As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Hey so as a change of pace I slapped together a Defiler Mound from StarCraft out of model magic, and just finished varnishing today:
    eepnk2hcvvpz.jpg

For reference in case you have somehow forgotten what one obscure structure from a 20+ year old video game looks like:

x2bytakqcese.jpg

Anyway the in-game sprite features a pit in between it's, uh... arms? which I have not chosen to model, becaaaauuuuse the hope is that I'll be able to use this as an enclosure decoration for a vinegaroon, in which case I'll scoop out substrate in the area where the pit should be to make a starter burrow for the little critter.

For the uninitiated, a vinegaroon is basically what the earth produced after learning how awesome defilers in StarCraft are, complete with the ability to squirt acid at its enemies (it's a weak acid that won't really do anything unless it gets in your eyes or mouth... which is admittedly what it aims for).

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The mixing paint discussion was some time ago, but anyway.

Instar paints are changing their whole colour system to a mix it yourself system, having a limited range of base colours and then providing mixing tools and recipes.

Haven't tried anything from them so I can't tell what the quality is like but it's an interesting approach.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hey so as a change of pace I slapped together a Defiler Mound from StarCraft out of model magic, and just finished varnishing today:
    eepnk2hcvvpz.jpg

For reference in case you have somehow forgotten what one obscure structure from a 20+ year old video game looks like:

x2bytakqcese.jpg

Anyway the in-game sprite features a pit in between it's, uh... arms? which I have not chosen to model, becaaaauuuuse the hope is that I'll be able to use this as an enclosure decoration for a vinegaroon, in which case I'll scoop out substrate in the area where the pit should be to make a starter burrow for the little critter.

For the uninitiated, a vinegaroon is basically what the earth produced after learning how awesome defilers in StarCraft are, complete with the ability to squirt acid at its enemies (it's a weak acid that won't really do anything unless it gets in your eyes or mouth... which is admittedly what it aims for).

I hope you post some pictures of your creepy buggy boi when you get it.
    If not here, then in one of the pet threads in SE++.

More information on vinegaroons as pets, spoilered because not everyone finds giant bugs as cool as they are.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Voting on the snakes at the LGS has started. Last time I checked I'm tired for third place with first and second being about triple the votes mine has.

Already seeing where I could have done better. Shouldn't have done just the one color for the scales. The two that are winning put patterns on the scales. Also their bases are a lot fuller than mine.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Finished up Inking and polishing up this set of Dice I got off of Etsy. They turned out pretty good! Inking dice is a pain in the butt though. I hope they hold up. Can't wait to display them. It's really hard to capture the shimmer in a still photo, but damn do they shine! I'm going to have to roll them while wearing cotton gloves.

ipqvxoatg0uo.jpg
    ej7h8ev8yqp3.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What is "inking" dice?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Brainleech Painting in the numbers.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    eepnk2hcvvpz.jpg

x2bytakqcese.jpg

More information on vinegaroons as pets, spoilered because not everyone finds giant bugs as cool as they are.

I'm thoroughly wigged out by the idea of handling insects, but I also think hermit crabs and other crustaceans are just the coolest things.

My amygdala is currently going nuts trying to decide whether to classify that thing as a horrifying giant bug or an adorable land lobster :razz:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Speaking of Nolzur minis I got several and some NSFW figures [kingdom death}
    The weapons are kind of bent so as it was said I can soak them and bend it straight or whatever?
    yd2emzct94rw.png

My complaint about the kingdom death figures is they have NO instructions so you have to defer to pics or guess [the other ones I have are the halloween ringtail and a certain other halloween ones I noticed after I got it was festooned with penises

Brainleech on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Being covered in dicks, boobs and vaginas is just Kingdom Deaths thing. The back of their Pheonix is... ugh.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Being covered in dicks, boobs and vaginas is just Kingdom Deaths thing. The back of their Pheonix is... ugh.

the one I am talking about is festooned with them I only noticed that after I got the model and looked at the sprue
    But yes the one I showed I made fun of to my brother that how she is swinging the sword over her large chest and how the cape has moved for an ass shot

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

LOL, out of morbid curiosity I tried looking this up and got pics of their giant bird monster. Why does it have a cluster of tiny human hands coming out of its crotch?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

LOL, out of morbid curiosity I tried looking this up and got pics of their giant bird monster. Why does it have a cluster of tiny human hands coming out of its crotch?

For grabbing things

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

For grabbing things

This has been another edition of simple answers to easy questions.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Weird, inexplicable, body horror designs is just a thing with Kingdom Death, so 'that doesn't belong there!' is a fairly standard design component. IIRC, the base game setting was, 'the characters wake up on a plain of stone faces, with ink-stained eyes, next to a mound of mystic lanterns, the only light in the otherwise dark world,' and if you manage to keep your settlement alive for 25 years, the abomination that was growing beneath the mound of 'lanterns' hatches and leaves taking all the light with it and the darkness full of monsters.

Conceptionally it's cool as hell, although there are so many models that I would feel skeevy even painting, much less having in a display case for everyone to see. XD

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    eepnk2hcvvpz.jpg

x2bytakqcese.jpg

I'm thoroughly wigged out by the idea of handling insects, but I also think hermit crabs and other crustaceans are just the coolest things.

My amygdala is currently going nuts trying to decide whether to classify that thing as a horrifying giant bug or an adorable land lobster :razz:

Well, let's throw a bit more confusion to your brain meats and look at the tailless whip scorpion, another harmless giant bug pet.
    Spoilered again for the same reasons.
    To bring it back on topic (sort of) how hard would it be to paint up a tyranid swarm like these guys?

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Calica wrote: »
    eepnk2hcvvpz.jpg

x2bytakqcese.jpg

Well, let's throw a bit more confusion to your brain meats and look at the tailless whip scorpion, another harmless giant bug pet.
    Spoilered again for the same reasons.
    To bring it back on topic (sort of) how hard would it be to paint up a tyranid swarm like these guys?

WAIT THOSE THINGS ARE REAL?!?!?!?! Dangit....

Edit: I gotta quit clicking on those spoilers. Here I only thought crickets/grasshoppers were creepy. I need to see painted neat things to cleanse my eyes.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    For a while I wanted the tailless whip scorpion, and I still think they're super neat, but they're much harder to get than vinegaroons in my area, plus they seem extra reclusive and also their humidity requirements are trickier. I'm more comfortable with that sort of thing now that I've got some invert experience under my belt, but yeah.

I really love the tailless whip scorpion specifically for how powerful a lesson in prejudice it is. It truly looks designed to give human children nightmares, but is incapable of harming us and just wants peace and quiet.

And the occasional live animal to maul and devour with gnashing, claw-like mouthparts.

anyway painting

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a basing guide they use/like I could take a look at? I bought some of the The Army Painter base stuff (Brown Battlefield I think it's called) and it seems like a cool way to add some character to the figures, but I've been so focused on painting and just the brown field stuff looks lazy. Mostly I've been using Reaper minis who usually have a decorative base of some source built into the figures, but I'm usually not in love with them and I'd rather have more regular basing for minis that will be used in play.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a basing guide they use/like I could take a look at? I bought some of the The Army Painter base stuff (Brown Battlefield I think it's called) and it seems like a cool way to add some character to the figures, but I've been so focused on painting and just the brown field stuff looks lazy. Mostly I've been using Reaper minis who usually have a decorative base of some source built into the figures, but I'm usually not in love with them and I'd rather have more regular basing for minis that will be used in play.

Its not nearly as complicated as you might be thinking. Get some white glue, spread it somewhat evenly, these will help a lot there, sprinkle the stuff on heavily and let it sit for a day. Gently tap on the side to knock of whatever didn't land in glue. You can gently dry brush it with whatever colors after that if you want.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Grasses, mosses and rocks make a lot of impact too. I love making rock out of cork. It's a lot of fun.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I’m still pretty new to the hobby but I have been using the contents of tea bags as ground clutter/leaves. Can easily make autumn, spring, etc with different types of tea

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Not posted anything for ages, so have a pic of my Goliath gang

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Does this work?
    And they are done! 45 days ago the lads were a pile of sprue and hopes and dreams. Countless paint chips, more than 100 pieces of freehand and a shit tonne of weathering powder later, they are finished. 2000 points of Raptors ready to take #bladestorm2021 by, well, storm! Feeling very tired and also proud.

Copying Dayspring and doing an Insta because how do videos even work?

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    That's a fantastic looking force

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Dropper bottle? More like popper bottle
    87ks2f1zm4r3.jpg
    Managed to splatter the desk, curtains, couch, speaker, shelf, floor, and myself.
    Fuck

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    oh no

Clog that suddenly gave way or popped the dropper top right out of the neck of the bottle?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The latter. There goes my painting time for this week. Sigh.

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    A group shot on the way to 2000 pts. Another unit of Rockguts plus the Troll Hag and basically done, if you don't their gigantic loonshrine terrain that I've been avoiding...

l6R6pVU.jpg

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    y3lGJPV.jpg

K7a1Ekl.jpg

Pushed the boat out a bit on this guys cape.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    @Asher

That army is rad

And the fact that you got it done entirely in 45 days is incredibly impressive.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Thanks Khraul!

Cape looks amazing J! Distressed leather is fun hey? I did it on a bunch of my Raptors, and then completely covered it with weathering powder so you can't see any of the detail because I am a super genius galaxy brain.

• Options
    Tell me more about this weathering powder

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Jebus fuck guys, way to make the rest of us look like slackers.

(No but srsly, all that upthread is fucking gobsmacking good! Good job y'all!)

@Asher
    That fleeting, tantalizing moment when the camera focuses deep into the background past the figs....what's back there, one wonders?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Tell me more about this weathering powder

Ok so the weathering powder you can buy from hobby stores is basically just ground pigment. The normal way of apply it is to get a rubbish brush (you are consigning itto death) and jsut get some powder on the tip of it and work it into recesses, like joins in armour. This gives the impression that dust and dirt has got worked into stuff. Model tank dudes use it all the time to make their tonks look really filthy. I've basically jsut fucked up the lower 1/3 of my marines with it to make it look like they've been hard campaigning in the desert
    Nips wrote: »
    Jebus fuck guys, way to make the rest of us look like slackers.

(No but srsly, all that upthread is fucking gobsmacking good! Good job y'all!)

@Asher
    That fleeting, tantalizing moment when the camera focuses deep into the background past the figs....what's back there, one wonders?
    Sadly, nothing that exciting, :p just a few tubs of terrain and a neglected Stark army for ASOIAF that I've got tucked away in my car port.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Do you seal your powders with a spray varnish or white spirits, or just let it hang out and rub off on stuff?
    I always found as soon as I do anything to set powders, they instantly lose 90% of their dusty look.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Do you seal your powders with a spray varnish or white spirits, or just let it hang out and rub off on stuff?
    I always found as soon as I do anything to set powders, they instantly lose 90% of their dusty look.
    The trick I use (when I use powders at al which isn’t often) is to water down some matte varnish about 50% then just touch the brush to the very edge of where the pigment is, and let capillary action suck it into and under the pigment. Got that from the Forge World stand at games day a while back. Seems like direct application moves the powder around too much no matter what you’re using.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    McGibs wrote: »
    The trick I use (when I use powders at al which isn’t often) is to water down some matte varnish about 50% then just touch the brush to the very edge of where the pigment is, and let capillary action suck it into and under the pigment. Got that from the Forge World stand at games day a while back. Seems like direct application moves the powder around too much no matter what you’re using.

That's fascinating. I've mostly avoided weathering powders because I thought them un-varnishable.

• Options
    Even with pigment fixer especially light pigments always turned too dark and not dusty for me. Haven't tried that method yet though. Might have to give it a go

• Options
    Yeah I just don't set them because I'm worried about the darkening. As a result I tend to go heavy, knowing a bunch will rub off