrunners. Painted it on and off today during work. Pretty sure I'll be able to get the second one done way faster.
    hisf5vwpeo1h.jpeg
    tox2ykef4zgf.jpeg
    nkz0c5lxdqft.jpeg
    c7fp2p0h3mdg.jpeg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    That's some nice glowy amethyst you got there. Looks great.

A light wash or glaze is a good way to tie the different colours together and give a deepening effect even if it isn't really noticeable itself. Just smoothes things out a bit, so thats probably what makes it look different

honovere on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Yea that wash on the crystals sells it. Well done.

Also those Deathrunners are dope.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Finished the second deathrunner. Painted it up a little different.
    ynhzq4kfrb6v.jpeg
    3iooknwatlsw.jpeg
    o2ty59unoi8w.jpeg
    1wycyt9yfasl.jpeg

Also put the grey seer on the base.
    ezugvson2ucl.jpeg
    msg4qqvrzkv9.jpeg
    tg14fy88fpkm.jpeg
    jrcskj3331yf.jpeg
    gmui1kjcw6f3.jpeg
    bz9931mbgasg.jpeg
    2v28o3wo5k2s.jpeg
    pky78l3dfcw1.jpeg

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Alright, screw it, I'm going to order one of the Red Grass wet palettes. I've been an advocate of DIY for a long time on this front, but my current solution has three problems: Small surface area (the working surface is about the size of my palm), no cover (it's open to air, so the water dries up daily) and reliance on parchment paper (cutting and flattening sheets is extra effort for sure). There's some unfortunate intersection between the last two as I think the parchment paper I have literally dissolves noticeably over time, so if I go a week between sessions the paper is coming apart at the edges and tears if I'm too rough mixing. I'll make due while I wait for that to arrive, but ... yeah ... It just feels like it's time.

• Options
    I love my wet palette. Started using it again when I grabbed my scale 75 paints and I'm not sure why I ever stopped

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Anyone know of a hot pink that I can buy any where? I need some to finish the graveyard terrain and I'm kind of tired of mixing my own and trying to get the right shade.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Alright, screw it, I'm going to order one of the Red Grass wet palettes. I've been an advocate of DIY for a long time on this front, but my current solution has three problems: Small surface area (the working surface is about the size of my palm), no cover (it's open to air, so the water dries up daily) and reliance on parchment paper (cutting and flattening sheets is extra effort for sure). There's some unfortunate intersection between the last two as I think the parchment paper I have literally dissolves noticeably over time, so if I go a week between sessions the paper is coming apart at the edges and tears if I'm too rough mixing. I'll make due while I wait for that to arrive, but ... yeah ... It just feels like it's time.

I have one and I like it. Contrary to what the internet says there's no shame in spending money on something nice even if you can make something semi-nice yourself.

I'll never understand people who will spend $40 on a single mini with no issue but get so mad at the idea of spending $30 on a tool they will use literally every day.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I made the mistake of once again trying to do an 'eavy metal style paintscheme for these nighthaunts I was going to paint this week... wasted a whole day on it yesterday and ended up super frustrated just trying to get the cloaks and ghosty bits right.

Before I put everything away for the night I just grabbed my airbrush and some colors and hacked out my own thing. Pretty happy with the result. Still have to finish the metals, etc. but it's a good starting point and it took like 10 minutes.
    40fv6r9tik76.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    I made the mistake of once again trying to do an 'eavy metal style paintscheme for these nighthaunts I was going to paint this week... wasted a whole day on it yesterday and ended up super frustrated just trying to get the cloaks and ghosty bits right.

Before I put everything away for the night I just grabbed my airbrush and some colors and hacked out my own thing. Pretty happy with the result. Still have to finish the metals, etc. but it's a good starting point and it took like 10 minutes.
    40fv6r9tik76.jpg

I've been super tempted to buy all the soul wars boxes for the nighthaunt because I can paint them to match my graveyard terrain and it would be really quick because it would be all airbrush and then my brother can have the stormcast as a birthday present since he wants them.

I'm just torn cause there are other things I want to buy as well and it is all pretty pricey.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Calling him done except basing. Going to do a mass basing night when I finish the HQs I have primed.

0TL0J5Wl.jpg

NN1KvuCl.jpg

EbhVrjVl.jpg

LRy1eJsl.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    So some of the conversion bits for the Skryre acolytes have the orbs being held with two hands in front of the body and if I glue those in before painting it is really going to suck. I really didn't want to sub assemble but I might need to.

The heads look a little big. Only glued in the dagger and orb arms, everything else is using poster tac.
    lo5bjs1cpigk.jpeg

I'm feeling kind of demoralized. Not sure how to set this up for sub assembly.

With metal parts, does the paint break off if the metal is bent? The orb with two arms holding them gotta be pushed into place to fit snugly.

Stragint on

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Yes, you'll likely crack the paint if you bend them.

• Options
    J wrote: »

Damn, so I should glue those arms in then even if it makes it harder to paint.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    This is probably heresy, but tend to take the view that if it’s hidden from the paintbrush, it’s also hidden from the eye. Blob some appropriate dark colour in there and worry about the bits people can actually see.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    This is probably heresy, but tend to take the view that if it’s hidden from the paintbrush, it’s also hidden from the eye. Blob some appropriate dark colour in there and worry about the bits people can actually see.
    No, I work basically the same way. It's rare that there's a particularly visible spot that's difficult to reach.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

Damn, so I should glue those arms in then even if it makes it harder to paint.

Undercoat the pieces separately, paint the torso, attach the arms, hand apply undercoat to any cracks, then finish painting the arms.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I painted a face.

0wt1c1bwdwu2.png

• Options
    No, I work basically the same way. It's rare that there's a particularly visible spot that's difficult to reach.

I know I should do this but for some reason I just have kind of a hard time accepting it I guess would be the best way to put it. I know it will basically be a spot that absolutely no one will see, especially when it is on a base and such and the angle makes it basically impossible to see but knowing it will be there just bothers me for some reason. It also makes some surrounding areas a bit annoying to paint.

I need to buy some liquid green stuff to fill in these tiny holes in some of the metal hands holding knives so I probably wont start priming until tonight or tomorrow so I'll think about how to move forward. I might just glue them in or do what Mr_Rose says and just fix up the cracked spots and go from there.

I'm sure once I actually get started and move forward with a solution I'll be a lot happier again and can get these all done fairly quick.
    I painted a face.

0wt1c1bwdwu2.png

Reminds me of Count Dooku.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I have a question...how did you attach the head to the thing your holding? I've been struggling with this for a while, especially when I'm trying to batch airbrush like...space marine shoulders. Museum putty just doesn't seem to hold for very long.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »

Reminds me of Count Dooku.

It is Count Dooku ( from legion ) so I'm pretty glad to hear that!

GnomeTank wrote: »
    I have a question...how did you attach the head to the thing your holding? I've been struggling with this for a while, especially when I'm trying to batch airbrush like...space marine shoulders. Museum putty just doesn't seem to hold for very long.

His head is already on a fairly large post, I just superglued it to a piece of sprue. I find providing theres ample "neckage" I can get away with that in most cases, like marines or stormcast. Otherwise I drill a hole and pop em on a paperclip

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I must be dumb to how super glue works, despite using it for years...doesn't that damage the model? Do you just crack it off when you're done?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Yup, just crack it off. The point of contact is going to be hidden anyways.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Whats the model quality like in Legion?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Pretty good after the frist run from what I hear.

I can't confirm what it's like for the Clone Wars stuff since I can't pick up my robots because there's apparently some plague sweeping the globe

• Options
    edited May 2020
    The b1 are hard plastic and really nice. The phase 1 clones are softer but cleaned up with sandpaper. Just the usual requirement of hot water to straighten any wonky bits.

I believe all future releases are hard plastic. So that's good!

J on
  • Options
    On the subject of glue. I cracked open a couple of resin models today, which I've never worked with.

Does any old superglue work? I'm using green capped gel gorilla glue aaaaaand... it doesn't seem to want to adhere?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    On the subject of glue. I cracked open a couple of resin models today, which I've never worked with.

Does any old superglue work? I'm using green capped gel gorilla glue aaaaaand... it doesn't seem to want to adhere?

I use army painter super glue and its been great. Your model clean? It might not be making good contact.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

I use army painter super glue and its been great. Your model clean? It might not be making good contact.

Yeah, I gave it a good scrub with a toothbrush in a sink of soapy water. I assume it's clean?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options

Yeah, I gave it a good scrub with a toothbrush in a sink of soapy water. I assume it's clean?

Should be.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Finecast is the worst

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6