As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Byleth was always going to get in eventually. Before today I would have guessed at the start of the Season 2 pass rather than the end of Season 1, but regardless Nintendo has always been aggressive about using Smash to copromote Fire Emblem.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    These Mii outfits are more exciting than the main fighters lately. I think the next Smash game should expand the custom fighter system more, and focus more on full model swaps that are not Mii outfits like Cuphead.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    How do you punish tether recoveries? If they pull up the second they grab it feels like they're invulnerable for almost the entire animation. I've never managed to stage spike or two frame them, and my friends are Joker and PT mains.

Edit: Wait no I have two-framed Ivy with Wolf dsmash a couple of times. But it feels a lot tighter than 'normal' recoveries

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    How do you punish tether recoveries? If they pull up the second they grab it feels like they're invulnerable for almost the entire animation. I've never managed to stage spike or two frame them, and my friends are Joker and PT mains.

Edit: Wait no I have two-framed Ivy with Wolf dsmash a couple of times. But it feels a lot tighter than 'normal' recoveries

Yeah I use a down tilt for Palutena or side B with 0SS (off-ledge). I miss a lot, but I think being not a great player this is to be expected.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Talith wrote: »
    Well I'm hyped for Byleth. Sakurai being a huge fucking nerd to keep the direct entertaining is a bonus.

Hah, in the comment thread (this picture was posted back in September!), someone joked that Byleth should work like Pokemon Trainer and switch between commanding Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    As a K Rool player, I find that a common tactic to puniah recoveries that require you to approach low on a predictable path is to jump down and spike the person before they can engage the recovery move. I get bopped a lot trying to use that helicopter.

Enlong on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    As a K Rool player, I find that a common tactic to puniah recoveries that require you to approach low on a predictable path is to jump down and spike the person before they can engage the recovery move. I get bopped a lot trying to use that helicopter.

Tethers don't have that requirement, sadly. Almost all of them can snap to ledge from a wide variety of angles. I'm pretty sure Joker can tether to ledge when he's above it, ffs

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Well this has cemented my decision to never pre-pay for DLC content again. Not a single one of these DLC fighters interests me.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I pre-pay because my friends may be interested in Hero or Terry more than I. Also for the rare occasion I go to a tournament and they need another setup.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited January 2020
    Yeah if you didn't have an incentive to own the full roster (playing [semi-]competitively, collecting, etc) there's not much reason to prepurchase the passes.

Even though I'll likely end up playing precisely 0 of the first pass chars (we'll see how Byleth goes), I'm getting the next pass because I can't be having people over to smash and say I don't own their main. Nor bring a setup to a tourney, but then the monitors are always the choke point there.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Which is why I love that Sakurai and the little text blurb outright said "Please don't preorder this blind fighter pass if you're not OK with the contents being unknown!".

Nintendo's mobile game is just as dirty as the rest, but man I really do like their general console DLC handling.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I still stand by my want of Triclyde.

Imagine the throws a 3 headed snakey boi could do.

Sterica wrote: »
    I pre-pay because my friends may be interested in Hero or Terry more than I. Also for the rare occasion I go to a tournament and they need another setup.

I'm fortunate the big boss at work provides us with all the DLC we could want, so I get to try out the DLC characters during our lunch sessions.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I pre-pay as I'm sure there are some that come to my Smash Bros get togethers that would like the dlc characters. It has also introduced me to characters I might otherwise not know. Like I said, the only dud so far for me is Hero who I don't find fun at all. Joker and Terry were much for fun to play that I thought they would be.

Plus in fun matches with my kids, we play even characters we are not good with or like just for the fun of it. Having more characters to choose from isn't bad for me.

I just hope we get a physical release after all the dlc is done with everything on disc.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    So Rex's game came out too late to make the roster but Byleth's game came out eighteen months later and could make the roster...

Seeing as this next pass goes until December 2021, there could be a fighter from a game that wont be out until mid 2021. Depending on if Sakurai gets to play an advanced copy.
    It could even be another Fire Emblem.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, personally, I don't really regret getting the fighter's pass even if the only character in it who I wanted beforehand was Banjo. Because as it turns out, I actually really enjoy playing Joker and Terry! (in fact, Joker is my second main by now). I would never have bought them individually. While I would probably have bought Banjo and then it'd turn out he doesn't gel with me.

That's the thing with Smash, you never know if the character you like will also be a character you enjoy playing, or vice versa.

Really, the only one where I'm fully bleh is Hero, who does nothing for me either in coolness or play. So yeah, I'll probably pick up Season Pass 2? I generally trust Sakurai to make more good stuff than duds, on the whole.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    I mean I don't think anybody should have been expecting a guarantee that most or even any of the DLC characters would be personally interesting to them. Obviously it only makes sense to pre-pay for the fighter pack if you just must have every character regardless.

The only characters that have really clicked with me are 0SS, Palutena, Yoshi, and Ryu.

We do tournaments at work where the next person picks for you, total randoms, etc, and I've played a ton of the cast... there's just something about those 4 that works for me. Especially 0SS (there is nothing better in this game than a flip kick sweet spot that rockets a 60% opp straight down), but I think I'm at a skill block with her where I need to try and master another character so I can get Smash down instead of just a character in Smash.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So six more fighters means

Dante
    Sora
    2B or Akira Howard
    Professor Layton or Pheonix Wright
    Geralt or Monster Hunter
    Viewtiful Joe, and a Waluigi Mii fighter costume.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Or 6 more Fire Emblem characters.

Talith wrote: »
    So six more fighters means

Dante
    Sora
    2B or Akira Howard
    Professor Layton or Pheonix Wright
    Geralt or Monster Hunter
    Viewtiful Joe, and a Waluigi Mii fighter costume.

Honestly, of those Geralt strikes me as the most likely. Dude is fucking EVERYWHERE lately.

Seriously, he's a character in DaemonXMachina! That is a fucking Armored Core game! Why is Geralt of Rivia in a mecha game!

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Weird thread title. It's spelled D-O-R-O-T-H-E-A.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    If we’re doing wishlists…
    • Ivy Valentine (plays like a Belmont crossed with Bayonetta)
    • Linkle (because crossbows)
    • Shantae (because beating people to death with weaponised hair is inherently hilarious)
    • Twintelle (see above)
    • Blaze (pure nostalgia mostly but also because she could have an item-summoning mechanic like Peach but with knives and old pipework)
    • Ghirahim (because Skyward Sword doesn’t get enough love, but we don’t need a fourth fifth Link)

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Zek wrote: »
    I mean I don't think anybody should have been expecting a guarantee that most or even any of the DLC characters would be personally interesting to them. Obviously it only makes sense to pre-pay for the fighter pack if you just must have every character regardless.

I grabbed the pass because I was hella full of Smash hype at the time and the Ultimate new-comers (Simon! Ridley! K Rool! Piranha Plant!) earned a lot of good will with me. I figured out of 5 fighters at least one would make it worthwhile. I was wrong. Admittedly that's on me, but it doesn't do anything to temper my disappointment. I'd still be disappointed with the DLC roster if I hadn't paid for them.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited January 2020
    Triclyde
    Amaterasu
    Nero
    Gau (FF6)
    Alucard (Symphony of the Night version)
    Urbosa

(Edit: Yes I know, "spirits", but really that doesn't count)

jungleroomx on
    Da Wishlist:
    1) Ratchet & Clank
    2) Other PS1/2 icons (Spyro, Crash, Jak'n'Dax)
    3) Wolf Link/Amaterasu echoes
    4) Ayla
    5) CJ
    6) like thirty Pokémon
    7) Shantae
    8) Waluigi
    9) Hollow Knight rep
    10) Yrel
    11) the Vault Dweller
    12) Doctor Bowser
    13) Bandana Dee
    14) The Escape Goat & Magic Mouse

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    My wishlist.

1: uh
    2: um
    3: ...
    4: Ammy, i guess?

Seriously, though, whenever someone asks me who I’d like to see added, my mind just blanks.

edited January 2020
    Challenger Pack Series 2 is all about justice for the neglected sports game characters.

WALUIGI
    Toad/Toadette
    Koopa Troopa/Dry Bones
    Birdo
    Kamek
    Baby Mario & Luigi

Zek on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Wishlist:

1. KOS-MOS
    2. Rex & Pyra
    3. Akira Howard
    4. Dante
    5. Travis Touchdown
    6. Sephiroth

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    None of the DLC characters did it for me. But I didn't buy the fighter's pass, as Sakurai suggested. I still won't get it unless they put it on sale or something.

Oh well, maybe one of the next six characters will be exciting.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    1. Travis Touchdown
    2. Spyro/Crash
    3. Geno
    4. Sora
    5. Leon (Resident Evil)
    6. Pokemon rep

Waluigi is a Mii Fighter costume because they are cruel.

I dunno. At this point, just no more Fire Emblem characters. Give me a Castle Crashers knight. Alternate costumes are all the colors + Necromancer. Or just put in the Necromancer.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    Personally, I'm just along for the ride. We'll see who Sakurai manages to nab. Cause, like, the characters I'd be excited for in a vacuum are probably not going to happen (say, a proper Undertale rep, or a bunch of characters that are not actually the main characters of their games and so will always get sidelined), but I'm willing to let Sakurai impress me. I certainly gave negative fucks about Terry Bogard and he managed to sell him to me!

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I would like Karnov as a fighter.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      edited January 2020
      TimFiji wrote: »
      I would like Karnov as a fighter.

Man when Escape from Tarkov came out I immediately thought it was a remake of Karnov (until I saw it), but I could never for the life of me remember the name but I remembered the artwork and it's been driving me nuts forever

jungleroomx on
      So if I’d get my hopes up in the next round of DLC I’d want:

1. Shantae
      2. Impa (It would be nice to get a new Zelda character that isn’t another Link.)
      3. Mach Rider
      4. Ashley from Wario Ware
      5. Geno (He doesn’t do anything for me but I’d like to see his fans finally get what they want. Screw Waluigi though.)
      6. Mayor Mike Haggar

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
      Between you and me, what actually is a Mach Rider? I keep thinking of Mech Rider from Secret of Mana, as I’ve never played the game Mach Rider.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
      a mysterious motorcycle rider on a post-apocalyptic highway, with their bike mad max'd out with machine guns and stuff, I believe

BahamutZERO.gif
      edited January 2020
      Mach Rider is a post apocalyptic motorcycle rider. Kind of a mysterious character, possibly a woman base on the arcade ending.

Think Samus on a bike. What’s not to like?

Mainly I’d want to see Sakurai reinvent the character, like he did for Pit.

RidleySaria on
    • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
      See, now you’ve got me nostalgic for Road Rash. Was that ever on a Nintendo console? Road Rash Guy with bike chain flail and three nitro-boosts per stock would fit, no?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
      Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
      DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.