As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Carmen Sandiego’s Classic Mode is called Where On Earth?

Each match consists of her visiting a prominent location from a different Nintendo world and taking something.

First stage is Kongo Jungle vs Donkey Kong. Carmen starts equipped with a Blue Shell.
    Second is Prism Tower vs Pokémon Trainer. Carmen starts with a Banana Gun.
    Third is Gerudo Valley vs Zelda. Carmen starts with a Master Ball.
    Fourth is Brinstar Depths vs Samus. Carmen starts with a Fairy Bottle.
    Fifth is Pilotwings vs a Mii Fighter trio. Carmen starts with a Screw Attack.
    Sixth is Skyworld vs Palutena and Pit. Carmen starts with a Rocket Belt.

Finally, the last stage is Carmen and Bowser vs a powered-up Luigi on FD VILE Headquarters (Carmen’s stage). Carmen starts with an Ore Club.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Carmen Sandiego would just be a female joker.

Change my mind.

Well, no Arsene or any other persona seems like a pretty significant difference. Also no fire spell for her side special. When you were getting close to a criminal you'd get an animation of being attacked/threatened (like a dagger being thrown from one side of the frame and embedding in the other), but I don't recall if pistols were ever used?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Carmen Sandiego's down smash would be like PacMans, except instead of a fire hydrant it's a stack of almanacs.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Something should be done with the concept of her being able to steal anything. Like say, steal some aspect of an opponent like a move or gimmick so they can't use it, or maybe just their voice so they're silent until they get it back. Steal a stage hazard causing it to stop occuring. Steal the Final Smash meter so it can't be charged.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Something should be done with the concept of her being able to steal anything. Like say, steal some aspect of an opponent like a move or gimmick so they can't use it, or maybe just their voice so they're silent until they get it back. Steal a stage hazard causing it to stop occuring. Steal the Final Smash meter so it can't be charged.

So now I'm envisioning a mix of Kirby and Sheik

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    • Neutral special: Villager/Isabelle's pocket
    • Up special: Joker's grappling hook
    • Side special: Fox Illusion, but she also steals an item if anyone in her path is holding one
    • Down special: V.I.L.E. Henchperson - spawns a minion who performs a simple action, but it's random which one you get (things like Zelda's phantom slash, Duck Hunt's wild gunman, etc)
    • Final smash: something involving time travel?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    • Neutral special: Villager/Isabelle's pocket
    • Up special: Joker's grappling hook
    • Side special: Fox Illusion, but she also steals an item if anyone in her path is holding one
    • Down special: V.I.L.E. Henchperson - spawns a minion who performs a simple action, but it's random which one you get (things like Zelda's phantom slash, Duck Hunt's wild gunman, etc)
    • Final smash: something involving time travel?

Final smash: Steals opponent's entire moveset and deals massive damage. They're reduced to running and jumping with no attacks for a period.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I got it, her final smash is using the time machine from Where In Time to go to the past, steal a dinosaur, which then wrecks everyone on stage.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I’m down if only for the amazing Rockapella remix we’d get.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    How about just stealing the whole stage? Do it cheap digital editing style like the show.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    If the new cartoon is getting another season, they probably want to base it off that

• Options
    Kunio-kun Spirit event put a bit of a damper on my hopes for a DLC character, but at least it's some representation. Billy and Jimmy's expies are there, but they themselves aren't, them and Abobo still have a chance.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Id like a King Hippo or a Piston Honda.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Kunio-kun Spirit event put a bit of a damper on my hopes for a DLC character, but at least it's some representation. Billy and Jimmy's expies are there, but they themselves aren't, them and Abobo still have a chance.

We got Bimmy and Jammy spirits?

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

We got Bimmy and Jammy spirits?
    The twin Chinese bosses from River City Ransom that had the Double Dragon theme as their boss music, and in the GBA remake were given the Hyper Knee and Hyper Uppercut moves.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Genesis 7 is live btw. Smash Ultimate and Melee single pools going on.

https://www.twitch.tv/btssmash2/squad

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I have mixed feelings about the Kunio-Kun spirits. I’m glad the series is being represented but why did they go with in-game sprites? The vast majority of spirits use official artwork. They’re inconsistent with the rest of the collection.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I'm guessing the sprites are more iconic.

• Options
    I considered that but to my knowledge there aren’t even sprite based spirits for Mario, Zelda, etc. Those are nothing if not iconic.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I considered that but to my knowledge there aren’t even sprite based spirits for Mario, Zelda, etc. Those are nothing if not iconic.

As someone born after the SNES came out, I disagree. Mario and Zelda have over two decades of representation in hallmark 3D games. Their iconocity defies the medium.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    There are sprite spirits for the Mother series, IIRC. Characters like EVE, Flint, Hinawa, and the like.

• Options
    In Mother 3's case I believe there isn't any official art for the characters other than the sprites and concept art. Could've sworn there was a model of Mother's EVE, but perhaps there isn't one.

• Options
    Okay so, 4 matches deep against byleths and not really impressed so far

• Options
    Ok nvm just got fucking mopped up

• Options
    Oh wait shit it dropped today?

• Options
    Oh wait shit it dropped today?

Yeah.

Belmont-ish recovery but hits like a fucking train

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Also remember that Cuphead is out today too. I normally don't buy mii costumes, but just had to for this one.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Oh nice. The special event spirits are back on the board. I missed the Tetris and Daemon X Machina spirits because I didn't see the notice that they were added. Got em now!

It would be nice to have access to the DLC spirit battles but I don't want the new fighters. I've noticed they at least show up in the shop (some for quite a few coins, unfortunately).

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Yooo

YOOOO

Byleth's lower stage kill game AND edgeguard defense is fucking disgusting.

That up B sword thing propels her up after the hit and after (I think) 70% its a spike on the opponet. AND you can use it again. I killed 2 guys coming off the stage to edgeguard low/underneath after I had been knocked off the stage. I got a few more people by hopping off the stage underneath them after I sent them off and just spiking the shit out of them.

It's easily as long as Joker's line, too.

Forget what I said about "Belmont-ish" recovery.

Edit: I'm just eating crow about complaining about the FE stuff. They went out of their way to make Byleth play completely differently. Somewhere inbetween Palutena's, Ganondorf, and Simon with a nastier but more precise version of Isabelle's fishing line. The 4 weapon thing is nothing special, really, as far as I can see here. It's just like any other character where some attacks have range and some don't.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I’m very happy the character turned out good for you (or at least, turned out better than expected).

• Options
    I’m very happy the character turned out good for you (or at least, turned out better than expected).

Wont replace ZSS for me but it's nice playing a heavy hitter for once.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Still disappointed in the theme of the character, but I'm sure they're a boss.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    There's a fair amount of fighter adustments in this patch, if you're interested.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    “Made the lips briefly invincible when deactivating shield.”

• Options
    Yeah they gave everyone a shield boost because they gave Byleth 2 attacks that would've been 100% shieldbreakers otherwise.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So, I got to playing this a bit, which I hadn't played since a while ago, and um. Did they buff incineroar? Or is he just particularly good against Byleth? Because I picked him because I didn't want to tank the GSP of my good characters before I de-rusted a bit, and I had him at 2M GSP last time... and I just got him from 2M to 6M GSP from nonstop dunking on Byleth players. He's like my third best rated character right now, after Joker and KRool.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Incineroar has gotten a few buffs over the patches, yes. He got some recovery boosts and I think power/launch distance boosts.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    That was also a lot of day 1 Byleths.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    That was also a lot of day 1 Byleths.

Yeah, but I'm me, which is to say, really bad in general and also not having played since, like, november, when I played a smattering of games before leaving again. I feel like the circumstantial badness in one side cancels the circumstantial badness on the other side! It's why I wondered if Incineroar was particularly good against Byleth, because he sure felt like it. When I tried to do a couple games on Ness I got dunked.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    There's a fair amount of fighter adustments in this patch, if you're interested.

Mmm Zelda buffs, hell yeah.