As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Okay, that is a nice painting box. Is that only used for airbrushing? Are there fumes/ventilation issues?

I keep looking for portable/collapsible options.

Yes, I only use it for air brushing. It has a huge fuck off set of fans in the back that suck air through the rear filter. It has a hose assembly that can go out a window, but my high rise does not accommodate that...so I just taped a box to the back where the output is. It's not as good as the hose out the window, but it's a sore sight better than nothing. Not sure I would use spray cans without the hose out the window.
    I just put an old, heavy sock over the end of the vent hose, and then put that in a large ziplock bag so that any paint particles hit the cloth, and then the back of the bag before it vents.

When I did used to have this venting out a window, when I finally moved it, I had a perfect black circle on the screen where hose had been pressed.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I love the level of polish, detail, and grace in GW's sculpts, and how beautifully dynamic they are.

They are incredibly cool and I badly want to paint models that look like that... except not angry :sad:

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Maybe when the harlequins get some new sculpts? If "creepy clown happy" is better than "angry" for you :D

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Okay, how do you folks make sure your models are completely free of any particulate before you prime and coat them? Especially on larger models I always end up with a piece of schmutz or something right in the middle of an armor plate where it's obvious and eye catching. I clean my models in soap and water before spraying them, clean them off with a big makeup brush, and I've even pulled the hose off my airbrush to blow them off before I start....it's infuriating!

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    What kind of particulate? Keep them in a dust-free location? Or even, just in a lidded box after they're washed? Like, lay a couple layers of paper towel down in a cardboard box with a lid to let them dry, and then pull them out only when they're dry and you're ready to work on them?

Otherwise, I soap wash/rinse/air dry, and then the models go into a Plano box to keep them ready for the next steps.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Hard to say what it is most of the time, since I don't notice it until the primer is on and it's a big obvious piece of something. I'll try and be more careful between the wash and prime stage.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I love the level of polish, detail, and grace in GW's sculpts, and how beautifully dynamic they are.

They are incredibly cool and I badly want to paint models that look like that... except not angry :sad:

Tyranids? They’re not angry, they’re hangry.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna go back and strip my foot soldiers, the putty patrol folks. Looking at them, it turns out I applied primer REALLY unevenly, and didn't get as uniform a coat as I thought. And where I did spray, it has that chalky like texture that implies I overdid it.

I also picked up some army painter brush-on primer so I can do touch-ups and/or do in house stuff when the August weather gets really sucky. I need to subscribe to duncan's channel and watch some more stuff.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really should stop rebasing figures as I have stabbed myself in the hand twice this time deep enough to be a stab wound
    Because like last summer I would paint at night I still do but I do need to get a better system of storage of painted minis since the bags and planos work great for unpainted stuff just piled in

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really should stop rebasing figures as I have stabbed myself in the hand twice this time deep enough to be a stab wound
    Because like last summer I would paint at night I still do but I do need to get a better system of storage of painted minis since the bags and planos work great for unpainted stuff just piled in

Blood for the Blood God? I have stabbed myself a couple times with my gunpla, it's pretty normal. Though wounds are bad. :(

The best generic solution I've ever seen is metallic shelves and small magnets on the base of the models. That way they can take up a minimal amount of space and stay in place. You can even hang them upside-down if you trust the magnets. And if you use magnets with your painting handles, win win!

I personally am only painting board game pieces and I have organizers for most of them, so that helps with keeping everything in place.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I sliced my finger open enough to soak a few sheets of paper towel with blood when I was rebasing some Flesh Eaters.

The missus was kinda shocked at the amount of blood.

• Options
    I am not fond of the metal shelf ideal as it's not only figures as I am not going to repeat the same problem I had with my eldar falcons again. But when you have 150+ termagants and 40 hormogaunts 30 gargoyles and so on the metal shelf kind of looks not the direction to go {that's only just the tyranids as I have a necron army and a large army of the various flavors of eldar and my black templars}

I kind of want to get the large buckets or build a chest with dense foam cut outs to store my minis just getting the foam is a math problem I should do.
    But it's been a idea pre 3D printing being so cheap {well not cheap enough for it in every house} To build ships to store my armies [this was back when i just had the craftworlders and the black templars being handed the dark eldar from the 3rd
    as I thought it would be cool to build storage like that {someone had a tyranid army in a case that was a fleshy mass looking thing back then and with BFG gave me what the various ships kind of looked like}

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to leave my Necrons forever unpainted. I just can't decide on a paint scheme I like. The new "glow" paint is really nice but I'm not sure it would go well with the blue and now I'm just second guessing the entire thing.

At least my Space Wolves are easy to paint though they look really basic and I don't really add much flavor to them.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    I think I'm going to leave my Necrons forever unpainted. I just can't decide on a paint scheme I like. The new "glow" paint is really nice but I'm not sure it would go well with the blue and now I'm just second guessing the entire thing.

At least my Space Wolves are easy to paint though they look really basic and I don't really add much flavor to them.

I am curious how they did the dirty necron look with the new ones. Just no longer having Duncan and them not doing a painting guide for months because of the pandemic is kind of worrysome as well as the fallout from why Duncan left
    Um ok I looked up the 2nd video and saw they did the necron question I had
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tspAUHR4CsI
    I still feel they could go back to the painting guides they had 5 years ago as the Eldar one would be worth it's weight in gold like the Harlequin one
    I still feel the Nihilakh dynasty
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vOkwf_xh74
    Was one they did for the rumored Necron paint guide [I only know of this rumor as the German guy on youtube that did a flip though the books and gives his thoughts about them talked about the ISP's for a eldar book {there was 2} And the Necrons as I felt they painted them and the Solar ones for the book

I have been harassing my brother to paint showing him I started my kill team from last year started the phobos marines for my kill team home brew last night how I started my swarm [still debating about doing more than just what I did so far} how I painted two harlequin bikes {lacking a certain paint to finish them and how I bought my bikes second hand one of the boxes did not have riders so I have been looking into how do I fix this? I can use drukkari riders with some mods and get some spare legs to do not so static riders just the halberd is the problem

I have pointed out I got him the Paint guide and the paint he just gives me the retort of it's too hot [well it was now it's cooling down to hot} His other is I lack the room I show him with the planos you can store unpainted minis till you prime them so you could start your grey knight it's mostly sliver I just lack runefang for that highlight. Just trying to get someone harassing you about the sea of grey swarm and painted warriors when they have only half assed painted thier army is kind of frustrating.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    A local facebook group is doing box splits now that made to order Indomitus is a thing.

I'm sorely tempted to get a Necron half just so I can paint some Robutts

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I use a giant leather thimble. Haven't cut myself in ages. $1 off ebay.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

I use a giant leather thimble. Haven't cut myself in ages. $1 off ebay.
    Gore
    A thimble might of worked on one but the other no
    bagj8md9jn1s.png
    czv9lnsz0tca.png

Brainleech on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I've come to the point in my hobby career where I just... I'm never not salty with GW for their pricing and game design, but...

I still buy their nerdy luxury items and play their stupid games. But I just get so angry at their pricing.

But, dammit, their spray colors are somehow worth MORE than their price tags. I'm using macragge blue, and that is literally the best spray paint I've ever used or seen used.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

If you're just after interesting sculpts for painting, have you looked at the Malifaux range? They're plastic sprue based and I'd put them up with GW for detail and dynamism. There's a bit more emotional range to the figures than all angry all the time. Slightly larger scale and that detail comes with sometimes incredibly fiddly construction however.

But essentially, when you look to wargames for figures, the war bit is going to come through.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    So I cracked out two more of the not night lords
    nyfu5x8lw5p6.png

I don't know what the thing on the chest of the LT is as this was just the extra shadowspear team I got but I changed them to my home brew since in the space marine codex you can do all phobos chapters

I just did the base colors I will have to dig back in the box of paint since it's a mess for what colors I was using to paint them to start with

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Saw someone do some cool stuff with inks and glow effects and I didn't realize how much of a pain it apparently is to buy acrylic inks.

Trying to grab daler rowney and it is pretty expensive on amazon and ebay.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I sliced my finger open enough to soak a few sheets of paper towel with blood when I was rebasing some Flesh Eaters.

The missus was kinda shocked at the amount of blood.

"Passersby were amazed at the unusually large amounts of blood."

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Saw someone do some cool stuff with inks and glow effects and I didn't realize how much of a pain it apparently is to buy acrylic inks.

Try liquitex acrylic ink as well

Here in Canada at least its more available and less expensive

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I buy liquitex on amazon. Prices are fine and prime shipping.

Fun fact: liquitex inks are the same thing as citadel inks from the early 00s. I have both to compare and they are literally the same thing.

Transparent raw sienna = chestnut
    Transparent burnt umber = brown

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

Have you looked at Dick Blick art supplies? It looks like they've got a discount running on Daler-Rowney acrylic inks. Approximately $5+S&H for a 1 oz bottle, which seems pretty reasonable given my experiences in the past.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Ive been a graphic designer for 12 years and I dont remember what it was like not to be nursing a pen knife wound on one of my fingers

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »

Have you looked at Dick Blick art supplies? It looks like they've got a discount running on Daler-Rowney acrylic inks. Approximately $5+S&H for a 1 oz bottle, which seems pretty reasonable given my experiences in the past.

Thanks for the suggest, those are way cheaper. Thank you!

• Options
    Yay for small favors. Turns out the black plastic of the black ranger was slightly different colored/purple/bluish under light compared to the primer, so I was able to verify that I scrubbed that sucker clean.

Time for once more into the breach tomorrow, especially now that my little gunpla side effort is done.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

Fun fact: liquitex inks are the same thing as citadel inks from the early 00s. I have both to compare and they are literally the same thing.

I miss the old citadel paints, and chestnut ink was... just so good for realist blood on blades.

But, seriously, those paints... so much pigment.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    The World's Slowest Painting Man presents:

"Evil Space Man Squad 2 Dude 2"
    e1w5ba548lft.jpg

Four more models to go (3 Marines and 1 Havoc) and maybe I'll finish the battle force before next Christmas.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Anyone else assembling Pteraxii and finding them kinda ridiculous? Who else has a seven-part backpack and individual toe-claws? On a nominally man-sized model at that…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Masters Brush Cleaner tastes awful.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    FroThulhu wrote: »

I miss the old citadel paints, and chestnut ink was... just so good for realist blood on blades.

But, seriously, those paints... so much pigment.

I'm actually wrong here, transparent burnt sienna is chestnut ink, not raw. Raw is much closer to a sepia ink.

You can find them all in this set.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Phew, been a bit!

I finished two models in the last month, hit a pretty big block.

This is the latest one:

wu2ArcBl.png

And then for lolz here he is with the other model I've painted this month

fu877iBl.png

Arch on
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular

Do they have the old school flesh wash tho?

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Szeras is on my List. It’s a very exclusive list so far; just him and Eldrad, but man does he deserve it.
    That is all.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Szeras is on my List. It’s a very exclusive list so far; just him and Eldrad, but man does he deserve it.
    That is all.

What?

• Options
    edited July 2020
    That is all.

What?

Goddamn insane GW 3D puzzle characters. Szeras really raised the bar though:
    Dude has six arms and they all overlap, somehow. That swirl of goo coming off the guy on the floor? The gunstaff laser bit is integral to it, like structurally, and worse, it’s also part of the fourth and final leg which is pinning the poor dissolving guy. Then the swirl in his upper left hand which is also attached to his lower right hand, his extra probe-arm, and, via a pipe, to the blackstone gubbins on his back.
    Just wow; I mean it all comes together but it also means subassembly is right out so he’s going to be an absolute pain to paint.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    That is all.

What?

Dude has six arms and they all overlap, somehow. That swirl of goo coming off the guy on the floor? The gunstaff laser bit is integral to it, like structurally, and worse, it’s also part of the fourth and final leg which is pinning the poor dissolving guy. Then the swirl in his upper left hand which is also attached to his lower right hand, his extra probe-arm, and, via a pipe, to the blackstone gubbins on his back.
    Just wow; I mean it all comes together but it also means subassembly is right out so he’s going to be an absolute pain to paint.

I haven't clipped Szeras off the sprue yet but I've seen people posting WIP pictures with Szeras in sub assembly.

• Options
    That is all.

What?

I haven't clipped Szeras off the sprue yet but I've seen people posting WIP pictures with Szeras in sub assembly.

Then they have vastly more delicate fingers than I; nearly snapped the laser bit off the end of his staff just picking the sprue up. Did snap one of the tiny swirl bits in his hand but fortunately it went back on OK and connects to another bit so it’s stable. If people can repeatedly pick up and put down the individual pieces like that without breaking things, more power to ‘em.