As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I love these livestream-style directs. Sakurai's such a charming goofball.

Anyway, my money's on the next character showing up at the Video Game Awards next month. Nintendo's consistently brought new stuff to those the last few years.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    When Terry being released?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      Tonight with 6.0

YL9WnCY.png
    • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
      he's out already

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
      Yay, you can change rules without remaking the room! Easier to switch between hazards and non hazards versions of stages.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
      Anyone have first hand impressions?

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
      I haven't watched the stream yet, but I can only assume Terry's performance is directly proportional to his damage percentage?

Lucario has a ton of crazy combos at 999% damage too, and a KO from off the edge of the platform at 100% is pretty common for a lot of characters.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
      edited November 2019
      Patch notes.

DK, Kirby, Jiggly, Robin, Krool, and Incineroar buffs.
      Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Update Ver.6.0.0 - Fighter and Item Adjustments
      Applies to: Nintendo Switch Lite, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Family

Fighter Adjustments
      Fighter Move Change

Donkey Kong Side Tilt Attack Extended launch distance.
      Donkey Kong Neutral Air Attack Increased power.
      Increased attack range.
      Donkey Kong Neutral Special Extended fully charged launch distance.
      Shortened the charge time until reaching max charge.
      Donkey Kong Up Special Increased the speed that super armor activates when using the move on the ground.
      Made it easier to hit multiple times when hitting an airborne opponent when using the
      move on the ground, and extended the last attack’s launch distance.
      Donkey Kong Down Special Increased attack speed when using the move on the ground.
      Reduced vulnerability when using the move on the ground.

Kirby Neutral Attack 1 Increased attack speed.
      Kirby Up Smash Attack Extended launch distance when hit in the low-damage range.
      Kirby Neutral Air Attack Increased attack speed.
      Extended launch distance when hit in the high-damage range.
      Kirby Up Air Attack Increased attack speed.
      Increased power.
      Extended launch distance.
      Kirby Neutral Special Reduced start time for Inhale.
      Made it harder to disrupt Kirby's Copy Ability.

Jigglypuff Air Dodge Reduced vulnerability.
      Jigglypuff Moving Air Dodge Reduced vulnerability.
      Jigglypuff Down Air Attack Shortened the landing time after using the move.
      Reduced vulnerability when landing after using the move.
      Jigglypuff Forward Throw Adjusted launch angle.
      Jigglypuff Neutral Special Shortened the charge time until reaching max charge.
      Jigglypuff Side Special Increased the duration of the damage animation when the move hits.
      Increased the opponent’s downtime when shielded.

Robin Side Tilt Attack Extended launch distance.
      Robin Neutral Air Attack Increased attack speed.
      Robin Neutral Special Shortened the time it takes to change to a more powerful spell.
      Robin Side Special Extended the duration of the fireball.
      The duration of the pillar of fire is not affected.
      Robin Other Increased the recharging effect smash attacks have on the Levin Sword.

King K. Rool Neutral Air Attack Reduced vulnerability when landing after using the move.
      King K. Rool Forward Air Attack Increased power of the high-damage range.
      Increased attack range of the high-damage-range attack and increased the duration.
      King K. Rool Up Air Attack Increased the amount of time hit detection lasts.
      Extended launch distance for the high-damage range.
      King K. Rool Neutral Special Increased attack speed.
      Made it easier to vacuum up the Kannonball.
      Shortened the time needed to shoot out the vacuumed Kannonball.
      Extended launch distance when hit with the Kannonball.
      King K. Rool Down Special Reduced vulnerability when the counter succeeds.
      Increased the range the counter counts as a success.
      Increased the high-damage range.

Incineroar Neutral Attack 3 Increased power.
      Extended launch distance.
      Incineroar Forward Air Attack Increased the amount of time hit detection lasts.
      Decreased power for the latter half of the time hit detection lasts.
      Incineroar Down Air Attack Made it easier to trigger a meteor effect when you hit with the high-damage range.
      Incineroar Neutral Special Increased the power at the beginning of the move.
      Increased the range at the beginning of the move and increased the duration of the move.
      Incineroar Down Special Increased the amount of time the damage-reducing pose is effective.
      Extended launch distance of the flames after receiving an opponent's attack.
      Reduced vulnerability when receiving or not receiving an opponent’s attack.
      Hero Neutral Special After Kafrizz hits a fighter or the stage and explodes, Gravitational Pull or Pocket will have
      no effect on the explosion.

KoopahTroopah on
    • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
      the puff got buffed!

Those Krool and Kirby buffs are pretty nutty. Excited to dive in when I get home.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      The Dedede bar fanart but it’s Little Mac

YL9WnCY.png
    • IblisIblis Registered User regular
      Anyone have first hand impressions?

Only played him briefly, but his inputs are pretty easy to get and he seems to deal some good damage with some very easy combos so far.
      Javen wrote: »
      I haven't watched the stream yet, but I can only assume Terry's performance is directly proportional to his damage percentage?

Lucario has a ton of crazy combos at 999% damage too, and a KO from off the edge of the platform at 100% is pretty common for a lot of characters.

Not quite. After 100% he gets access to his Power Geyser and Buster Wolf moves.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

OH SHIT. I thought about that for a second when dair got hit but was like "nah, that can't possibly be it."

But it is. Holy.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

OH SHIT. I thought about that for a second when dair got hit but was like "nah, that can't possibly be it."

But it is. Holy.

Ehhh not THAT consistent. Even in practice it seems there's still angles where you'll fall asleep right next to them. More consistent than it used to be, but yeah.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
      terry reminds me of a medium-weight mix of ganondorf and little mac.

Yeah, he is quirky to play against, it seems like you can shield a ton of his moves though which make for good defense against him. If he whiffs he is open for a good bit, but his ability to land hits while keeping his vulnerability hit box safe seems pretty strong.

On the other hand, I feel like d-airing on Kirby barely wins contesting hits. Like Terry's legs are sword hitboxes almost.

edited November 2019
      His hitboxes are really good but really narrow. Uair is very weird to land but when you get it going it's great.

So yeah Terry is really fun. It's a blessing that all of his specials pretty much do the same thing, because I absolutely try to command input one and get another a lot. The only downside being sometimes I somesault at ledge by accident and by the time I realize what happened I can't make it back.

His shield pressure is NUTTY. Yeah, if he forward B's into your shield he's free, but I'm regularly doing things like fastfall nair dtilt power dive that pokes shield in a blink and can kill later.

Edit: Nair or dtilt into command forward b are super easy and satisfying kill confirms, and they work foreveeeer.

The Escape Goat on
      9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
      Wait...so Bayonetta can make it in but Mai can't?

Bayo's whole thing is literally losing her clothes the harder she fights and she shoots people in the face with real guns.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
      Dr. Chaos wrote: »
      Wait...so Bayonetta can make it in but Mai can't?

Bayo's whole thing is literally losing her clothes the harder she fights and she shoots people in the face with real guns.

You'll note that she doesn't lose her clothes in Smash, though. There's very little bare skin shown in the game.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
      This is all fine as long as Doom Guy can still make it in somehow.

Never played a Doom game but I know that guy has a chainsaw and I need it.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
      Yeah, like Bayo will lose her clothes in some special attacks, but the camera and her hair always covers her up
      Basically every single sprite of Mai has cleavage that goes down to her knees

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
      Yep, everyone who knows who Mai is also knows making her CERO A complient removes the sole point of having her cameo. Bayonetta at least has gameplay and (other kinds of) specticle in and outside of Smash to fall back on as justification for her existence.

Looks like the Fatal Furies and the The King of Fighters games on eShop are half off in promotion of Terry's release, so anyone who went "who?" can see for themselves what the fuss is about.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      So a couple things about Terry.

#1 - He is a blast to play

#2 - Can we just get a let's play channel with Sakurai. The man has such a passion for video games and its history. I loved watching the stream because you can tell he loves Terry and SNK and their history of fighting games.
      It was a joy to watch.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cahr8QMeHU

Also, this is a great video. Max also loves fighting games and SNK. Watching him react to Sakurai's love of SNK is kind of wonderful.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
      Looks like the Fatal Furies and the The King of Fighters games on eShop are half off in promotion of Terry's release, so anyone who went "who?" can see for themselves what the fuss is about.

If I was going to purchase one of the discounted Fatal Fury or King of Fighters games, which would should I pick up?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
      Zonugal wrote: »

If I was going to purchase one of the discounted Fatal Fury or King of Fighters games, which would should I pick up?

According to Sakurai, Real Bout: Fatal Fury Special, KOF 95, or KOF 98

edited November 2019
      ugh, the game is being especially garbage to me when I'm in my friends' arenas for some reason. Yesterday I was trying new Puff and kept getting phantom jumps and aerials I didn't input that fucked up any positioning or combos I tried. Play quickplay with Terry, I'm in (inasmuch as you can be day 1) full control of his inputs. Play Puff against Blackbeard for an hour, absolutely no trouble.

Tonight, try and bring Terry into the friend arena? Every input is reading as a different one. I try to burning knuckle, I power drop. I try to crackshot, I burning knuckle. Constantly getting the rising tackle command input in the air even though I can't figure out how to do that in practice mode. I try to fuckin' backair and get crackshot instead. So none of my combos connect because the right move isn't coming out, I'm constantly throwing myself out of position with the wrong move, or just straight SDing. I don't fucking know what's up.

The Escape Goat on
      9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
      After playing this game pretty faithfully at work for a while I decided to pick up a Switch for this.

Also the other games but I'm so damn close to nailing 0SS's ladder combos, and it's extremely difficult to practice it with the 6-7 man FFA's we have in the office (outside tournaments).

After playing this game pretty faithfully at work for a while I decided to pick up a Switch for this.

Also the other games but I'm so damn close to nailing 0SS's ladder combos, and it's extremely difficult to practice it with the 6-7 man FFA's we have in the office (outside tournaments).

Join the discord in the second post! We do friendlies in there every so often. A bunch of us play heavies so you can combo us all day, too.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
      edited November 2019
      Wait so why does Terry, a fighter that hits hard as shit anyway, get a moves that hit almost as hard as a final smash as a normal moveset?

jungleroomx on
    • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      Because it’s no easier to land or harder to block than any other move

edited November 2019
      Enlong wrote: »
      Because it’s no easier to land or harder to block than any other move

Interesting reason I suppose.

Why not just make every single move in the game a 1 hit kill then?

jungleroomx on

to make matches last longer.

alternately: have you played divekick?

edited November 2019
      Lucedes wrote: »

to make matches last longer.

alternately: have you played divekick?

I never did end up playing divekick, but I've watched enough streams.

I'm just pissy because they pretty much just made a Poochie Ryu. "What if we make Terry like the SF characters, except better, faster, with more move priority, hit harder, more range, plus the super meters?" My inner fanboy is screaming with rage!

jungleroomx on
      terry is significantly slower though

• dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
      There's no way to do squad strike online right? Because I've been playing around with 3v3 tag team on kof stadium and it's fucking incredible

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843